Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shair Aur Sargam
Hamara Forums > Music > Sangeet Ke Sitarey
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
swarapriya
(Hasrat Jaipuri & Shailendra) April Fool (1964)

Shankar & Jaikishan made sure that this day, April 1, celebrated as an All Fool's Day around the world, will be remembered by the Indian music lovers forever by composing some of their beautiful and memorable music for this film. Subodh Mukherjee, who introduced Saira Banu in "Junglee" in 1960, is back here with another winner with her in this film.

All songs from this film were chart busters. S&J were assisted by Sebastian and Dattaram.

The song “Aa Gale Lag Jaa” I am uploading here has over 5 minutes of music preceding it. This is the “Pool Aquatics Show” in the movie. I am also uploading this separately as a music clip in the third post.

I am uploading all of the hit songs plus a few music clips from the film in three back-to-back posts. Here is the first set of songs…
swarapriya
Continuing Songs from "April Fool (1964)"...

Here are the rest of the songs from this popular musical...
swarapriya
Music Clips from "April Fool (1964)"...

Here are a few music clips from the film...
swarapriya
(Anand Bakshi) Naya Zamana (1971)

The title may have “Naya” but there is nothing new or novel about this film. The story for few scenes has shades of Great Guru Dutt’s 1957 classic film “Pyaasa”. That movie is now considered to be one of the 100 best films ever made in the world. But this movie does great injustice by even thinking about and using some of the spirit of Guru’s unforgettable heart grabber.

Even the so reliable Burmanda comes up with a below average score for him. One might argue that “Duniya” was a chartbuster. Nonetheless I stick to my opinion.

However, I should mention about the great veteran actor Pran. He had a prominent role in the film and does come through as what a versatile and consummate artist he was. An excellent piece of artistry. We miss you Pran Saab!

Here are all the songs from the film…
swarapriya
(Hasrat Jaipuri) Naya Kanoon (1965)

Here is a movie that will be remembered for its beautiful music by Madan Mohanji and touching lyrics by Hasrat Jaipuri. Of the 110 or so movies Mohanji composed music for, it usually had many memorable songs by Lataji. This movie had no songs by Lataji. Instead this time it is Ashaji. Even though she had a couple of good numbers, it was Rafi Saab who steals the show. He sang a lovely romantic song “Kuchh Aisi Pyaari”. There are two deeply touching songs, only Rafi Saab can sing with so much pain, “Shamma Mein” and “Unhein Qissa-E-Gham”. Love you Rafi Saab!

There is not much to write about the movie. Another hackneyed story recycled many times before. This one movie I was disappointed with Dadamoni’s performance. One of the main reasons is that he was playing an unsympathetic character that was not fully developed. Interestingly, the movie will be remembered for Om Prakash’s performance. His was the dominant role in the film and he does a splendid job.

Here are all the sons from the film…
swarapriya
(Majrooh) Meri Bhabhi (1969)

This movie started off with a lot of promise that it was going to blaze some new trail. But no sooner it ended up as a routine weeper drama packed with drenching emotions. LP also followed their successful formula pattern with familiar tunes and familiar music. Only difference this time the lyricist was Majrooh Sultanpuri and not Anand Bakshi.

Here are all the songs from the film…
swarapriya
(Rajinder Krishan) Khandan (1965)

Most Hindi films made in South during 1950’, 1960’s, and to some extent 1970’s were family dramas. Most of them invariably have joint families and have similar storylines. This formula seldom varied. This is yet another movie that stuck to the familiar pattern.

It was based on the 1959 Tamil hit “Bhaaga Pririvinai”. It was later made into a hit Telugu film. Hindi film followed these two.

The movie was a huge hit. There were a couple of reasons for it. One, the performance by the lead pair. Sunil Dutt took the Best Actor honors for playing a handicapped person. Another reason was its beautiful music by Ravi. Each of the song became a chartbuster. For his work he was awarded the Best Music Director Award. Also, Rajinder Krishanji’s lyrics played a big role in the popularity of the songs. Lyrics for his song “Tumhi Mere Mandir” bagged him the Best Lyricist Award. Lataji who sang the song, only one in the film for her, carried away the Best Female Singer Award.

I am uploading all songs and a few instrumentals in three back-to-back posts. Here are the songs in the first post…
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Khandan (1965)"...

