Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muse & Music
Hamara Forums > Music > Sangeet Ke Sitarey
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55
swarapriya
Muse & Music

Most film loving folks think that the music made for films from 50’s through 80’s represents golden age of music. This may be debatable. However, one thing is certain. Several great musicals emerged during this period and we saw the rise of many singing legends during this time.

One way to take a closer look at the music of the Golden Age is to look into the period through the female stars who were popular in this time frame. Because it is just about impossible to cater for all the stars, I came to a conclusion that probably the following 12 stars will sufficiently represent movies that are part of this golden era. These are:

Asha Parekh
Hema Malini
Mala Sinha
Mumtaz
Nutan
Rekha
Sadhana
Saira Banu
Sharmila Tagore
Vyjayanti Mala
Waheeda Rehman
Zeenat Aman

Others may come up with a different list. But for the music of the Golden Age I want to share with our fellow members these stars probably make a fair representation.

Let us look at filmographies of these actresses and see if we can come to some conclusions. I will present the filmographies in the order listed above.

swarapriya
Asha Parekh

She shares her birthday with Mahatma Gandhi. She made more hit films than any other female star in the history of Hindi cinema after her spectacular debut in an adult role in “Dil Deke Dekho”.

Asha was trained as a dancer. Bimal Roy was in attendance at a function in which she was dancing. He gave her a supporting role in his film “Baap Beti” when she was only 12 years old. Later Vijay Bhatt took her for the female lead in “Goonj Uthi Shehnai”. After a couple of shoots Bhatt dropped her saying that she doesn’t have the material to be an actress. But soon producer S. Mukherjee of Filmalaya and director Nasir Hussain signed her to star as heroine opposite Shammi Kapoor in “Dil Deke Dekho”. The movie was a super hit and Asha became instantly a star.

Over the next several years she churned out hit after hit acting opposite many of the male stars of the day. Most movies she was in were also musical hits. She remained active in the film industry even after she retired from acting. She was the censor chief for four years and became unpopular with some tough decisions she made. One of the famous case was the rejection of censor certificate to the film “Elizabeth”. This movie was directed by Shekhar Kapoor and was nominated for several Oscars.

Here is the first part of her filmography ...

swarapriya
Asha Parekh Filmography Continued ...

Here is the second and the last part of Asha's filmography ...

swarapriya
Hema Malini

Hema Malini first appeared in a dance sequence in a Telugu movie. She tried her hand to enter Tamil film field. Director Sridhar (of "Nazarana", "Dil Ek Mandir", and "Pyar Kiye Ja") who considered her briefly for his film rejected her saying that she does not have what it takes to be an actress. Later she got her break with “Sapnon Ka Saudagar” opposite Raj Kapoor. After that she never looked back.

Her major costar in her heydays was Dharmendra. They apparently appeared together in 38 movies! Eventually Hema married Dharmendra rejecting proposals from other actor suitors Jeetendra and Sanjeev Kumar.

Many of the movies in which Hema starred made money and several of them were huge musical hits. She was quite busy as an actress. Here is the first part of her filmography …

swarapriya
Hema Malini Filmography Continued ...

Here is the second part of Hema's filmography ...

swarapriya
Hema Malini Filmography (Part 3) Continued ...

This is the third part of Hema Malini's fimography ...

swarapriya
Concluding Hema Malini Filmography ...

Here is the final part of Hema's filmography ...

swarapriya
Mala Sinha

Mala Sinha started her career in Bengali movies. While shooting a Bengali movie in Bombay, she met Geeta Dutt. They became good friends. Geeta introduced Mala to Kidar Sharma. He took her for one of the female roles in his “Rangeen Raatein”. Later her performance in Kishore Sahu’s “Hamlet” got her rave reviews. After that there was no looking back for Mala.

She starred in a number of big banner movies with all the top stars. Several of them were huge hits. Most of them enjoyed success musically as well. Here is the first part of her filmography …

swarapriya
Mala Sinha Filmography Continued ...

Here is the second part of Mala's filmography ...

swarapriya
Concluding Mala Sinha Filmography ...

