Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rafi-lata Or Rafi-asha?
Hamara Forums > Legends > Mohd Rafi
Pages: 1, 2, 3
venkat
Friends,

I shall be grateful if all of you exercise your vote on this question: Which is a better duet pair? --Rafi-Lata or Rafi-Asha?

Thanks,

Venkat
myawan
Good to see a poll here after a long long time......
Nikita Choudhary
ofc rafi lata for me any day...
kamalamohanty
For me it is always RAFI-LATA

Kamala Mohanty
LEGENDRAFI
When two of the sweetest voices ever, in Hind Film Music combine, a melody is the least one could say because it's much more than that- it's sheer magic! Yes, that's exactly what Rafi Sahab and Lata ji created when they sang together. Two voices which people referred to as the 'Voice of God' gave us so many unforgettable songs to cherish that to even put them down in a list is a temptation too strong, leave alone having the chance to listen them. By the way, here are 10 of my favorites of this combination :

1. AAPNE YAAD DILAYA TO MUJHE
2. AGAR MAIN PUCHOON JAWAB DOGE
3. MASOOM CHEHRA YE QATIL ADAYEIN
4. PAON CHOO LENE DO
5. RESHAM KI DORI
6. TERI BINDIYA RE
7. TUJHE JEEVAN KI DOR SE
8. TUM TO PYAR HO SAJNI
9. CHALO DILDAR CHALO
10. JEET HI LENGE BAAZI HUM TUM

Of course, just pointing 10 songs is not exactly doing justice to the number of great songs these two singers have given us but it's just an effort to illustrate the quality of songs this combination has been a part of.

Well, I also love the Rafi-Asha combination because they are some great songs that they have produced together, but since we have to select one of the two I will have to pick the Rafi-Lata combination as the better of the two.

So, all Asha ji fans, I hope there are no ill feelings!
YaarMere
So who voted 4 Asha? I see 2 votes so far...
myawan
Good selection of the songs Gaurav! definitely melodious!
venkat
Friends,

I request more people to participate in this opinion poll.

My own vote went to Rafi-Asha. Why?

1. Rafi-Asha's serious duets (such as "Dekh Hamhe Aawaz Na Dena" from Amardeep or "Raat Ke Hamsafar" from An Evening inParis) are just as good as Rafi-Lata's serious duets (In fact, 95% of Rafi-Lata duets are indeed serious ones! By serious, I do not mean just "sad", but "sober".)

2. Rafi-Asha's playful, mischievous, lively duets (such as the ones from Dil Deke Dekho---Pyar Ki Kasam Hai Na Dekh Aise Pyaar Se---Do Ekkam Do Do Doone Char----Bade Hai Dil Ki Kaali, or the innumerable ones under OPN or even SDB/Ravi/Iqbal Quereshi) definitely score over the small number of such Rafi-Lata duets.

This is just my humble view.

Venkat
venkat
QUOTE(venkat @ Feb 9 2007, 11:32 AM) *

Friends,

I request more people to participate in this opinion poll.

My own vote went to Rafi-Asha. Why?

1. Rafi-Asha's serious duets (such as "Dekh Hamhe Aawaz Na Dena" from Amardeep or "Raat Ke Hamsafar" from An Evening inParis) are just as good as Rafi-Lata's serious duets (In fact, 95% of Rafi-Lata duets are indeed serious ones! By serious, I do not mean just "sad", but "sober".)

2. Rafi-Asha's playful, mischievous, lively duets (such as the ones from Dil Deke Dekho---Pyar Ki Kasam Hai Na Dekh Aise Pyaar Se---Do Ekkam Do Do Doone Char----Bade Hai Dil Ki Kaali, or the innumerable ones under OPN or even SDB/Ravi/Iqbal Quereshi) definitely score over the small number of such Rafi-Lata duets.

This is just my humble view.

Venkat

May I request some more views and votes, please?
SAJDAH
I haven’t voted yet. I think I need more time.

