Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shamshad Begum Or Noorjahan
Hamara Forums > Legends > Legendary Singers > Shamshad Begum
sbfan
Hi friends

Here I present a song from Khandaan- Nj movie 1941
This song

"MERI AMMI KA RAJ BHALA " is credited to noorjahan but on listening i am doubtful that it is by shamshad . other sources on net say we have only one song duet " chalo paniya bharan " by shamshad ,noorjahan(which is already u/l). Can anyone clear ,my doubt . It is an old recorded listen with high voulme.

regards

Ashish
Ummer
Hello Ashish,
I am Shamshad Begum fanatic. She is my most fav singer. I haven't downloaded the song, but "Meri Ammi ka Raaj" is Noor Jehan for sure.

My MOST FAVORITE Shamshad/Noor Jehan duet is "Maar gayie re hamien teri najariya, pyari najariya, tirchi najariya" Love it biggrin.gif

maheshks
Ashishji you are correct...if you listen to both the songs

meri ammi ka raaj bhala and hum aankhmicholi khelenge from the movie khandan....the difference in voices is absolutely clear. The first one is sung by shamshad and the second one by noorjahan. smile1.gif

Those days there were different versions of the songs....we may have to wait for Urjungji to throw some light on this aspect.

camera.gif
Inaam
Does Anyone Have The Track Listing Of 'Khandan'?
Any help is appreciated.

Inaam

sangeetbhakt
QUOTE(Inaam_Nadeem @ Jul 4 2005, 12:00 PM)
Any help is appreciated.

Inaam

Here's what the Geetkosh says:
Film: Khandaan (1942)
*ring: NoorjehaN, Ghulam Mohammad, Manorama, Ajmal, Durga Khote
Music: Ghulam Haider
Lyrics: Not mentioned

Tracks:
1. Ud ja panchhi uD ja -- NoorjehaN
2. Maar gayi re hameN teri najariya -- NoorjehaN, chorus
3. Mere man ka panchhi kyooN bole -- ?????
4. Shokh sitaaroN se hil milke -- NoorjehaN
5. Chalo paniya bharan ko chaleN -- NoorjehaN, Shamshad Begum, chorus
6. Meri amma ka raaj bhala -- NoorjehaN
7. Aa gaya mere baag ka maali -- NoorjehaN
8. Pee le pee le more raaja -- NoorjehaN
9. Tu kaun si badli me -- NoorjehaN
10. Mere liye jahaaN me chain na qaraar hai -- NoorjehaN

No male singers in the film at all.
Also, is the hero of this film the music director Ghulam Mohammad?
Inaam
Thank you very much sangeetbhakt sahab!

To my knowledge, Pran was the hero of the film.

BTW can you provide me the link of Geetkosh site?

Inaam

maheshks
Nadeem bhai ye dekho poster and the hero

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

PRAN AND NOORJAHAN

Music director was ghulam haider
maheshks
Some more interesting facts about the movie khandan....gathered from the net
This indicates that the song ud ja panchhi was a duet sung by Gulam Haider himself along with noorjahan.

In this film KHANDAN of D.Pancholi's produced in Lahore ,a juvenile
Nurjahan was introduced to the Indian audiences for the first time
after run away success of KHAZANCHI. Gulam Hyder had created 'waves'
with his haunting scores.

KHANDAN too repeated success with scintillating music.Out of
them,there was one redeeming duet rendered by Nurjahan/GH himself and
picturised on the heroine and actor Pran,the hero.The song: Ud jaa
panchi..
.created ripples in the music biz.Such a tune had never ever
been composed before,creating shock waves in the NT group, in Bombay
too in the Ranjit circle with Jnan Dutt/Khemraj in top form and Anil
Biswas too, for the National Studios and so too in the Prakash Studios
with Shankar Rao Vyas at the helm...Naushad herein was a
Liliputian,mind well!!

The 'asthaayi' itself in Ud jaa,panchee ee ee was an intricate piece
of improvisation that litterally stunned all GH's contemporaries.

