Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lets Learn Bangla
Hamara Forums > General > Lingo Hamara > Regional Languages
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
jayant
Guru,Rafi saab,Lataji,Asha ji has sung so many songs in this language.
So,lets start a class on teaching this language.Believe me its a very very easy language 2 pick up.
js
Pradeep
Yaa... my introduction to this language started with...

Roshgulloh bishon meetha
Nimii
I am for it smile1.gif

N smile1.gif
jayant
Its,

rosogolla bhisan mishti

QUOTE(Pradeep @ Nov 4 2004, 04:37 PM)

Roshgulloh bishon meetha

Nimii
Mishti means sweet smile1.gif

N smile1.gif
unni
QUOTE(Pradeep @ Nov 4 2004, 07:07 AM)

Roshgulloh bishon meetha

Usually the first Bengali phrase one learns is "Ami tomakey bhalo-baashi". tongue.gif
Nimii
Ye lo Unni learns all the right phrases!! I am hope you use it on the right person biggrin.gif

N smile1.gif
unni
QUOTE(Nimii @ Nov 4 2004, 10:06 AM)
Ye lo Unni learns all the right phrases!! I am hope you use it on the right person biggrin.gif

N smile1.gif

Starting with Bipasha. tongue.gif
Nimii
UNNI?????????????????? Bips??????????????

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr what happened to MS??

I thought u were fida over her??

tch tch!! Iss rang badalti duniya mein.. insaan ki neeyat... tongue.gif
unni
QUOTE(Nimii @ Nov 4 2004, 10:08 AM)
UNNI?????????????????? Bips??????????????

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr what happened to MS??

I thought u were fida over her??

tch tch!! Iss rang badalti duniya mein.. insaan ki neeyat... tongue.gif

With all the posters being featured in HF, it's become difficult to remain loyal.

So many women. So little time. sad1.gif

"Kaathalikka Neramillai". Or should that go into the Tamil thread? laugh.gif
Nimii
Lo karlo baat.. Blame it on the WP thread hahahaha

Ok, we are moving away from the real discussion of this thread :E

Btw is there any site where english can be translated to bengali and vice versa!!

N ?
jayant
task for 2day.Tell me what is meant here.Specially for UNNI.

BANGALI MEYERA KHUB SUNDARI HOY
SAJJAD
PLZ, don't disturb me - i'm trying to learn English laugh.gif
unni
QUOTE(jayant @ Nov 4 2004, 12:23 PM)
task for 2day.Tell me what is meant here.Specially for UNNI.

BANGALI MEYERA KHUB SUNDARI HOY

"Bengali girls are very beautiful"

Don't I know. I was born and bred in Calcutta. smile1.gif
Nimii
*Thud* Unni ohmy.gif I didnt know that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N ohmy.gif
Poppy
I'll be very much present here jayantda .....

Have not heard many of GURU's bengali numbers ....

But now this section will help me in learning BENGALI smile1.gif

rgds,
gkshyam
Hey,,,,,,,,Not sure....whether this is like "Waking up a sleeping gaint" or something...A post coming into this thread after ages, I suppose....But I'm also interested in Learning Bengali.......Actually me interested in learning lots of new languages......like that very much.......So thought........why not start off with Bengali........will also begin on others soon enough........So........Any takers for a new student out here???? smile1.gif Do reply!!!!!! smile.gif
humble_rafi
dun forget abt other legends like

BEGUM AKHTAR
MEHDI HASSAN
MUKESH
TALAT MEHMOOD sunglasses2.gif sunglasses2.gif sunglasses2.gif
Mandrake
QUOTE(gkshyam @ May 17 2005, 11:37 PM)
Hey,,,,,,,,Not sure....whether this is like "Waking up a sleeping gaint" or something...A post coming into this thread after ages, I suppose....But I'm also interested in Learning Bengali.......Actually me interested in learning lots of new languages......like that very much.......So thought........why not start off with Bengali........will also begin on others soon enough........So........Any takers for a new student out here???? smile1.gif Do reply!!!!!! smile.gif

