Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Singh Is King
Hamara Forums > Music > Sangeet Ke Sitarey
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
swarapriya
Jagjit Singh - The Ghazal King

Jagjit Singh. He was a true legend in his own time. In a span of nearly 35 years, by several estimations, he released 80 plus discs. But during the same time, along with his singing wife Chitra (see the attached pictures below), he released nearly 400 albums. These included, apart from the individual albums, various collections of songs from his released albums. This number is truly an astonishing achievement.

Jagjit Singh, though popularly known for his ghazals, also had numerous devotional albums to his credit. He also was active in many films. He was occasionally participated in composing music for TV shows. He sang in many languages, but mostly in Hindi and his mother tongue, Punjabi.

He was decorated with innumerable awards. Prominent of these include Padma Bhushan, Sahitya Academy Award, Sangeet Natak Academy Award, Sahitya Kala Academy Award, and host of others.

I was encouraged by several members of this Forum to start a thread on Jagjitji. Finally I decided to take the plunge.

Jagjitji, who passed away in 2011 at the age of 70, left us with a legacy of overwhelming song contributions. Singhji was affectionately known as the Ghazal King. Because he lives through his work in our hearts forever, Singhji is still the King.

I will start this thread with Singhji’s discography. I split this into various parts, sorted alphabetically. Each part of the discography lists 20 albums. I will upload these parts below.

I will follow up this with a devotional album of Jagjitji.

Next, the discography…
swarapriya
Jagjit Singh Discography

Here is the discography of Jagjit Singhji...
swarapriya
Continuing Jagjit Singh Discography

Here is more of Jagjitji's discography...
swarapriya
Concluding Jagjit Singh Discography...

Here is the rest of the discography of Jagjitji...
swarapriya
Shri Ganesh

It is an amazing fact, at least for me, that Jagjitji had nearly 50 devotional albums. We will kick off this thread with this beautiful album of prayers to Lord Ganesha where there are eight separate bhajans. I will upload them in two back-to-back posts.

Here are the bhajans in the first post...
swarapriya
Concluding Bhajans from "Shri Ganesh"...

Here are the rest of the bhajans from this beautiful album...

swarapriya
The Unforgettables (1976)

This was the first recorded album of Chitra & Jagjit Singh. The singing format that the couple adopted for their first album was unconventional. In an interview Jagjitji explained that "I was determined to polish up the genre and make it more acceptable to modern tastes, so chose simple poems and set them to simple tunes. I also introduced western instrumentation to make them livelier." This formula proved a winner and the couple never looked back after this thundering success with their first album. The album became an overnight best seller and heralded a new couple to the horizon of ghazal singing group. Of the 11 ghazals from the album, Jagjitji’s “Baat Niklegi” became a sensational hit. Critics described it as ground breaking, transformative, and a milestone in the history of ghazal music.

Of the 11 tracks in the album there are four solos by Jagjitji and five by Chitraji. Two are duets. I am uploading these ghazals in two back-to-back posts. Here is the first set…
swarapriya
Concluding Ghazals from "The Unforgettables (1976)"...

Here are the rest of the ghazals from this incredible first album of Chitra & Jagjit Singh...
swarapriya
Bahuroopi (1969) - A Gujarati Film

We have already seen two facets of Jagjitji; devotional albums and ghazal albums. The third facet he made himself name was in films and television. He either sang one or two songs for them, or composed music for them, or both. Here are some of the details of his first movie...

Jagjit Singh’s first break as a singer came in this Gujarati movie. In this 1969 film, he sang a beautiful song “Laagee Raam” composed by Ajit Merchant. At this time Jagjit was still a bachelor and had typical Sardarji’s looks. After this he changed his image by removing both his pagdi and beard. He later married Chitraji who was from Bengal. She was a divorcee and already had a daughter by her first marriage.

Jagjitji remembered his Gujarati connection throughout his life. He visited Ahmedabad at least twice a year and performed there numerous times.

Even though this film was the first one for which he sang, it was not the first time he sang a Gujarati song. He sang a Gujarati song that was composed by Avinash Vyas for a gathering in 1968 at the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. Bhavan used to encourage young singers to perform at its gatherings. The occasion where Jagjitji got the opportunity to sing was for Bhavan’s “Song of the Month” gathering. For his efforts Singhji received a sum of 250 Rupees.

“Laagee” is the only song Jagjitji sang for the film “Bahuroopi”. I don’t have other songs from the film to share with you. If any one of you can share, please kindly do so. Thanks.

Now for the only song from this film I have…
swarapriya
Krishna Bhajans

This is another beautiful devotional album from the singing duo Chitra & Jagjit Singh. I will upload these bhajans in two back-to-back posts. Here is the first set...
swarapriya
Concluding Bhajans from "Krishna Bhajans"...

