Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Three Of A Kind
Hamara Forums > Music > Sangeet Ke Sitarey
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
swarapriya
Three Of A Kind
Movies of Dev Anand, Dilip Kumar & Kishore Kumar

One is an evergreen hero. The other is a king of tragedy. The third one is a king of comedy. Here we are referring to Dev Anand, Dilip Kumar, and Kishore Kumar. From early 40's through early 90's, nearly five decades they have given us great movies full of memorable music. Together they made 300 plus movies.

I have most of their albums in CDs except for some early ones. In the next few months I will upload these. I will be requesting for missing songs when I go through the movies in chronological order. I am hoping to get help from members like they have been for my other threads. Thank you ...
swarapriya
Dev Anand

Dev Anand, born on September 26, 1923, is the second of three Anand brothers, the eldest being Chetan and the youngest Vijay. All three belonged to the Hindi film industry. All three were actors as well as producers, writers, and directors. Shekhar Kapur, another well known film name who made movies like “Masoom”, “Mr. India”, “Bandit Queen”, and the Oscar nominated English movie “Elizabeth”, is Dev’s nephew.

Dev was a graduate in English Literature but decided to become an actor and moved to Mumbai. He made few mostly forgettable movies starting in 1946 with “Hum Ek Hain”. But things turned around for better for him in 1948. At the recommendation of Ashok Kumar, he was cast as a hero in the movie “Ziddi (1948)” opposite Kamini Kaushal. This movie was a huge hit. Encouraged by the success of this movie, Dev launched his own production company called Navketan. Under this banner Dev continues producing, acting, writing, and directing movies till today.

In his formative years as an actor Dev made several movies with Suraiya, all very successful. During a boating accident while shooting for a movie, Dev saved Suraiya’s life. Romance developed between them but never materialized into a marriage because of the opposition of Suraiya’s grandmother. Suraiya remained unmarried rest of her life.

Dev married a costar of several of his films, Kalpana Kartik.

Dev’s first big hit came with “Baazi” in 1951. This movie was directed by Guru Dutt, a close friend of Dev. It was first for Guru. The songs of this film were written by Sahir Ludhianvi. Their rich lyrics brought fame to Sahir. The music was composed by S.D. Burman. Some of the memorable songs in the movie were sung by Geeta Dutt. The association of Burmanda and Dev continued and flourished for many years until Burmanda’s death. Little over one-third of the movies Burmanda composed music for had Dev as the principal actor.

Dev worked hard to produce “Guide”, a novel by R.K. Narayan, in both English and Hindi. He was able to get support from the Nobel Laureate Pearl Buck for the English production. However, the English version failed miserably. Hindi version came later on. It was directed by his younger brother, Vijay, and was a runaway hit and is considered to be a milestone in Hindi cinema as well as Dev’s career.

Over the years, Dev introduced several new faces. The two who made names for themselves were Zeenat Aman and Tina Munim.

Dev is not only remembered for some fine entertainers he made but also the rich legacy of songs that are immensely popular even today.

Dev won Filmfare award as a best actor twice. He was also awarded by the Government of India Padma Bhushan. He has also received Dadasaheb Phalke Award.

In the span of 63 years of professional career, Dev starred in 110 plus some movies. Evergreen, energetic, and eager to make subjects on social matters, he continues to be busy making movies even though he hasn’t had a success since 1978 with “Des Pardes”.

Here is his filmography …
swarapriya
Filmography of Dev Anand

Dev Anand in a span of 60 plus years of professional career made over 100 movies. Here is his filmography ...
Sangeet
Nice thread SP. Will be watching this thread for KK movies. It is sad that Icon like Dev Anand has not made anything memorable after Tere Mere Sapne.
swarapriya
Dilip Kumar

Dilip Kumar, whose given name at birth in 1922 was Yusuf Khan, is known as the Tragedy King of the Indian screen. He moved to Mumbai in 1930s with his parents. His parents owned large fruit orchards. In 1940s he moved to Pune selling dried fruits and working in a military canteen. Devika Rani spotted him in the canteen and helped him land an acting job in Amiya Chakravarty’s “Jwar Bhata”, released in 1944. He also took the screen name as Dilip Kumar at Chakravarty’s suggestion.