One has to bear in mind that during the music making of KHANDAN around
'41,Shyamsundar was in GH's troupe as a violinist.It was Shyamsundar
who was the "first" MD who adapted this Ud jaa... style of 'mukhda' in
his first Bombay venture in Prabhat's NAI KAHANI ('43) in the song
penned by Walli: Aa jaa,aa-jaa;aa aa aaa aa-ja...MD: GH did it on
'panchee' and the 'shagird' did it on 'Aa jaa'
sangeetbhakt
QUOTE(Inaam_Nadeem @ Jul 4 2005, 12:36 PM)

Inaam

I guess the film has both Pran and Ghulam Mohammad.
THe geetkosh is a book, actually a set of 5 volumes, not
a site.
Shahrukh3000
QUOTE(Ummer @ Jul 4 2005, 01:59 PM)
Hello Ashish,
                      I am Shamshad Begum fanatic. She is my most fav singer. I haven't downloaded the song, but "Meri Ammi ka Raaj" is Noor Jehan for sure.

My MOST FAVORITE Shamshad/Noor Jehan duet is "Maar gayie re hamien teri najariya, pyari najariya, tirchi najariya" Love it biggrin.gif

hello ummar ji

can u try to find and upload this song for me pls

FILM: NAYA PAISA (1958)
SONG: AJI NA NA NA KAROJI KARO HAAN
SINGERS: MOHD RAFI & SHAMSHAD BEGUM
Ummer
Hello Guyz,
I think film had 2 heroes and heroines as the storyline goes. First generation hero and heroine were played by Ghulam Mohd and Manorama. Second generation hero and heroine were played by Pran and Noor Jehan.
Ummer

No! Ghulam Mohammad, Ajmal etc were veteran actors. They stayed back in Lahore and after partition they acted in scores of Pakistani films. Ghulam Mohammad acted again with Noor Jehan in Intezar (1956).
urzung khan
QUOTE(sangeetbhakt @ Jul 5 2005, 12:20 AM)
QUOTE(Inaam_Nadeem @ Jul 4 2005, 12:00 PM)
Any help is appreciated.

Inaam

Here's what the Geetkosh says:
Film: Khandaan (1942)
*ring: NoorjehaN, Ghulam Mohammad, Manorama, Ajmal, Durga Khote
Music: Ghulam Haider
Lyrics: Not mentioned

Tracks:
1. Ud ja panchhi uD ja -- NoorjehaN
2. Maar gayi re hameN teri najariya -- NoorjehaN, chorus
4. Shokh sitaaroN se hil milke -- NoorjehaN
6. Meri amma ka raaj bhala -- NoorjehaN
7. Aa gaya mere baag ka maali -- NoorjehaN
8. Pee le pee le more raaja -- NoorjehaN
9. Tu kaun si badli me -- NoorjehaN
10. Mere liye jahaaN me chain na qaraar hai -- NoorjehaN

No male singers in the film at all.

If anybody has this song, please share.

The lyricist for 'ur ja panchhi' was M D Taseer and for the
rest of the songs D N Madhok.

In the cast the correct name is Durga MoTa and not Durga
Khote.

Which of the lines have been sung by Noor Jahan ?

urzung khan
Ummer
On second thoughts I think there is something wrong with the Geetkosh data.

8. Pee le pee le more raaja -- NoorjehaN<---- This song was sung by Shamshad Begum, NOT Noor Jehan, I am 100% sure about that. It was one of the Shamshad Begum biggest hits in 1942, and most magazines I read list it as Shamshad Begum song. I used to have this song, it doesnt sound like Noor Jehan at all. I dont like this song though.

On second thoughts, I think Ashish maybe correct. "Meri Ammi ka Raaj" maybe sung by Shamshad, instead of Noor Jehan.
bibhas
QUOTE(sangeetbhakt @ Jul 4 2005, 06:33 PM)

Inaam

a site.

It does have a website though (like everything else these days).
Inaam, the URL is http://hamraaz.org/index.htm
Inaam
QUOTE(bibhas @ Jul 5 2005, 10:05 PM)
QUOTE(sangeetbhakt @ Jul 4 2005, 06:33 PM)

Inaam

a site.

Thanks Bhibas Ji bow.gif

pradeepasrani
Meri Ammi Ka Raaj Bhala is Noorjehan in my view and if my memory serves me right, she sings in the movie too. Pee Le Pee Le Oh Morey Raja, on the other hand is Shamshad. I am not sure if it was retained in the movie but if that's the case, then it is likely to be picturised on the lady who seduces Pran, the hero of the movie.

