Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rajesh Roshan: The Genius Composer
Hamara Forums > Legends > Legendary Music Directors > Rajesh Roshan
princeali
Rajesh Roshan - The Genius Composer

Click to view attachment

Friends,

I am starting this thread to upload and discuss the work and music of the very talented genius composer Rajesh Roshan.

Rajesh Roshan, the son of the legendary composer Roshan, inherited his father's musical genes. He learnt music from Faiyaz Ahmed Khan Saab and assisted the legendary Laxmikant Pyarelal for five years before he ventured out on his own. Laxmikant termed him 'The Last of the Originals'.

In my view, Rajesh Roshan was a trend-setter, he established a musical grammar that was followed by many future music directors. When he arrived on the scene, his style of music and orchestration was totally new, and he was the last composer before AR Rahman to bring something new to HFM. He had this effortless ease to his arrangements, and you could identify RR's music by his trademark style and stamp. He is one of the best MD's when it came to the fusion of the east and west and was also strong in classical music.

Among all the debutantes of the 70's, I feel Rajesh Roshan had the most freshness in his music, and was the most talented. He demonstrated consistency over a period of time, however like all music directors, had his low periods as well, but has managed to survive for over three decades. He has classic albums in all decades, be it the 70's, 80's, 90's and the current decade. I would rank Rajesh Roshan among the all time great composers, based on the excellent work he has to his credit, he is very creative, innovative and talented. He is very under-rated, and this is surprising since he is such an excellent composer. I would say he carried forward his father's legacy in a fine way.
princeali
Song:

Kya Mausam Hai
Film: Doosra Aadmi
Year: 1977
Singers: Kishore Kumar, Lata Mangeshkar & Mohd. Rafi
Lyrics: Majrooh Sultanpuri

Rajesh Roshan made excellent use of Lata, Kishore, Rafi and Asha. He created beautiful songs for these four singers which explored and challenged their vocals. The composer also created a few gems for Mukesh as well, besides creating great songs for many other singers.

This song from Doosra Aadmi is a triad featuring Kishore, Lata and Rafi. This is in my view, the best triad ever made in the Hindi Film Industry.

Kishore and Lata's rendition at the beginning has an earthy quality about it, and they impart just the right touch to every note. The way the instruments have been used is brilliant. The santoor leaves an impression on the listener right from the beginning of the song to the end and has been brilliantly coordinated throughout the song. RR had his own excellent way of using different instruments and could handle them with as much finesse as any top music director. One can always count on RR to give amazing arrangements, showcasing variety and different instruments. His arrangements are never straight forward and always have that element of surprise.

Kishore and Lata are excellent in their rendering and emotions before the grand entrance of Rafi. Then, when Rafi enters, he comes in riding with a storm, takes it to a higher level and then brings it back down himself. It is like a meteor dazzling across the galaxy, and he mesmerize us with his rendition and changes the whole song all-together. He also imparts just the right touch to each note, an excellent rendition. This is followed by Lata rendering a few lines with a touching violin backdrop. The violins then pick up again with the rhythm and Kishore and Lata proceed to end the song in a great way. The mood changes are beautiful to listen to all throughout the song.

Another fascinating aspect is how the rhythm changes tempo throughout the song and is in accordance with the mood. The fast percussion was excellent and the build-up music from the time Kishore ends with "Are mil jaaye behel jaaye" is once again very good. The rhythm, instruments, how the violins build up to a crescendo for Rafi's grand entry was crafted skillfully by RR.

The melody is just awesome, giving one a very relaxing feel as well as the element of goosebumps. The picturisation was also done great, Rishi, Rakhee and Shashi did very well.
princeali
Song:

Aina Mujhse Meri Pehli Si Surat Mangi
Singer: Talat Aziz
Film: Daddy
Year: 1991
Lyrics: Suraj Sanim

Here is a 90's gem, a very nice ghazal composition. This whole soundtrack in fact was an ace up the sleeve for RR, an all-ghazal album, showing his versatility as a composer. Rarely these days do music directors get such themes to compose for. RR entrusted all the songs of this film to Talat Aziz and it proved a great decision. The song in discussion is probably the most popular song from this album.

The introduction music is great with the violins, bell and flute setting up a nice atmosphere befor Talat enters. A nice crisp tabla has been used throughout the song with the trademark RR violins. Rajesh Roshan's violin orchestra is in a class of its own, so rich in quality, and he's always used it in the most unorthodox ways which makes it even better. He can easily conduct a western symphony with the way he handles his violins, a master composer at work. Moreover his violin use is so unique that it differs from other composers.