GK ji, believe it or not (I mean - pleeeease believe it wink2.gif), I spent one full year at the Bongo Bhasha Proshar Shomiti learning Bangla JUST (and I mean JUSSSST) to understand Kishore-da's Bengali songs. Believe me, the trouble was well worth it. smile1.gif thumbs-up.gif
gkshyam
Wow!!!! Mandrake.....that was One Helluva effort!!!! Hope I make some progress atleast......with my learning of Bengali out here.........Sure the sweet language's gonna come well in handy.......Excitedly waiting for someone to 'start' the teaching!!!! wink2.gif smile1.gif
gkshyam
I mean......I dunno whether I'll enough time to go to classes........definitely will give it a thought......as and when I get a bit free.......But......as of now......looking for a decent start here at HF..... wink2.gif
humble_rafi
BENGLA is the second sweetest language after FRENCH sunglasses2.gif
gkshyam
Hmmm......So...the classes for the second sweetest language....not yet begun......Still waiting!!!! unsure.gif
Mandrake
QUOTE(gkshyam @ May 19 2005, 04:40 PM)
Hmmm......So...the classes for the second sweetest language....not yet begun......Still waiting!!!! unsure.gif

So let's begin somewhere!

Aami tomaar bondhu (I am your friend)

Tumi aamaar bondhu (You are my friend)

Aami taar (t is soft) bondhu (I am his/her friend)
Nimii
QUOTE(Mandrake @ May 28 2005, 01:34 PM)
QUOTE(gkshyam @ May 19 2005, 04:40 PM)

So let's begin somewhere!

Aami tomaar bondhu (I am your friend)

Tumi aamaar bondhu (You are my friend)

Aami taar (t is soft) bondhu (I am his/her friend)

Mandrake when did you learn bengali?!?!?!?

N ohmy.gif
Mandrake
smile1.gif

Amon toh aami shikhechhi, kintu bhalo boltey paari na... practice jey neyi aamaake wink2.gif
(That way, I have learnt, but cannot speak it well... don't have enough practice)

Nimii, spent a solid year studying Bangla (also acted in a Bengali play in front of an all-bengali crowd). Joined the course JUST to understand what Kishore was singing so beautifully.

bow.gif
Nimii
WOW THAT IS GREAT MANDRAKE!! To understand GURU songs u actually spent a year learning Bangla! AMAZING!

HATS OFF TO YOU smile1.gif

n smile1.gif
gkshyam
Wow!!!! Mandrake.......thanks for starting off my lessons in Bengali.....YES.... Tumi Aamaar Bondhu!!!!! Excitedly awaiting the next lessons!!!!!! smile1.gifsmile1.gifsmile1.gif
friend4u
well...

how about starting the day with..

Aaj Shokalta Ki Shundor... meaning the morning is so wonderful today
Dorja ( Door)
Janla( Windows)

see u got to know some words in bengali smile1.gif
gkshyam
WOW....Good progress.....Bhalo Bhalo.....(does that mean nice???) HEHE.....Just trying my hand at something new.......please contniue the classes..... smile1.gif
Mandrake
QUOTE(gkshyam @ Jun 13 2005, 01:06 PM)
WOW....Good progress.....Bhalo Bhalo.....(does that mean nice???) HEHE.....Just trying my hand at something new.......please contniue the classes..... smile1.gif

Bhalo is 'good'.
Bheeshon bhalo is 'very good'.
GK ji, let me point out something interesting (to me):
Bheeshon is the same word that is 'bheeshan' in marathi.
But in marathi, 'bheeshan' has a very negative shadow.
'Bheeshan' is used as 'horrible'. 'Bheeshan apaghaat' is 'horrible accident'.
But in Bangla, bheeshon is used with good words, as in 'bheeshon shundor' - very beautiful.
A word-to-word translation of 'bheeshon shundor' in marathi would be 'horribly beautiful'

blab.gif wink2.gif
gkshyam
Hey!!!! That is so very different usage of the same word in two different languages .......from two different extremes (West and East) of the same country.......Really surprising to note the same word used both in a very positive sense as well as a negative term....Guess what would be the case if Sundar (Shundor) might have carried some other meaning in Marathi!!!! wink2.gif
gkshyam
Ehhh Bondhu......Kee Korche??? Where are the next lessons????? wink2.gif smile1.gif
gkshyam
Amaar Bondhu??? Where are you???? (Great rhyming na???? smile1.gif I must try my hand at Bengali Poetry!!!! wink2.gif)
Next lessons long pending....(this is not Bheeshon Bhaalo.....) sad1.gif
Mandrake
OK GKS, here you go:

Aami thaaki = I stay/live

Aami Kolkaataay thaaki = I live in Kolkata
Aami Mumbaitey thaaki = I live in Mumbai
Aami Bangalorey thaaki = I live in Bangalore

The rule is simple:
Names ending in 'aa' will have an 'aay' as suffix (pronounced like the letter 'I')
Names ending in 'ee' will have 'tey' as suffix (soft 'tey' as in rishtey/naatey)
Names ending in 'uh' (as in Bangalore/Nagpur/Gangtok) will have 'ey' as suffix (same 'ey' as in risht-ey/naat-ey)

So where do you live? smile1.gif
Nimii
QUOTE(Mandrake @ Jun 26 2005, 11:01 PM)
OK GKS, here you go:

Aami thaaki = I stay/live

Aami Kolkaataay thaaki = I live in Kolkata
Aami Mumbaitey thaaki = I live in Mumbai
Aami Bangalorey thaaki = I live in Bangalore

The rule is simple:
Names ending in 'aa' will have an 'aay' as suffix (pronounced like the letter 'I')
Names ending in 'ee' will have 'tey' as suffix (soft 'tey' as in rishtey/naatey)
Names ending in 'uh' (as in Bangalore/Nagpur/Gangtok) will have 'ey' as suffix (same 'ey' as in risht-ey/naat-ey)

So where do you live? smile1.gif

Ayyo I remember Guru song wink2.gif thaaki o thaaki o thaaki thaaki re ..(Bappida mewjick biggrin.gif)

N biggrin.gif
gkshyam
Oh WOWWW!!!! My first Bangla Grammar lessons!!! Thanks so much Mandrake!!! Good going.....thumbs-up.gif Bheeshon Bhaalo...wink2.gif

Btw.....Aami Mumbaitey Thaaki smile1.gifsmile1.gifsmile1.gif

Tumi Pan Mumbaitey Thaaki na?? (I know first two words are Marathi......couldn't get that sentence in a better manner...wink2.gif tongue.gif) But this is how I plan to learn.....by trying out.....(the permutation-combination technique;)) So....keep correcting me.....and start giving more regular lessons...(as today) smile1.gif thumbs-up.gif

And Nimmi.....going by your post on Guru's song.....and Mandrake's translation.......it should mean...."Live..O..Live.....O Live Live..(Re)"??? unsure.gif wink2.gif (Or was it something to do with the philosophical context of 'Live and Let Live' ???? wink2.gif
humble_rafi
Does any1 know what is the SCRIPT(lipi) of BENGLA language?

i have asked many educated ppl they were confused. sad1.gif
link would be appreciated.
Mandrake
QUOTE(humble_rafi @ Jun 27 2005, 12:30 PM)
Does any1 know what is the SCRIPT(lipi) of BENGLA language?

i have asked many educated ppl they were confused. sad1.gif
link would be appreciated.

HR ji, Bangla uses the Bramhi script. This is very common in the eastern states. Bramhi (pronounced 'braamhi') comes from Bramha, the god. In the same region is the Mighty river Bramhaputra.
It might interest you to know (or you may already know it), that Burma was formerly Bramhadesh.
The eastern part of India was Bramha's territory. That's why the rare (I guess one and only) Bramha temple in Pushkar, Rajasthan evokes so much surprise.
Mandrake
QUOTE(gkshyam @ Jun 27 2005, 12:15 PM)

Btw.....Aami Mumbaitey Thaaki smile1.gifsmile1.gifsmile1.gif

Tumi Pan Mumbaitey Thaaki na??

GKS, you'll be surprised smile1.gif you are almost right.
Tumi = you (so you were correct here)
For also, the word is 'o'.
Tumi o thaako.

