Akhtar
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
AzgarKhan
sad1.gif Why wasnt I a celebrity.
Akhtar
Disgraceful behaviour from a role model.

princeali
Disgraceful behaviour from a role model.

Absolutely doh.gif
Akhtar
The man has no shame !

The problem is he has been the golden boy too long, the spoilt child who has always had preferencial treatment and its gone to his head.

The other problem is that we do not have the players to replace him, if we did, he would have been kicked out a long time ago.
princeali
The man has no shame !

The problem is he has been the golden boy too long, the spoilt child who has always had preferencial treatment and its gone to his head.

The other problem is that we do not have the players to replace him, if we did, he would have been kicked out a long time ago.

He's too much of a showoff as well and its time the Board did something about it. On this tour to Australia, he only showed glimpses of what he can achieve if he concentrated more on the game than other things. Also, he's not been fully fit of late and this better not happen again by the time the INDIA series comes around. Now look, due to the injury we don't even have a spearhead for the whole VB series. Sami, Shabbir and Umar Gul are sorely missed. sad1.gif
unni
Akhtar & Ali:

Unless his match-performance is affected by his personal life, no sports figure deserves to be judged by what he does off the field --- that is my opinion.

Unless I am ill-informed, no such sugestion has been made in Shoaib's case. Both Viv Richards and Brian Lara have capitalized on their fame and success to live a "colourful" life. Shayne Warne's "exploits" off the field are well known. There would be many players of all nationalities who lead a 'wild" life. The international career of one, Vinod Kambli, ended in this manner.

While you guys are "scandalized" by what I consider pretty innocent pictures of a sports celebrity relaxing during his free time, let me digress in a manner: how "moral" perceptions have changed over the years.

In his book "History of Indian Cricket", the author Mihir Bose quotes the late Subhash Gupte (famed spin-bowler in the India Test team of the 50's/early 60's). It refers to the Aussie-India series in 1961:

"For the Delhi Test we were staying at the Imperial Hotel (in Connaught Circus in the heart of the city). Kripal Singh was my room-mate. He tried to make a date with a receptionist at the hotel. She complained to the Indian manager, an Army man, saying she didn't expect Indian cricketers to behave in this way. She traced the call to our room, Room No. 7. When the match was abandoned, Kripal had to go to Madras and I helped him pack. I was heading for Bombay with Polly (Umrigar) and the other Bombay boys and I went to Polly's room. He said, "You have been behaving badly. Go and see Nari (Contractor) (Test-team member). I went and Nari Contractor told me about the complaint. This was the first I knew about this. I rushed out and taking Ramakant Desai (Test-team member) with me, headed for the airport. As we were going I was praying Kripal's flight would be delayed. I cornered Kripal at the newspaper stand. He said, "You had nothing to do with it". I saw Chidambaram (the Board President) having breakfast the airport and told him, "Your culprit is confessing". He said we will talk on the plane. They suspended both Kripal and me. An enquiry meeting was to be held in Calcutta, it was not. It was held in Madras, just before the team to the West Indies was announced. I went for it and, and after I had explained what had happened, Mr. Ghose the Board Secretary asked me, "Did you try and stop Kripal making the call"? I said, "He is a big man. How can I stop him"? Nothing had happened. Kripal had not raped the girl or assaulted her, he just asked her out for a drink".

Kripal Singh was dropped from the team.

Subhash Gupte was not selected for the tour of the West Indies. His crime? Sharing a room with Kripal! tongue.gif

Gupte did not play again. He married a girl he had met years ago in the West Indies and settled there. "So India's first great spinner ended his career because he happened to share a room with a man who wanted a drink with a girl".
Akhtar
Unni:

The team curfew is 8pm, unless they are going out for a team engagement. This is disgraceful as he also breaking islamic law. It wouldnt matter so much, as you said, if his performance was upto scratch, but it isnt and he has been ordinary since the end of the 2nd Test.
princeali
Unni, interesting piece of info there. But if Shoaib was performing up to the standards that he is supposed to perform, then anything he does off the field would not be a big deal as Akhtar said. It seems as if he didn't take this tour as seriously as he does other tours. Shoaib only showed glimpses of what he can do and the other times he was either out of it, or the management was complaining on his behlaf that he didn't have an adequate bowling partner at the other end, or he was complaining he wasn't getting enough support or some other matter came up. I mean there's been more happening off the field for him then there has been on it and its all nonsense. If he was on a team like Australia, he would have been dropped by now until he disciplines himself. Besides breaking islamic law, he is giving a bad name to the team and management.

For example, Ponting said that at the end of the second test, Shoaib wasn't even bowling full out even though Pak had a small total to defend. I mean he is our main bowler, he is supposed to give it all for the team's sake (no matter what the situation) and not just worry about his personal matters. His fitness is a cause for concern and he hasn't been fully fit in a while.
jayant
Unniji thanks for the wonderful info.
js
QUOTE(unni @ Jan 24 2005, 11:33 AM)
Akhtar & Ali:

Unless his match-performance is affected by his personal life, no sports figure deserves to be judged by what he does off the field --- that is my opinion.

Unless I am ill-informed, no such sugestion has been made in Shoaib's case. Both Viv Richards and Brian Lara have capitalized on their fame and success to live a "colourful" life. Shayne Warne's "exploits" off the field are well known. There would be many players of all nationalities who lead a 'wild" life. The international career of one, Vinod Kambli, ended in this manner.

While you guys are "scandalized" by what I consider pretty innocent pictures of a sports celebrity relaxing during his free time, let me digress in a manner: how "moral" perceptions have changed over the years.

In his book "History of Indian Cricket", the author Mihir Bose quotes the late Subhash Gupte (famed spin-bowler in the India Test team of the 50's/early 60's). It refers to the Aussie-India series in 1961:

"For the Delhi Test we were staying at the Imperial Hotel (in Connaught Circus in the heart of the city). Kripal Singh was my room-mate. He tried to make a date with a receptionist at the hotel. She complained to the Indian manager, an Army man, saying she didn't expect Indian cricketers to behave in this way. She traced the call to our room, Room No. 7. When the match was abandoned, Kripal had to go to Madras and I helped him pack. I was heading for Bombay with Polly (Umrigar) and the other Bombay boys and I went to Polly's room. He said, "You have been behaving badly. Go and see Nari (Contractor) (Test-team member). I went and Nari Contractor told me about the complaint. This was the first I knew about this. I rushed out and taking Ramakant Desai (Test-team member) with me, headed for the airport. As we were going I was praying Kripal's flight would be delayed. I cornered Kripal at the newspaper stand. He said, "You had nothing to do with it". I saw Chidambaram (the Board President) having breakfast the airport and told him, "Your culprit is confessing". He said we will talk on the plane. They suspended both Kripal and me. An enquiry meeting was to be held in Calcutta, it was not. It was held in Madras, just before the team to the West Indies was announced. I went for it and, and after I had explained what had happened, Mr. Ghose the Board Secretary asked me, "Did you try and stop Kripal making the call"? I said, "He is a big man. How can I stop him"? Nothing had happened. Kripal had not raped the girl or assaulted her, he just asked her out for a drink".

Kripal Singh was dropped from the team.

Subhash Gupte was not selected for the tour of the West Indies. His crime? Sharing a room with Kripal! tongue.gif

Gupte did not play again. He married a girl he had met years ago in the West Indies and settled there. "So India's first great spinner ended his career because he happened to share a room with a man who wanted a drink with a girl".

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.