In this song, after the second interlude, when Talat sings the lines "Mera fan phir mujhe bazaar mein le aaya hai" there are tiny violin touches that are fantastic. Talat Aziz is excellent in this song, his rendition has depth and feeling. The lyrics by Suraj Sanim are also good. The tune is wonderful, and so is the interlude music, in the first stanza with the flute and violins, then the saxophone and sitar in the second interlude combined with the violins was nice. The flute in the last interlude gives a different expression to the song.

This gem ranks among the best songs of Talat Aziz.
deewani
Great thread princeali. He's one of the MDs that made some of the best songs of the 90s IMHO. In the 90s, it was that name on a soundtrack along with few others that usually coaxed me into trying the "new" stuff back then. An MD equally good at creating lovely hummable melodies as well as dance hits.
Erum Hashmi
QUOTE(princeali @ Jan 15 2008, 10:28 AM) *
Song:

Aina Mujhse Meri Pehli Si Surat Mangi
Singer: Talat Aziz
Film: Daddy
Lyrics: Suraj Sanim

Here is a 90's gem, a very nice ghazal composition. This whole soundtrack in fact was an ace up the sleeve for RR, an all-ghazal album, showing his versatility as a composer. Rarely these days do music directors get such themes to compose for. RR entrusted all the songs of this film to Talat Aziz and it proved a great decision. The song in discussion is probably the most popular song from this album.

The introduction music is great with the violins, bell and flute setting up a nice atmosphere befor Talat enters. A nice crisp tabla has been used throughout the song with the trademark RR violins. Rajesh Roshan's violin orchestra is in a class of its own, so rich in quality, and he's always used it in the most unorthodox ways which makes it even better. He can easily conduct a western symphony with the way he handles his violins, a master composer at work. Moreover his violin use is so unique that it differs from other composers.

In this song, after the second interlude, when Talat sings the lines "Mera fan phir mujhe bazaar mein le aaya hai" there are tiny violin touches that are fantastic. Talat Aziz is excellent in this song, his rendition has depth and feeling. The lyrics by Suraj Sanim are also good. The tune is wonderful, and so is the interlude music, in the first stanza with the flute and violins, then the saxophone and sitar in the second interlude combined with the violins was nice. The flute in the last interlude gives a different expression to the song.

This gem ranks among the best songs of Talat Aziz.

YEAR=1991

FILM=DADDY

SONG=AAINA MUJHSE MERE HONE KI

LYRICIST=SURAJ SANIM

MUSIC=RAJESH ROSHAN

SINGER=TALAT AZIZ

RATE=128KBPS

TIME=06.22

FORMAT=MP3

Click to view attachment

princeali
Thanks Deewani, I agree, he was one of the best MD's of the 90's, stood out among the crowd.

Thanks Erum as well for uploading the 'Daddy' song.
deewani
I was going through my library and I realized he actually sang a song in Anubhav, I wonder if he did that in any other soundtracks. He also has quite a few Punjabi flavored numbers in his filmography. I also noticed that quite a few of his songs have dialogue incorporated into them, making them truly musicals and part of the story line.

Here's two from Swarag Narak 1978 MD Rajesh Roshan 160 kbps cd

Aag Lagi Hui (5:59) - Rafi
Click to view attachment
Nahin Nahin Koi Tumsa Haseen (5:49) - Asha & Kishore
Click to view attachment

oye_sonu
QUOTE(deewani @ Jan 18 2008, 12:43 PM) *

I was going through my library and I realized he actually sang a song in Anubhav, I wonder if he did that in any other soundtracks. He also has quite a few Punjabi flavored numbers in his filmography. I also noticed that quite a few of his songs have dialogue incorporated into them, making them truly musicals and part of the story line.

Here's two from Swarag Narak 1978 MD Rajesh Roshan 160 kbps cd

Aag Lagi Hui (5:59) - Rafi
Click to view attachment
Nahin Nahin Koi Tumsa Haseen (5:49) - Asha & Kishore
Click to view attachment

Ali bhai thanks for starting this thread and posting something on Rajesh roshan. few composers really need few more posts and attentions. I feel RR is one of them !

Iam told the so called dip in his career came due to some personal problems ( not right to be dicssued in forums? ). If he didnt had these problems he must ahchieved great milestones.

One more good aspect of RR was his good use of both Rafi and Kishore's voices. Infact why Rafi and kishore........he has used almost all singers in good prportion. Anwar to Amit kumar to Mohd aziz to Kumar sanu !

Deewani thanks for the above songs. and your views on RR's 90's music.