Here are the rest of the songs from this film...
swarapriya
Few Instrumentals of the Songs from "Khandan (1965)"...

Here are a few instrumentals of the songs from this film...
swarapriya
(Shailendra) Apne Huye Paraye (1964)

I have already uploaded all songs from this film in a previous posting in this very thread. These are still available starting at the following location...

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...mp;#entry752043

swarapriya
(Anand Bakshi) Paraya Dhan (1971)

Most of this film happens in a small village in the foothills of mountains in Kulu Valley. There are only few villagers there and almost all of them are farmers. There is also a small school for children to young adults. Interestingly one finds that this school teaches fencing to its students. Even most universities in India do not support this sport. If at all it is done, usually through private sporting clubs. This is not the only anomaly. Most songs villagers sing has a touch of night clubbish tinge to them. Almost all songs are good if you hear them out of context, but they do not fit the subject. Even the song picturized on Balraj Sahni has a bit of yodeling goes along with it! I wonder if RD was instructed to compose such songs.

I am uploading all songs from this film and a couple of instrumentals in two back-to-back posts. Here are the songs in the first post…
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Paraya Dhan (1971)"...

Here are the rest of the songs from this film and a couple of instrumentals...
swarapriya
(Hasrat Jaipuri) Rishte Naate (1965)

If it is 1960’s and if it is a Hindi film made in South it must have a proven familiar familial story. This film is no different. There is nothing novel about it. You have seen a similar story before. You have encountered similar situations umpteen times in the films before.

Only thing that is desperately trying to redeem from this dismal outing is its music by Madan Mohan Saab. No matter how mediocre the subject is, he still delivered a beautiful score. There are only a few songs here but all are good.

The song “O Aa Ri” appeared three times in the film. All three have similar patterns and may not be too much different. I have decided to upload all three versions here. Also, the song “Sakhi Re” appeared twice in the film. Once gain they may not be different. I have decided to upload both versions for completeness sake.

My favorite of the album is the song “Mujhe Yaad”. This was a chart buster and a highly popular song. Here is this and rest of the songs from this film…
swarapriya
(Majrooh Sultanpuri) Prarthana (1969)

This movie has only three songs. I am uploading here two of them, both by Asha. One or both of these may have been contributed by the members of the Forum. Thank you anyway. The song “O Baawri” is simply a knockout. An absolute beauty.

I am missing one song, sung by Lataji. This is shown in red italics in the table below. Please kindly share if you have it. Thank you.

The missing song is a traditional devotional that is attributed to Meerabai. Many singers had their own interpretations of this song in their unique style. I am uploading three of them here; one by Jagjitji, another by Lakshmi Shankarji, and the third one by the legendary M.S. Subbulakshmi.

Here are these songs for you…
swarapriya
(Rajinder Krishan) Sikandar-E-Azam (1965)

In 1941, great Sohrab Modi who was famous for making historical dramas at an epic scale, produced and directed “Sikandar”. In that film young Prithviraj Kapoor played the title role and Modi the Indian King Puru. The movie was a rousing success and with its patriotic songs it further fueled the cause of civil disobedience against the British Rule. The movie was banned from further exhibition by Britishers but that only heightened the patriotic fervor.

In this 1965 version the title role is played by Dara Singh whereas Prithviraj Kapoor played Puru. Dara Singh looked mighty but his wooden expressions did not help the film to succeed. There are a few patriotic songs in this film and they and others comprise good set of music by Hansraj Behl.

I am uploading all songs and a few music clips from the film in two back-to-back posts. Here are songs in the first post…
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Sikandar-E-Azam (1965)"...

Here are the rest of the songs and a few music clips from this film...
swarapriya
(Shailendra) Ayee Milan Ki Bela (1964)

Songs from this hit musical were recently uploaded in this very thread. They are available starting at the following location...

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...mp;#entry752094

swarapriya
(Anand Bakshi) Sweetheart (1971)

There is almost no information available about this movie. It apparently was never released. That may be part of the reason why the information is hard to come by. However, four of the songs are widely available online. Also, Mukeshji’s song appears in some of his CD collections. I am uploading these songs here.

Pictures of Asha Parekh that are shown in the table below are from various other films.