Pradeep
sbfan
QUOTE(pradeepasrani @ Jul 7 2005, 09:23 PM)
Meri Ammi Ka Raaj Bhala is Noorjehan in my view and if my memory serves me right, she sings in the movie too. Pee Le Pee Le Oh Morey Raja, on the other hand is Shamshad. I am not sure if it was retained in the movie but if that's the case, then it is likely to be picturised on the lady who seduces Pran, the hero of the movie.

Pradeep

Hi Pradeep ji

Actually when i listened i found some maturity in the voice and more nasal content than noorjahan used ."Shamshad is elder than noorjahan and she sounds mature than noorjahan "therefore i thought ot may be shamshad version. i have not seen the movie.i guess from the song that it must be picturised on a child who ultimately grew to noorjahan .therefore it may be possible that on child it was picturised and by shamshad. i am guessing it as i am not familiar with the story.
waiting for reply

with warm regards

ashish
maheshks
Ashish and Pradeep

I am uploading HUM KHELENGE HUM AANKH MICHONI KHELENGE...a song
sung by noor jehan in the same movie, in noor jehan thread. If you listen to both the songs you will easily find that MERI AMMI KA RAAJ BHALA is sung by shamshad begum only. As I have already stated above there is a possibility of two versions of the song.

Here is HUM KHELENGE HUM AANKH MICHOLI KHELENGE.

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...&st=0&p=112756&
Inaam
QUOTE(maheshks @ Jul 8 2005, 09:25 PM)
Ashish and Pradeep

I am uploading HUM KHELENGE HUM AANKH MICHONI KHELENGE...a  song
sung by noor jehan in the same movie, in noor jehan thread. If you listen to both the songs you will easily find that MERI AMMI KA RAAJ BHALA is sung by shamshad begum only. As I have already stated above there is a possibility of two versions of the song.

Mahesh Ji I agree with you and Ashih, "Meri ammi ka raaj bhala" doesn’t sound like Noor Jehan at all, It maybe sung by Shamshad Begum.

BTW Do you (or any kind soul) have the following songs from ‘Khandan’? if so, please upload for me.

Maar gayi re hameN teri najariya -- NoorjehaN, chorus
Mere man ka panchhi kyooN bole -- ?????
Pee le pee le more raaja – Shamshad Begum
Aa gaya mere baag ka maali – NoorjehaN

Thanks in advance.

pradeepasrani
QUOTE(Inaam_Nadeem @ Jul 9 2005, 01:51 AM)
QUOTE(maheshks @ Jul 8 2005, 09:25 PM)
Ashish and Pradeep

I am uploading HUM KHELENGE HUM AANKH MICHONI KHELENGE...a  song

Mahesh Ji I agree with you and Ashih, "Meri ammi ka raaj bhala" doesn’t sound like Noor Jehan at all, It maybe sung by Shamshad Begum.

BTW Do you (or any kind soul) have the following songs from ‘Khandan’? if so, please upload for me.

Thanks in advance.

All i can say in defence of myself is that I have this song 'Meri ammi ka raaj bhala' on 78 RPM record as well as in a 4 part cassette set of Noorjehan by HMV. This 4 part cassette set as the 78 RPM record are kept in my house in Mumbai. Incidently the song 'Hum khelenge ankh michouli' is on the other side of the record. Both the songs are credited to Noorjehan on the record. Also if my memory serves me right, this song is somewhere in the middle of the movie; and most probably after 'Hum khelenge ankh michouli'

Pradeep
Priya
QUOTE(Inaam_Nadeem @ Jul 9 2005, 01:51 AM)

BTW Do you (or any kind soul)  have the following songs from ‘Khandan’? if so, please upload for me.

Thanks in advance.

