Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Rafi Voice Do You Like The Most, Md-wise?
Hamara Forums > Legends > Mohd Rafi
venkat
Friends,

The gift of multiple voices is one of the things that makes Rafi Saab the best playback singer of all times. What is even more amazing is that his many voices can be categorised by multiple parameters. Some of these parameters are:

1. Over time

2. From hero to hero

3. From MD to MD

4. From mood to mood

5. From scale to scale

Just recently, we have conducted a poll on the Best Rafi Voice over time (ie. During which period)

Today, we have picked the parameter no.3 above, namely his many voices for different MDs.

Please poll and tell which MD had set the best Rafi Voice. Other comments are also welcome.

Some may wonder what is this Voice set by MDs. But, friends, if you scan in your mind a good number of Rafi songs of each MD, you can discern a certain voice pattern for each MD!

Venkat
myawan
Definitely Naushad sahab, even in late 70s he made Rafi sound like a young boy.
nasir
In case of MD, I would opt for a tie between Laxmi-Pyaare and S-J, as far as Rafi Sahaab's songs are concerned, with Ravi coming to a third position. In case of fidelity, I would rate LP the highest and O.P. the lowest, with benefit of doubt to Ravi since it were the producers who tried to keep Rafi Sahaab back.
Song-wise, my ratings are: LP (Chaahoonga Mai.n Tujhe Saanjh Savere...), SJ: (Yeh Mera Prem Patra Pa.dhkar), Naushad (O Duniya Ke Rakhwaale).

NASIR.
maheshks
SJ, OP and Ravi biggrin.gif
suhana_safar
Husnlal Bhagatram, OPN, SDB, SJ, LP, Sonik Omi, Ravindra Jain, Ushan Khanna, Ravi, Hansraj Behl, Naushad, Madan Mohan and the list goes on.....
myawan
Good pick SS for the first slot.....'Husnlal Bhagatram', his work with Rafi saab is usually underrated but he and Rafi sahab together produced some great great gems and sweetest melodies.
venkat
Friends,

I wish to say a few words that are strictly not confined to this topic.

Some times, I start thinking whether I am too biased in favour of Rafi Saab. I get this feeling after I wage determined battles in some threads, like, for example, the debate I was engaged with Sri in that Rifts thread.I feel guilty whether I have been stubborn and insensitive to some other opinions.

But, immediately afterwards, I tell myself that my viewpoint about Rafi Saab is indeed the objective truth. I cite to myself examples of so many kinds of analysis and discussions that are possible on various facets of Rafi Saab's singing. I tell myself that such involved discussions to understand one singer are not possible even in Lata Ji's case, leave aside others.

I have told Sri in the Rifts thread as follows:

Finally, as both Mohanflora and Behenji have said in their posts, both Lata and Asha knew that their best singing was not in the league of Rafi Saab's. And what they thought and knew was 100% true! Now, how do I say this?

Over the last 40+ years, I have heard keenly and thoroughly most old songs of HFM. Of all singers, not only of Rafi Saab's. I am sure that I know more Lata and Asha songs than most people do! Forgive my apparent immodesty, but I know I do. I have a good ear for music and can predict which old song is going to come just by listening to the opening instrumental music.

The ecstacy mode that I get into when I hear the best Rafi songs, I do not get when I hear the best of Lata. Now, you may say who I am to say this. Fair enough, do not take my word, as I am only an ordinary listener. But take the words of SPB, Jesudas, Manna Dey, Ravi, P.B.Srinivas, S.Janaki, Sonu Nigam. Look at the great passion and awe with which they speak about Rafi Saab and not about anyone else.

SPB has told many times on TV ,"Naaku Ghantasala, Lata Mangeshkar, veellandaru Ishtame, Kaani Rafi garu naaku prasadinchina Aanandam evvru ivva ledandi!" It means, "I like Ghantasala, Lata and many others, but the ultimate ecstasy that Rafi garu had bestowed on me was not done by any other!" Manna Dey says with hearty admiration and without any qualm, "Ham Sab Bhi Gaate Thhe. Lekin Rafi Saab Ke Nazdeek Nahi Aa Sakte Thhe"!

UNQUOTE

And when I was reflecting about this a few hours back, I was convinced that I am not wrong, after all!

Venkat
YaarMere
Ive not read the above post fully but I know that you're in the right, Venkat. And dont worry abt Sri too much that guy is all abt embracing diversity and opinion.
princeali
Venkat ji,

You are spot on, Rafi saab was a multi-dimensional singer, its not fair to compare any singer with him. Comparisons will always be made among singers, but people will get into serious difficulty when they compare anyone with Rafi.