In 1947, when Noor Jehan consented to star opposite to him in “Jugnu”, hitherto unheralded Dilip got instant recognition. A spate of great movies followed “Jugnu”. Dilip is such a multifaceted actor that whichever role he took he excelled in it. He was the king of tragedy in films like “Devdas” and “Deedar”. He was king of comedy in films like “Azaad” and “Kohinoor”. He was a swashbuckling hero in films like “Aan” and “Insaaniyat”. He was a romantic king in the films like “Mughal-E-Azam” and “Andaz”.

Late in 70’s, after a spate of failures of his movies, Dilip took time off to regroup. After a five year lapse he came back with Manoj Kumar’s “Kranti” in 1981 and made a series of successful movies playing character roles.

His last movie ”Qila” was released in 1988. In a span of 54 years of professional career he made nearly 70 movies. If you consider the number of hits Dilip made, this number seems small. But it does speak volumes about his histrionics and unmatched acting skills.

Early in 50’s Dilip was romantically involved with his fellow actress, beautiful Madhubala. The romance ended on a sour note when Madhubala reneged by not cooperating with B.R. Chopra in whose film “Naya Daur” she was starring opposite Dilip when she refused to go for outdoor shooting. When Dilip testified against her and her father in the court, the relationship abruptly ended. Dilip eventually married another actress, Saira Banu.

Recently two of his black-and-white classics, “Mughal-E-Azam” and “Naya Daur” were colorized and re-released.

During his illustrious career, Dilip was garnered with several richly deserving awards. He won the Best Actor Filmfare Award eight times, a record. He also received Pakistan’s highest civilian award “Nishan-E-Pakistan”. In 1994, he received Dadasaheb Phalke Award. He is a recipient of Bharat Ratna.

The following is Dilip’s filmography …

swarapriya
Filomgraphy of Dilip Kumar

In a span of 50+ professional years, Dilip Saab made close to 70 movies. Here is his filmography ...
swarapriya
Kishore Kumar

Eccentric. Energetic. Entertaining. Producer. Director. Composer. Actor. Story writer. Script writer. Song writer. A prolific vocalist who sang in several Indian languages. In Essence, that is what Kishore Kumar was about.

Kishore Kumar was born into a Bengali family in Khandwa, Madhya Pradesh, on August 14, 1929. His birth name was Abhas Kumar. He was the youngest of Ganguly brothers; Ashok, Anoop, and Kishore. Both Ashok and Anoop were actors.

His older brother Ashok Kumar who was an established and popular actor christened his name to Kishore Kumar when he was chosen to sing as a chorus singer for the Bombay Talkies Studios. While Kishore was spending time with his brother, he took keen interest in movies in general and music in particular. He was inspired by the immortal K.L. Saigal and initially imitated his style of singing.

Kishore played a small role in “Shikari (1946)” in which Ashok was the lead actor. Khemchand Prakash was the first music director who gave him a chance to sing in “Ziddi (1948)”. Kishore was never too serious about his acting career but at his brother’s insistence decided to try as an actor. Soon he got a chance to play the lead role in “Andolan (1951)”. Soon many roles came his way.

In 1950, at the advise of S.D. Burman, Kishoreda decided to develop his own singing style. Burmanda helped him grow as a singer even though Kishore never had any formal training in music. He appeared as a singer for many Burmanda movies, most notably as a playback singer for Dev Anand. Later it was R.D. Burman, son of Burmanda, patronized Kishore after the huge success of “Padosan”.

Kishore wrote, produced, and directed several movies. One of the most successful movies he produced and directed was “Door Gagan Ki Chhaaon Mein”.

During the Indian Emergecy (1975 to 1977) of prime minister Indira Gandhi’s era, her son Sanjay Gandhi insisted that Kishore sing a song for the Congress party rally in Mumbai. When Kishore refused, his songs were banned on the air for many months.

Kishore divorced his wife in 1960 to marry an ailing Madhubala. It was not a happy marriage. Neither Madhubala’s parents, nor Kishoreda’s parents approved their wedding. They lived most of their married years separately until Madhubala’s death in 1969.

Kishore married twice again after Madhubala’s death. He has two sons, Amit and Sumit. Amit sang several songs for movies and acted in couple of movies his father made.

Kishore stopped acting appearing only occasionally and that too mostly in the movies he himself produced and directed in the late-70s. By that time his star as a singer started rising thanks to the unprecedented success of “Aaradhana (1970)”. He won Filmfare Best Singer Award eight times. He won the National Award as the Best Singer in 1984 for “Sharaabi”.

