Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bina Rai Passes Away
Hamara Forums > Films > Bollywood
surhall
sngeet ka safar

Bina Rai passes away
06 Dec, 2009 02:42 pm ISTlPTI

Noted actress Bina Rai, best known for her roles in films like 'Anarkali' and 'Taj Mahal', passed away here today following a cardiac arrest.

The Filmfare Award winning actress, wife of late actor Premnath, was 78 and is survived by her sons Prem Kishen and Monty. Prem Kishen is a well known television producer who co-owns the television software company, Cinevista. "My mother died of a cardiac arrest at 5 am. The funeral will take place tomorrow," Monty, the actress's younger son, said.

Rai, who hailed from Lucknow, entered movies through a talent hunt contest. Her first film was 'Kali Ghata' (1951) opposite Kishore Sahu, who was also the movie's producer.

In the 1950s she married actor Prem Nath, who being the brother-in-law of the actor-filmmaker Raj Kapoor, was part of the Kapoor family.

Rai and Prem Nath had acted together in some films, the first being 'Aurat' (1953). They married and soon set up their own production unit, P N Films. Their first film under P N Films banner was Shagufa (1954). Their subsequent films like 'Samunder' and 'Watan' did not do well.

Rai's films with Pradeep Kumar remain her best remembered performances. She played title roles in 'Anarkali' (1953), 'Taj Mahal' (1963) and 'Ghunghat' (1960) with the last once fetched her Filmfare Award for Best Actress.

dhall
surhall

this site have more story

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...pid=642275&
dhall
Bhavita
May Bina Rai rest in peace
simplefable
May her soul rest in peace !! I still remember the way her smile lighted up screen..in Anarkali. Ethereal beauty...
simplefable
May her soul rest in peace !! I still remember the way her smile lighted up screen..in Anarkali. Ethereal beauty...
Harjinder
Hi
Thanks for the sad news. One of the really beautiful actresses,Bina Rai had a bewitching smile. I am sure it was not only Prem Nath who was mesmerized by her. Of many films starring her that I have seen I remember her mostly for 'Kali Ghata', 'Changhez Khan', 'Anarkali' and 'Taj Mahal'.
I may be mistaken but I think in Kishore Sahu's 'Kali Ghata' a well known 'Poonam' song 'Chanda ki chandni mein jhoome jhoome dil mera' was also picturized on her. Having seen that movie more than 50 years ago I still can visualize her singing that song out in the open. It does not seem probable but I remember her in a conservative European type dress standing and lipsynching the words to that song. We all cherish our favorite old memories. She and her movies are among those memories that I will sure see often in reliving my bygone days. Harjinder
nasir
Sad to know that Bina Rai is no more. I have seen only a few of her movies such as Anarkali, Aurat, Insaniyat, Changesh Khan, Ghunghat and Taj Mahal when they were released in Mumbai. I liked her best in Ghunghat of course. Aurat was the story inspired by the famous Hollywood flick, Samson and Delilah, where she acts as the temptress who finally seduces Premnath into revealing the source of his mighty strength. Purnima was the other heroine there. In Insaniyat she plays the role of the childhood sweetheart of Dilip Kumar but later falls in love with an outsider, Dev Anand. Taj Mahal saw her portraying the role of the wife of Pradeep Kumar (Shah Jehan).

How time flies! May her soul rest in peace.
surhall

soon get more new and picture,
dhall
oye_sonu
:-( Really sad news.

with prayers for her family .

Sonu

PS : thanks Sangeet ka safar for posting pics etc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.