Here is the final part of Mala's filmography ...

swarapriya
Mumtaz

It is amazing that Mumtaz who later in her career made so many hit movies struggled in small roles and acted in many forgettable movies. She started as an extra and during her struggling years she starred opposite Dara Singh in as many as 16 films! Her major break came with “Mere Sanam” in a major supporting role. Later she acted opposite Dilip in “Ram Aur Shyam”. However it was “Do Raaste” where she starred opposite Rajesh Khanna that brought her finally richly deserved recognition. She was on top for nearly 12 years until she decided to quit.

Mumtaz made many movies during her early struggling career. But she will be well remembered for her contributions made in later films. Almost all of these were musical hits as well. Here is first part of her filmography …

swarapriya
Mumtaz Filmography Continued ...

Here is the second part of Mumtaz's filmography ...

swarapriya
Concluding Mumtaz's Filmography ...

Here the final part of Mumtaz's filmography ...

swarapriya
Nutan

Nutan started as a child actress but soon found adult roles. Her first adult role was as Laila in “Laila Majnu”. But it was the movie “Seema” that brought her fame and recognition. She acted in many movies in late 50’s and 60’s. Several of them were huge musical hits.

Nutan originally wanted to be a playback singer. She had an excellent voice. She sang some of the songs in the movie “Chhabili”. She was crowned Miss India in 1952 and her good looks made her accept acting assignments. She was noted for her sensitive portrayals and is the recipient of maximum number (five) of Filmfare awards. This record is still unbroken for female performers. Here is the first part of her filmography …

swarapriya
Concluding Nutan's Filmography ...

Here is the second and the last part of Nutan's filmography ...

swarapriya
Rekha

One of the most resilient actresses of our time, Rekha, reinvented herself during her entire career that started in Telugu field. Her movie “Sawan Bhadon” in Hindi was a major hit and Rekha has arrived. She played plump and sexy roles in the beginning of her career but things changed with “Ghar”. Critics took notice of her in this movie where she played a rape victim.

She went on to play several movies opposite Amitabh Bachchan. Most of them were huge commercial successes. At the same time she stared acting in parallel cinema. She made movies for Shyam Benegal and won National award for the portrayal of the title role in “Umrao Jaan”.

She was active for a long time and only recently has been seen accepting mother roles. Because of her longevity she made many films. Most of them were huge musical hits as well. Here is the first part of her filmography …

swarapriya
Rekha Filmography (Part 2) Continued ...

Here is the second part of Rekha's filmography ...

swarapriya
Rekha Filmography (Part 3) Continued ...

This is the third part of Rekha's filmography ...

swarapriya
Concluding Rekha Filmography (Part 4) ...

This is the fourth and last part of Rekha's filmography ...

swarapriya
Sadhana

Sadhana when she first entered into the films and her first major film “Love in Simla” was a hit, she set everyone with high expectations. With beautiful looks and wistful smile she captured every ones hearts. Unfortunately her career came to an abrupt end when she was diagnosed with some problem that affected her eyes and therefore her good looks. She decided to quit early from the movies.

In the brief span Sadhana was in films, she made several good movies. Most of them were commercial as well as huge musical hits. Here is her filmography …

swarapriya
Saira Banu

Saira came from a movie background. Her mother Naseem Banu was also an actress. Her very first movie, “Junglee”, opposite Shammi Kapoor was a super hit. This gave her opportunity to act in several commercially successful movies. She never gained stature as a dramatic actress even though she tried her hand in few such movies after marrying Dilip Kumar. She could not get her career moving after failing to be a serious actress and decided to quit.

In a few movies she was able to make, Saira enjoyed success. Most of these were big name movie makers and almost all of them were musical hits. Here is her filmography …

swarapriya
Sharmila Tagore

Coming from famous Tagore background Sahrmila was a natural. She was discovered by Satyajit Ray for his movie "Apur Sansar" when she was only 14. She acted in a number of films for him in Bengali before moving to Bombay. He first Hindi film was “Kashmir Ki Kali” opposite Shammi Kapoor that was a hit. She made several successful movies both commercial as well as artistic. She was also the chief of the censor board.

Most of her movies were big banners and were also musical hits. Here is the first part of her filmography …

swarapriya
Concluding Sahrmila Tagore's Filmography ...