Kishoreda passed away of a massive heart attack on October 13, 1987.

Even though he wasn’t active as much midway through his career as an actor, Kishoreda still made around 90 or so movies.

Here is his filmography as an actor …

swarapriya
Kishore Kumar's Filmography

As an actor Kishore made nearly 90 movies. Here is his filmography ...
swarapriya
(Dev) Hum Ek Hain (1946)

This was the very first movie Dev starred in. It was made by Prabhat Film Company. Guru Dutt had double duties for this movie; as a choreographer (Guru was a disciple of the great dancer Uday Shankar, older brother of the famous sitarist Ravi Shankar) and also as an assistant director of the movie. Rehman also starred in the movie. This is where Guru Dutt became a close friend to both Dev and Rehman.

It is said that both Dev and Guru had the same laundry man. One day by mistake, laundryman delivered Dev's shirts to Guru. Guru was wearing one of these shirts while Dev was shooting a scene for the movie. Dev noticed that Guru was wearing his shirt. Dev approached him and asked him where he got the shirt. Once they found out the source, they had a hearty laugh. This was the start of a great friendship between these two men.

All songs from this movie are by the courtesy of the Forum members. Thank you. I am missing names of singers for some of the songs. If someone can help identify them, I will be grateful. Here are the songs ...
swarapriya
QUOTE(Sangeet @ Nov 16 2009, 02:10 PM) *

Nice thread SP. Will be watching this thread for KK movies. It is sad that Icon like Dev Anand has not made anything memorable after Tere Mere Sapne.

Thanks Sangeet. Can't deny what you are saying. Nevertheless he and his collaboration with SD among other music directors are the songs I chreish the most. Cheers. -S
Erum Hashmi
thumbs-up.gif
jigri1
Thanks swarapriya .. Looking forward to riding this wave smile1.gif

Love the title too smile1.gif They were truly "Three of a kind"
rpnawani
Thanks swarapriya for starting this thread and uploading the rare songs of Hum Ek Hain. I look forward to many more such rare gems.

rpnawani
Ez_buddycool
EXCELLANT START SP BRO smile.gif smile.gif
swarapriya
QUOTE(Erum Hashmi @ Nov 17 2009, 01:33 AM) *

thumbs-up.gif

Thanks Erum.
swarapriya
QUOTE(jigri1 @ Nov 17 2009, 06:40 AM) *

Thanks swarapriya .. Looking forward to riding this wave smile1.gif

Love the title too smile1.gif They were truly "Three of a kind"

It will not be sunomi, I assure you. Gentle waves with occasional ripples. Cheers. -S
swarapriya
QUOTE(rpnawani @ Nov 17 2009, 09:17 AM) *

Thanks swarapriya for starting this thread and uploading the rare songs of Hum Ek Hain. I look forward to many more such rare gems.

rpnawani

You're very welcome. Thanks for the support. Cheers. -S
swarapriya
QUOTE(Ez_buddycool @ Nov 17 2009, 09:23 AM) *

EXCELLANT START SP BRO smile.gif smile.gif

That's cool of you. Thanks and cheers. -S
swarapriya
(Dilip) Jwar Bhata (1944)

Dilip made his acting debut in this movie. Unfortunately, I have only one song from this move. This was part of a song collection CD. I am uploading this. The missing songs are shown in red italics in the table below. Requesting the members to share the missing songs.
romesh
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Nov 18 2009, 12:57 AM) *

Dilip made his acting debut in this movie. Unfortunately, I have only one song from this move. This was part of a song collection CD. I am uploading this. The missing songs are shown in red italics in the table below. Requesting the members to share the missing songs.

here is one in my library

more aangan mein-------------------parul ghosh-----128kbps--------------2.30mts

romesh

Click to view attachment

quote=romesh
Abdur Rehman
Again an excellent thread. Looking forward to some rare gems.
swarapriya
QUOTE(romesh @ Nov 17 2009, 06:09 PM) *

here is one in my library

more aangan mein-------------------parul ghosh-----128kbps--------------2.30mts

romesh

Thanks for the song, Romesh. Cheers. -S
swarapriya
QUOTE(Abdur Rehman @ Nov 17 2009, 07:00 PM) *

Again an excellent thread. Looking forward to some rare gems.