In the meantime I know what would really help, if those of you who’ve already taken the poll would convince the rest of us who are yet to vote, why exactly you favour Lata or Asha as the case may be.

That I am sure would greatly enliven this poll / debate.

Sajdah
YaarMere
QUOTE(SAJDAH @ Feb 9 2007, 01:30 PM) *

I haven’t voted yet. I think I need more time. ninja.gif

In the meantime I know what would really help, if those of you who’ve already taken the poll would convince the rest of us who are yet to vote, why exactly you favour Lata or Asha as the case may be.
That I am sure would greatly enlivenrolleyes.gif this poll / debate. ninja.gif

Sajdah

Do you really need convincing?
haneef
QUOTE(YaarMere @ Feb 8 2007, 05:47 PM) *

I am one of 'em, who voted for Rafi - Asha.

People might feel thats its my adamant nature of always going against the mainstream, so I voted for them.
In my view, if Rafi Sahab was the best singer 'ever' in my lifetime, the second best is, still Lata Ji.
There is not a single day that I don't listen to Lata Ji's song ... 'Jeevan Dor Tumhi Sang Baandhi'.
But I still think Rafi Sahab and Asha Ji, made a nice singing pair together. He always seemed at ease singing with her, whereas you could feel the tension whenever Rafi Sahab would sing with Lata Ji (Or maybe only I feel it that way becuz' of the quarrel they had regarding the royalty dispute).
Asha Ji's diction in punjabi (or any other lang.) seems so natural. ( I personally feel Rafi Sahab must've taught her a little bit of punjabi ... becuz' it was his mother tongue)
Asha Ji, has sung a lot more of qawallis with Rafi Sahab than Lata Ji, Which shows her "urdu" is flawless.

Furthermore, I am not hesitant to say, that 'huskiness' in a female voice is a (ahem) 'Huge Turn On' for me.
There might not be many guys who might step forward to admit that, a sultry voice is what they 'crave' from their life partners. Asha Ji, has that kind of voice ( I am not referring to the trashy songs she sang for the vamps of Indian screens ). There are a lot of other examples :
Who can forget the super hit songs of this pair in 'Kashmir Ki Kali', 'Ek Musafir Ek Hasina', ' Caravan', 'Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon', the duet of Howrah Bridge 'Dekh Kar Teri Nazar Bekaraar Ho Gaye' picturised on the Most Beautiful Madhubala, The famous Qawalli ' Hai Agar Dushman Zamana Gham Nahin' of Hum Kisise Kum Nahin, 'Churaliya Hai Tumne Jo Dil Ko' in Yadon Ki Baraat, to name a few.
Whereas the only lines I could think of, on hand of Lata Ji that I like in a song with Rafi Sahab were ... ' Jiya Thaamke Takna Tujhe Sadaa Tere Pyaar Se Maine Seekha , Seekha Maine Thandi Thandi Aahen Bharna, Tere Sang Jeena Tere Sang Marna'.

Rafi Sahab and Asha Ji really clicked together, the consequence; their songs were the 'best ever'.

Haneef cool.gif

myawan
Well...venkat's observation must have been logical, I didn't thought that much, I just voted for Rafi-Lata just because of their individual stature........ but ofcourse the poll is about the joint stature smile1.gif So what I mean to say is that mine could well be a hasty decission.
LEGENDRAFI
QUOTE(haneef @ Feb 9 2007, 10:43 PM) *

People might feel thats its my adamant nature of always going against the mainstream, so I voted for them.
In my view, if Rafi Sahab was the best singer 'ever' in my lifetime, the second best is, still Lata Ji.
There is not a single day that I don't listen to Lata Ji's song ... 'Jeevan Dor Tumhi Sang Baandhi'.
But I still think Rafi Sahab and Asha Ji, made a nice singing pair together. He always seemed at ease singing with her, whereas you could feel the tension whenever Rafi Sahab would sing with Lata Ji (Or maybe only I feel it that way becuz' of the quarrel they had regarding the royalty dispute).
Asha Ji's diction in punjabi (or any other lang.) seems so natural. ( I personally feel Rafi Sahab must've taught her a little bit of punjabi ... becuz' it was his mother tongue)
Asha Ji, has sung a lot more of qawallis with Rafi Sahab than Lata Ji, Which shows her "urdu" is flawless.