Here is the second and the last part of Sharmila's filmography ...

swarapriya
Vyjayanti Mala

Vyjayanti Mala’s brilliant career started in Tamil Nadu. Her very first Tamil film was a huge hit. It was remade in Hindi as “Bahaar”. But not until “Nagin” came out people took note of her. The huge success of that film established her as a major star and she went onto make several first rate movies in 50’s and 60’s.

She was recognized with several awards for her acting. After her marriage she retired from the movies. Currently she is active in politics. Not only many of her movies were huge hits, but also they were music bonanzas. Here is the first part her filmography …

swarapriya
Concluding Vyjayanti Mala's Filmography ...

Here is the second and the final of Vyjayanti Mala's filmography ...

swarapriya
Waheeda Rehman

Waheeda started in Telugu movies but soon shifted to Bombay. Guru Dutt saw her in a dance performance and persuaded her to move to Bombay. Her first film “C.I.D.” produced by Guru Dutt and directed by Raj Khosla was a huge hit. Her career never looked back after that. She had many successful films to her credit in late 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s. She still appears occasionally in movies in elderly roles.

Like Nutan, Waheeda brought sensitivity to her roles. She won many awards including the National Award as best actress. Her movies not only were commercially successful but also were huge musical hits. Here is first part of her filmography …

swarapriya
Concluding Waheeda Rehman's Filmography ...

Here is the second the final part of Waheeda's filmography ...

swarapriya
Zeenat Aman

Zeenat was a journalist and model before entering into the movies. She appeared in a couple of movies in small roles but it was Dev Anand’s “Hare Rama Hare Krishna” that brought her critical, commercial, and artistic success. The movie and its songs were huge hits. Zeenat went on to play similar western-oriented roles in many movies. Most of these were very successful.

Zeenat was popular in 70’s and 80’s where she had many hits to her credit. Most of her movies were also musically successful. Here is the first part of her filmography …

swarapriya
Concluding Zeenat Aman's Filmography ...

Here is the second and the final part of Zeenat's filmography ...

swarapriya
Summary

The filmographies of the 12 stars shown in previous postings, can be summarized as shown in the table below. Between them, they represent over 1,000 movies.

swarapriya
Breakdown by Decades

We can further summarize by breaking down their respective movies distribution of these 12 stras by decades. This is shown in the following table. Bulk of the work they have done is in 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s. These represent over 800 movies.

I probably have between 50 to 60% of these albums. My idea is to start sharing this beginning with Asha Parekh and ending with Zeenat Aman in twelve separate days or so and start over the cycle again. I am hoping to go through in chronological order per the filmographies displayed.

This may take several months, probably even couple of years, to go through all of this. Barring emergencies I intend to carry this through, if not every day, but as much as I can. I will need a lot of help from other members seeing all these 800 plus albums shared. If past experience is any indication, I know I can count on the Forum members to give this idea their full support.

Next, we will start with an Asha Parekh film ...
swarapriya
Aasmaan (1952)

Asha Parekh apparently appeared in this movie as a child star (credited as baby Asha Parekh). This great O.P. album features a spectrum of songs by Geetaji and some fine solos by C.H. Atma. Here is a description of these songs and the songs themselves ...

swarapriya
Pandava Vanavasam (1964) - A Telugu Movie

Hema Malini made her debut in this Telugu mythological movie in a dance number. This movie starred three late great actors of Telugu cinema. Savitri, its leading lady, is one of the most accomplished actresses of our time. Rama Rao, who later entered politics and became the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, played many such mythogical roles in his career. Ranga Rao, another great character actor of Telugu cinema, also had a major role in this movie.

This movie has many songs and several verses totalling nearly one hour of time duration. I was able to procure all these songs from CD, LP, and DVD. They all are of great quality. I will upload these in three separate back to back posts. The third post mainly consists of verses.

Here is a description of the songs from the first post ...
swarapriya
Songs of "Pandava Vanavasam (1964) - A Telugu Movie" Continued ...

Here is the second installment of songs from this movie ...
swarapriya
Concluding Songs From "Pandava Vanavasam (1964) - A Telugu Movie" ...