I hope to live up to the expectations. Cheers. -S

kadri420
one more from Jwar Bhata

bhool jana chahthi hoon - parul ghosh & chitalkar
mp3 / 128 kbps / 2.17 mins

Click to view attachment
swarapriya
QUOTE(kadri420 @ Nov 17 2009, 08:19 PM) *

one more from Jwar Bhata

bhool jana chahthi hoon - parul ghosh & chitalkar
mp3 / 128 kbps / 2.17 mins

Thanks for the song Kadriji. Cheers. -S
Faraaj73
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Nov 18 2009, 06:27 AM) *

Hi Swarapriya

Here are two extended version songs from Jwar Bhata - both CDQ. Bhool Jana Chahti Hoon is a beautiful song by Parul Ghosh.

I also have Prabhu Charnon Mein Deep but in very low bitrate. I can email it to you if requested.

Old Filmi - 1944 Jwar Bhata - Parul Ghosh - More Aangan Mein-ab 2m 57s 192kbps mp3Click to view attachment
Old Filmi - 1944 Jwar Bhata - Parul Ghosh - Bhul Jana Chahti Hun-ab 5m 16s 192kbps mp3Click to view attachment

Two other comments:

1- Having seen some Dilip interviews, as a young man he was influenced by Gary Cooper, Paul Muni and Spencer Tracy - something of which is reflected in his performances.
2- Kalinga was an epic project he worked on for a long time and in fact directed but I don't think it was ever released or even completed. I'd love to see it if it was released.

Kind Regards
Faraaj
Abdur Rehman
Faraaj ji can u also email the song to me at bseshadri@in.com. Thanks in advance.
Exon
SP,

This is a very nice topic; good luck with the thread.

Faraaj and SP,

Thanks for the songs.

Exon
swarapriya
QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Nov 18 2009, 01:19 AM) *

Hi Swarapriya

Two other comments:

1- Having seen some Dilip interviews, as a young man he was influenced by Gary Cooper, Paul Muni and Spencer Tracy - something of which is reflected in his performances.
2- Kalinga was an epic project he worked on for a long time and in fact directed but I don't think it was ever released or even completed. I'd love to see it if it was released.

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Thanks for the songs Faraaj, and the info. By the way Dilip was originally offered the role that was eventually played by Omar Shariff in David Lean's great classic epic drama "Lawrence of Arabia". For some reason he declind.

Please mail the song whenever it is convenient to you.

Cheers,
Swarapriya
swarapriya
QUOTE(Exon @ Nov 18 2009, 07:44 AM) *

SP,

This is a very nice topic; good luck with the thread.

Faraaj and SP,

Thanks for the songs.

Exon

Thanks Exon. Cheers. -S
swarapriya
(Kishore) Shikari (1946)

Per filmography, Kishore appeared in the movie "Do Ghadi Ki Mauj" in 1935. If this is true, I don't have any songs from this movie. Requesting members to kindly share.

The filmography also gives that Kishore appeared in the 1936 film "Krorepati". I believe this is in error. This movie starred Saigal. I do have some songs from this movie but bacause I am convinced that Kishore didn't appear in this movie, I am not uploading these here. May be some of our learned members can help resolve this. By the way, Kishore did star in a movie called "Krorepti" later in his acting carrier, in 1961.

That leaves me to come to this album, which I believe is the film in which Kishore made his acting debut. Its music is by that great composer S.D. Burman. There are 10 songs in this movie. I am uploading five of them here. Requesting members to share the rest if they can. Also, I am including Burmanda's version of "Rangeela Re" song. It is an absolute treat. Please see the post be Pradeep Asrani below.

This movie had several songs that were sung by the great actor Ashok Kumar. He had such a beautiful voice. I wonder why he chose not to sing in his movies later in his career. Interestingly, he insisted on Kihsore to make a career as an actor instead of as a singer Kishore originally wanted to be.

The source of the songs is from CD collections and from the Forum members. Thanks to the members. Now for the songs ...
pradeepasrani
The song Rangeela Re, Kahan Kahan Gaya Re is indeed sung by Kishore Kumar along with Paro (the female singer) and Ashok Kumar (the other male singer). SDB should be credited for the first song of Kishore Kumar as an adult, although as a child, he was in the chorus group which accompanied Ashok Kumar in Chal Chal Re Naujawan from Bandhan (1940). This is also, perhaps, the only instance when the two brothers have sung together. The song in Ziddi, Marne Ki Duayen is his first song as a playback singer.

