Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: B R Chopra Passes Away
Hamara Forums > Films > Bollywood
surhall
sangeet ka safar have very sad news

Noted filmmaker B R Chopra passes away

Mumbai, November 5: Substance was the hallmark of B R Chopra's films but the legendary filmmaker who passed away in Mumbai on Wednesday at the age of 94 always felt that the rise of money and stardom have vitiated the image of Indian cinema.
The eminent producer-director was of the view that a film is not just about jugglery with money. He believed that a film addresses itself to the society and it is the duty of filmmakers to make healthy and wholesome films, preferably with good story and social significance.

Chopra practised what he preached. Whether it was adultery (Gumraah), the politics of rape (Insaaf Ka Tarazu), Muslim matrimony laws (Nikaah), rehabilitation of prostitutes (Sadhana), widow remarriage (Ek Hi Raasta), Chopra always had a sharp, clear and effective non-formula tale to tell.

Baldev Raj Chopra gave great importance to story because he himself had started his career as a writer. An MA in English literature, he would have continued to work as a film journalist with the Cine Herald had it not been the partition of India.

Post Independence, he came to Mumbai and after a stint in production, made his first directorial venture with 'Afsana' (1951).

The story was about good and evil featuring twin brothers, both played by Ashok Kumar in a double role. 'Afsana' was a success and Chopra's narrative cohesion was widely admired.

When Chopra entered the film business after coming from Lahore, he had no experience of filmmaking and did not know how to contact stars.

He wanted to sign Ashok Kumar for 'Afsana' and had to use the good offices of J P Tiwari, Chairman of Bombay Talkies, "you have no experience in filmmaking or direction and you expect me to hand over my career to you who has no knowledge of direction and at a time when I am on top?" asked Ashok Kumar when he met the aspiring filmmaker.

But later the novice filmmaker impressed the film star with his script. Chopra's off beat Meena Kumari-starer 'Ek Hi Raasta' (1956) saw him ascending in his career. Chopra's professional life entered its best phase with the Dilip Kumar-Vyjayantimala starer super hit movie 'Naya Daur' (1957).

The film won tremendous pre-release publicity when its previous actress Madhubala refused to shoot at an outdoor location. This prompted Chopra to take the actress to court. Perhaps inspired by such real life legal battle, the courtroom became a steady fixture in his films the songless 'Kanoon', 'Waqt', Dastaan or 'Insaaf ka Taraazu'.

In 1959, B R gave younger brother Yash Chopra, a chance to direct 'Dhool Ka Phool' Thereafter he entrusted the direction of major productions like 'Waqt', 'Aadmi aur Insan' to Yash. When Yash left B R to start his own production company in the 70s, B R was shattered.

"I was on sleeping pills for six month's because it destroyed my dreams of a joint family," he was quoted as saying.

Besides, professional life was also not good with his films 'Dastaan' (1972), 'Karm' (1977) flopping. But his comedy flick 'Patni patni aur Woh' (1978) put smile back on Chopra's face.

Later films like 'Awaam' and 'Burning Train' failed at the box office but divine intervention came in the form of record breaking success of 'Mahabharat' on small screen.

dhall
Sharmila-Sweet
Amitabh Bachchan remembers B R Chopra

Yesterday, veteran filmmaker B R Chopra passed away. Amitabh Bahchan, who is a Chopra family friend, could not attend the funeral as he is away in Udaipur, where he is resting, following his recent illness.

Such a long journey

"Chopra saab and I go back a long way," says the Big B. "I've worked for many years with him. When Chopra saab's son Ravi started his career as a director with Zameer, I played the lead in it. We've lost a stalwart. Him, his brother Yashji and their family have given so much to the industry. Another brother, Dharam Chopra was a cinematographer, while a fourth brother was into distribution. So it's a family dedicated to cinema."