Furthermore, I am not hesitant to say, that 'huskiness' in a female voice is a (ahem) 'Huge Turn On' for me.
There might not be many guys who might step forward to admit that, a sultry voice is what they 'crave' from their life partners. Asha Ji, has that kind of voice ( I am not referring to the trashy songs she sang for the vamps of Indian screens ). There are a lot of other examples :
Who can forget the super hit songs of this pair in 'Kashmir Ki Kali', 'Ek Musafir Ek Hasina', ' Caravan', 'Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon', the duet of Howrah Bridge 'Dekh Kar Teri Nazar Bekaraar Ho Gaye' picturised on the Most Beautiful Madhubala, The famous Qawalli ' Hai Agar Dushman Zamana Gham Nahin' of Hum Kisise Kum Nahin, 'Churaliya Hai Tumne Jo Dil Ko' in Yadon Ki Baraat, to name a few.
Whereas the only lines I could think of, on hand of Lata Ji that I like in a song with Rafi Sahab were ... ' Jiya Thaamke Takna Tujhe Sadaa Tere Pyaar Se Maine Seekha , Seekha Maine Thandi Thandi Aahen Bharna, Tere Sang Jeena Tere Sang Marna'.

Rafi Sahab and Asha Ji really clicked together, the consequence; their songs were the 'best ever'.

Haneef cool.gif

Haneef, you have expressed your point rather well and I accept the reason for your choice.

Well, what I can make out from the responses here is that our choices are mainly based upon what we look for in a song or for that matter in a voice. If an individual is looking for a certain type of feeling/expression or emotion in the song that he/she is listening to then it is obvious that he/she would pick the singer who he/she feels can deliver that expression or feeling to him, as has been stated by Venkat and Haneef in their posts.

It can also be added (rightly or wrongly - I leave the decision on other members) that the songs we like or the voices we prefer are in some way reflections of some part of our personalities. So, a person who is more open or explicit in showing his/her emotions would perhaps prefer songs which he/she feels to be more in sync with his/her personality.

Personally I prefer the Rafi-Lata combination because of the same reason i.e. their ability to deliver the expression that I am looking for. Specifically speaking I find a certain level of maturity or for that matter understated romance or emotions when I listen to songs sung by the Rafi-Lata combination. Take for example the song from 'SHIKARI' - Agar Main Puchoon Jawab Doge - one can feel a certain amount of understated sincerity, honesty and even 'Gentleness' or decency (well never mind the usage of the words) in the way both the singers express their emotions.

Of course the sweetness in both the singers voices is also something that attracts me and I believe they complement each other really well. Even in the playful songs like 'Dil Tera Diwana Hai Sanam' one can feel a certain type of maturity which I miss in some of the Rafi-Asha songs even though I love them as well.
I also feel that when Rafi-Asha sang together they brought a certain comic feeling to the song which took the song more towards playfulness and the real emotions of sincere and sacrificing love are sometimes lost. The depth in the emotions was more stronger when I heard Rafi Sahab and Lata ji sing together and this is the way I like my music although I am open to the playful songs as well but then we are talking about preferences here and that's what I mean when I say 'my kind of music'.

I am sure some of you will not agree with me but this is my personal take on this debate and I am open to others' views.
haneef
Legend Rafi Sahab,

Well, what I can make out from the responses here is that our choices are mainly based upon what we look for in a song or for that matter in a voice.