Pradeep

Sorry I responded by reading the caption rather than the list of songs where SP has clearly mentioned the singers of Rangeela Re, the Trio.
pradeepasrani
The solo Rangeela is indeed SDB himself but it is a Bengali Non-film song and not from Shikari. SDB repeated the tune of this song in Aan Milo Aan Milo Shyam Sanware in Devdas (1955).

Jagmag Hai Aasman and Dol Rehi Hai Naiya is same song but sung twice, once as a solo by Ashok and again as a duet by Ashok and Paro.

Pradeep
swarapriya
QUOTE(pradeepasrani @ Nov 18 2009, 09:28 AM) *

The solo Rangeela is indeed SDB himself but it is a Bengali Non-film song and not from Shikari. SDB repeated the tune of this song in Aan Milo Aan Milo Shyam Sanware in Devdas (1955).

Jagmag Hai Aasman and Dol Rehi Hai Naiya is same song but sung twice, once as a solo by Ashok and again as a duet by Ashok and Paro.

Pradeep

Thank you very much Pradeepji for straightening things out. That helps. I made changes to the post to reflect your suggestions made in these two posts.

Cheers,
Swarapriya
lakshmi
Swarapriya,

I don't have any words to express my gratitude for all the threads you have started. Thanks for the hum ek hain songs. Thanks to Faraaj, Romesh and Kadri for Jwar bhata songs.

Lakshmi
swarapriya
QUOTE(lakshmi @ Nov 18 2009, 08:30 PM) *

Swarapriya,

I don't have any words to express my gratitude for all the threads you have started. Thanks for the hum ek hain songs. Thanks to Faraaj, Romesh and Kadri for Jwar bhata songs.

Lakshmi

Thanks for such nice compliments. It gives fiurther encouragement to me to move forward beacuse I know there is someone like you and others like you are out there to support these efforts.

Cheers,
Swarapriya
Faraaj73
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Nov 19 2009, 03:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Nov 18 2009, 01:19 AM) *

Hi Swarapriya

Two other comments:

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Thanks for the songs Faraaj, and the info. By the way Dilip was originally offered the role that was eventually played by Omar Shariff in David Lean's great classic epic drama "Lawrence of Arabia". For some reason he declind.

Please mail the song whenever it is convenient to you.

Cheers,
Swarapriya

David Lean was married several times and one of his many wives was an Indian lady. He became friends with Dilip when married to that lady, probably because of the indian connection. He did offer the Omar Sharif role to Dilip and our superstar declined for the simple reason that he was lazy. He was quite blunt in interviews in stating that as a superstar he could walk onto indian film sets as late as he liked and was treated like royalty. He knew he would be required to change his habits for a western picture and didn't think he could change his habits. I must admit I found his reason quite disappointing...

Kind Regards
Faraaj
debjyoti
Great thread Swarapriya Sis.Kishoreda was a great actor,and allthough he was mainly known for comic acting and zanny slapstick comedy,he had done some serious roles also like in Bhai Bhai,Naukri,Door trilogy etc.He had also acted in 4 bengali films-
Lookochuri
Ektuku Choan Laage
Madhya Rater Tara
Dustu Projapoti.
All his 4 bengali films have great songs sung by Kishoreda.
romesh
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Nov 18 2009, 10:37 PM) *

(Kishore) Shikari (1946)

Per filmography, Kishore appeared in the movie "Do Ghadi Ki Mauj" in 1935. If this is true, I don't have any songs from this movie. Requesting members to kindly share.

The filmography also gives that Kishore appeared in the 1936 film "Krorepati". I believe this is in error. This movie starred Saigal. I do have some songs from this movie but bacause I am convinced that Kishore didn't appear in this movie, I am not uploading these here. May be some of our learned members can help resolve this. By the way, Kishore did star in a movie called "Krorepti" later in his acting carrier, in 1961.

That leaves me to come to this album, which I believe is the film in which Kishore made his acting debut. Its music is by that great composer S.D. Burman. There are 10 songs in this movie. I am uploading five of them here. Requesting members to share the rest if they can. Also, I am including Burmanda's version of "Rangeela Re" song. It is an absolute treat. Please see the post be Pradeep Asrani below.

This movie had several songs that were sung by the great actor Ashok Kumar. He had such a beautiful voice. I wonder why he chose not to sing in his movies later in his career. Interestingly, he insisted on Kihsore to make a career as an actor instead of as a singer Kishore originally wanted to be.