Here are the four songs I have…
swarapriya
(Hasrat Jaipuri) Sherdil (1965)

Glory that was C. Ramchandra. It is hard to imagine that this very same music director who gave us unforgettable hits in “Albela (1951)”, “Anarkali (1953)”, “Navrang (1958)”, and host of other films composed music for this B-Grade film. It is not the grade of the film I have problem with. It is the composition of songs. Jaipuri Saab’s lyrics do not help either. Even Ashaji stumbles here with some of the words unintelligible and hard to understand. Only thing worth mentioning is the qawwali “Sambhla ke Aana”.

I am uploading this and other songs from this film below…
swarapriya
(Majrooh) Pyar ka Mausam (1969)

Ever since Nasir Husain made his smashing debut as a director with Filmistan’s “Tumsa Nahin Dekha”, his next several movies were only slight variation of the successful outing he had. Later he became a producer and made a series of hit films. Again several movies made under his banner all used pretty much the same formula and stuck to his original successful template. This film is no different.

Unfortunately somewhere along the merry ride of songfest the story became muddled. Rajendra Nath had too much of screen time playing an idiotic buffoon. The movie could have been much better off by eliminating his character altogether. Here director Nasir Husain Saab decided to cast Shashi Kapoor in the lead. In many situations Shashi instead of being himself, was trying to be his older brother Shammi which was not necessary. Shashi was a talented actor on his own. Husain Saab’s favorite heroine Asha Parekh spends most of the film making faces at the hero, comedian, club dancers, and just about everything. Only near the end of the film she returns to her normal winsome pattern.

What is going for this movie is Majrooh Saab’s lyrics and beautiful songs composed by RD. The flagship song of the film is “Tum Bin”. The song was sung by Kishoreda as well as Rafi Saab. Kishoreda’s song appears twice and Rafi Saab’s three times. In Rafi Saab’s version, the second time only the first line is repeated but there is plenty of music attached to it. I am uploading it here. Also the song “O Ni Sultaana Re” appears twice in the film; once near the beginning and then near the end of the film. The second time only the first line is repeated but it is preceded by music. I am uploading it here.

I am also uploading five version songs of “Tum Bin” in the third post and various instrumentals of it in the final two posts.

Here are the songs from the film beginning with the next post…

swarapriya
Songs from "Pyar ka Mausam (1969)"...

Here is the first set of sons from this hit musical...
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Pyar ka Mausam (1969)"...

Here are the rest of the songs from this fine album...
swarapriya
Version Songs - Pyar ka Mausam (1969)

Here are a few version songs of the song "Tum Bin" from the film...
swarapriya
Instrumentals-1 - Pyar ka Mausam (1969)

Here are a few instrumentals of the songs "O Ni Sultaana Re" and "Tum Bin" from the film...
swarapriya
Instrumentals-2 - Pyar ka Mausam (1969)

In this last post I am uploading few more instrumentals of the hit song "Tum Bin" from the film...
swarapriya
(Rajinder Krishan) Laadla (1966)

Here is another Hindi film made in South. It again uses the familiar trusted formula of family related values. It was based on a 1962 Tamil hit “Annai”.

In this film the main character was played by Nirupa Roy. She was so dominant in the film, not only she had the majority of screen time, but also had a thespian like Balraj Sahni stay in the background.

Rajinder Krishanji, who pretty much seemed like has a contract on all South Indian Hindi films was again in-charge this time for both dialogues as well as lyrics.

I am uploading all songs except for one here. The missing song is shown in red italics in the table below. If anyone from our members has this song, please kindly share. Thanks.

Here are the songs from the film…
swarapriya
(Shailendra) Beti-Bete (1964)

Songs from this film were recently uploaded in this very thread. They are available starting at the following location...

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...mp;#entry752236

swarapriya
(Anand Bakshi) Uphaar (1971)

In 1961 the great Satyajit Ray made a movie in Bengali called “Teen Kanya”. It consisted of three small but separate features (“The Postmaster”, “Monihara” and “Samapti”), all based upon Rabindranath Tagore’s short stories. The movie went on to win national and international acclaim and awards.

Ten years later in 1971, Rajshri remade “Samapti” as a full length movie in Hindi as “Uphaar”. In “Samapti” Aparna Sen and Soumitra Chatterjee shared the leads. Jaya Bhaduri and Swarup Dutt reprised those roles in Hindi. The Hindi version almost entirely belonged to Bhaduri.

Sudhendhu Roy, who was best known as a multiple award winning art director of many movies made his debut as a director with this film. It was India’s official entry for the Best Foreign Language film for Oscars. However, it failed to make the grade.