'Totally into each other' is what I am refering to when I am talking about duets by this legendary pair.
Rafi Sahab & Asha Ji sang duets of 'every mood'.
A persons life goes through Happy & Sad phases .. One just cannot say 'a serious song' is best for all occasions. With a persons changing moods his 'preferences in songs' also changes.
Here are some of the songs by Rafi-Asha of every phase, that one may encounter in a lifetime.
This shows Asha Ji had a lot more (Various) emotions in her voice.

Mujhe Gale Se Lagaa Lo Bahut Udaas Hoon Main
Mujhe Pyaar Ki Zindagi Dene Waale Kabhi Gham Na Dena
Khud Toh Badnaam Huve Tumko Badnaam Kiya
Zulf Ki Chaaon Mein Chehre Ka Ujaala Lekar
Dhalti Jaaye Raat Kehle Dil Ki Baat
Aeji Pehli Mulaqaat Mein Nahin Pyaar Jataya Karte ( One of my most favorites )
Yoon Hans Hans Kar Na Dekho Idhar
Abhi Na Jaao Chod Kar Ke Dil Abhi Bhara Nahin
Mujhe Mera Pyaar De De Tujhe Aazmaa Liya Hai
Phir Milogay Kabhi Is Baat Ka Vaada Karlo
Gustaaq Nazar Chehre Se Hataa Humko Na Sataa Are Jaa Chala Jaa
Ye Main Kahan Aagayi Raasta Bhool Ke
Ye Haseen Raat Ye Bahaar Ye Sama Aise Mein Huzoor Mujhe Le Chale Kahan ( One more favorite )
Jaane E Jigar Yoon Hi Agar Hota Rahe Ishara Tera
Das Meriya Dilbara Ve Tu Kedi Arsh Da Tara (Punjabi)

I am not gonna argue anymore about this topic, let the voters come forward with their own personal opinions. ( I don't know most of the members of this forum personally , so it doesn't really matter who votes for whom, My choice still remains the same ie., Rafi - Asha )

Haneef cool.gif
Harold
I voted Rafi-Lata. and it took me 1 second to think about it smile.gif

I don't have any scientific explanation or any other explanation for it. This combination is the best "milan"of voices ever in musical history.

The 2 greatest voices HFM ever produced together is sheer magic. Off course the Asha-Rafi-combo is good as well, but so are the Rafi-Suman-combos and so much more. Any Rafi-Female singer combo is good.

But Rafi-Lata is like diamond cutting diamond wink.gif

A few personal favs which come in to my mind (there are so much, 461???):

-Kabhi Raat Din Hum Door Se *** Aamne Saamne
-Phool Hai Bharon Ka *** Jigri Dost
-Main Tujhse Milne *** Heera
-Tumse Dur Rehke *** Adalat
--Mudjhe Chu Rahi *** Swayamvar
-Oh Meri Chorni *** Kaatilon Ke Kaatil
-Bol Mere Saathiya *** Lalkar
-Tere Husn Ki *** Leader
-Baahon Mein Teri *** Kala Patthar

and so many more........
august
i have heard more duets of Rafi Saab with Lata ji than with Asha ji.

but i think he was equally comfortable while singing with both singers.
Rafi saab started singing with Lata ji much before the royalty issue came up.
their duets under Naushad Saab's direction are my most favourite.
there are songs ' kali ghata ghir aayi re'(SJ) 'chalo dildar chalo'(GM), many songs under SDB, Chitrgupt and N Dutta, Husnlal Bhagatram, Vasant Desai, LP...

the reason he appears to be more comfortable with Asha ji , could be related to the kind of songs he sang with her. one example that comes to my mind is ' haay re haay, yeh mere hath mein tera hath (kashmir ki kali -OPN) the song sounds as if it were Rafi and Asha performing the song sequence.
then ' ude jab jab julfen teri', 'achcha ji main haari' , 'diwana hua baadal' , 'o mere sona re' and many more..

i prefer first combo. smile1.gif

Harold
Here is a song describing these 2 giants:

Film: Kohinoor
MD: Naushad
Lyrics: Shakeel Badayuni
Year: 1960
Harold
here is the one in which they were re-united after 3-4 years:

Film: Jewel Thief
MD: SD Burman
Lyrics: Majrooh
Year: 1967
Harold
Film: Baiju Bawra
MD: Naushad
Lyrics: Shakeel Badayuni
Year: 1952

i like it where Rafi-saab sings: meri tan se uch tera djhulna gori
Harold
Dekh Liya Maine
Film - Deedar
Year - 1951
Lyricist(s) - Shakeel Badayuni
Musician(s) - Naushad
Format - mp3

I hope its allowed to upload in this post???
august
Harold ji,

kis connection pe ho aap? confused.gif

abhi abhi maine post kiya aur aapne itne gaane u/l kiye?

'do sitaron ka jameen par' truly brings together two Sitare of the music.
they are not giants but ever shining stars in the sky.
Rafi:Bhakt
My preference goes for Rafi-Lata songs, although there are numerous Rafi-Asha duets that touches your soul or makes one turn into jolly-mood. But in my opinion Rafi-Lata songs have more melodic value. For me Bhabi, Shikari, Sehra, Ijazat duets almost always touches my heart.

Shaka, Bombay405miles, Khuda kasam etc. of Rafi-Asha are extremely melodic...
Binod
I agree with Harold's view that Rafi'c combo with any female, even if it is Sharada, is simply fantastic. He blends his voice to suit them just as he would blend to suit each individual actor or even music director for that matter.

As far as comparing the two sisters with regard to their paring is concerned, two completely different answers come out depending on how you frame the question. If you compare the best duets each sister has with Rafi then definitely the prize must go to Lata since she has the sweeter voice. But the problem with Lata is that she is not as versatile as Rafi or Asha and there comes a time when you cannot have icecream all the time. Sometimes you need the 'khatta' and 'namkeen' too. That is where Asha scores over her. On average Asha's duets score over Lata's because of their multidimensionality. That is why for most duets I prefer Asha's over Lata's but for the best duets it is the other way round.

However, if Geeta were brought into the equation I would prefer her over both the sisters. I find both the sisters' voices too much contrived despite their being mellifluous. How naturally Geeta gildes over each note as if it were tailor-made just for her! Perhaps my choice is clouded by the fact that it is my male gender that is coming into the picture. I do not find Lata's voice voluptuous at all. I find it is too much preteen and too much puritan that is better suited to bhajans. This is how I sense the differences.

Binod.
Harold
Binod-ji,

Maybe thats why OPN never worked with her(Lata).

Augustji and Binod-ji, both your observations are correct. Its true that Asha is more versatile, but its the beauty of Lata-ji's voice that joins so well with Rafi-saab.

August-ji: 512 kbps upload-speed smile.gif Kuch ghaaz to nahin hain happy.gif
Harold
Kitna Pyara Wada
Film - Caravan
Year - 1971
Lyricist(s) - Majrooh
Musician(s) - RDB
Format - mp3
Harold
Ek Daal Par Tota Bole
Film - Chor Machaye Shor
Year - 1974
Lyricist(s) - Ravindra Jain
Musician(s) - Ravindra Jain
Format - mp3
Harold
Dil Tera Deewana
Film - DTD
Year - 1962
Lyricist(s) - Hasrat Jaipuri/Shailendra
Musician(s) - Shankar Jaikishan
Format - mp3
Harold
Dil Ne Dil Ko Pukara
Film - Do Raaste
Year - 1969
Lyricist(s) - Anand Bakshi
Musician(s) - LP
Format - mp3
suhana_safar
Rafisaab and Lata by a mile.

