Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Former Test Cricketer Solkar Passes Away
Hamara Forums > General > Sports
unni
From Hindustan Times online:

Press Trust of India
Mumbai, June 26

Click to view attachment

Former Test cricketer Eknath Solkar died here on Sunday following cardiac failure. He was 58.

Solkar, who was ill for the last four to five days, died at his residence, according to former team mate and ex-India captain Dilip Vengsarkar.

Former Test allrounder, born on March 18, 1948 in Mumbai, was known for his brilliant close fielding, especially at short leg. He played 27 Tests between 1969 and 1976-77.

Solkar was gritty left-handed lower order batsman and useful left-arm bowler who could bowl slow-medium or orthodox slow.

He was instrumental in the success of the famous Indian spin quartet in 1970s due to his extra-ordinary reflexes and brave attitude which helped him take some blinders and spectacular catches in the short leg position.

Solkar represented Mumbai in Ranji trophy and also played for West Zone in Duleep trophy.

In 48 Test innings, Solkar amassed 1068 runs at average of 25.42 with one century (102) and six half centuries to his credit. He also took 53 catches most of them close to the wicket.

Solkar captured 18 wickets after giving away 1070 runs at an average of 59.44 per wicket. His career best in Test cricket was 3 for 28.
Nimii
Unni is there any pic of how he looked when was younger? The paper carries his recent pic sad1.gif and I am not able to recognize him :|

N :|
ps: Some faces I can remember from some old collections of sports star at home - GRV, BB, Prasanna, Chandrasekhar..
Nimii
Oops I didnt realize you had posted a pic here sad1.gif

Sorry :|

N :|
fiftysomeone
Eknath Solkar was also the captain of the Indian Schoolboys cricket team in the mid-1960's before he moved on to the Ranji/International level. Probably that was the first time such a team had been formed and I think they toured England as well as hosted their schoolboys team.
maheshks
I remember his gritty innings of 18 runs...that included a six of Bob Willis.....when India scored its lowest test innings score of 42 against England in 1976 series. That was the series when he made very useful contributions, apart from the 1971 series against West Indies....which is known for some record making innings by Sunil Gavaskar and Dilip Sirdesai.
pranavjh
Of course, he is renowned for his excellent ability at the close-in positions on the field (Silly Point, Forward Short Leg). The spinners of India during his time have a lot to thank fearless Solkar who took some amazing catches in that position (primarily silly point, am I right?). I had collected a few pictures of his catches and created a montage when I was in school. Now it's lying in some attic back in India. I sincerely hope it's maintained it's condition!! sad1.gif

Pranav
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.