There are only four songs in the film. Two of them are tops. The song by Mukeshji “Maanjhi” and the one by Latajii “Sooni Re” are outstanding. I am uploading these songs and several music clips in two back-to-back posts. Here are the songs from the film…
swarapriya
Few Music Clips from "Uphaar (1971)"...

Here are a few music clips from this film...
swarapriya
(Hasrat Jaipuri) Amrapali (1966)

This historic drama seemed like all the right things going for it, but it was a commercial failure. Vyjayanthi Mala was stunningly photographed and I don't think she ever looked this beautiful. She had a chance to display her dancing skills to the fullest, and she does this magnificently. She was simply dazzling. Her dances had so much grace. With her astonishing alluring looks while dancing she looked like an angel coming from heaven down to earth. She was like poetry in motion on her feet. Then there was the unforgettably melodious music of Shankar & Jaikishan. One superbly superlative score. Very rarely the music director duo strayed away from social dramas to score music for period dramas, Sohrab Modi's "Raj Hath (1956)" comes immediately to mind. “Basant Bahar” which also came the same year is another example. But working solely on social dramas did not change a thing for them. Their score was absolutely brilliant and to their credit it stood the test of time because even today listening experience gives goosebumps. Today its music is considered as one of their finest achievements.

Vyjayanthi Mala thought this movie was going to be a super hit. When it did not do well at the box office she was personally disappointed. Its failure encouraged her for an unexpected and hasty retirement. She completed all the movies she already signed for and when they were completed she took retirement from the films. In retirement, she seriously considered remaking the movie with Madhuri Dixit playing the lead role. I am not sure what happened but the plans were abandoned.

There are five songs in the film, four solos (all by Lata), and a chorus. All the solos were based on some classical ragas. I am not familiar with classical music but here is how these songs used the ragas per newspaper reports. The heart hugging song “Jaao Re Jogi” was based on Kamod raga. Bhopali raga was the basis for the uncannily beautiful “Neel Gagan”. For the touching “Tadap Yeh” Bhimpalasi raga was the basis. This and another lovely song “Tumhein Yaad” have made extensive use of sitar. Lataji’s brilliance is imprinted in each of these songs in her mellifluous voice. These songs are simply sweet treasures. S&J were ably assisted by their usual assistants, Dattaram & Sebastian.

Incidentally many felt that the song “Jaao Re” penned by Shailendraji was inspired by the song “Sansaar Se Bhaage” from the 1964 film “Chitralekha”. Its lyrics were written by Sahir Ludhianvi and music was Roshan Saab. Lataji was the singer. This thinking based on the fact that both songs address the same philosophy.

I want to single out one song which is one of my all-time favorites. The song is "Neel Gagan Ki Chhaaon Mein". A superbly rendered song with Lataji's singing prowess in full display where she modulates her voice so magnificently. An unforgettable listening experience. I probably heard this over 100 times, but never get tired of it. It only increases my admiration for Lataji and rest of the folks associated with it.

I was told the theatrical release of this movie ran for nearly three hours. It was selected for Oscars under the “Best Foreign Film” category. Apparently producers decided to trim the movie to run under 2 hours to send it for Oscars. That is the only version currently available as a DVD. Unfortunately in reducing the length two of the songs became casualties. The song “Jaao Re” and “Naacho” are not available in any DVD. Also, key element of the story that happens in the very beginning is missing. In this sage Buddha visits the king of Vaishali to request him to stop wars. Buddha appears in the end also.

Even though when the movie was originally released was a flop, it is now considered a classic. The main reason is the message it gives that people should live in harmony instead of warring.

I am uploading these songs, several music clips of various dances from the film, and a few instrumentals in three back-to-back posts. The first post contains all of the songs from the film. The second post contains music clips. The third post contains a few instrumentals of the songs from the film.

Now here are the songs starting in the next post...
swarapriya
Songs from "Amrapali (1966)"...

Here are the songs, most enduring classics, from the film...
swarapriya
Music Clips from "Amrapali (1966)"...

Here are a few music clips from the film, mostly of some spectacular dances ever staged for a screen...
swarapriya
Few Instrumentals of the Songs from "Amrapali (1966)"...