Rafisaab and Geeta are also an awesome combination.
Harold
Awaz Deke Hamein Tum Bulao

and

Main Chali Chali Peeche Peeche Jahan

Film - Professor
Year - 1962
Lyricist(s) - Hasrat Jaipuri
Musician(s) - SJ
Format - mp3

Both very beautiful duets of Rafi-Lata; if you listen to these 2 songs than you have your explanation why this combo is best smile.gif
Harold
Ye Dil Tum Bin
Film - Izzat
Year - 1968
Lyricist(s) - Sahir Ludhianvi
Musician(s) - LP
Format - mp3

Harold
Movie Name: Haseena Maan Jaayegi (1968)
Singer: Lata Mangeshkar, Mohd Rafi
Music Director: Kalyanji Anandji
Lyrics: Akhtar Romani
Year: 1968
Producer: Mangatram Films
Director: Prakash Mehra
Actors: Babita, Johny Walker, Nanda, Shashi Kapoor
Harold
Phool Hai Baharon Ka
Movie Name : Jigri Dost (1969)
Singer : Lata Mangeshkar, Mohd Rafi
Music Director : Laxmikant Pyarelal
Lyrics : Anand Bakshi
Year : 1969
Producer : Vijay Laxmi Pictures
Director : Ravi Nagaich
Actors : Agha, Jagdeep, Jeetendra, Komal, Mumtaz, Nirupa Roy, Prem Kumar, Singh K N

One of my favs:
Harold
Bol Mere Saathiya
Movie Name : Lalkar
Music Director : Ramchandra C
Year : 1964 ???
Producer : Jayant Desai Production
Director : Jayant Desai
Actors : Ishwar Lal, Maya Banerji, Mubarak
Harold
Tere Husn Ki
Movie Name : Leader (1964)
Music Director : Naushad
Lyrics : Shakeel Badayuni
Year : 1964
Producer : Mukerji Films Syndicate
Director : Ram Mukerji
Actors : Dilip Kumar, Jayant, Nazir Hussain, Sapru, Vaijayantimala
sksiddiqui
QUOTE(Harold @ Feb 10 2007, 07:50 AM) *

Bol Mere Saathiya
Movie Name : Lalkar
Music Director : Ramchandra C
Year : 1964 ???
Producer : Jayant Desai Production
Director : Jayant Desai
Actors : Ishwar Lal, Maya Banerji, Mubarak

Haneef Bhai this is a very lovely number indeed. But Info of this should be:

Film: Lalkaar
Year: 1972
MD: Kalyanji Anandji
Lyricist: Hasrat Jaipuri
venkat

Haneef cool.gif

I tend to agree with Haneef when he said that Rafi Saab and Lata were not comfortable with each other, resulting in some tension during the recordings. There was also a competition between both for the No.1 singer slot. It is reported that, many a time, there used to be some arguement among the two and the MD over the scale to be adopted for the song.

For instance, "Bhool Jaaye Sare Gham" is a lovely duet of Rafi-Lata. But, careful observers will note that the song starts with Lata alone uttering "Bhool Jaaye Saare Gham Doob Jaaye Pyaar Mein" and then only is Rafi Saab brought in with joint uttering of "Baj Rahi Hai Dhun Yahi". This means MD:C.Ramachandra had wanted Lata to take the lead with a scale that is comfortable for her and wanted Rafi Saab to follow that scale. Well, this is my conjecture.

Similarly, another contentious case that is reported is "Tasveer Teri Dil Mein Jis Din Se" from Maaya (MD:Salil Chaudhury). Even during this song, it is said, there were arguements on the pitch, scale and so on.

In contrast, Asha did not vie with Rafi Saab for the top slot and hence there was probably a more comfortable working relationship.

Also, many members may not be aware that Asha had sung 769 duets with Rafi Saab, as against 412 by Lata with Rafi Saab! However, this info. has no bearing on the poll topic.

Venkat
venkat
QUOTE(venkat @ Feb 10 2007, 10:05 AM) *

Haneef cool.gif

I tend to agree with Haneef when he said that Rafi Saab and Lata were not comfortable with each other, resulting in some tension during the recordings. There was also a competition between both for the No.1 singer slot. It is reported that, many a time, there used to be some arguement among the two and the MD over the scale to be adopted for the song.