The source of the songs is from CD collections and from the Forum members. Thanks to the members. Now for the songs ...

i have radio version of tere bina sooni sooni hai. the sound quality is not upto the mark if somebody wants i can upload this song

romesh
swarapriya
QUOTE(romesh @ Nov 19 2009, 03:03 AM) *

i have radio version of tere bina sooni sooni hai. the sound quality is not upto the mark if somebody wants i can upload this song

romesh

Romesh, please go ahead and upload. I would like to listen to the song and others may want it too. Thanks.

Swarapriya
swarapriya
(Dev) Aage Badho (1947)

This movie starred beautiful and talented Khurshid Bano and Dev Anand. It was Dev's second movie but Khurshid was already a veteran actress by this time. Khurshid Bano, born Irshad Begum, was a well known singer and actress in 30’s and 40’s. (See the picture in the attachment.) Her first movie role was in a movie called “Eye for an Eye”, a silent movie, made in 1931 (the year first talkie was made "Alam Ara"). She made several movies through 30’s and 40’s with all the leading men of those days. She is the only other actress, aside from beautiful Suraiya, to work opposite immortal Saigal in two movies. The film “Tansen” made in 1943 was a huge success and brought her fame both as a singer as well as an actress.

“Papeeha Re” made in 1948 was her last film in India before she migrated to Pakistan. She did not find the anticipated success in that country. She passed away in Karachi at the age of 87 in 2001.

I am uploading four songs from this movie here. Three of the missing songs are shown in red italics in the table below. Probably more or missing. Requesting members to share the missing songs if they can. Thank you.

Here are the songs from this movie ...
swarapriya
QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Nov 19 2009, 01:26 AM) *

David Lean was married several times and one of his many wives was an Indian lady. He became friends with Dilip when married to that lady, probably because of the indian connection. He did offer the Omar Sharif role to Dilip and our superstar declined for the simple reason that he was lazy. He was quite blunt in interviews in stating that as a superstar he could walk onto indian film sets as late as he liked and was treated like royalty. He knew he would be required to change his habits for a western picture and didn't think he could change his habits. I must admit I found his reason quite disappointing...

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Interesting. Didn't ever think Dilip as a lazy fellow. If that is what his excuse was, Faraaj, I must agree with you it was just a lame one and very disappointing. But it doesn't diminish any less of my admiration for him as one of our greatest actors. By the way, I thought Omar Sharif did a great job in "Lawrence of Arabia", the role which was initially offered to Dilip. Incidentally, the movie also had I.S. Johar in a very significant role.

Cheers,
Swarapriya
swarapriya
QUOTE(debjyoti @ Nov 19 2009, 02:47 AM) *

Great thread Swarapriya Sis.Kishoreda was a great actor,and allthough he was mainly known for comic acting and zanny slapstick comedy,he had done some serious roles also like in Bhai Bhai,Naukri,Door trilogy etc.He had also acted in 4 bengali films-
Lookochuri
Ektuku Choan Laage
Madhya Rater Tara
Dustu Projapoti.
All his 4 bengali films have great songs sung by Kishoreda.

Well, Deb, you're preaching to the choir when you're talking about Kishore. Inspite of all of the human weaknesses he had, like rest of us, he also was a cinematic genius because of the awsome talent he possessed.

By the way, may be you can post the songs from these movies at appropriate times. I'm going in chronological order, but you can upload them any time you like.

Cheers,
Swarapriya
Rushin
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Nov 19 2009, 11:27 PM) *

(Dev) Aage Badho (1947)

This movie starred beautiful and talented Khurshid Bano and Dev Anand. It was Dev's second movie but Khurshid was already a veteran actress by this time. Khurshid Bano, born Irshad Begum, was a well known singer and actress in 30’s and 40’s. (See the picture in the attachment.) Her first movie role was in a movie called “Eye for an Eye”, a silent movie, made in 1931 (the year first talkie was made "Alam Ara"). She made several movies through 30’s and 40’s with all the leading men of those days. She is the only other actress, aside from beautiful Suraiya, to work opposite immortal Saigal in two movies. The film “Tansen” made in 1943 was a huge success and brought her fame both as a singer as well as an actress.

