Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Devdas Vs Devdas
Hamara Forums > Films > Bollywood
eva2468
i recently watched the dvd of the film devdas played by dilip kumar. i have watched this film many times & i love it even more. when the remake of devdas played by shah rukh khan came out i went to see it because my friends had told me it was fantastic, but i didnt like it & found it difficult to watch it till the end. shah rukh is a good actor, but he is not dilip kumar in acting or looks, & aishwarya is not the smolderingly beautiful suchitra sen. i know the 1955 devdas is not in color & does not have lots of people singing & dancing (except for vyjanthimalas songs) but it is a superior film in the dialogue & in the way the story is told simply. the dialogue between paro & devdas when she goes to see him & begs him to go away with her is my favorite ever. what does anyone else think?
jassi
srk's devdas,coz of kiron kher performance(if delete her scenes,devdas will not look good enough)..i have no idea if in dilip kumar's devdas suchitra sen's mother's role was powerful or not..i watched only few parts of dilip's devdas

but it would have nice to watch gulzar's incomplete devdas starring dharmendra,sharmila and hema..
nasir
QUOTE(eva2468 @ Sep 17 2008, 06:33 AM) *

i recently watched the dvd of the film devdas played by dilip kumar. i have watched this film many times & i love it even more. when the remake of devdas played by shah rukh khan came out i went to see it because my friends had told me it was fantastic, but i didnt like it & found it difficult to watch it till the end. shah rukh is a good actor, but he is not dilip kumar in acting or looks, & aishwarya is not the smolderingly beautiful suchitra sen. i know the 1955 devdas is not in color & does not have lots of people singing & dancing (except for vyjanthimalas songs) but it is a superior film in the dialogue & in the way the story is told simply. the dialogue between paro & devdas when she goes to see him & begs him to go away with her is my favorite ever. what does anyone else think?

Dilip Kumar's DEVDAS is definitely superior to SRK's - in matter of direction, acting, screenplay, and faithful adaption of the original story. In matter of colour, glamour, costume and drama SRK's DEVDAS is ahead. The SDB composition of MITWA song by Talat Mehmood is outstanding; while I found AB AAGE TERI MARZI and O JAANE WAALE...very pleasing against the 'Thaap' of dholak and Tabla. JISE TUU QABOOL KAR LE was also memorable. Motilal's characterization of Chunilal in the older version is miles ahead of the same portrayal by Jackie Shroff in the latter. The latter version was contrived to appeal to box office. An example is the meeting of Chandramukhi and Paro on the occasion of Durga Pooja and the song and dance.

Vyjayantimala was very forthcoming when she said that Dilip Kumar acted as the Devdas; while SRK acted as himself.

The pity is that in DVD's or CD's we hardly get to view the entire older movies.

eva2468
to JASSI - you need to watch the whole film of the real Devdas (not the srk imitation) & not just parts of it please.

to NASIR - you said it even better than i did. i applaud you & your fantastic tastes.

ps im not sure why you say in dvds or cds we hardly get to see the entire movie. all the movies in my collection are on dvds & there is nothing missing from them. ?
Reeth

QUOTE(nasir @ Sep 18 2008, 04:25 PM) *

Dilip Kumar's DEVDAS is definitely superior to SRK's - in matter of direction, acting, screenplay, and faithful adaption of the original story. In matter of colour, glamour, costume and drama SRK's DEVDAS is ahead. The SDB composition of MITWA song by Talat Mehmood is outstanding; while I found AB AAGE TERI MARZI and O JAANE WAALE...very pleasing against the 'Thaap' of dholak and Tabla. JISE TUU QABOOL KAR LE was also memorable. Motilal's characterization of Chunilal in the older version is miles ahead of the same portrayal by Jackie Shroff in the latter. The latter version was contrived to appeal to box office. An example is the meeting of Chandramukhi and Paro on the occasion of Durga Pooja and the song and dance.

Vyjayantimala was very forthcoming when she said that Dilip Kumar acted as the Devdas; while SRK acted as himself.

The pity is that in DVD's or CD's we hardly get to view the entire older movies.

I totally agree with those views...there is just no comparison between the 2 films.Whereas the old devdas is a true classic , the new Devdas lacked soul, more like a well finished glitzy product..
simplefable
The Devdas of Dilip scores head over shoulders over the new one. Films ultimately survive because of the excellent direction, acting and music. It had all. Colors just like beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder..for me Madhumati is the ultimate color film..as my heart portrays it so vividly.
1955 Devdas will still be seen in 2055. But can anyone say the same about 2002 Devdas ? smile.gif
desai2rn

The Old Devdas is far too superior and makes this debate pointless in my view.

Sanjay Bansali is good but he cannot recreate a Bimal Roy magic in 100 attempts.

Dilip Kumar is a Thespian while SRK at best is a poster boy IMO and Devdas is Dilipkumar's Best.