Here is the final installment of songs from this movie. Except for the title music, all songs are verses.
swarapriya
Badshah (1954)

This was Mala Sinha's first Hindi movie. This also happens to be one of the early movies of Shankar & Jaikishan who composed its music. The source of these songs is various CDs and the Forum members. I am also including a song from Lata's "Shraddhanjali" album. In paying tribute to Hemant da, she sang her own song "Rula Kar Chal Diye" from this film. There are Lataji's few words preceding this song. One can clearly distinguish the difference in her voice when the original song was recorded in 1954 and the one in "Shraddhanjali", which was recorded in 1994.

Here are the songs ...
Erum Hashmi
Thanks, SP!
swarapriya
QUOTE(Erum Hashmi @ May 31 2009, 11:13 AM) *

Thanks, SP!

You're always welcome, Erum.
Aditya Pant
Thanks a lot SP. I only had 2 songs from this film and had been looking for the rest for a while.

To the best of my knowledge, there was no Lata version of Rula Kar Chal Diye in the film. The two versions you have loaded are the same - Shraddhanjali.

This film is also supposed to have a song sung by Bappi lahiri's father, Aparesh Lahiri - Jaage Mera Dil Soye Zamana. Does anyone have that?

Aditya
swarapriya
QUOTE(Aditya Pant @ May 31 2009, 07:31 PM) *

Thanks a lot SP. I only had 2 songs from this film and had been looking for the rest for a while.

To the best of my knowledge, there was no Lata version of Rula Kar Chal Diye in the film. The two versions you have loaded are the same - Shraddhanjali.

This film is also supposed to have a song sung by Bappi lahiri's father, Aparesh Lahiri - Jaage Mera Dil Soye Zamana. Does anyone have that?

Aditya

You're welcome Aditya. You're correct about Aparesh Lahiri's song. Unfortunately I don't have it. Also, I never heard it. May be someone can come forward and share it with rest of us.

Swarapriya
swarapriya
Sanskaar (1952)

Mumtaz made her debut with this movie. I could upload only a couple of songs from this movie. You can access these at the following path in the music directors' section on "Roshan" ...

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?showtopic=77228

RajanCS
Swarapriya,

Thanks for the Badshah songs. I was missing a couple of Lata songs.

regards,

Rajan
swarapriya
QUOTE(RajanCS @ Jun 1 2009, 11:33 PM) *

Swarapriya,

Thanks for the Badshah songs. I was missing a couple of Lata songs.

regards,

Rajan

Yuo're welcome, Rajan.
swarapriya
Hamari Beti (1950)

This movie produced, acted, and directed by Shobhana Samarth introduced both of her daughters Nutan and Baby Tanuja to the screen for the first time. Even though the movie didn't click, Nutan's first perfromance as an actress clicked. In th next couple of decades she reamined a force in acting especially in those films that demanded a great deal of restraint, understanding, and sensitivity.

Snehal Bhatkar composed nine songs for the movie. Nutan, who initially wanted to be a singer, also sang a song in this movie. Later, Samarth also made "Chhabili" with Nutan and Bhatkar combination in which Nutan had some hit tracks.

Unfortunately I have only two songs from this movie. Mukesh's song is from a CD collection. The other songs source I am not positive. However, please be warned that its quality is very very poor. The missing seven songs are shown in red italics in the table below. I am requesting members to share these with us if they can.

Now for those two songs I promised ...
sangeetbhakt
Here are some of the other songs from "Hamaari beTi".

Song: Dil ka milna mushkil hai
Singer: Lata Mangeshkar
Duration: 3:08
Bitrate: 96 kbps

Song: Mere sapne bane aaj apne
Duration: 2:31
Bitrate: 128 kbps

Song: Pehli mulaaqat me haath leke
Duration: 3:13
Bitrate: 128 kbps

Song: Tu ne kaisa dulha bhaaye ri
Singer: Nutan
Duration: 3:16
Bitrate:192 kbps

Song: Berukhi bas ho chuki (Poor quality recording)
Singers: Geeta Dutt, Mukesh
Duration: 3:08
Bitrate: 96 kbps
swarapriya
QUOTE(sangeetbhakt @ Jun 2 2009, 02:41 PM) *

Here are some of the other songs from "Hamaari beTi".

