Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Movies Based On Partition
Hamara Forums > Films > Bollywood
Inaam
Could anyone please mention the name of movies based on 1947 Partition ?

Thanks
Faraaj73
QUOTE(Inaam @ Aug 10 2010, 08:02 PM) *

Could anyone please mention the name of movies based on 1947 Partition ?

Thanks

Below are two suggestions...

Pinjar - Beyond Boundaries (2003)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0347779/

Garam Hawa (1973)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073034/
Inaam
QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Aug 10 2010, 03:54 PM) *

Below are two suggestions...

Pinjar - Beyond Boundaries (2003)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0347779/

Garam Hawa (1973)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073034/

Thanks Faraaj, I think Garam Hawa is the most memorable movie about partition ever made. Pinjar is also my favorite.

Another my favorite one is Shyam Benegal's 'Mammo'.

Plz share more movie name, I want to compile a comprehensive list.
Harjinder
Hi
'Dharamputra' (1961) by B.R. Chopra had Dillip Kumar doing the voice over and Ashok Kumar,Rajender Kumar, Shashi Kapoor And Mala Sinha among its actors. One of its songs written by Sahir Ludhianvi 'Yeh kiska lahoo hai kaun mara?' talks about insaniyat or lack of it, among us.
'Gadar' starring Sunny Deol, Amrish Puri, and Amisha Patel.
'Earth 1947' based on the novel 'Cracking India' ( or Ice Candy Man) written by Bapsi Sidhwa, starring Aamir Khan.
"Train To Pakistan' based on Khushwant Singh's novel of the same name.
English movie 'Gandhi' starring Ben Kingsley, and another English movie 'Bhowani Junction' with Ava Gardner as its female lead, were also related to India's patition.
Two Punjabi movies:
'Kartar Singh' (Pakistan) and 'Chaudhry Karnail Singh' (India) were also about the 1947 Partition.
'Mission Kashmir' with Sanjay Dutt,Preity Zinta, and Rhithik Roshan, 'Veer Zara' starring Shahrukh Khan and Preity Zinta 'Fannah' with Aamir Khan, Kajol, and another Hindi movie starring Sunny Deol as an Indian army officer and Preity Zinta as a Kashmiri Hindu girl raised by a Muslim family who moves back and forth between Indian and Pakistani parts of Kashmir (I cannot recall this movie's name) are movies not directly related to partition but do have enough elements in their plots that deal with its after effects. 'Lamhe' with Sanjay Dutt in a lead role, is the latest in this series.
Harjinder
Inaam
QUOTE(Harjinder @ Aug 10 2010, 07:35 PM) *

Hi
'Dharamputra' (1961) by B.R. Chopra had Dillip Kumar doing the voice over and Ashok Kumar,Rajender Kumar, Shashi Kapoor And Mala Sinha among its actors. One of its songs written by Sahir Ludhianvi 'Yeh kiska lahoo hai kaun mara?' talks about insaniyat or lack of it, among us.
'Gadar' starring Sunny Deol, Amrish Puri, and Amisha Patel.
'Earth 1947' based on the novel 'Cracking India' ( or Ice Candy Man) written by Bapsi Sidhwa, starring Aamir Khan.
"Train To Pakistan' based on Khushwant Singh's novel of the same name.
English movie 'Gandhi' starring Ben Kingsley, and another English movie 'Bhowani Junction' with Ava Gardner as its female lead, were also related to India's patition.
Two Punjabi movies:
'Kartar Singh' (Pakistan) and 'Chaudhry Karnail Singh' (India) were also about the 1947 Partition.
'Mission Kashmir' with Sanjay Dutt,Preity Zinta, and Rhithik Roshan, 'Veer Zara' starring Shahrukh Khan and Preity Zinta 'Fannah' with Aamir Khan, Kajol, and another Hindi movie starring Sunny Deol as an Indian army officer and Preity Zinta as a Kashmiri Hindu girl raised by a Muslim family who moves back and forth between Indian and Pakistani parts of Kashmir (I cannot recollect this movie's name) are movies not directly related to partition but do have enough elements in their plots that deal with its after effects. 'Lamhe' with Sanjay Dutt in a lead role, is the latest in this series.
Harjinder

