Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Best Cricket Sledges..
Hamara Forums > General > Sports > Cricket
august
Best Cricket Sledges

Wiki refers to sledging as 'exchanging words with opposition player(s) which can put him(them) off their usual game; it is an attempt to "psych out" an opponent'. Cricket is a very interesting game, and sledging adds to it the extra spice that make it much more than just game.
Here is a compilation of the best sledging related incidents, witnessed in the history of cricket...

History

Sledging has always been a part of cricket.Even the great WG Grace did it. Once in an exhitbition match given
out leg-before, he refused to walk and told the umpire: " They came to watch me bat, not you bowl". And the innings continued. angry.gif

Grace's ability to stand his ground would have done Sunil Gavaskar proud. Once, when the ball knocked off a bail, he replaced it and told the umpire: " Twas the wind which took thy bail orf, good sir."
The umpire replied: "Indeed, doctor, and let us hope thy wind helps the good doctor on thy journey back to the pavilion ." biggrin.gif

The best WG Grace sledge was on him, though, not from him. Charles Kortright had dismissed him four or five times in a county game - only for the umpires to keep turning down his appeals. Finally, he uprooted two of Grace's three stumps. Grace stalled, as though waiting for a no-ball call or something, before reluctantly walking off with Kortright's words in his ears: " Surely you're not going, doctor? There's still one stump standing." laugh.gif

vivekpm
QUOTE(august @ Jul 9 2006, 12:28 AM) *

Grace's ability to stand his ground would have done Sunil Gavaskar proud. Once, when the ball knocked off a bail, he replaced it and told the umpire: " Twas the wind which took thy bail orf, good sir."
The umpire replied: "Indeed, doctor, and let us hope thy wind helps the good doctor on thy journey back to the pavilion ." biggrin.gif

Wow... cricket surely is a gentlemen's game. Sledging main bhi kitna respect hain tongue1.gif

You must have come across list of such sledging incidents in modern-day cricket. Quite an interesting read. Will post it here if I find it somewhere.

Cheers,
vishwa88
Can i Join to conntribute in cricket sledges?????? These arent as decent as the ones posted. Jus forgive me if u dont like them. I will for sure edit it

It really does not get any bigger than this, the two legends of cricket came face to face, literally and engrossed in a verbal duel in a test match in Trinidad. All the juicy details were not to be known until Steve Waugh came out with his autobiography.

Ambrose repeatedly stared Waugh down during a searing spell, and Waugh, who sized up the towering Ambrose, said: " What the f*ck are you looking at? "

Ambrose was stunned because, as Waugh says (in his Autobiography), "no one had ever been stupid enough" to speak to him like that.

Ambrose replied, "Don't cuss me, man", before Waugh's response, which had nothing to do with bowling.

"Unfortunately, nothing inventive or witty came to mind, rather another piece of personal abuse: 'Why don't you go and get f*cked.' "

The Windies skipper Richie Richardson had a hard time keeping Ambrose from hurting the Aussie.

cinemaniac2
Viv Richards was playing county cricket in England, he played and missed three times in a row.

the bowler came up to him, showed him the ball and said "look at it-it's round in shape and red in colour"

the next over Richards slammed him for a huge six and the ball sailed out of the stadium.

he told the bowler- why don't u get it-you have the best description of the ball.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.