Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floater Renamed As Doosra
Hamara Forums > General > Sports > Cricket
jayant
When Saqlian started getting bags full of wkts with this delivery bowled with the same action but spins the opposite way pundits termed it as "DOOSRA".PPl started believing as if Saqi has invented this delivery.But ist not true.He discovered this delivery.
Erapalli Prasanna was a master bowling this delivery and I still remember he tormented the kiwis in a series down under with this particualr delivery.Also I do remember how he fooled Viv Richards once & got him stumped by dragging him out making the ball turn the other way.This is called a FLOATER.Its bowled with the same action but the grip is a bit different with the spin imparted vertically down rather than across.Also the shine of the ball is kept on the left(for a right arm offie) 2 make it float after pitching.U can term this delivery as UNDERCUTTER also which stops & then spins the other way.After Pras I never saw any bwlr either in intrnl level or club level mster this delivery.Then came Saqi & Murli who r real masters of this delivery.Murli's delivery is more dangerous.Now u get 2 see a lot of these bwlrs bowling the floater.
Please note there is a difference between an ARM BALL & a FLOATER or DOOSRA.Arm ball is the one which comes with the arm where the fingers placed r different on the seam of the ball.It comes with the seam at a faster pace.
js
jayant
sorry my mistake....
the shine of the ball is kept on the right.
js
unni
Jayant:

Would you please explain what a "top-spinner" is?

Also the term "coming in with the arm".

Since coaches instruct right-handed bowlers to finish the delivery with their arm over the left thigh, to my thinking the ball "comes in with the arm" in the case of a right-armer's leg-spin delivery --- in the same direction as the arm. Whereas an off-spin delivery goes in the opposite direction after pitching. I would think the same about leg-cutters and off-cutters.

Thanks.
jayant
TOP SPINNER - The top spinner is the ball which goes staright after pitching.There r 2 types of top spinners - 1)which skids thru like arocket,2)which stops & bounce.Warne is a master of this delivery so is Kumble though Kumble's is the 1st 1.A top spinner is generally bowled by a leg spinner.The ball will be placed touching the palm where as in acse of legspinner or googly its the fingers top which hold the ball.The arm action also is very quick in case of a top spinner.

ARM BALL - Its the ball which goes on with the arm.Say for a left arm spinner his natural ball is the ball which pitches & goes 2wards off(in case he bwls 2 a right hander).The arm ball is held touching the palm so that it shldn't spin.Seam is placed upright with his forefinger running over the seam and not across the seam.The thumb will b placed under the ball.Shine will b on the left side.The ball drifts in with the arm.Maninder Singh or Bedi was a great exponent of thsi delivery.

hope its clear.For any further clarrification pls revert.
js

QUOTE(unni @ Feb 21 2005, 05:40 PM)
Jayant:

Would you please explain what a "top-spinner" is?

Also the term "coming in with the arm".

Since coaches instruct right-handed bowlers to finish the delivery with their arm over the left thigh, to my thinking the ball "comes in with the arm" in the case of a right-armer's leg-spin delivery --- in the same direction as the arm. Whereas an off-spin delivery goes in the opposite direction after pitching. I would think the same about leg-cutters and off-cutters.

Thanks.

bawlachintu
Yaar, Floater is delivered with low bending of arm(within permissible limits) which Saqlain used to do.

Doosra is copyright@Muralitharan, which is delivered by him
bending arm more than 15 degrees.

This is the basic difference. Doosra disguises more tongue.gif

Top spinner bounces more, whereas skidder skids through with low bounce.
Kumble top spins, Warne skids the ball.

In both cases seam is kept upright while delivering. Its ball rotation,
which makes the difference.

rolleyes.gif
unni
The term 'armer' --- does it apply only to a left-arm spinner? Just as 'googly' applies to a right-arm leg-spinner turning the ball the other way (towards leg-side of a right-handed bat)?
jayant
noooooooooooo
armer & googly r different.
in case of googly the wrist action changes & its wrist spin where the ball spins the other way round.
in case of armer its released from the fingers where the ball moves in with the seam & not spin.Though in both cases the ball goes in the opposite direction in case of googly it spins...in case of armer it goes the other way with the arm where the seam & shine helps.
armer applies for both left and right arm spinner
js
Akhtar
I never saw Prasana bowl. But I have seen Saqlain and remember he was TRULY UNPLAYABLE. I cannot wait for him to gain fitness and play inshallah against England in October.

I remember one of his deliverys against Martyn - was superb. Martyn was clueless. Will upload vid if i can find it.
princeali
QUOTE(Akhtar @ Feb 22 2005, 01:41 PM)
I never saw Prasana bowl. But I have seen Saqlain and remember he was TRULY UNPLAYABLE. I cannot wait for him to gain fitness and play inshallah against England in October.

I remember one of his deliverys against Martyn - was superb. Martyn was clueless. Will upload vid if i can find it.

Saqlain is one of the few bowlers in the world, who if at his best, is very hard to face. Not only does he have those unplayable deliveries, he also has alot of variety that is only matched by a few. He still has alot to offer to Pak, and hopefully he will return soon. Last time on Pak's tour to Ind, Saqlain was one of the players that stood out for his great performances.
bawlachintu
Sure, he is the only bowler after Dennis Lillie to use long bowl

(One step behind the popping crease while delivering the ball)
Very innovative bowler.
anurag
Do you guys know if any leg spinner uses fingers for spinning -- merely for variation? I suppose first of all, you'd need big hands for that and then you'd not be able to do it for long durations. You can get huge turn with the finger spin. With my finger spin, I have flummoxed many of my friends, who taught me throwing googly and armer.
jayant
for better spin u need long fingers.But its nt the fingers which only play an important role...............
its the swivel of ur hip while releasing the ball,the high arm action,release point,bracing of ur front leg which helps the ball to dip & nip off the wkt ....which also play an important role.In case of leg spinners its the wrist which plays a major role.
js
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.