Socially relevant

"One never came away from a B R Chopra film without absorbing a social and moral conflict. Sadly, there's a complete absence of all social relevance in today's cinema. Chopra saab always remained steadfast in his belief that cinema has to have a special message. When Ravi Chopra returned to cinema after so many years with Baghban, his idea of honouring one's parents sounded so archaic. But look at the relevance of his film! It was so unbelievable. In fact, B R Chopra saab himself wanted to direct it at one time. Again, in Baabul, they took on the theme of widow remarriage. The core of humanism and social relevance remained with Chopra saab till the end."

The last film that Amitabh did for B R Films was Bhootnath. Says the Big B, "Chopra saab's films have always brought in the theme of tradition versus modernism. In Bhootnath the pitra-paksh, the last rites for the parents' soul, was brought in. I'd suggested the idea that pitra-paksh be incorporated into the script. Yes, that suggestion was incorporated by him and his son Kuki (Ravi). They were always open to ideas. B R valued tradition and culture."

Bachchan and B R Films are coming together again for Pocket Maar. He adds, "We're 75 percent through with the plot. But I am not happy with where it's going. I can sit with them and sort it out. That's the kind of relationship I shared with Chopra saab and then his son. The script is very important for them. For Baghban we wrote 15-16 drafts. We took advice from many people including Javed Akhtar. And that's how we came up with the final screenplay. My main idea was we must not look down on our parents, because they are the ones who bring us up. Such thoughts ran beautifully through hiss cinema. Such lovely moments are lost in our cinema today."

In grief

The Big B sighs, " I lament this loss. B R wasn't making movies for the money. He made some of the most relevant movies of our times. After Baghban, many real-life parent-child equations changed. I hope Ravi Chopra continues his father's legacy. I'm blessed to have worked with both."

jassi
rest in peace
oye_sonu

He believed that a film addresses itself to the society and it is the duty of filmmakers to make healthy and wholesome films, preferably with good story and social significance.

Big legend. agar quantity aur quality dono ko include karein to films ke sabse bade Giants mein se ek !

bahut bada contribution hai B R chopra ji ka .

salute to you Sir

sonu
surhall
QUOTE(oye_sonu @ Nov 6 2008, 03:56 PM) *

He believed that a film addresses itself to the society and it is the duty of filmmakers to make healthy and wholesome films, preferably with good story and social significance.

Big legend. agar quantity aur quality dono ko include karein to films ke sabse bade Giants mein se ek !

bahut bada contribution hai B R chopra ji ka .

salute to you Sir

sonu

He wad godfather hindi cinema.
dhall
surhall
sangeet ka safar have more picture

dhall
surhall
sangeet ka safar have Bollywood Parties >> BR Chopra Funeral

dhall
surhall
sangeet ka safar get more funeral_B_R_Chopra_pictures

dhall
desai2rn

A huge loss to film industry. B R Chopra will always be rememberd for his tremendous contribution to the industry. A gutsy person who followed
his conviction without worrying about result. Dharamputra, Gumraah
Nayadaur were challangeing subjects.

May his soul rest in peace !

wishboy
A huge loss to all movie lovers.May the noble soul rest in peace.His memory will remain with us for ever.Movies like naya daur,humraz,dhool ka phool,the burning train will never allow us to forget this great director and producer.I pray that may god give strength to family members.
oye_sonu
QUOTE(desai2rn @ Nov 9 2008, 02:41 AM) *

A huge loss to film industry. B R Chopra will always be rememberd for his tremendous contribution to the industry. A gutsy person who followed

Desai ji Iam not able towatchmuch movies . and of the three movies I haveseen only 1- naya daur that too atleast 15+ yuears ago. I think it was more to do with rich Vs poor topic. I think Dharaamputra and Gumraah ( abt infidelity?) were more challenging subjects ! ! he attempted those subjects 40+ years ago. just check how relevant those topics are today - communalism etc.

I havent seen dharmaputra but seen few scenes . it was really bold of him to take up such a topic.

Can any one tell me abt any other director(bollywood_) who took up such diverse topics?? and with such sucess ?? his brother yash raj didnt took risks......but always prefered same romanitc film forumla !

