Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Actress Shakila
Hamara Forums > Films > Bollywood
iambibhash
I am an avid collector of yesteryear movies and I have seen all movies of actress Shakila. And I think she was the MOST GORGEOUS ACTRESS to ever grace the Indian Film Industry. I am really smitten by her beauty. I would like to know more about her. There is hardly any information available on the net other than some pictures. I came across some posts on hamara forums. I really want to know about her both before and post-acting life, what she does today, where she lives, about her family etc. I would be really grateful if anyone could help.
nasir
QUOTE(iambibhash @ Mar 30 2009, 12:37 AM) *

I am an avid collector of yesteryear movies and I have seen all movies of actress Shakila. And I think she was the MOST GORGEOUS ACTRESS to ever grace the Indian Film Industry. I am really smitten by her beauty. I would like to know more about her. There is hardly any information available on the net other than some pictures. I came across some posts on hamara forums. I really want to know about her both before and post-acting life, what she does today, where she lives, about her family etc. I would be really grateful if anyone could help.

First of all, welcome to HF iambibhash! smile.gif I hope you've a great time on these forums.

Regarding Shakila, I'll give whatever info I've about her - though nothng great.
It's nice to know that you've seen all the movies of Shakila. That's quite an achievement.

As for me, in my childhood I saw ALIBABA CHALIS CHOR which had the Super Cineme as the main theatre in Bombay. Again after maybe after 3-4 years I saw C.I.D., which had the main opening at the Minerva Theatre in Bombay. Again, as a child I remember Shakila's HATIM TAI (1957) which had the main opening at the Novelty Cinema, Bombay. O yes, then in or about 1960-61 I saw her CHINA TOWN which had the Super Cinema as the main theatre in Bombay. There are a few other films that I saw but don't remember them distinctly. Yes, I agree that she was a beautiful actress and had a certain "Namak" on her face. It was a typical Muslim face.

In my teens I had the opportunity to attend her marriage at the Bombay Race Course along with her Arabic teacher. That was the last I had heard of her. Then I also had heard that once she attended a meeting of GARWARE along with Dilip and Saira (witnessed by my friend) much later in Sixties and she still loooked beautiful.

However, I've the impression that all was not well with her.

iambibhash
QUOTE(nasir @ Mar 30 2009, 03:06 PM) *

QUOTE(iambibhash @ Mar 30 2009, 12:37 AM) *

First of all, welcome to HF iambibhash! smile.gif I hope you've a great time on these forums.

Regarding Shakila, I'll give whatever info I've about her - though nothng great.
It's nice to know that you've seen all the movies of Shakila. That's quite an achievement.

As for me, in my childhood I saw ALIBABA CHALIS CHOR which had the Super Cineme as the main theatre in Bombay. Again after maybe after 3-4 years I saw C.I.D., which had the main opening at the Minerva Theatre in Bombay. Again, as a child I remember Shakila's HATIM TAI (1957) which had the main opening at the Novelty Cinema, Bombay. O yes, then in or about 1960-61 I saw her CHINA TOWN which had the Super Cinema as the main theatre in Bombay. There are a few other films that I saw but don't remember them distinctly. Yes, I agree that she was a beautiful actress and had a certain "Namak" on her face. It was a typical Muslim face.

In my teens I had the opportunity to attend her marriage at the Bombay Race Course along with her Arabic teacher. That was the last I had heard of her. Then I also had heard that once she attended a meeting of GARWARE along with Dilip and Saira (witnessed by my friend) much later in Sixties and she still loooked beautiful.

However, I've the impression that all was not well with her.

Thank you Nasirsaab for the reply. Yes I really like this forum....quite a tribute to the golden age of India Cinema. I am a child of the present generation and it amazes me when I discover the depth and originality of yesteryear movies and songs...they had a kind of magic I simply don't find in today's Bollywood. Guys like Guru Dutt simply ROCK! cool.gif

As regards Shakilaji, what surprises me is that despite her beauty and not-so-bad acting skills, she left half-way in what could have been a glorious career. sad.gif Besides, it's also surprising that not many famous filmmakers of that time explored her. Of course, Waheeda, Meena Kumari, Madhubala were far better, but I believe she could have done well too, given the chance.

Hearing about her somewhat dark personal life has intrigued me. huh.gif I hope to know more about her with time.
nasir
Yes Bibhash, Shakila could have gone a long way ahead but for her sudden marriage.
By the way, Shakila' bungalow used to be located at Mira Bagh in the Santa Cruz area of Mumbai. Shakti Samant's and Ravi's Bungalows were also there. But in place of Shakila's, a tall building has come up after the demolition of her Bungalow.

