Over the years I have observed that few cricketes actually understand the game in great depth. I am not talking about the technical aspect of the game but the more important and highly neglected, the strategic aspect. A great cricketer need not have a great cricketing mind. Of course there may be exceptions like Imran Khan, Shane Warne, Steve Waugh, Alan Border, Mark Taylor who were/are fine cricketers but also had great cricketing minds.

Mike Brearley of England is the best example of an aveerage cricketer with an excellent cricketing brain. Of late Michael Wauhn falls in the category. His captiancy and thinking in the Ashes was refreshing. He thought outside the sqaure and the result was a series win against the world's best side.

The importance of strategic thinking has being ignored by most cricketing nations over the years. I used to pull my hair and continue to do so when I see captains setting run of the mill field placings without giving any consideration that one size does not fit all.

I am seeing the West Indies and Australian test match via pay channel and it is a pain to see complete lack of imagination from Chanderpaul who has no clue of whats happenning around him. He lets the Aussies of the hook by some boring and laid back decisions and now finds his team facing another humiliating loss.

His team is more than 200 runs behind and he has no third man where fours are flying in dozens. I rememer Imran Khan using third man from the first over in the second innings in a Test match against India and saved more than 16 boundaries by the lunch time. Great cicketing decision, all were criticising him for being negative except me who thought it was a strategic decision.

Cricket is a great game as it can be won sometimes without a major contribution from the bat and ball. I hope teams and youngsters are trained in this aspect. Otherwise we may have to face embarssment by dumb statements like " Attapatu and Captain of world X1". He would not even be selected for an Asian X1 side.....that is exactly I am trying to stress, the importance of dynamic thinking in the game.