Sonu
desai2rn
QUOTE(oye_sonu @ Nov 9 2008, 10:35 PM) *

QUOTE(desai2rn @ Nov 9 2008, 02:41 AM) *

Desai ji Iam not able towatchmuch movies . and of the three movies I haveseen only 1- naya daur that too atleast 15+ yuears ago. I think it was more to do with rich Vs poor topic. I think Dharaamputra and Gumraah ( abt infidelity?) were more challenging subjects ! ! he attempted those subjects 40+ years ago. just check how relevant those topics are today - communalism etc.

I havent seen dharmaputra but seen few scenes . it was really bold of him to take up such a topic.

Can any one tell me abt any other director(bollywood_) who took up such diverse topics?? and with such sucess ?? his brother yash raj didnt took risks......but always prefered same romanitc film forumla !

Sonu

Hi Sonu

Over the years there has been few directors who can named in that group. The two names that immediatley
comes to mind are Bimal Roy, (Dau Beega Zameen, Bandini, sujata), Raj Kapoor (Awwara, Shri420, Jagte Raho ...). I am sure there are a few more we can come up with.

As for Naya Daur I read an article that the author of Naya Daur, I think Akhtar Mirza (I am not sure), went to various producer but no one wanted to touch it. They all thought a movie wilth such storyline fail badly.
B R Chopra was the only one who agreed, and rest of the industry thought he was heading for disaster.
Then he had problem finding a hero for the movie for the same reason. Ashok Kumar liked the role but
advised him to a younger hero. He suggested Dilip Kumar. When BR informed him that DK has already
declined the role, Ashok Kumar promised BR that he will talk to Dilip Kumar about it. Of course then
there was the legal issues when Madhubala was replaced by Vyjiantimala.

The movie was a superhit despite all the negatives and contraversies.

Dharam Putra is excellent and can still teach us lot.
Gumarah was way ahead of its time. I am not sure of its commercial success.
oye_sonu
QUOTE(desai2rn @ Nov 9 2008, 11:19 PM) *

Hi Sonu

Over the years there has been few directors who can named in that group. The two names that immediatley
comes to mind are Bimal Roy, (Dau Beega Zameen, Bandini, sujata), Raj Kapoor (Awwara, Shri420, Jagte Raho ...). I am sure there are a few more we can come up with.

As for Naya Daur I read an article that the author of Naya Daur, I think Akhtar Mirza (I am not sure), went to various producer but no one wanted to touch it. They all thought a movie wilth such storyline fail badly.
B R Chopra was the only one who agreed, and rest of the industry thought he was heading for disaster.
Then he had problem finding a hero for the movie for the same reason. Ashok Kumar liked the role but
advised him to a younger hero. He suggested Dilip Kumar. When BR informed him that DK has already
declined the role, Ashok Kumar promised BR that he will talk to Dilip Kumar about it. Of course then
there was the legal issues when Madhubala was replaced by Vyjiantimala.

The movie was a superhit despite all the negatives and contraversies.

Dharam Putra is excellent and can still teach us lot.
Gumarah was way ahead of its time. I am not sure of its commercial success.

Thanks desai ji for the information. !

Bimal roy's sujata was indeed very bold s ubject. ( I think on unaccountability ? )

But I feel BR chopra's list is longer and subjects were more verstile !

in lil hurry !

regards

Sonu
manish7

Can any one tell me abt any other director(bollywood_) who took up such diverse topics??
Sonu

Hrishikesh Mukherjee - my favorite director whom I hold in the highest regard.
oye_sonu
QUOTE(manish7 @ Nov 14 2008, 07:37 AM) *

Can any one tell me abt any other director(bollywood_) who took up such diverse topics??
Sonu

Hrishikesh Mukherjee - my favorite director whom I hold in the highest regard.

Manish ji he is my most fav also. he is director of two of most fav moviesofmine - Anari and Anand !

He was brillinat director editor but still I feel he didnt took up many social issues.

Sonu
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.