I am certain you could get more info from her sister, Noor (JAANE KAHAAN MERA JIGAR GAYA JEE fame) who lives in the Lokhandwala Complex at Andheri West, Mumbai.

All the best!

parag_sankla
Nasir ji

As always you have come up with great pieces of information, this time on Shakila ji. I was speaking to the author of the book "Geeta Dutt: The Skylark" and this is what little information I got from her. Geeta ji and Guru Dutt's son Arun Dutt celebrated the occasion of 50 years of Guru Dutt films recently. Major actors who acted in his films were invited for this special program conducted in some five star hotel in Mumbai. Among the invitees were Shyama ji, Shakila ji and of course Waheeda Rehman.

nasir
QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Apr 22 2009, 11:25 PM) *

Nasir ji

As always you have come up with great pieces of information, this time on Shakila ji. I was speaking to the author of the book "Geeta Dutt: The Skylark" and this is what little information I got from her. Geeta ji and Guru Dutt's son Arun Dutt celebrated the occasion of 50 years of Guru Dutt films recently. Major actors who acted in his films were invited for this special program conducted in some five star hotel in Mumbai. Among the invitees were Shyama ji, Shakila ji and of course Waheeda Rehman.

Lovely Paragji! It is heartening to know that yesteryear stars do celebrate their past associations. smile.gif

iambibhash
QUOTE(nasir @ Apr 22 2009, 11:32 PM) *

Nasir ji

Lovely Paragji! It is heartening to know that yesteryear stars do celebrate their past associations. smile.gif

Thank you Nasir saab for the info..btw I think the actress in Jaane kahaan mera...was Yasmin...was that another name for Noor or they were different actresses?
hildebrand
You are right Yasmin ji was the one featured in Jaane kahan mera jigar Gaya Ji. (what glorious dimples wink2.gif )

You can see Noor as the second actress in Mohabbat Karlo Jee Bhar Lo in Aar Paar. (Suman Kalyanpur sings a few lines for her).
Ummer
Here is the interview of Shakila conducted few years ago ...

At a filmi function, the evergreen Dev Anand politely greeted a lady and then went right back to socializing with others. The lady approached him, smiled warmly and this time introduced herself as Shakila, his leading lady in his famous film, CID. Dev Anand, of course, couldn't believe his eyes. “You have changed so much!” he said, happy at meeting her after so long, “And where have you been all this while? I thought you must have you must have married a rich Arab and disappeared from India! I am really very happy to see you.”Shakila, of course, was equally happy and touched with the meeting. “Very few of us are as lucky as Dev saab, who is not affected by time at all. All of us have grown old and are ageing accordingly. There's nothing to feel bad about it! Dev saab didn't recognise me as we haven't been in touch. But as we parted, we promised to meet up again soon,” she says.

The actress, who acted in films like CID and Aar Paar, quit the industry when she got married. “My priorities changed after I tied the knot and my career assumed secondary importance,” she says. One wonders why she never thought of a comeback? “I keep getting film as well as television serial offers. But I don't like any of them. Moreover, the industry has changed so much. I don't know whether people will even recognise me!” she smiles. “And after being at the top and seeing all the glory, suddenly to be in a place where the same respect and dignity may not be accorded can be scary. But at the same time, we've seen the best of times and today if the limelight is on somebody else, why feel bad about it?” Shakila says.Youth and beauty may have faded, but Shakila is thankful for the wonderful friends who've been there for her all these years. “Waheeda, Nanda, Mala Sinha and Sairaji and Dilip saab, Nimmi.... the list is endless. We meet very often. Zindagi ke kuchh hi toh pal hain abhi, sab apni apni raftaar main chale gaye, saath reh gaye toh bas dost,” she says serenely.
Ummer
QUOTE(iambibhash @ Apr 23 2009, 05:55 PM) *

QUOTE(nasir @ Apr 22 2009, 11:32 PM) *

Nasir ji

Thank you Nasir saab for the info..btw I think the actress in Jaane kahaan mera...was Yasmin...was that another name for Noor or they were different actresses?

