Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shamshad-nayyar Combo
Hamara Forums > Legends > Legendary Singers > Shamshad Begum
Ummer
I think some of the most popular songs of Shamshad were composed by O.P. Nayyar (besides Naushad). I really love Shamshad/Nayyar and Geeta/Nayyar combo. O.P.Nayyar was one of the very few music directors who admitted that Shamshad played major part in establishing Nayyar's career. Nayyar mentioned Shamshad in many of his interviews.

1. He mentioned that it was bcoz of "Kabhi aar kabhi paar" that people started to recognize me.
2. He described Shamshad's voice as that of a "temple bell" for its clarity of tone.

3. He also mentioned that Geeta Dutt and Shamshad Begum were the ONLY singers who gave 100% to my songs. Rafi and Asha gave only 40%.

4. He also mentioned that Shamshad Begum was the best singer of his time and how she nursed a grudge against him because he never gave her a good enough break once he teamed up with Asha.

In Raju Bharatan Book it is mentioned that how Shamshad helped Nayyar during the difficult times of Mehbooba (1954). I dont remember the full story but it was something like all other Music Directors + Lata teamed up against Nayyar when Nayyar signed this film (which was left incomplete by Roshan). At that time all other female singers shyed away from singing for Nayyar. Nayyar went to Shamshad and said Appa Ji, if you dont sing for me now, I will be in ruins. And Shamshad said, Bring your songs and I will sing each and everyone of your songs. Mehbooba remains the only film where Lata and Nayyar shared credits on screen. After helping and establishing Nayyar so much, Shamshad mentioned that Nayyar also started to give her raw deals and sided with Asha. Shamshad mentioned how the happy version of "Leke pehla pehla pyar" was given to her, but the sad and the better version was given to Asha, but it was her (Shamshad) version that remains popular even today.

Nayyar used Shamshad as a primary singer in Mehbooba, Naya Andaz and gave her atleast one song in almost all his early films. Nayyar used Shamshad's voice in Chham Chamma Chaam, Aar Paar, Mangu, Naya Dour, Naya Andaz, CID, Shrimati 420, Howrah Bridge, Do Ustaad, 12-o-Clock, Mehbooba, Kismet, Qaidi, Mr and Mrs 55 etc.

It would be nice if somone can make a complete list of Shamshad songs for Nayyar.
Nikita Choudhary
Ummer ji, thanks for this nice piece of write-up. I think OPN gave raw deal to both Geeta and Shamshad once he "teamed up" with Asha Bhonsle.

kcp
This is a rare interview of OPN, in which he tells MANY things about
his various singers ( he talks in DETAILS on Asha, Geeta, Shamshad,
Rafi & C H Aatma. Small comments are those of singers Talat, Manna
Dey, Mukesh, Kishore & UshaM )

This was sometime in July 1957....

In this post, I am adding comments only about Shamshad ( other singers'
comments to follow soon )

------------------------------------
My favourite singers ....by O P Nayyar

"Unsung and unplayed, the composition is like a beautiful statue or
painting inert and static, until the singer with his or her voice
breathes life into it"

When a song for which he has composed the tune becomes a hit, the
music director is apt to take all the credit and the kudos himself. In
the flush of success, he forgets the voice of the voices which have,
in more senses than one, given the expression of life to his tune or
composition.
The composition is the composer's undoubtedly. He conceived it, gave
it shape and form, wove its pattern, hewed and bevelled it to fit the
situation and the sentiment, and gave it the flourish and the furbelow
which are the final touches of the artist's craft. So what ? Unsung
and unplayed, the composition is like a beautiful statue or painting
inert and static, until the singer with his or her voice breathes life
into it, imbues it with feeling and expression, and sends it forth
into the world to move a million hearts with its sentimental and
melodic appeal
Often, in moments of relaxation beside the sea - not many, alas,
nowadays with a schedule which practically covers the clock - as I
gaze into the tumbling waters, there rise before my mind's eye the
figures and faces of the distinguished and deservedly popular singers
of the Indian screen who have done just that with my compositions.

I now behold a face lit up with a smile as bright as sunshine. Dressed in the conventional Punjabi costume, the figure is as robust, broad, stately and stout as that of any sturdy and contended lady from the Land of The Five Rivers. The waves beat against the shore with rising fury, unleashing a flood of melody which overwhelms me with its rich tonal texture.
The voice is Shamshad Begum's, and nostalgic scenes awake in the recess of my memory, for Shamshad's singing enthralled me when I was a child. I am thrilled to note that her voice has the same bell-like clarity of tone today as it had then. When, years later, I became a radio singer, I little realised that I would have one day under my baton.
There is a note of sparkling gaiety, a joie de vivre in her singing, which makes it specially suitable for rumbustious outdoor numbers of the folk variety, punctuated with "tukdaas". She takes her work very religiously, so much so that she customarily prays before recording a song. Her singing pulsates with the gaiety and light-heartedness of youth, as is seen in the song "Leke Pehle Pehle Pyar" in CID. "Kahinpe Nigahen" from the same film and "Kabhi Aar Kabhi Paar" in the Raag Piloo in "Aar Paar" are other favourites with both of us. A genial soul, portly and jovial, Shamshad is tolerant and benevolent, with an elder-sister nature which makes her as lovable as she is accomplished
Unquote
sbfan
QUOTE(kcp @ Feb 1 2007, 02:05 PM) *

