Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Knew My Chance Would Come
Hamara Forums > General > Sports > Cricket
unni

Click to view attachment

Munaf Patel: The super surprise of the Test, Munaf's pace, control and swing were a revelation for one and all. It was he who made sure the English tail did not wag for too long on the final morning.

After his dream debut in Mohali, well-wishers rushed to Munaf's house in Ikhar village in Vadodara only to find no one there as all family members were watching the match on TV at a neighbour's house. Later, the villagers organised a shayari programme.

Father Musa Patel told Times News Network: "Munaf has given me the gift every parent wishes from his child. Insha Allah, my son will play the next World Cup for India."

The pacer himself said: "I just wanted to bowl in the right areas. The ball was reverse swinging and I knew if I got it in the right place, I would get wickets." Munaf's performance has the Indian selectors, who have been struggling to find a penetrative quickie, all excited. Said chief selector Kiran More, "He was making the batsmen jump. What has impressed me the most is his ability to adapt so fast. He is bettering himself every day."

Munaf said the 10-wicket haul against England for Board President's XI was the turning point of his career. "Ten wickets is no mean feat. I knew my chances would come in this season since I had 58 wickets in first-class cricket." More has played a big role in Munaf's success.

A trainee of his academy, it was at More's advice that Munaf went to MRF Pace Academy in Chennai. "He always had pace. When he came to my academy, he was unplayable even with a tennis ball. We asked him to go to MRF academy. Now, he is learning how to bowl longer spells consistently," More said.

When asked which England batsman's wicket he cherished the most, the lanky bowler said getting Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Flintoff out was something he would never forget: "I am very happy to get these two great players out. They were the key."

Reverse swing is a weapon Munaf has developed over the years, working hard at the nets. "I was always able to get some reverse swing but working at the MRF Pace Academy helped a lot. Today, I am a lot more confident."

For all the praise heaped on Munaf Patel, his development into a fearsome fast bowler is not yet over. Head coach at the MRF Pace Foundation TA Sekhar believes Munaf has the makings of the next Waqar Younis, touching speeds of 150-kilometres plus. All he needs is a few more correction in his action.

"With the sort of reverse swing that he generates, he can easily become as deadly as Waqar," Sekhar told Times News Network from Chennai. "In fact, I believe that he is capable of generating speeds of up to 150 kmph with a few changes." Sekhar has already identified three areas that Munaf needs to work on: his wrist position behind the ball, the position of his left hand and his abrupt follow through.

"His great asset is that he is extremely accurate even at top speed," Sekhar said.

Akhtar
Munaf was really impressive, bowled quick and accurately.

I just hope he can stay fit and in the team. I hope he does not turn out to be another Zaheer Khan.
princeali
Yeah he is a good find, he bowled quite quick in the last Test !

Finally India have a pacer capable of bowling up to speeds of 150 km/h, the rest of the bowlers in the team aren't that quick.

If Pathan works on his bowling a bit more, they have a good opening pace attack for the WC.
Bawra Jay
Yes I saw his interview yesterday on the Zee news....
tracknest
Yes Munaf your chance has come. He has great potential and I hope he can live up to it. Go get them Munaf!!
imjagdish
QUOTE(tracknest @ Mar 26 2006, 08:52 AM) *

Yes Munaf your chance has come. He has great potential and I hope he can live up to it. Go get them Munaf!!

Certainly a good find.. Hope he is consistent and performa well in the future.. He is not only quick, but is the first Indian quickie who also looks like a fast bowler. biggrin.gif
vivekpm
QUOTE(imjagdish @ Mar 29 2006, 07:07 AM) *

Certainly a good find.. Hope he is consistent and performa well in the future.. He is not only quick, but is the first Indian quickie who also looks like a fast bowler. biggrin.gif

And probably first Indian fast bowler who looks like he can get the tail out too.

Certainly a great find. Should be given chance in ODIs too to make him comfortable by 2007 WC.

Cheers,
Akhtar
I saw Munaf playing against the West Indies, and he looks a shadow of the bowler we say against England.
balajigade
QUOTE(vivekpm @ Mar 29 2006, 10:19 AM) *

QUOTE(imjagdish @ Mar 29 2006, 07:07 AM) *

And probably first Indian fast bowler who looks like he can get the tail out too.

Certainly a great find. Should be given chance in ODIs too to make him comfortable by 2007 WC.

Cheers,

Yes, definitely. But I hope he concentrates more on his bowling capabilities than the commercials unlike one of his contemporaries.

--Balaji
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.