Here are a few musicals of the songs from the film...
swarapriya
(Majrooh) Pyasi Sham (1969)

There is not much to write about this movie. It is a senseless tale of self-pity that leads to destruction. Even the award winning pair of the lyricist Majrooh Saab and the music director duo LP conjure up songs that are, may be, a slight cut above the film. But even they are forgotten as soon as you hear them.

Interestingly, Hrishida was the editor of the film.

Here are the songs…
swarapriya
(Rajinder Krishan) Ladka-Ladki (1966)

This is simply a very bad movie. Unfortunately it shows up in every facet of the movie. In the first half of the movie Kishoreda with his antics drives everyone in the movie and those who are watching it crazy. In the second half he himself goes crazy and put aside in a lunatic asylum. Only Mumtaz looks coy and pretty giving some relief but there is not much scope for her role. This is expected when Kishoreda has the lead role.

I am uploading all songs in the following post. Rafi Saab’s song, shown in red italics in the table below was never filmed and never got released. This is according to Mohan Saab’s official website.

Here are the songs…
swarapriya
(Shailendra) Rajkumar (1964)

Songs from this film were uploaded previously in this very thread. They are available starting at the following location...

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...mp;#entry752387

swarapriya
(Anand Bakshi) Woh Din Yaad Karo (1971)

LP’s fine music is wasted on this senseless film. In a span of 15 minutes or so, the heroine loses her eye sight and the hero loses his memory. In quick succession she has her sight restored and he gains his memory back. Major problem with the movie is that nearly half of it comprises endless and senseless antics of Mahmood and Dhumal. This leaves so little time for the director to tell the real story which in itself is very weak to begin with.

I am uploading all songs and a few music clips from the film in two back-to-back posts. Here are the songs starting in the first post…
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Woh Din Yaad Karo (1971)"...

swarapriya
(Hasrat Jaipuri) Budtameez (1966)

This was Manmohan Desai’s third film as a director. Before he became a hit movie director he only enjoyed limited success in films like this. This was his second film with Shammi. Earlier Desai directed him in the 1963 film “Bluff Master”.

Most of these films in 50’s and 60’s followed a very simple formula. Have a couple of good leading stars. Hire a great music director. Sprinkle the whole movie with lots of catchy songs while the hero is trying to win over heroine’s heart. In the last few minutes or so of the movie add a twist or two to the story. Surprisingly this same template was used over and over again in many hit films and with excellent results. This film was no exception.

As with most of Shammi’s films, he always occupied most of the screen time. He gets to sing bulk of the songs. Here the music director duo S&J knew what worked with Shammi and vice versa. There are several good songs in this film. Almost all of them became very popular. S&J were assisted by Dattaram & Sebastian.

A note about the song “Dil Ko Na”. This song or an abbreviated version was released in various CD collections. In the movie itself, it appeared twice in succession. One antara is the same in both versions but the other antaras make them different. I am uploading the song, both versions, as it appeared in the film.

Here is this and rest of the songs from this film in two back-to-back posts…
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Budtameez (1966)"...

Here are the rest of the songs and a few music clips from the film...
swarapriya
(Majrooh) Talash (1969)

Lots of things were wrong with this movie. Yet it became a blockbuster. I can single out only one reason. Its great music. Burmanda, ably assisted by his son RD, exudes effervescently exuberant youthfulness with his compositions of the songs that are as mellifluous today as they were created in the late 60’s. Almost all songs were super hits.

O.P. Ralhan produced and directed this film, at quite an expense. It was advertised as one crore colorful colossus. Up to that time, it apparently was the most expensive movie made. Ralhan also had a major role occupying almost half the screen time. His comedy was simply annoying. It was one of the big downfall for the movie. The film was nearly 3 hours long and fortunately this left time for others to play their part in the remaining time.

Sharmila and Helen both looked very pretty. However, the Jubilee Kumar was a major disappointment. This was the second major problem with the movie. He looked tired and detached from the proceedings as if he was not interested in the role he was playing. Besides he put on quite a bit of weight. His cheeks were all puffed up. His belly which he was trying to hide behind a suit was still found ways to protrude. It was difficult to watch him.

Thankfully Burmans took their job to their hearts and delivered a score that will be remembered for ages to come. It is very difficult to pick a favorite one when almost all of them are so good. But I do have one. It is Mannada’s magnificent “Tere Naina”. The music, verbiage, dance that goes along with it are simply riveting.

