Ameen Sayani will rule airwaves again
Prithwish Ganguly / DNAWednesday, May 12, 2010 0:28 IST Email

Mumbai: After an almost 15-year hiatus, Padmashri Ameen Sayani is back with his ‘golden voice’ for another stint at radio. The iconic Geetmala presenter says he has been experimenting and innovating constantly so that his appeal and acceptance transcend generations.

“All these years I have built my style according to the requirements of the day. With the passage of time, I have streamlined content and presentation, which sounds smoother and belongs to the current age. I have always spoken about and done things that are relevant to all,” Ameen told DNA.

He added, “The essence of communication is not to do away with the past but hold on to it, mould it into today and move it into the future. So, I have always become whatever my audience wanted me to become. If they wanted me to be lively, I was that, where I was needed to shed tears, I have done so right from theheart, and when they wanted to have fun, I have had fun with them.”

Talking about what still keeps him going after all the awards and accolades, Ameen said, “I have always believed in the premise that we have been sent into this world for a purpose. I have tried to fulfil this commitment and create a good atmosphere for my listeners. I have always endeavoured to take them with me into a better world. That is what has kept me going for 60 years.”

The industry, naturally, is very excited at the news. Veteran lyricist Sameer said, “Ameen Sayani has been close to my father and even me. I love his knowledge of movies. He is certainly the best when it comes to talking about Bollywood on radio. I’m surely going to tune in whenever he is on radio.”

Composer Pritam says radio will always be synonymous with Ameen in India. “Just like Cadbury and chocolate, you cannot think of radio without taking Ameen Sayani’s name. His presentation style and his radio personality somehow make people nostalgic.”

Even among the young singers, Ameen Sayani is a big hit. “I am a big fan of Ameen Sayani. His ability to engage every listener and keep them asking for more is legendary. He is a pioneer, a great talent and above all has an incredible voice. Welcome back sir. Looking forward to tuning in,” Sophie Choudry said.