For instance, "Bhool Jaaye Sare Gham" is a lovely duet of Rafi-Lata. But, careful observers will note that the song starts with Lata alone uttering "Bhool Jaaye Saare Gham Doob Jaaye Pyaar Mein" and then only is Rafi Saab brought in with joint uttering of "Baj Rahi Hai Dhun Yahi". This means MD:C.Ramachandra had wanted Lata to take the lead with a scale that is comfortable for her and wanted Rafi Saab to follow that scale. Well, this is my conjecture.

Similarly, another contentious case that is reported is "Tasveer Teri Dil Mein Jis Din Se" from Maaya (MD:Salil Chaudhury). Even during this song, it is said, there were arguements on the pitch, scale and so on.

In contrast, Asha did not vie with Rafi Saab for the top slot and hence there was probably a more comfortable working relationship.

Also, many members may not be aware that Asha had sung 769 duets with Rafi Saab, as against 412 by Lata with Rafi Saab! However, this info. has no bearing on the poll topic.

Venkat

Lakshmi has just uploaded a very nice, 'serious' Rafi-Asha duet: "Ae Chaand Zara Chup Jaa" from Laat Saab, MD:SJ. Here is the link.

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?act=...t&id=104624

Venkat
sksiddiqui
QUOTE(Harold @ Feb 10 2007, 05:34 AM) *

Binod-ji,

Augustji and Binod-ji, both your observations are correct. Its true that Asha is more versatile, but its the beauty of Lata-ji's voice that joins so well with Rafi-saab.

Amazing Speed Haneef Bhai. huh.gif Do you believe I just have speed of 5 to 15 kbps for both d/l and u/l. sad.gif
haneef
QUOTE(sksiddiqui @ Feb 10 2007, 11:07 AM) *

Binod-ji,

Amazing Speed Haneef Bhai. huh.gif Do you believe I just have speed of 5 to 15 kbps for both d/l and u/l. sad.gif

Siddiqui Sahab ... You have confused Harold Sahab's uploads (thinking I did it). I didn't upload any songs on this thread.
I did select some songs yesterday... but then I had to go attend an urgent meeting. Later I forgot what I meant to prove by selecting those songs.... Maybe I just wanted to show Asha Ji's versatality compared with Lata Ji.
Binod Ji, 'Voluptious' .. was the word which I wanted to use yesterday to describe Asha Ji's voice ...but held back, thinking what the reaction of other members might be.
O. P Nayyar Sahab had said that in an interview ... "Lata Ki Awaaz Toh Paani Ki Tarah Behti Hai, Mujhe Aisi Awaaz 'Nahin' Chahiye Apne Gaano' Mein, Unki Awaaz Mein Kuch Wazan (wt.) Nahin Hai".
I never said that Lata's voice was in anyway inferior to Asha's, but it severely lacks emotions 'in duets' with Rafi Sahab, When she sings alone ..... she is definitely the best.
Harold Sahab, I pointed out only the songs of Rafi-Asha in 'Various Moods', not their ' Hit #s'

Haneef cool.gif
Harold

Haneef cool.gif

Venkat

I always had the same thoughts on this scale-theory, without ever reading about it earlier.

You can analyse this from the songs that Rafi-saab sang with several partners. Not only Lata-ji, but also with KK for example. You can hear that Rafi-saab adjusts his scale to theirs. Probably, they couldn't follow his normal scale.

But don't mind me; I have the same thoughts on for example "tumhein mein agar apna saathi"from "Shatranj". (the Asha-clan is probably tendering a supary for me now smile.gif ) Which i find one of the best duets of Rafi-Asha ever wink.gif
Harold
QUOTE(sksiddiqui @ Feb 10 2007, 11:07 AM) *

Binod-ji,

Haneef-bhai ????? ohmy.gif

Are you not confused with the speed Siddiqui-saheb? Is it perhaps 5-12 Kb/s ???

because Kb/s is 8 times kbps-value.

For example: my d/l-speed is 2500 kbps which equals 300 Kb/s.