Here are the rest of the bhajans from this beautiful album...
swarapriya
A Milestone...

Jagjitji's early albums generally tended to have English titles. That was true with his and Chitraji's first album "The Unforgettables". So is this one and many others that followed it.

This 1980 album has 10 beautiful ghazals in it. I will upload them in two back-to-back posts. Here is the first set...
swarapriya
Concluding Ghazals from "A Milestone..."...

Here are the rest of the ghazals from this fine album...
swarapriya
Aavishkar (1973)

This is one of the fine movies about feuding couples where the two principal actors, Sharmila and Rajesh Khanna, gave superb performances. There are only few songs in this movie but each one of them is a gem. The song "Naina Hain" by Asha is a real beauty. She sang with such deep pathos and passion that it lingers in your thoughts for some time.

Jagjitji and Chitraji sang only one song in this film. It is also a sheer beauty. It appears twice in the film. I am uploading the second part in the second post. The quality of this part is just fair. I am also uploading a slightly different take on the same song rendered in classical style by Jagjitji in a concert in Mumbai. It is heart hugging and if you are only used to Jagjitji's ghazals this singing will simply blow you out. Done in Bharavi Raag, it is one superbly executed lovely. Incidentally, this song was apparently written by Wajad Ali Shah, the Last Nawab of Avadh. I cannot authenticate this but the CD simply lists lyrics as traditional.

I am uploading songs from this album in two back-to-back posts. The first post contains all songs from an original soundtrack album. The second post contains songs taken from a DVD.

Now for the songs in the first post...
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Aavishkar (1973)"...

The songs in this post are all from a DVD of the film. The second part of the "Baabul" song comes near the end of the film and its audio quality in the DVD wasn't that good. I am uploading here at a lower bit rate for completeness sake.

Here are the songs in this post including Mannada's beautiful extended version of the song "Hansne Ki"..
swarapriya
Bhakti (Live in Trinidad-1)

In a trip to Trinidad in 1989, Chitraji & Jagjitji gave several concerts. These were released as a two set CD albums and LPs. One interesting aspect of these albums is that the first CD is a Hindu devotional where as the second CD is an Islamic devotional. Later, both these albums were released separately under different names. The Hindu devotional album was released as "Bhakti". The Islamic devotional was released under the name "Chirag".

I will upload songs from the first volume today in two back-to-back posts. The second volume will be uploaded next week. Here is the first set of songs from the first volume...
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Bhakti (Live in Trinidad-1)"...

Here are the rest of the songs from this fine album...
swarapriya
Birha Da Sultan - A Punjabi Album

Shiv Kumar Batalvi who died at the tender age of 36 in 1973 was a noted Punjabi romantic poet. His songs touched many people’s hearts as they delved into pangs of pathos, heightened passions, agony of separation, and ecstasy of fulfillment. In 1967 he was honored with the Sahitya Akademi Award for his popular verse play that became an instant epic. Thus at 21, he became the youngest recipient of the coveted award. The play was based on an ancient legend of Puran Bhagat. That work “Loona”, published in 1965 when he was 19, is now considered a modern masterpiece of Punjabi literature.

It is only appropriate that Jagjitji chose Batalvi’s work for his first Punjabi album. The songs that created a new genre in Punjabi literature have been given to life, appropriately, in the vibrant and unique modernistic approach of Jagjitji and Chitraji. I am uploading these 10 beautiful songs written by Batalvi in two back-to-back posts. Here is the first set of these songs…
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Birha Da Sultan" - A Punjabi Album...

Here are the rest of the songs from this beautiful album...
swarapriya
Ek Baar Kaho (1980)

Jagjitji sang only one song in this film. But it is a thing of lasting sheer beauty. This song he sang along with Aarti Mukerjee appears piecemeal throughout the movie, some six or seven times. Several albums published it as a duet with and without dialogues. The one that includes dialogues is about 20 minutes long. I am uploading the duet version without dialogues in the first post. Many other albums released most of this song by separating male and female portions as two songs. I am uploading these in the second post.

These songs came either from CD collections or from a DVD. Whereas the quality of the songs from CD is very good, I feel that the quality from the DVD could have been a tad better.

Now, for the songs in the first post...
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Ek Baar Kaho (1980)"...

The following two solo versions are already in the duet uploaded in the first post. Because many albums carry these as two separate solos, I am uploading these here.

swarapriya
Chirag (Live in Trinidad-2)

Here is the second album from Chitraji & Jagjitji's trip to Trinidad in 1989. This album contains Islamic devotionals. Originally released as "Live in Trinidad-2", it was later released under the name "Chirag".

I am uploading songs from this fine album in two back-to-back posts. Here is the first post...
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Chirag (Live in Trinidad-2)"...

swarapriya
Eternity

This is another early albums of Jagjitji (1978) that carries an English title. I am uploading these ghazals in two back-to-back posts. Here is the first set...

swarapriya
Concluding Ghazals from "Eternity"...

