Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Itunes
Hamara Forums > General > Computing and Technology
Harjinder
Hi
I downloaded newer version of I tunes and now whenever I try to use it I get the following message
"The I Tunes Library is locked on a locked disc or you do not have write permission for this file" I cannot go any farther than this message to use the audio/video player.
Any tips to overcome this problem will be appreciated. Harjinder
simplefable
Harjinder Ji..i just got this info from the net.. two simple ways to get it right..

first..

1. Open your music library and find the following files.

iTunes Music Library.xml
iTunes Library.itl

2. For both files:

Right click on the file name.
Select properties
On the attributes pane, uncheck "read only" box.
Click OK

it should work. If it doesnt..you can try the second option..

1. Copy ‘iTunes 4 Music Library’ and ‘iTunes Music Library.xml’ out of your Music/iTunes folder. Put them on your Desktop.

2. Delete those two files from your Music/iTunes folder. Now the only thing in there will be your ‘iTunes Music’ folder (unless you keep that somewhere else, of course).

3. Start iTunes. It opens up empty. Now quit iTunes. Notice it has created new, empty ‘iTunes 4 Music Library’ and ‘iTunes Music Library.xml’ files.

4. Delete those new files. Copy your old files from your Desktop back into your Music/iTunes folder.

5. Start iTunes again

Best of luck.. smile.gif
Harjinder
QUOTE(simplefable @ Jan 10 2009, 10:24 PM) *

Harjinder Ji..i just got this info from the net.. two simple ways to get it right..

first..

1. Open your music library and find the following files.

iTunes Music Library.xml
iTunes Library.itl

2. For both files:

Right click on the file name.
Select properties
On the attributes pane, uncheck "read only" box.
Click OK

it should work. If it doesnt..you can try the second option..

1. Copy ‘iTunes 4 Music Library’ and ‘iTunes Music Library.xml’ out of your Music/iTunes folder. Put them on your Desktop.

2. Delete those two files from your Music/iTunes folder. Now the only thing in there will be your ‘iTunes Music’ folder (unless you keep that somewhere else, of course).

3. Start iTunes. It opens up empty. Now quit iTunes. Notice it has created new, empty ‘iTunes 4 Music Library’ and ‘iTunes Music Library.xml’ files.

4. Delete those new files. Copy your old files from your Desktop back into your Music/iTunes folder.

5. Start iTunes again

Best of luck.. smile.gif

Hi Simplefable saheb
Thanks for your help. My big problem is opening Itunes player. Above mentioned message pops up whenever I try to open it. I have uninstalled and reloaded Itunes but this problem of not being able to open it persists. Any suggestions ? After opening it, I think either of your solutions should work. Again thanks for your help. Harjinder
simplefable
Harjinder ji...this is the solution when you cant open itunes at all. smile.gif
go to Start----search---itunes. then, you will get to see the folder itunes library and itunes music library. then follow the steps as i wrote.
by defaut, these folders will be in my documents/ my music/ itunes folder.
Marcilo
Got to wait for Deewani to reply … our Resident iTunes expert... Ping her wink.gif
Harjinder
Hi Simplefable & Marcilo
Thanks for your helpful suggestions.Harjinder
deewani
QUOTE(Marcilo @ Jan 12 2009, 07:16 AM) *
Got to wait for Deewani to reply … our Resident iTunes expert... Ping her wink.gif

I have not experienced this problem, but I also do not have any other users on my PC. It seems this issue may involve permissions being messed up on computers with multiple user profiles. Are you using Windows XP? I'm assuming you are, but let us know. Only one user can have iTunes running at a time on a single computer. If there are more then one users logged in to your pc, log off the other accounts and try again.

simplefable has posted the two most common solutions to this issue. Try the first one first - unchecking read- only for iTunes Music folders - let us know if they helped you.

This is the official Apple support page dealing with this issue which mentions neither of those (it is from last year):
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1866?viewlocale=en_US

This is another general troubleshooting page of theirs: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1421

simplefable's second "fix" is on the right track but a bit wrong - I would follow the instructions listed below instead of his.

Before attempting this, I would ALSO do the following: after locating both files listed below, copy them to a place on your computer other then the desktop, where you can retrieve them later just in case: iTunes Music Library.xml and iTunes Library.itl If you have to resort to a complete uninstall of iTunes, they will come in handy in rebuilding your library/database. Hopefully you will not have to use this backup of a backup. Secondly, if you have not done it in a while I would also take this opportunity to backup all of your music on your hard drive.