And this 300 Kb/s is what I see when I download something. wink.gif
Hawa
My Fav duets of Lata & Mohd Rafi.

1959 Dheere Dheere Chal Chaand.. (Love Marriage)
- A romantic song is the most supreme aural delight, tickling the heart, touching the soul, stirring the hips and makes you dance & sing along with it's melodius romantic tune.

1970 Rut Beqaraar Hai Shyaam E Bahaar Hai .. (Maa Aur Mamta)
- A song is one of the most shimmering duets that you can keep on listening without tiring even once. It has a loveable rhythm & lyrics that captures a loving couples who were in Love!

Hawa
Dr_Faustus
My favourite combo: Rafi & Lata

Film: Saranga
Singers: Rafi & Lata
bit rate: 128 kbps
Time: 3:18
Music Director: ?

Click to view attachment
suhana_safar
QUOTE(Harold @ Feb 10 2007, 08:06 PM) *

Haneef cool.gif

Venkat

I always had the same thoughts on this scale-theory, without ever reading about it earlier.

You can analyse this from the songs that Rafi-saab sang with several partners. Not only Lata-ji, but also with KK for example. You can hear that Rafi-saab adjusts his scale to theirs. Probably, they couldn't follow his normal scale.

But don't mind me; I have the same thoughts on for example "tumhein mein agar apna saathi"from "Shatranj". (the Asha-clan is probably tendering a supary for me now smile.gif ) Which i find one of the best duets of Rafi-Asha ever wink.gif

Some Interesting & Valid thoughts !!!

My 2 cents.

Its a well known fact that Md;s like SJ, LP , Ravi and Naushad have gone on record saying that they never needed to tailor made songs for Rafisaab and Lataji, whereas for all other singers they had to customise their tunes.

Rafisaab's versatility is second to none infact he is the benhmark in every aspect of singing and hence his versatility reigns supreme. To say Asha is more versatile than Lata contradicts the opinions of these great MD's. If a singer is truly versatile then that singer does not require a tailor made tune, well thats logically speaking. Lata has sung well just about every type of song in her illustrous career.

Its not that Asha is not versatile but to say she is more versatile than Lata is a bit hard to digest. Rafisaab used to write in his diary "Aaj barabari ka mukabla hein' when he had a recording with lata.

I love all duets of Rafisaab but IMO the quality of the song is more than often higher when Lata is involved. IMO Asha has gone over the top in many songs, songs where she has overdone in her bid to sound versatile and as a result that affected the rythym and the overall quality of the song.

Here are a few examples:

1. In baharon mein Akele na Phiro
2. Aja Aja mein hun pyar tera
3. O mere sona re
4.mujhe pyar ke zindagi denewale
5. Rehene do gile shikwe

Asha must thank ONP for helping her develop her style which mainly worked for OPN compositions. OPN did not use lata because of the way she sang but because of other things that actually had no connection with her singing. OPN was a no nonsense person and Lata failed to recognise that and that was a good enough reason for OPN not to use her at all.

Versatility is not about singing all types of songs but singing them 'WELL'. And thats where Rafisaab reigns supreme in the world of singing.
venkat
Any more views and votes, please?

Thanks,

Venkat
bawlachintu
Dal diya vote ninja.gif
Guess karo, kaunsa option ??
venkat
QUOTE(bawlachintu @ Feb 11 2007, 07:33 PM) *

Dal diya vote ninja.gif
Guess karo, kaunsa option ??

BC saab, I know what you voted for.

Incidentally, I see you are based at Argentine. I had an occasion to visit Bunoes Aires during 2002.

Venkat
Dr_Faustus
Some more lovely duets from Rafi & Lata

Film: Sohni Mahiwal
Song: Eid kan din tere bin
Music Director: Naushad Ali
Time: 3.07
Bit rate: 128 kbps
Click to view attachment

Film: Lutera
Song: Weeran mera dil hai
Music Director: ?
Time: 3.14
Bit rate: 128 kbps
Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.