RR is very talented MD. but I feel one need to " extract" the best from him.
"bahar aane tak" had some really good music from RR. " ek pal hasna jo chaha" By Anwar was almost like a 60s song of a Rafi !. I love this song. and then the duet by Anuradha - Suresh was good as well.

I recall Jugal hansraj movie (???) also had one nice song by udit.........totally different from then of tht era " ghar se nikalte hi" and one one more very nice one on mayuri kang " pehle pyar ka pehla gam"
And then "mujse naraz ho"........again a reminder tune of 60s !

Regards

Sonu

princeali
Thanks Sonu-ji, RR is indeed under-rated and a classic composer. I wonder why the media sometime tends to forget him, when he was a trendsetter, brought something very unique and fresh to HFM, and revolutionized the music scene.

Song: Thoda Hai Thode Ki Zaroorat Hai
Singers: Lata Mangeshkar & Kishore Kumar
Film: Khatta Meetha
Lyrics: Gulzar

Another outstanding duet composed by RR, the melody is excellent and so are the arrangement. RR songs usually have this flow quality about them, everything seems to gel so nicely into place, whether its the singing, music, lyrics etc. Kishore and Lata are at their best here, and sing this song beautifully. One thing about RR, is that he opened up the voices of all his singers, and fully exploited their range and skills. Gulzar's lyrics are nice and philosphical, adding to the charm of this compositon. Gulzar and RR worked in two films together, 'Khatta Meetha' and 'Swayamvar', and on both occasions they hit the right notes.

The rhythm has a combination of the tabla and madal, combined with the violins, flute, saxophone. The use of the guitar is great and effective throughout the song.
princeali
Song: Tumse Nahin Pehchan
Singer: Mohd. Rafi
Film: Ek Hi Raasta
Lyrics: Varma Malik

Rafi had a special way of singing RR songs, just as he had a special way of singing for every composer. This is a beauty of a song, describing the relationship between two people (in this case, between a man and a child he meets in the film). RR incorporates the sound of a moving train and gives the atmosphere of being out in the open. The tune is fabulous, and Rafi's singing is excellent. Great use of the trademark RR violins, as well as the santoor and flute. The percussion is great with variations, mostly on the dholak with a side rhythm backup.

Here is RR rehearsing with Rafi-saab. Pic courtesy mohdrafi.com:

Click to view attachment
princeali
Song: Jab Jab Jo Jo Hona Hai
Singer: Kishore Kumar
Fim: Vishwanath
Year: 1978
Lyrics: Vitthalbhai Patel

This is a great song sung by Kishore. There are three versions, the other two are by Lata. This version has only one stanza but its still a gem. It's one of those short but sweet songs like "Chand Mera Dil" or Rafi's sad version of "Tum Bin Jaun Kahan". The arrangements are just top class, with the piano, violins, flute, guitar all making their presence felt. Kishore's rendition is excellent. Listen to the music, and you'll see a super talented, classy, master composer at work.
princeali
This next song is one of Lata's best latter-day gems. A beautiful song, Lata singing is excellent and RR's music is top class. Great use of the santoor, sitar, shehnai, flute, and violins. The rhythm is fantastic, it shifts throughout the song, and the tabla has been used to awesome effect. RR was always nice in melody and this song is no exception, it has a beautiful tune. A very haunting and touching song.

Here is a vinyl rip of this gem courtesy a friend:

Dheere Dheere Sun More Sajna
Singer: Lata Mangeshkar
Lyrics: Verma Malik

Click to view attachment

princeali
Another beautiful Lata gem, it has a nice sentimental tune and soothing orchestration which was a trademark of RR's music. Lata takes this song to great heights. In an interview, RR said that this was an under-rated song, and that it had the melodic touch of his father, the legendary Roshan.

Ae Mast Hawa Yeh To Batla
Film: Tumhari Kasam
Lyrics: Anand Bakshi

Click to view attachment
princeali
Here is the first song Amitabh Bachchan sang in his career. It is a nice soothing children's song composed by RR.

Mere Paas Aao
Singer: Amitabh Bachchan
Film: Mr. Natwarlal
Year: 1979

Click to view attachment

princeali
Here is a nice song by Preeti Sagar who shot to fame with the excellent [b[My Heart Is Beating[/b] from Julie.