INAAM!!!!!! Yeh kya kar diya tumne!!!! cry.gif Madam ke gaane Shamshadji ke forum mein mangte ho???? Humse pooch liya hota. I have maar gayi re and mere baag ka maali.
Will ul them in the Madam forum!!!! Reminds me of the Kabir dohe where people go searching for some deer's scent (for whatever reasons) when it is within reach!!!! tongue.gif
I too agree. Meri ammi ka raj sounds like Shamshad. Infact I first got a version from sangeetmahal.com as an NJ song and that too is the same file uled here. So the question--was there a Madam version. Has HMV been releasing the wrong version? Gotta check all my cds--I have this song on 3 cds I think. sad1.gif
Priya
Pradeepji, do U remember where this song occurs in the movie? My discs do not seem to have this and some other songs too. cry.gif
Thot I would check the video sequence but gaana nahi mil raha hai. sad1.gif
Inaam
QUOTE(priya @ Jul 11 2005, 12:30 AM)
INAAM!!!!!! Yeh kya kar diya tumne!!!!  cry.gif Madam ke gaane Shamshadji ke forum mein mangte ho???? Humse pooch liya hota. I have maar gayi re and mere baag ka maali.
Will ul them in the Madam forum!!!! Reminds me of the Kabir dohe where people go searching for some deer's scent (for whatever reasons) when it is within reach!!!!  tongue.gif
I too agree. Meri ammi ka raj sounds like Shamshad. Infact I first got a version from sangeetmahal.com as an NJ song and that too is the same file uled here. So the question--was there a Madam version. Has HMV been releasing the wrong version? Gotta check all my cds--I have this song on 3 cds I think. sad1.gif

Priya ye bhi Hamara hi forum hai bhai laugh.gif Anyway songs ke liye thanks NJ forum per karonga laugh.gif
pradeepasrani
QUOTE(priya @ Jul 11 2005, 01:09 AM)
Pradeepji, do U remember where this song occurs in the movie? My discs do not seem to have this and some other songs too. cry.gif
Thot I would check the video sequence but gaana nahi mil raha hai. sad1.gif

Sorry Priya

I have seen this movie a few years back and don't remember all the sequences, though broadly I can recall the story.

Pradeep
Priya
Well I checked the discs sent to me by a friend of Noor Jehan songs ripped from original vinyls yesterday to get the maar gayi and bagh ka maali songs. In that disc too meri ammi ka raj bhala is the same version that we have been discussing. Ab purane vinyl par to glati nahi ho sakti na? So I guess it is Madam after all?
hits
QUOTE(priya @ Jul 11 2005, 12:41 PM)
Well I checked the discs sent to me by a friend of Noor Jehan songs ripped from original vinyls yesterday to get the maar gayi and bagh ka maali songs. In that disc too meri ammi ka raj bhala is the same version that we have been discussing. Ab purane vinyl par to glati nahi ho sakti na? So I guess it is Madam after all?

We've had quite some back and forth on this one. "Meri Ammi Ka Raaj Bhala" is sung by Shamshad Beghum. This appears to be a case of the record companies bungling up the singer credits early on.
urzung khan
QUOTE(priya @ Jul 11 2005, 11:41 PM)

You have got the disk, good. Please tell me is it by
Jein o Phone or HMV ?
mohd2004
For song ----Meri Ammi ka raaj bhala..,I also feel that it is Shamshad Begum and not Noor Jehan.
Cannot trust HMV , as they have goofed up quite a few times, for instance, for ---Dekh chand ki ore ( AAG-1948 - duet ), film version recorded in the voice of Mina Kapur and Sailesh and--film version released in 90's cassettes/CD's, wrongly credited to Shamshad. But the same song was recorded on 78 rpm -with Shamshad and Sailesh.
maheshks
Finally I got the vcd of the movie khaandan...the songs meri ammi ka raaj bhala and mere baag ka maali phir aa gaya.....are not covered. However, it is absolutely clear from the story line that these songs must have been picturised on the child...named as Najma in the movie...who had played the role of younger sister of Noorjehan..all the songs picturised on noorjehan have been sung by her and other songs by different singers.
tahir77

Thanks bibhas jee
SuDeo

This criss-cross discussion on Khandan songs has been the most delightful one I have read for a long time. It is fascinating and really entertaining (and illuminating too).

Mahesh Ji, can you please give the details of the Khandan VCD, the name of the company which has released it and its address. Thanks in advance.

Subhash G Deo
hildebrand
QUOTE(SuDeo @ Jun 24 2006, 07:43 PM) *

This criss-cross discussion on Khandan songs has been the most delightful one I have read for a long time. It is fascinating and really entertaining (and illuminating too).

Mahesh Ji, can you please give the details of the Khandan VCD, the name of the company which has released it and its address. Thanks in advance.

Subhash G Deo

Very true Subhash ji.
It is a very interesting discussion and on listening to the song I also feel its Shamshad ji as well. And it is sung so well. It does appear to be picturised on a child as well. Didn't know Shamshad ji had done songs for child actors as well!
I wish all the members who posted such lovely posts are more active on this forum so that we all can learn from them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.