Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vijay Singh is world no.1
Hamara Forums > General > Sports
Anil4
"Extracted from Fijilive"

Fiji golfer Vijay Singh has dethroned Tiger Woods as the number one golfer in the world.

Singh outplayed Woods in the final round of the Deutsche Bank Championship to win with a 16 under 268, three strokes ahead of Woods.

The win marks Singh's sixth PGA victory of the year and increases his earnings for this year to over US$7 million.

Singh's hold on the money list has been strengthened with an increased US$2 million lead over second place Phil Mickelson.

Singh's earnings this season is the second highest in the history of the PGA, Woods earned US$9 million in the 2000 season with nine tournament wins.

The latest world ranking have Singh at first place with 12.72 points average, Woods in second with 12.27 points and Ernie Els is in third with 10.99 points.

Singh will be the first player other than Woods to hold the number one ranking since August 8 1999.

Singh and Woods were tied at 13 under after Singh bogeyed the 13th hole, but Woods bogeyed the next one and Singh birdied No. 15 to pull ahead by two strokes.

Singh added birdies on the final two holes at the par-71, 7,415 Tournament Players Club of Boston to finish 16 under, three ahead of Woods and defending champion Adam Scott.

"It was a golf tournament to me. It wasn't about the ranking," Singh told PGA Tour.com.

"It wasn't about going out there and trying to beat Tiger and beat the No. 1 player. I was out there trying to win the golf tournament and that was my goal starting out today.

"You know, Adam Scott nearly jumped up and took it away," he added, "but I was very focused."

Singh started the final round with a three-stroke lead and made it four when he dropped to 15 under with a birdie on the first hole. But the lead withered over the front nine and disappeared when Woods chipped in for birdie on 12 and Singh went over the green with an 8-iron on 13, then missed a 7-footer to save par. That left them tied at 13 under, with Scott one stroke back.

On 14, a 485-yard par-4, Woods and Singh were 6 inches apart on the green, about 9 feet from the pin. Singh sank his putt to save par, but Wood pushed his to the left for a bogey. On the par-5 15th their drives landed 6 yards apart on the fairway but Singh put his approach within 4 feet and Woods was 17 feet from the flag; Singh picked up another birdie to drop to minus 14 and Woods two-putted for par, leaving him two strokes back.

After making another birdie on 17 to expand his lead to three strokes, Singh smiled and seemed to relax. He acknowledged the cheers of the crowd for the first time all day.
YaarMere
Abt time too!!!

There is no denying wot Wood's has achieved in the sport is just remakable but personally I believe most of that was through lack of credible opposition.

Seriously, any of u think that Wood's is even a patch on Seve Ballesteros? I so dont think so!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.