Mera Naam Raja
Singer: Preeti Sagar
Film: Tumhari Kasam

Click to view attachment
mohamedparvez
QUOTE(princeali @ Apr 8 2008, 08:25 AM) *

Song: Tumse Nahin Pehchan
Singer: Mohd. Rafi
Lyrics: Varma Malik

Rafi had a special way of singing RR songs, just as he had a special way of singing for every composer. This is a beauty of a song, describing the relationship between two people (in this case, between a man and a child he meets in the film). RR incorporates the sound of a moving train and gives the atmosphere of being out in the open. The tune is fabulous, and Rafi's singing is excellent. Great use of the trademark RR violins, as well as the santoor and flute. The percussion is great with variations, mostly on the dholak with a side rhythm backup.

Here is RR rehearsing with Rafi-saab. Pic courtesy mohdrafi.com:

Click to view attachment

here is the song enjoy

film:ek hi raasta track:tum se nahin pehchaan meri lyrics:varma malik music:rajesh roshan singer:rafisaab bitrate:96kbps duration:3.37
Erum Hashmi
Thanks, Prince for MERAA NAAM RAJA!
princeali
Anytime Erum-ji ! smile.gif

Here is a nice solo by Lata, a great melody, and good use of the tabla, as well as the piano in the background.

Tum Jab Bhi Yaad
Film: Inteha
Year: 1984
Lyrics: Indeevar

Click to view attachment
taiyab53
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=209
955]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
QUOTE(princeali @ May 22 2008, 02:11 AM) *

Anytime Erum-ji ! smile.gif

Here is a nice solo by Lata, a great melody, and good use of the tabla, as well as the piano in the background.

Tum Jab Bhi Yaad
Film: Inteha
Year: 1984
Lyrics: Indeevar

Click to view attachment

Dear Music lovers i am adding some songs composed by Rajesh Roshan ji GOOD QWALITY
the film is
ALBUM---------------------------AAKHIR KYUN
YEAR----------------------------- 85
LYRICIST------------------------ INDEEVAR

Now the details of songs
1)DUSHMAN NA KARE DOST NE WOH KAAM----LATAJI--DURATION ------------------5.59 mins-- B/R 128
2)EK ANDHERA LAAKH SAHARE------------------MOHD AZIZ---DUR- ------------------5.16 mins--B/R- 128
3)KOMAL HAI KAMZOR NAHIN--------------------ASHA JI-------DUR- ------------------5.15 mins--B/R-128
4)SAAT RANG MAIN KHEL RAHI HAI-------------ANURADHA-AMIT- MOHD AZIZ-DUR-4.30 mins-B/R 128
5)SHAAM HUYI CHHAD AAYI RE -----------------LATA JI---------------------------DUR-2.26 mins-B/R 160
princeali
One of the songs that I previously mentioned in this thread was "Thoda Hai Thode Ki" from Khatta Meetha. Here is this beautiful song with extra additional parts, this version is 7:21 long. Enjoy !.

Thoda Hai Thode Ki
Film: Khatta Meetha
Lyrics: Gulzar

Click to view attachment

princeali
Here is a beautiful Lata-Kishore duet, the music is excellent and so are the renditions. The rhythm is a treat as well, typical RR beats, with great orchestration.

Dilruba Aa Meri Bahon
Singers(s): Lata Mangeshkar & Kishore Kumar
Film: Yehi Hai Zindagi

Click to view attachment

princeali
Another nice duet with the typical RR elements, the trendy rhythm, flute, violins, and excellent orchestration and singing, make this song a winner.

Mohabbat Hui Mere Saiyan
Singer(s): Usha Mangeshkar & Mohd. Rafi
Film: Shakka
Year: 1981
Lyrics: Verma Malik

Click to view attachment
princeali
RR produced arguably the best Rafi-Kishore duets. Here is one of them, a very nice song with fantastic music and great singing by the two legends.

Tumko Khush Dekh Kar
Singer(s): Kishore Kumar & Mohd. Rafi
Film: Aap Ke Deewane
Year: 1980

Click to view attachment
princeali
Another excellent song, sung again by the two legendary male playback singers, with cool music and a nice tune.

Tera Jalwa Tauba Hai
Singer(s): Kishore Kumar & Mohd. Rafi
Film: Aap Ke Deewane

Click to view attachment
princeali
Rafi's last song for Dev Anand, a nice melody, Tina Munim sings with Rafi-saab.

Logon Ka Dil
Singer(s) Mohd. Rafi & Tina Munim
Film: Man Pasand
Lyrics: Amit Khanna

Click to view attachment
DIGANTA ADHYA
GREAT GREAT GREAT THREAD PrincealI BHAI.
princeali
Thank You Diganta-ji !.

Here is a nice Lata-Amit duet from the 80's !.

Dushman Na Kare
Singers: Lata Mangeshkar & Amit Kumar
Film: Aakhir Kyon
Year: 1985

Click to view attachment
DIGANTA ADHYA
QUOTE(princeali @ Sep 19 2008, 06:28 AM) *

Thank You Diganta-ji !.