This is a rare interview of OPN, in which he tells MANY things about
his various singers ( he talks in DETAILS on Asha, Geeta, Shamshad,
Rafi & C H Aatma. Small comments are those of singers Talat, Manna
Dey, Mukesh, Kishore & UshaM )

This was sometime in July 1957....

In this post, I am adding comments only about Shamshad ( other singers'
comments to follow soon )

------------------------------------
My favourite singers ....by O P Nayyar

"Unsung and unplayed, the composition is like a beautiful statue or
painting inert and static, until the singer with his or her voice
breathes life into it"

When a song for which he has composed the tune becomes a hit, the
music director is apt to take all the credit and the kudos himself. In
the flush of success, he forgets the voice of the voices which have,
in more senses than one, given the expression of life to his tune or
composition.
The composition is the composer's undoubtedly. He conceived it, gave
it shape and form, wove its pattern, hewed and bevelled it to fit the
situation and the sentiment, and gave it the flourish and the furbelow
which are the final touches of the artist's craft. So what ? Unsung
and unplayed, the composition is like a beautiful statue or painting
inert and static, until the singer with his or her voice breathes life
into it, imbues it with feeling and expression, and sends it forth
into the world to move a million hearts with its sentimental and
melodic appeal
Often, in moments of relaxation beside the sea - not many, alas,
nowadays with a schedule which practically covers the clock - as I
gaze into the tumbling waters, there rise before my mind's eye the
figures and faces of the distinguished and deservedly popular singers
of the Indian screen who have done just that with my compositions.

I now behold a face lit up with a smile as bright as sunshine. Dressed in the conventional Punjabi costume, the figure is as robust, broad, stately and stout as that of any sturdy and contended lady from the Land of The Five Rivers. The waves beat against the shore with rising fury, unleashing a flood of melody which overwhelms me with its rich tonal texture.
The voice is Shamshad Begum's, and nostalgic scenes awake in the recess of my memory, for Shamshad's singing enthralled me when I was a child. I am thrilled to note that her voice has the same bell-like clarity of tone today as it had then. When, years later, I became a radio singer, I little realised that I would have one day under my baton.
There is a note of sparkling gaiety, a joie de vivre in her singing, which makes it specially suitable for rumbustious outdoor numbers of the folk variety, punctuated with "tukdaas". She takes her work very religiously, so much so that she customarily prays before recording a song. Her singing pulsates with the gaiety and light-heartedness of youth, as is seen in the song "Leke Pehle Pehle Pyar" in CID. "Kahinpe Nigahen" from the same film and "Kabhi Aar Kabhi Paar" in the Raag Piloo in "Aar Paar" are other favourites with both of us. A genial soul, portly and jovial, Shamshad is tolerant and benevolent, with an elder-sister nature which makes her as lovable as she is accomplished
Unquote

wow KCP i am really moved by what Mr Nayyar talked about shamshad and her singing. really i think its she and geetaji who remained off any controversies like dispute with mds, royalties,cancelling rehearsels etc, OP Nayyar acknowledged shamshad's contribution very late.
in her first concert of 1970 she had invited 14 music directors but only Naushadji came none else. each and every song which shamshad ji rendered to Nayyar is a masterpiece. may be punjabi tunes i like etc. but he gave raw deal to all geetaji,rajkumari who sung his first song etc.. shamshad usually got just one song from his films except few even aar paar but that single song is distinct piece and she along rafiji was able to suit her likings.. but he himslef said that love knows no bounds and her lover distracted him to use others..
he himslef said that his fame was established only due to kabhi aar kabhi paar and film got superhit from this song only

thanks ummer for ur write up too. aap bhi unke bahut bade fan hain. bas wait karein unki book ka..

regards
sbfan
sbfan
OP Nayyar was a child when shamshad used to sing at AIR lahore. this is what shamshad said about nayyar

“Nayyar was a young boy when I first saw him at the Gramophone
Company’s studio in Lahore. He would come there on a bicycle. The seniors would
ask him to run the errands—he would bring us ice-cream or soda or some such,’’
well-known playback singer Shamshad Begum said recently, while recalling her
Lahore days.

courtesy...
http://groups.google.co.in/group/rec.music...49ccdb9cb51b630
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.