“Papeeha Re” made in 1948 was her last film in India before she migrated to Pakistan. She did not find the anticipated success in that country. She passed away in Karachi at the age of 87 in 2001.

I am uploading four songs from this movie here. Three of the missing songs are shown in red italics in the table below. Probably more or missing. Requesting members to share the missing songs if they can. Thank you.

songs are courtesy of forum members

naina rasile (3.05 min / 96 Kbps / MP3)
Jhoom Raha (2.47 min / 96 Kbps / MP3)
Suno suno (3.57 min / 160 Kbps /MP3)
swarapriya
QUOTE(Rushin @ Nov 19 2009, 03:44 PM) *

songs are courtesy of forum members

naina rasile (3.05 min / 96 Kbps / MP3)
Jhoom Raha (2.47 min / 96 Kbps / MP3)
Suno suno (3.57 min / 160 Kbps /MP3)

Thanks a whole bunch for the songs, Rushin. Cheers. -S
pradeepasrani
SP

Please accept my compliments too for all the threads you conceive and energetically pursue them till the vey end.

A couple of minor corrections, I may point out:

In Sawan Ki Ghatao Dheere Dheere Aao (Aage Badho), it is Rafi who accompanies Khurshid. This incidently is the first song in which Rafi gives playback for Dev Anand. Rafi also had the rare distinction of singing with three of our legendary actor / actress singers in Saigal, Noorjehan and Khurshid. I do not think he has sung with some of the others like Kanan Devi and Surendranath.

It is unlikely that the non film Bengali song, Rangeela Re, will Be written by G.S.Nepali.

Pradeep
Faraaj73
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Nov 20 2009, 04:57 AM) *

(Dev) Aage Badho (1947)

Swarapriya

The duet Saawan Ki Ghatao has Rafi as the male lead, not Manna Dey...
swarapriya
QUOTE(pradeepasrani @ Nov 19 2009, 10:24 PM) *

SP

Please accept my compliments too for all the threads you conceive and energetically pursue them till the vey end.

A couple of minor corrections, I may point out:

In Sawan Ki Ghatao Dheere Dheere Aao (Aage Badho), it is Rafi who accompanies Khurshid. This incidently is the first song in which Rafi gives playback for Dev Anand. Rafi also had the rare distinction of singing with three of our legendary actor / actress singers in Saigal, Noorjehan and Khurshid. I do not think he has sung with some of the others like Kanan Devi and Surendranath.

It is unlikely that the non film Bengali song, Rangeela Re, will Be written by G.S.Nepali.

Pradeep

Pradeepji,

Thanks for your kind and nice words.

I made changes to both tables to reflect your suggestions. Also, thanks for the observation about Rafi Saab's distinction.

Cheers,
Swarapriya
swarapriya
QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Nov 19 2009, 10:24 PM) *

Swarapriya

The duet Saawan Ki Ghatao has Rafi as the male lead, not Manna Dey...

Thanks Faraaj. I made the changes. Pradeepji also pointed out this out. Cheers. -S
swarapriya
(Dilip) Jugnu (1947)

This movie was made by Noor Jehan’s husband, Shaukat Hussain Rizvi. It gave an early but big break for Dilip's career. It was a hit that helped herald Dilip as a force for many years to come. This movie also starred Ghulam Mohammed, the muisc director of “Pakeezah (1971)” fame. Also, in the song “Woh Apni Yaad Dilaane Ko Ek Ishq Ke Duniya Chhod Gaye”, Rafi Saab makes a cameo appearance. This probably was the only movie Rafi Saab appeared on the screen.

Noor Jehan appeared in three movies in 1947 (“Do Bhai”, “Jugnu”, and “Mirza Sahiban”). See the picture attached. “Mirza Sahiban” was her last movie in India before she migrated to Pakistan. Magnificent Noor Jehan who started her career as a child artiste in 1930 made 81 movies in India, 12 of which were silent. In Pakistan she made only 14 movies, 10 in Urdu and four in Punjabi. Her last acting stint was in 1963 in a movie called “Baaji”. After that she exclusively devoted her time to singing until her death in 2000.

I am uploading all of the songs from this film. Some came from CD and others from video. The quality of video songs is just fair. All three songs of Roshanara Begum are of inferior quality. The song by Shamshadji, "Loot Jawani" has a skip nearly 1 minute 55 seconds into the song. Also I am uploading several longer versions in the second post.

Here is the first set of songs ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.