I have used this process before to fix a corrupt library. In this instance they want you to actually drag one of those files, iTunes Library.itl, to the trash. If that makes you nervous, don't worry as we just did a backup of both files in the step above. If your library is rebuilt successfully you want to TRASH that file, not paste it back into iTunes. Please note the two files have similar names but are DIFFERENT!

Re-creating the iTunes Library file (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451)
Follow these steps:

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Locate your iTunes folder.
    • For Microsoft Windows XP and 2000 the iTunes folder is stored in:
      \Documents and Settings\[your username]\My Documents\My Music\
    • For Microsoft Windows Vista the iTunes folder is stored in:
      \Users\[your username]\Music\
  3. Open your iTunes folder.
  4. Drag the iTunes Music Library.xml to the Desktop
  5. Drag the following file from your iTunes folder to the Trash : iTunes Library.itl
  6. Open iTunes.
  7. From the File menu, choose Library > Import Playlist.
  8. Navigate to the iTunes Music Library.xml file on the Desktop.
  9. Windows users: Click Open.
After re-creating your library, any devices that you sync with iTunes (Apple TV, iPod, etc) will see your iTunes library as a new library and will completely resync." Hopefully now when you close iTunes and reopen, it will open OK.

Basically this re-creating the library step will recreate a brand new iTunes Library.itl , you do not want the old one as it was most likely corrupt!

I hope you are able to launch it again, once you are, please make sure you back up your library thus:
http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=511771
Also detailed here: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/...itunes-library/ This is to backup your library content (the database, NOT the songs), playlists, etc. It is a better way then just saving the iTunes Music Library.xml and iTunes Library.itl files.

If all else fails you may have to uninstall iTunes completely and re-install it, please see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925?viewlocale=en_US but save your iTunes Music Library.xml file first so you can re-create your library because as mentioned at iLounge: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/...unes-music-2005
Now, even if your computer crashes and you lose everything, you’ll be able to restore your iTunes library easily. After installing iTunes, drop those two files into the iTunes folder (again, the one located in your My Documents > My Music folders if you are running Windows, or your Music folder (inside your home folder) if you use Mac OS X), and then use your CDs or DVDs to copy all of your music back into the iTunes Music folder.

Harjinder
Hi Deewani
Thanks for your input.I am using Windows Vista. My computer has provision for multiple users but I am the only one using it and in one Window only.One problem I am having is to open ITunes. I may be missing something in the above shown instructions or my limited knowledge of computer software may be getting in the way.I am going to try all these suggestions from you and Simplefable. Again many thanks for your help.Harjinder
deewani
I doubt you did anything wrong, iTunes 8 has a temperamental history with Vista. Since you have Vista, do check what kind of Vista you are running, 32 bit or 64 bit. You can do this by right clicking on "my computer" icon on desktop, choose properties and look at system tab. Alternatively you can go to Start button, click Control Panel, click System and Maintenance, click System and it should say 32 bit or 64 bit.

If you have 32 bit, then the download from the regular iTunes download page should be fine:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

If you have 64 bit though, you want to use a different version of iTunes found here:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/iTunes_...ws_Vista_64_bit

So that may be something to look at. Also for Vista, some are having success by turning off User Account Control - an area I am unfamiliar with since I still use XP.

Software issues are very frustrating, I know, hope yours gets resolved soon. Good luck.

Harjinder
Hi Deewani
Thanks for your help. Windows Vista on my computer is 32 bit.
I have another idea. Is it possible to reload previous vesion of ITunes? If it is, can you direct me to its source and may be help out with steps to download that version. Thanks. Harjinder
deewani
QUOTE(Harjinder @ Jan 15 2009, 05:23 PM) *
Hi Deewani
Thanks for your help. Windows Vista on my computer is 32 bit.
I have another idea. Is it possible to reload previous vesion of ITunes? If it is, can you direct me to its source and may be help out with steps to download that version. Thanks. Harjinder

This page seems to have all the versions, Apple does not host them. Good luck!
http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.htm
Harjinder
Hi Deewani
Thanks.I think I have it working again. I had to upload Itunes alongwith Quicktime. That seems to have made it work. Harjinder
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.