I am uploading all songs and various music clips from the film in three back-to-back posts. Here are the songs in the first post…
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Talash (1969)"...

Here are the rest of the fine songs from this film...
swarapriya
Music Clips from "Talash (1969)"...

Here are a few music clips from this film...
swarapriya
(Rajinder Krishan) Neend Hamari Khwab Tumhare (1966)

Nanda & Shashi Kapoor acted together in 9 or so films. Some of them, like 1965’s “Jab Jab Phool Khile” were super hits. Others made poor to moderate business. In this moderately successful film they make a charming couple, even though both Nanda and Shashi seem to be putting some weight.

As a lightweight comedy movie goes well for over first half. Then Shashi’s character turns serious and the movie loses its appeal.

One of the things that helped the film was its music by Madan Mohanji. Most of the songs became popular. Interestingly, Mohanji who gave Lata some of her best hits seem to have used on occasion singing talents of her younger sister Asha. Surprisingly I am finding a few films like this where Lata did not sing any songs for Madanji but Asha was the principal singer. My favorite song from this film is Rafi Saab’s beautiful solo “Yoon Rootho Naa”. I am uploading this and the rest of the songs and a few music clips from this film in two back-to-back posts. Here are the songs from the film…
swarapriya
A Few Music Clips from "Neend Hamari Khwab Tumhare (1966)"...

Here are a few music clips from the film...
swarapriya
(Shailendra) Sangam (1964)

Songs from this film were uploaded recently in this very thread. They are available starting at the following location...

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...mp;#entry752408

swarapriya
(Anand Bakshi) Ye Gulistan Hamara (1972)

I am uploading songs from this film skipping the usual chronological order to cater for a request...

Guru Dutt passed away in 1964 but his younger brother Atma Ram tried to keep his brother’s film production company alive for some time. Ram worked as an assistant to Guru in few films but left him in disgust after Guru decided to give Raj Khosla reins to handle the directorial duties of “C.I.D.”. There was nothing new about this as Guru was noted to renege on the promises he used to make.

But after Guru passed away, Ram returned to revive his brother’s production company as Guru’s sons were still young. Except for “Shikar” made in 1968 most of his efforts went unnoticed.

Dev, who gave a start to Guru as a full-fledged director with his film “Jaal” in 1952 and starred in Guru’s earlier film “C.I.D.” in 1956 returned to star in this film. In the 20 years’ time span Dev’s fortunes also fluctuated wildly with an occasional hit amidst several misses, especially after 60’s.

Like many of Guru’s films, there were people who were common in this effort. Johnny Walker, a friend of Guru, had a role. Guru’s noted photographer and another friend, V.K. Murthy was in-charge of camera work. Burmanda who composed many of earlier Guru-directed films was back. But none of these helped the film.

When announced that Ram was a making a film about folks in Assam, there were violent protests against it. It took Bhupen Hazarika and Dev Anand to convince these people that Atma Ram was making a film on how Assamese can integrate into the rest of the country and how their education and living standards can be improved.

Good intentions not always translate into good deeds. When the movie was released it proved to be a dud. There were several reasons for this. The story as it unfolded was too preachy. The endless parade of one sermon after another tend to get on ones nerves. Besides, the characters were not fully developed. With an incohesive storyline and the end product choppily put together the movie destined for failure.

Assamese found the song “Mera Naam Aao” from the film offensive. Apparently it has something to do with the word “Aao”. Incidentally actor Danny Denzogpa, who was not in the film, lent his voice in this duet with Lataji.

Controversy set aside, it is the music of the film that stood out. Burmanda who grew up in Assam was at home providing folk music of the region in most of the songs. He blended the songs nicely with sounds of melodious instruments. Lataji’s solo and the duet of Lataji with Burmanda are real standouts of the album. Incidentally, RD, son of SD, joined Lataji and his father in a song “Raina Soyi Soyi”. In a way RD was returning a favor to his father. Only the previous year, SD sung in the film “Amar Prem” the song “Doli Mein” which RD composed music for.

I am uploading all songs from this film two back-to-back posts. Here are the songs in starting in the next post…

swarapriya
Songs from "Ye Gulistan Hamara (1972)"...

Here are the first set of songs from this film...
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Ye Gulistan Hamara (1972)"...

soumik
Dear Swarapriya,

Burmanda was born and brought up in Tripura; not Assam.

Thanks for the album

Soumik
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.