Here is a nice Lata-Amit duet from the 80's !.

Dushman Na Kare
Singers: Lata Mangeshkar & Amit Kumar
Film: Aakhir Kyon
Year: 1985

Click to view attachment

Great Song.
princeali
Here is a nice duet from RR, with cool orchestration !.

O Dil Jaani Bol Meri Raani (Courtesy Sangeet-ji)
Singers: Anuradha Paudwal & Kishore Kumar
Film: Udhar Ki Sindur
Year: 1976

Click to view attachment
princeali
One of Kumar Sanu's best songs !.

Jab Koi Baat Bigad Jaaye
Singers: Kumar Sanu & Sadhana Sargam
Film: Jurm

Click to view attachment
princeali
A nice RR song !.

Tujhko Hi To
Singers: Asha Bhosle & Kishore Kumar
Film: Waqt Waqt Ki Baat
Year: 1982

Click to view attachment
DIGANTA ADHYA
QUOTE(princeali @ Oct 9 2008, 07:52 AM) *

A nice RR song !.

Tujhko Hi To

Click to view attachment

Thanks A Lot Prince Bhai For This Nice Duet In Good Quality.
clap2.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif
If You Have The Solo Song From Same Film - Ek Dil Sau Dushman Phir Jiye (KISHORE) In Such Good Quality Please Upload Here.
I Am Thankfull To You.
Ez_buddycool
QUOTE(princeali @ Oct 9 2008, 07:52 AM) *

A nice RR song !.

Tujhko Hi To

Click to view attachment

Nice Uploads Prince Bhai & Bro if u have Bin Saathi Ke from Ek hi Raastha in Cdq then plz upload smile.gif
suhana_safar
Ali Bhai

Can u upload 2 songs of Charandas

1. Kya soch ke - Rafisaab and Asha

2. Dekhlo ishqa ka - Yesuads and aziz nazan

cheers
ss
princeali
Sorry Diganta bro, I had "Ek dil sau dushman...." in distorted quality, will try and get a better rip for you.

EzB bro, I have "Bin saathi ke..." in vinyl quality, will upload for you soon.

SS-bhai, Neeraj has uploaded the songs of Charandas here:

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?showtopic=65531

--------------------------

Here are two nice songs by RR !.

Sa Re Ga Ma Pa
Film: Man Pasand

Click to view attachment

Ka Karoon Sajni
Singer: K.J. Yesudas
Film: Swami

Click to view attachment
princeali
Here is a relatively recent track (from the 90's).

Deewane Do Dil Mile
Singers: Alka Yagnik & Udit Narayan
Film: Kudrat
Year: 1998

Click to view attachment
princeali
Another one from Kudrat !.

Tujhe Dene Ko Mere Paas
Singers: Kavita K & Abhijeet
Film: Kudrat
Year: 1998

Click to view attachment
DIGANTA ADHYA
QUOTE(princeali @ Nov 18 2008, 12:24 AM) *

Sorry Diganta bro, I had "Ek dil sau dushman...." in distorted quality, will try and get a better rip for you.

EzB bro, I have "Bin saathi ke..." in vinyl quality, will upload for you soon.

Click to view attachment

Thanks Prince Bhai.Me Also Looking For "Bin Sathi Ke" In Good Quality.
rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif smile.gif
vizzmargh
A good song from Janta Hawaldar
Teri Aankhon ki Chahat Mein
Singer : Anwar
128 kbps / 6.06min
HumTum
QUOTE(vizzmargh @ Nov 20 2008, 03:16 PM) *
A good song from Janta Hawaldar
Teri Aankhon ki Chahat Mein
Singer : Anwar
128 kbps / 6.06min

Another lovely number by Anwar sahab. Thanks for uploading this Vizzmargh.. It refreshed my memory of this great solo. Thank you dost! wub.gif
rayees
Hello Princeali, thanks for the this wonderful thread. Do you have the songs from movie CHIRAG (RISHI KAPOOR & MOHINI) Music by Rajesh roshan .Also songs from movie SHIVRAAM (JITENDRA, CHUNKEY PANDEY ETC). please
Krishna_Lall85
Here is a great song from Bahar Aane Tak:

Song Name: Dil Ke Qarib Koi
Movie Name: Bahar Aane Tak
Year: 1990
Singer: Talat Aziz & Anuradha Paudwal
Music Director: Rajesh Roshan
Duration: 6:41min
Bit Rate: 128kbps
Size: 6.13 MB
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.