Bimal Roy's Devdas was very true to the Novel where as new diverted beyond belief. If the author,

Sharatchandra, was alive he would have denied permission for the movie. ( He only agreed initally

when he was told KL Saigal would act in the 4o's version, which by the was better than SRK's )

The only acting I liked in the latest was that of Madhuri's.

eva2468
thank you guys for restoring my faith in peoples good taste. unfortunately i do know people who rave about the new version. dilip kumar puts his soul into his acting.

ps maybe i am blinded by feelings but i think mr dilip kumar still looks good for his age.
nasir
QUOTE(eva2468 @ Sep 18 2008, 10:18 PM) *

to JASSI - you need to watch the whole film of the real Devdas (not the srk imitation) & not just parts of it please.

to NASIR - you said it even better than i did. i applaud you & your fantastic tastes.

ps im not sure why you say in dvds or cds we hardly get to see the entire movie. all the movies in my collection are on dvds & there is nothing missing from them. ?

Thanks Eva2468.

I am very serious when I say that in DVDs and CDs we hardly get to see the entire movie. This is specially true of Dilip Kumar movies. Some two years ago I had purchased the LEADER DVD. Believe me, choicest of scenes were missing from the DVD. Scenes that were life and blood of that movie such as the promise of Dilip to Vyjyanti near the Taj Mahal that he would make her another Taj Mahal. Or the hilarious encounter between the General and Dilip and their sword fights and humour and witticism. And many other scenes.
I was so much annoyed that I just shelved that DVD but am dying to see LEADER all over again provided I get the intact story. Even in Madhumati, same was the case though not to a great extent. How I wish they would release the older films at some selected cinema-hall!

Speaking about DEVDAS, a very prominent lady journalist (since deceased) has recounted how she and her friends used to bunk the school and go to see that movie every time, and how she had befriended the usher there who would allow them but after fondling them. She used to tolerate this. Such was the craze of DEVDAS.

eva2468
Thank you too Nasir. I have not seen Leader in a long while and hope to get the dvd soon and now I will look out for the missing scenes you mentioned.

I had to read that line twice about the usher fondling girls to let them in to see Devdas, honestly I thought I misread that word or that you misspelled it. Thats horrible and disturbing.

Finally, yes, such was the craze of DEVDAS but also such was the craze of DILIP KUMAR, I think.
Reeth
QUOTE(nasir @ Oct 2 2008, 02:01 AM) *

Thanks Eva2468.

I am very serious when I say that in DVDs and CDs we hardly get to see the entire movie. This is specially true of Dilip Kumar movies. Some two years ago I had purchased the LEADER DVD. Believe me, choicest of scenes were missing from the DVD. Scenes that were life and blood of that movie such as the promise of Dilip to Vyjyanti near the Taj Mahal that he would make her another Taj Mahal. Or the hilarious encounter between the General and Dilip and their sword fights and humour and witticism. And many other scenes.
I was so much annoyed that I just shelved that DVD but am dying to see LEADER all over again provided I get the intact story. Even in Madhumati, same was the case though not to a great extent. How I wish they would release the older films at some selected cinema-hall!

Speaking about DEVDAS, a very prominent lady journalist (since deceased) has recounted how she and her friends used to bunk the school and go to see that movie every time, and how she had befriended the usher there who would allow them but after fondling them. She used to tolerate this. Such was the craze of DEVDAS.

I agree with that , i bought 'Teesri Manzil ' on DVD and i found the entire comical sequence prior to the song 'Dekhye sahibo woh koyi aur thi' and the song deleted..they just show the end of the scene on the giant wheel.Honestly i dont see why they need to be such killjoys....charge more if needed for heaven' sake but leave the film intact! mad.gif
nasir
QUOTE(Reeth @ Oct 3 2008, 12:59 AM) *

QUOTE(nasir @ Oct 2 2008, 02:01 AM) *

Thanks Eva2468.

I agree with that , i bought 'Teesri Manzil ' on DVD and i found the entire comical sequence prior to the song 'Dekhye sahibo woh koyi aur thi' and the song deleted..they just show the end of the scene on the giant wheel.Honestly i dont see why they need to be such killjoys....charge more if needed for heaven' sake but leave the film intact! mad.gif

Yes Reeth, I think the scene you are referring to is about the Bungalow of Premnath where the girls have a treat of apples. In other words, Premnath is never introduced but we find him coming to the help of Shammi Kapoor. How disgusting. How would the person watching it for the first time know about the character of Premnath?

HarshBhatt
Bimal Roy's Devdas version is the best.

I have watched PC Barua's Devdas (Played by K.L.Saigal) also.

SRK acted Devdas is a torture from direction to screenplay.
RajKapoorFan
I like the old Devdas because I like Dillip act
nasir
QUOTE(eva2468 @ Oct 2 2008, 03:36 AM) *

Thank you too Nasir. I have not seen Leader in a long while and hope to get the dvd soon and now I will look out for the missing scenes you mentioned.

I had to read that line twice about the usher fondling girls to let them in to see Devdas, honestly I thought I misread that word or that you misspelled it. Thats horrible and disturbing.

Finally, yes, such was the craze of DEVDAS but also such was the craze of DILIP KUMAR, I think.

Of course, Eva, it was the magic of Dilip Kumar that made Devdas immortal. smile.gif
Of course, you read it rightly. But then that journalist was a daring female who wrote daring things and that phase had already begun during her school days it appears. Sometimes she did pay a heavy price for her articles and was even hammered by a prominent star. You can say she was the female Khushwant Singh.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.