Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bhakta Pralhad (1946) : The Film That Started It All
Hamara Forums > Legends > Geeta Dutt
parag_sankla
As we all know, young Geeta Roy made her debut in Hindi film music by recording 4 songs for the film Bhakta Pralhad (1946). Not much is known about the composer Pandit Hanuman Prasad except that he was married to the famous actress Lalita Pawar and the fact that he discovered the singing talent of young Geeta Roy (who later on became Geeta Dutt after marrying Guru Dutt).

Geeta's family had moved to Bombay (now Mumbai). In the building she lived in, the famous Pandit Gowri Shankar had his Kathak dancing school. Pandit Hanuman Prasad was a regular visitor to this dancing class. One day while on a visit he heard Geeta practicing. He traced the voice and thus the composer went to her flat. After discussing with her father, he gave her a song (actually a couple of lines in a song) in his film Bhakta Prahlad (1946).That is how Geeta Roy was discovered at the age of 16.

Pandit Hanuman Prasad gave her few lines in as many as four songs in the film Bhakta Prahlad. The songs were –

1) Suno suno binti hamari prabhuji bhool hui mujhse bhari
2) Ab jani re,pehchani re mana.
3) Suno suno hari ki leela sunayein,
4) Jaag uthe hum jaag uthe

The songs 2 and 3 have been shared on HF. A kind request for song 1 and 4.

Thanks
Parag
maheshks
Did not he make her sing a few lines in "Gaali" in 1944 even before Bhakta Prahlad?
smahesh
QUOTE(maheshks @ Apr 22 2010, 11:49 PM) *

Did not he make her sing a few lines in "Gaali" in 1944 even before Bhakta Prahlad?

mahesh bhai,
thanks for the info.any idea in which song/songs he used geetaji's voice and if possible,can you ul a snippet of the song.

regards,
mahesh
tumtum_tajik
QUOTE(smahesh @ Apr 23 2010, 09:45 AM) *

mahesh bhai,
thanks for the info.any idea in which song/songs he used geetaji's voice and if possible,can you ul a snippet of the song.

regards,
mahesh

mahesh bhai, (dr)
i will try to make it confirm from here..and let you know..
if there was any..

regards,
-waheed
smahesh
QUOTE(tumtum_tajik @ Apr 24 2010, 10:08 AM) *

mahesh bhai,

regards,
mahesh

mahesh bhai, (dr)
if there was any..

regards,
-waheed

waheed bhai,
would eagerly wait for your response.

regards,
mahesh
Abbasi
Geeta never sang for Gaali.
surhall
hi brother

yes geeta ji sing
dhall
tumtum_tajik
QUOTE(smahesh @ Apr 24 2010, 09:48 PM) *

QUOTE(tumtum_tajik @ Apr 24 2010, 10:08 AM) *

mahesh bhai,

regards,
mahesh

mahesh bhai, (dr)
if there was any..

regards,
-waheed

waheed bhai,
would eagerly wait for your response.

regards,
mahesh

mahesh bhai,
i asked a very senior and old music listner/collector
according to him..geeta roy did not sing..for gaali..44..

regards,
-waheed
vdsachin
Can someone please upload the songs that have been already shared on HF - which Parag mentioned...

Thank You smile.gif
parag_sankla
Dear Sachin

These 2 songs are available on my YT channel here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAcmUDSgk8M

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC7LDPOiqho

Original audio courtesy generous HF members.

Best Regards
Parag
surhall

hi

all geeta dutt fan pleas can tell singers name both song ???

dhall
surhall

hi

all geeta dutt fan pleas can tell singers name both song ???

dhall
parag_sankla
We do not know names of the singers in these 2 songs from the film Bhakta Pralhad. It has been well documented that composer Pandit Hanuman Prasad gave Geeta ji a few solo lines in these songs. Both the songs are heavily chorus based but one can distinctly hear the voice of young Geeta Roy singing a few lines. I am not sure if HFGK mentions the names of the singers.

Regards
Parag

hildebrand
According to Geet Kosh, Suno Suno Binti Hamaari is a Chorus song. It mentions the same for Ab Jaani Re Pehchaani Re.
Singers are not mentioned in the other songs.

The Gujrati bilingual version of the movie released in 1948 is also supposed to have atleast two gujrati versions of these songs but the gujrati geet kosh also doesn't give singer details. Does anyone have the gujrati songs from that movie? That may also feature Geeta ji's voice.

The Shamshad book says Ab Jaani Re and Suno Suno Binti Hamari has Shamshad Begum singing with chorus. (the second it mentions as unconfirmed but I have heard it at a music lover's house. It has male voices also and has a female voice which may or may not be Shamshad ji).
surhall

hi
singer name some were get from music lover
dhall
vdsachin
QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Apr 26 2010, 08:23 PM) *

Dear Sachin

These 2 songs are available on my YT channel here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAcmUDSgk8M

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC7LDPOiqho

Original audio courtesy generous HF members.

Best Regards
Parag

Thank You Parag smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.