Yasmin's real name was Vinita Bhatt. She only acted in Mr and Mrs 55. She fell in love and married a German crew member in the Guru Dutt film unit and left movies.
suhana_safar
I have met Shakilla a few years ago. She lives in Bombay and is heavily involved with Charity. She and Johny walker were great freinds and the family too are very friendly. She seems a very modest and spiritual person.
oye_sonu
QUOTE(hildebrand @ May 13 2009, 05:12 PM) *

You are right Yasmin ji was the one featured in Jaane kahan mera jigar Gaya Ji. (what glorious dimples wink2.gif )

Tru Even I used to like her looks.

Whenever I used to see that song I used to wonder why she was not tried in a lead role. Very good looks .
(Jwalker always looked mismatch with her )

sonu
Harjinder
Hi Everyone
Nice to know some of us have a nostalagic feeling for stars of past years. Shakila worked mostly in lesser known movies but had an ebullient on screen personna. Not quite of the stature of Madhubala she also was (I think) a Pashtun or a Pathan as people of Peshawar area ( NWFP) are known in Punjab.I remember her from Aar Paar, CID, and Shriman Satyawadi. She had a movie personality that would not overwhelm one but grew slowly on moviegoers to make its impact. Harjinder
surhall

sangeet ka safar haver her list movies

Filmography Shakila »

Actress:

Hum Intezaar Karenge (1989)

Kahin Pyaar Na Ho Jaaye (1963)
Mulzim (1963)
... aka The Accused
Ustadon Ke Ustad (1963) .... Nita
... aka Conman's Conman
Baghdad Ki Raaten (1962)
... aka Abu Hasan
... aka Nights of Baghdad
China Town (1962) .... Rita D. Rai
Naqli Nawab (1962)
Tower House (1962) .... Sabita
Reshmi Rumal (1961) .... Rekha Rai
... aka The Silk Handkerchief
Abdulla (1960)
Baraat (1960)
... aka Marriage Procession
Dr. Shaitan (1960)
Gambler (1960)
Shriman Satyawadi (1960)

Forty Days (1959)
Guest House (1959) .... Neela
Kali Topi Lal Rumal (1959)
School Master (1959)
Al Hilal (1958)
Chaubees Ghante (1958)
Post Box 999 (1958) .... Nilima
Begunah (1957)
Naag Padmini (1957)
Paristan (1957)
... aka Gul-e-Bakawali (India: Hindi title: informal title)
Caravan (1956)
... aka Karwan (India: Hindi title: alternative transliteration)
C.I.D. (1956) .... Rekha
Malika (1956)
Paisa Hi Paisa (1956)
Roop Kumari (1956)
Mast Qalandar (1955)
Ratna Manjari (1955)
Aar-Paar (1954) .... Dancer (Captain's Moll)
... aka Across the Heart (International: English title: informal title)
... aka From One Side to the Other
Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves (1954)
Gul Bahar (1954)
Halla Gulla (1954)
... aka Hullabaloo
Khushboo (1954)
Laila (1954)
Lal Pari (1954)
Noor Mahal (1954)
Armaan (1953)
Madmust (1953)
Shahenshah (1953)
... aka Emperor
Jhansi Ki Rani (1952) (as Shakeela) .... Kashi
... aka Tiger and the Flame (USA: dubbed version)
Dastan (1950)

Duniya (1949)

dhall
iambibhash

Thanks for all the information. I am really overwhelmed that there are people out there who share my thoughts on the beautiful yesteryear actress...btw...can anybody please provide me the latest contact address of Shakilaji. I harbour a deep desire to meet her!

Anyway here's another still of her from Hatim Tai. I think she stopped acting after Kahin Pyaar Na Ho Jaaye.

jassi
Click to view attachment
well an another information for you,that she also endrosed for lux soap
iambibhash
QUOTE(jassi @ Jun 13 2009, 04:21 PM) *

Click to view attachment
well an another information for you,that she also endrosed for lux soap

Well is that really her huh.gif Looks quite different, do you have any other stuff like this...I am building quite a database of her screenshots and mag scans.

jassi
than who is this actress,but she also endrosed for lux soap..since i never saw any of her film,i thought it must be shakila,coz in recent femina,there is this small pic of her lux commercial,which is quite similer to this which i found on ebay
simplefable
she is definitely Shakila.. smile.gif
hildebrand
Great pic. I think we can make a separate thread of pictures of actresses from Lux commercials!
jassi
good idea,why to need an another topic..we can post in nostalgia topic of actresses
iambibhash
QUOTE(jassi @ Jun 21 2009, 12:01 PM) *

good idea,why to need an another topic..we can post in nostalgia topic of actresses

That's great..hope to find more ads of Shakilaji
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.