Aami mumbaitey thaaki.
Tumi mumbaitey thaako
Shey mumbaitey thaakey (shey rhymes with they - shey is he/she)

Aamraa thaaken (we) (...ken rhymes with 'men')
Tomraa thaaken (you plural)
shey thaaken (they)
gkshyam
Oh wow!!!! This seems to be a very interesting language.....I'm enjoying every moment of my learning experience.... smile1.gif

So....Mandrake Bondhu, Tumi O Mumbaitey Thaako?
Humble_Rafi Delhitey Thaaki.... laugh.gif

Delhi Bhaalo Shahar.....Mumbai Bheeshon Bhaalo Shahar??? wink2.gif

(My experiments with Truth....er.....the Permutation-Combination technique continues..... laugh.gif wink2.gif)

Mandrake
Good going GKS thumbs-up.gif
But HR is he=shey
so HR thaaki nahi, thaake smile1.gif
gkshyam
Oh yes.....Sorry....I forgot that 'shey' rule.... tongue.gif ...... HF Delhitey Thakey.. wink2.gif

Btw......was that sentence on the 'bhaalo shahar right in any way??? smile.gif
Mandrake
QUOTE(gkshyam @ Jun 28 2005, 10:54 PM)
Oh yes.....Sorry....I forgot that 'shey' rule.... tongue.gif ...... HF Delhitey Thakey.. wink2.gif

Btw......was that sentence on the 'bhaalo shahar right in any way??? smile.gif

Yes, the 'bhaalo shahar' was fine smile1.gif
That also brings to mind the brevity of bangla grammer.
It is a good city - english
woh achchha shahar hai - hindi
tey changley shahar aahe - marathi
shey bhaalo shahar - bangla

see how they do away with 'is'. Often, bangla sentences sound clipped, because of this economy of words. However, one is always free to use the longer sentence.

Aamar baadi bodo aachhe (My house big is)
Tomaar baadi? Bodo, ki chhoto?
gkshyam
Aamar baadi Chhoto aache.... Chhoto O Shundor!!!! smile.gif smile1.gif wink2.gif
Mandrake
QUOTE(gkshyam @ Jun 29 2005, 03:15 PM)
Aamar baadi Chhoto aache.... Chhoto O Shundor!!!! smile.gif smile1.gif wink2.gif

Time to move ahead thumbs-up.gif

o = also
aar = and

perhaps u meant chhoto aar shundor? smile1.gif

bangla bhaasha bodo mishti, bodo shundor.
Porontu 'practice' chaaee. (needed)
gkshyam
Yes......What I wanted to mean was 'Small, but beautiful too.....'......or 'small & beautiful'....And with the existing list of words I had learnt from you....the 'closest' I could get was 'Small, ALSO Beautiful' (Chhoto O Shundor) wink2.gif Hehehehe.....But I knew you would very well understand my problem on reading it.... hehehe wink2.gif Didn't know the word for "AND"......and Mishti means Sweet, I guess?

Khoob Practice Chaaee.... smile1.gif
Mandrake
You are getting better, and how thumbs-up.gif
mishti = sweet , that's right.

Remember a simple pronunciation rule:
when 2 'o' come in a word (bodo), the first o is pronounced as in 'clock', and the second as in 'cloak'.
Come to think of it, all o's that are second vowels go the way of 'cloak'.
Shundor, bheeshon...
getting it? smile1.gif

(Hey some real Bongo bondhus pls take over from here wink2.gif)

GKS - how will u pronounce 'bongo' and 'bondhu' now?
gkshyam
Wow!!!! Great going!!! Today seems to be my marathon day in leanring Bangla....Maximum learning today!!! Thanks...and keep it coming.... smile1.gif bow.gif

I guess in Bongo...the first 'O' will go the way of clock and the second (the one after G...wink2.gif) will go the way of cloak.....Hence...Pronunciation very similar to 'Bodo'..... Will be Bongo...(the way we pronounce the percussion instrument of the same name... wink2.gif)

Bondhu...well.....has only one 'O'...which also happens to be the first vowel.....hence......will go the 'clock' way... smile1.gif .......

Aami barobar aache??? smile.gif
gkshyam
Eehh Bondhu??? Kee Korche??? Bangla Forum Khoob Chupp Aache....??? tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.