Thank you very much Harjindar ji, 'Dharamputra' is new find for me.
yogihit
http://silverseason.files.wordpress.com/20...s_movielist.pdf

page 2
-----------------------------

Session 5 Partition on Film
The dramatic events surrounding the decades-long struggle for Indian independence
and the conflict and violence of Partition in 1947 have been the subject of many
films.
India at the Movies - 3
Bhowani Junction (1956). Caste and class are in conflict as independence comes to India. Based
on the 1954 novel by John Masters. Stars Ava Gardner, Stewart Granger.
Earth (1998). Religious and civil wars break out in India and Pakistan when The Raj is partitioned
in 1947.
Gandhi (1982). Life of Gandhi, produced by Richard Attenborough. Stars Ben Kingsley.
Gandhi: Pilgrim of Peace (1997). A&E Biography documentary.
The Jewel in the Crown (1984). This television series tells the story of the last days of the Raj
through the experiences of a great range of characters. Based on the The Raj Quartet by
Paul Scott (four novels, 1966-1975).
The Making of the Mahatma (2001). Dramatization of M. K. Gandhi’s experiences in South
Africa where he developed his non-violent methods of civil resistance.
Mountbatten: The Last Viceroy (1986). Lord Louis Mountbatten struggles with the problems of
Indian partition and independence.
Nehru: The Jewel of India (2007). Dramatization of the life of Jawaharlal Nehru, India’s first
Prime Minister.
yogihit
cont..
Consider the current Indian blockbuster "Gadar: Ek Prem Katha" (literally, "Commotion: a Love Story"). It's a Romeo-and-Juliet tale of a Sikh boy and a Muslim girl who fall in love in India during the ****** Partition period of 1947, a time when Hindu-dominated India and Muslim-dominated Pakistan were separated by the stroke of a British pen. The Muslim girl travels to Pakistan to visit her parents, and her Sikh husband follows her there and fights off the Pakistani Army to get her back.

In Pakistan, meanwhile, the latest hit is "Tere Pyar Main" ("Your Love is Mine"). In its plot, set in modern times, a Muslim boy falls for a Sikh girl who is visiting Lahore. He follows her back to India, but is branded a Pakistani spy and must fight off the entire Indian Army to bring his girl back to Pakistan.
----------------------------
http://www.paklinks.com/gs/showbiz-pakista...war-movies.html
Inaam
QUOTE(yogihit @ Aug 11 2010, 05:09 PM) *

http://silverseason.files.wordpress.com/20...s_movielist.pdf

page 2
-----------------------------

Session 5 Partition on Film
The dramatic events surrounding the decades-long struggle for Indian independence
and the conflict and violence of Partition in 1947 have been the subject of many
films.
India at the Movies - 3
Bhowani Junction (1956). Caste and class are in conflict as independence comes to India. Based
on the 1954 novel by John Masters. Stars Ava Gardner, Stewart Granger.
Earth (1998). Religious and civil wars break out in India and Pakistan when The Raj is partitioned
in 1947.
Gandhi (1982). Life of Gandhi, produced by Richard Attenborough. Stars Ben Kingsley.
Gandhi: Pilgrim of Peace (1997). A&E Biography documentary.
The Jewel in the Crown (1984). This television series tells the story of the last days of the Raj
through the experiences of a great range of characters. Based on the The Raj Quartet by
Paul Scott (four novels, 1966-1975).
The Making of the Mahatma (2001). Dramatization of M. K. Gandhi’s experiences in South
Africa where he developed his non-violent methods of civil resistance.
Mountbatten: The Last Viceroy (1986). Lord Louis Mountbatten struggles with the problems of
Indian partition and independence.
Nehru: The Jewel of India (2007). Dramatization of the life of Jawaharlal Nehru, India’s first
Prime Minister.

Thank u very much, yogihit-ji, very informative post.