As SS bhai said, the MD list is too long, there are a lot of MD's that did wonders with Rafi saab.

I think with Dekhi Zamane Ki Yaari, Rafi & SDB defined what playback singing is all about. This is Rafi saab with minimal orchestration, and look at his voice, very haunting, gives you those goosebump feelings up your spine.
HumTum
Unfair we have to limit our choice to only one MD. biggrin.gif
venkat
QUOTE(HumTum @ Jun 8 2007, 10:16 PM) *

Unfair we have to limit our choice to only one MD. biggrin.gif

I agree with you, HT Bhai!
venkat
QUOTE(princeali @ Jun 8 2007, 09:43 PM) *

Venkat ji,

You are spot on, Rafi saab was a multi-dimensional singer, its not fair to compare any singer with him. Comparisons will always be made among singers, but people will get into serious difficulty when they compare anyone with Rafi.

As SS bhai said, the MD list is too long, there are a lot of MD's that did wonders with Rafi saab.

I think with Dekhi Zamane Ki Yaari, Rafi & SDB defined what playback singing is all about. This is Rafi saab with minimal orchestration, and look at his voice, very haunting, gives you those goosebump feelings up your spine.

Well said as always, Prince Ji.

One needs to hear Rafi Saab with one's heart. One can hear all others with one's ears. Period

Venkat
nasir
QUOTE(venkat @ Jun 8 2007, 05:58 PM) *

Friends,

I wish to say a few words that are strictly not confined to this topic.

Some times, I start thinking whether I am too biased in favour of Rafi Saab. I get this feeling after I wage determined battles in some threads, like, for example, the debate I was engaged with Sri in that Rifts thread.I feel guilty whether I have been stubborn and insensitive to some other opinions.

But, immediately afterwards, I tell myself that my viewpoint about Rafi Saab is indeed the objective truth. I cite to myself examples of so many kinds of analysis and discussions that are possible on various facets of Rafi Saab's singing. I tell myself that such involved discussions to understand one singer are not possible even in Lata Ji's case, leave aside others.

I have told Sri in the Rifts thread as follows:

Finally, as both Mohanflora and Behenji have said in their posts, both Lata and Asha knew that their best singing was not in the league of Rafi Saab's. And what they thought and knew was 100% true! Now, how do I say this?

Over the last 40+ years, I have heard keenly and thoroughly most old songs of HFM. Of all singers, not only of Rafi Saab's. I am sure that I know more Lata and Asha songs than most people do! Forgive my apparent immodesty, but I know I do. I have a good ear for music and can predict which old song is going to come just by listening to the opening instrumental music.

The ecstacy mode that I get into when I hear the best Rafi songs, I do not get when I hear the best of Lata. Now, you may say who I am to say this. Fair enough, do not take my word, as I am only an ordinary listener. But take the words of SPB, Jesudas, Manna Dey, Ravi, P.B.Srinivas, S.Janaki, Sonu Nigam. Look at the great passion and awe with which they speak about Rafi Saab and not about anyone else.

SPB has told many times on TV ,"Naaku Ghantasala, Lata Mangeshkar, veellandaru Ishtame, Kaani Rafi garu naaku prasadinchina Aanandam evvru ivva ledandi!" It means, "I like Ghantasala, Lata and many others, but the ultimate ecstasy that Rafi garu had bestowed on me was not done by any other!" Manna Dey says with hearty admiration and without any qualm, "Ham Sab Bhi Gaate Thhe. Lekin Rafi Saab Ke Nazdeek Nahi Aa Sakte Thhe"!

UNQUOTE

And when I was reflecting about this a few hours back, I was convinced that I am not wrong, after all!

Venkat

smile.gif Of course Venkatji, there is nothing wrong with your inferences and deductions. That's the Voice of Conscience. This also proves that deeper the knowledge man possesses, the better he is able to understand the true worth of another. Manna Dey has a frank admiration for Rafi Sahaab. Even Yesudas admitted that there is "MAGIC" in the voice of Rafi Sahaab. I simply admire your conviction Venkatji.

NASIR.
venkat
Friends,

Another recent topic started by Pratul Ji has posed a similar question.

Please do vote here and express your choice. smile.gif

Venkat
Pratul
QUOTE(venkat @ Sep 10 2008, 05:22 PM) *

Friends,

Another recent topic started by Pratul Ji has posed a similar question.

Please do vote here and express your choice. smile.gif

Venkat

Venkat ji, Thanks for reviving this poll. I did not notice this thread before starting my thread.

Pratul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.