Thank you very very much for these "other" songs, SB. Cheers.
sangeetbhakt
I added another song to the ones that I had already uploaded.
swarapriya
Rangula Raatnam (1966) - A Telugu Movie

Rekha made her debut in this Telugu movie. This was directed by one of the greatest directors of the Telugu cinema, B.N. Reddy.

B.N. Reddy (Narasimha) was a Telugu film pioneer. When he first joined the film industry, B.N. worked under H.M. Reddy. H.M. is considered by many as the father of Telugu films. One of the famous directors who was with H.M. was L.V. Prasad who made many hit movies (“Hamrahi”, “Sasural”, “Milan”, and others).

After working for a while under H.M., B.N. soon decided to become independent and founded his own studio, Vauhini. His first movie was “Vandemataram (1939)” based on a book he wrote that was never published. The movie dealt with unemployment and ill treatment of women and became a huge hit. His next movie “Sumangali (1940)” dealt with child widows. In spite of protests and threats to his life he completed and released the movie where the child widow grows up and remarries. Revolutionary concept for those days. Audience entrenched in age old believes rejected the movie outright. His third movie “Devata (1941)” dealt with premarital pregnancy. The making and the release of this movie also caused much uproar. But this time the audience were kinder to B.N. The movie became a hit wherever it was released and gave him a new lease of much needed financial life.

He produced several other movies after the success of "Devata" but did not direct another film for a while. Most of these films he produced were directed by his assistant K.V. Reddy who made later several hit movies for B.N.’s younger brother, B. Nagi Reddy (of "Ram Aur Shyam" fame). B.N.’s next directorial venture was “Swarga Seema (1945)” that was based on Bernard Shaw’s “Pygmalion”. Several English movies were made based on this story, the most notable being the musical “Sound of Music”. The movie also has shades of another English movie that starred Rita Hayworth, “Blood and Sand (1941)”. In “Swarga Seema”, a new lease of life was given to Bhanumati who came into the movies earlier but was struggling to find her niche. Great crooner Ghantasala was also introduced in this movie.

In 1951, B.N.-directed “Malleeshwari” starring Bhanumati and NTR was released. By many, this movie is considered to be the greatest Telugu movie ever made. It has great performances by its leading stars, beautiful music and some unforgettable lyrics written by Devulapalli Krishna Shastry. Devulapalli, a great Telugu poet, was writing for movies for the first time.

Come 1954, B.N. made yet another great movie called “Bangaaru Paapa”. The story was based on an English (Eliot’s “Silas Mamer”) novel and its star was Telugu cine field’s one of the greatest actors, S.V. Ranga Rao. Rao gave astonishingly stunning portrayal of his life where he is transformed from an uncouth ruffian to a gentle giant all because of his love and affection for an abandoned girl he helped raise. This movie won international acclaim for B.N. Charlie Chaplin saw this movie and heaped high praise on B.N. for such deft handling of the subject.

“Rangula Ratnam (1965)” was the last movie B.N. directed. It introduced actor Chandra Mohan in the lead role. It also gave opportunities for up and coming stars Vanisri and Vijaya Nirmala. Interestingly it also had a small role for Rekha (her first film as well). Rekha’s mother, Pushpavalli, played a pivotal role in the movie. This movie has some memorable songs and was a modest success.

B.N. was the first person from south to receive Dadasaheb Phalke award. He was also awarded Padma Bhushan by the Government of India.

All the songs of "Rangula Raatnam" I am uploading came from either LPs or tapes. If you hear intensely, you can detect background “hiss” in some of the songs. I will upload these songs in two separate posts. Here is the first set. The song "Nadi Reyi" by Janaki & Ghantasala is a smash.
swarapriya
Songs of "Rangula Raatnam (1966) - A Telugu Movie" Continued ...

Here are rest of the songs from this fine album ...
swarapriya
Love in Simla (1960)

This was the second movie of Sadhana but first one as an adult. Also, Joy Mukherjee was introduced in this movie. With her innocent looks and infectious smile, Sadhana made a great impression on the cinegoers.

This movie has so many beautiful songs. It was a huge hit. I am uploading all of the songs in three separae back-to-back posts. The third post consists of extended version songs.

Here is the first set of songs ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.