Harjinder
Hi
I remember another Punjabi movie that was about partition.'Shaheed E Mohabbat' starring Gurdas Maan and Divya Dutta. It was based on a true story. Its main character Boota Singh marries a Muslim girl around partition time whose parents had gone to Pakistan but later she is taken away from him and sent to Pakistan. After the Liaqat Ali-Nehru Pact (?) of 1950 (?) was signed many of the women that were left behind at partition were being repatriated to their families in both countries. He follows his wife Zainab to Pakistan which results in some fateful and tragic consequences for him. Harjinder
Inaam
QUOTE(Harjinder @ Aug 12 2010, 05:45 AM) *

Hi
I remember another Punjabi movie that was about partition.'Shaheed E Mohabbat' starring Gurdas Maan and Divya Dutta. It was based on a true story. Its main character Boota Singh marries a Muslim girl around partition time whose parents had gone to Pakistan but later she is taken away from him and sent to Pakistan. After the Liaqat Ali-Nehru Accord (?) of 1950 (?) was signed many of the women that were left behind at partition were being repatriated to their families in both countries. He follows his wife Zainab to Pakistan which results in some fateful and tragic consequences for him. Harjinder

Very interesting..!!!
Faraaj73
QUOTE(yogihit @ Aug 11 2010, 09:43 PM) *

cont..
Consider the current Indian blockbuster "Gadar: Ek Prem Katha" (literally, "Commotion: a Love Story"). It's a Romeo-and-Juliet tale of a Sikh boy and a Muslim girl who fall in love in India during the ****** Partition period of 1947, a time when Hindu-dominated India and Muslim-dominated Pakistan were separated by the stroke of a British pen. The Muslim girl travels to Pakistan to visit her parents, and her Sikh husband follows her there and fights off the Pakistani Army to get her back.

In Pakistan, meanwhile, the latest hit is "Tere Pyar Main" ("Your Love is Mine"). In its plot, set in modern times, a Muslim boy falls for a Sikh girl who is visiting Lahore. He follows her back to India, but is branded a Pakistani spy and must fight off the entire Indian Army to bring his girl back to Pakistan.

Is it a coincidence that indian films on such themes will have muslim girls and Pakistani films will have sikh/hindu girls running off with the hunk of the other religion? I suspect not!

I think it speaks volumes about the people of the subcontinent and their tolerance range. What it tells me is that despite the terrible lessons of the past 60 years, we have learned nothing and would make the same mistakes all over again...and with just as much noise!!!
Harjinder
QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Aug 12 2010, 06:08 AM) *

cont..

Is it a coincidence that indian films on such themes will have muslim girls and Pakistani films will have sikh/hindu girls running off with the hunk of the other religion? I suspect not!

I think it speaks volumes about the people of the subcontinent and their tolerance range. What it tells me is that despite the terrible lessons of the past 60 years, we have learned nothing and would make the same mistakes all over again...and with just as much noise!!!

Hi
Couldn't agree with you more. Sau fee sadi sach! Harjinder
Marcilo
QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Aug 12 2010, 07:08 AM) *

cont..

i won't agree to that. Check out Pinjer.

If we are talking about movies on partition then lets not leave out Tamas. Originally was a TV series and i guess was later released as movie too.
worth watching

Harjinder
Hi
'Pinjar' is about Hindu Muslim conflict in pre-partition India. The main Character Paro(?) is kidnapped by a Muslim neighbor and then disowned by her family.She then goes back to her kidnapper and they live a kind of normal life until partition. After partition she helps some Hindu (or is it one Hindu girl?) girls escape their kidnappers and get repatriated.
The story does not follow a typical Bollywood or Lollywood pattern but harkens to the Hindu Muslim conflict that resulted in the partition and its after effects. We do not have to agree on anything but facts do not change. I guess we will keep on arguing about who was right or who was wrong but I do not think that would provide any consolaton to a million or so lives lost as consequence ( in and after partition). Harjinder

P.S Wasn't 'Pinjar' produced by a Hollywood Company ? I think Twentieth Century Fox (Owned by Ruppert Murdoch the Star TV Network owner)the well known Hollywood production comnpany produced this movie.All the actors and film crew were Indian (Bollywood) though. If above information is correct then our assumptins about Bollywod and Lollywood productions may not be that much off the mark. H.S Dh.

Dharamputra-Yeh kiska lahoo hai kaun mara, ae rahebar e mulko quaum bata_Mahender Kapoor MD N. Dutta Lyricist Sahir Ludhianvi
Bit Rate 192 kbs
Duration 03:24 min
Year 1961
Format MP3
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.