Here are the rest of the ghazals from this fine album...
swarapriya
Aakrant

For this Zahira starrer released in 1973, music was composed by Jagjitji. Unfortunately, I don't have a single song from this album to share with you. I am requesting members to share any songs they may have from this album. Thank you.
swarapriya
Man Jeetai Jagjeet (Gurbani) - A Punjabi Devotional Album

I am uploading this Punjabi devotional album in two back-to-back posts. Here are the Shabads in the first post...
swarapriya
Concluding Shabads from "Man Jeetai Jagjeet (Gurbani)" - A Punjabi Devotional Album...

This post contains a lengthy shlok (sholok). It is over 27 minutes of duration. Therefore, I have to split it into three parts. To access the shlok, you have to upload all three parts. Either one or two parts will not work.

Here is the shlok...
swarapriya
Come Alive - Vol. 1

This 1979 concert was originally released as two LPs. Each LP had six ghazals in it. Later it was released in cassettes and CDs. After a while it was released as one CD with eight ghazals selected from the 12.

I will upload ghazals from the first volume in two back-to-back posts here today. The second volume will come next week. This album is one of the liveliest of Chitraji & Jagjitji. Especially when Jagjitji sings "Sarakti Jaaye" the whole pandemonium breaks loose.

Here is the first set of ghazals from volume one...
swarapriya
Concluding Ghazals from "Come Alive - Vol. 1"...,

Here are the rest of the ghazals from this crowd pleaser. Pay attention especially to the ghazal "Sarakti Jaaye". When Jagjitji sings this ghazal he brings down the entire house, at once boisterous and noisy. Love it...

Here are the ghazals...
chopin
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jun 30 2012, 03:17 AM) *

Concluding Shabads from "Man Jeetai Jagjeet (Gurbani)" - A Punjabi Devotional Album...

This post contains a lengthy shlok (sholok). It is over 27 minutes of duration. Therefore, I have to split it into three parts. To access the shlok, you have to upload all three parts. Either one or two parts will not work.

Here is the shlok...

Swarapriya thank you for uploading this album including the long shlok.

Regards , Sanjay
akbaralibhai
Just back in my hometown after 3 months, thank you very much Swarapriya for this wonderful collection, I have been waiting for this collection.
swarapriya
QUOTE(chopin @ Jul 2 2012, 11:47 AM) *

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jun 30 2012, 03:17 AM) *

Here is the shlok...

Swarapriya thank you for uploading this album including the long shlok.

Regards , Sanjay

You're very welcome Sanjay. Cheers. -S
swarapriya
QUOTE(akbaralibhai @ Jul 2 2012, 06:00 PM) *

Just back in my hometown after 3 months, thank you very much Swarapriya for this wonderful collection, I have been waiting for this collection.

Bhai Saab,

You're very welcome.

You are one of the members of this Forum, Bhai Saab, who have encouraged me time and again to start this kind of thread. Before I could plunge into it, I wanted to make sure that I had enough albums to share and make a full justification of it. It turns out that I got plenty of them that I will be able to share that will keep this thread alive hopefully for sometime to come.

Again, thank you very much for the encouragement.

Cheers,
S
swarapriya
Sukhi Perwaar (1978) - A Punjabi Film

Jajgitji sang only one song, a duet with Minoo Purshottam, in this Punjabi film. It also has several other nice songs in this album for which Mohinderji composed the music. I am uploading these in two back-to-back posts. I am also including the duet by Chitraji and Jgajitj, that Jagjitji sang originally for this film with Minoo Purshottam, from their "Punjabi Hits" album here.

Here are the songs in the first post...
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Sukhi Perwaar (1978)" - A Punjabi Film...

swarapriya
He Ram... He Ram.... Shree Ram Dhun

This devotional album consists of Shree Ram Dhun. On the CD it comes in two parts. It is difficult to distinguish what is the difference in these. It seems to me that they are the same except near the end for a minute are so.

This is a dhun devotional. The same words (given in the table below) are repeated over and over again. I believe each part has the dhun done eight times. Length of each part is about the same, nearly 27 minutes. I am uploading these dhuns in two back-to-back posts. Please note that because of the duration of each dhun, I have to split each of them into three parts. To access the dhun please upload all three parts as any one or two will not work.

Here is first part of the Shree Ram dhun...
swarapriya
Concluding the Dhun from "He Ram... He Ram.... Shree Ram Dhun"...

Here is the second part of this dhun. Please download all three parts to access the dhun.
swarapriya
Come Alive - Vol. 2

Here is the second part of this concert. This concert is signified by the upbeat songs and the crowd participation in it. There are six ghazals in this volume. I will upload them in two back-to-back posts.

In this first post, Jagjitji's song "O Dhaai Din" is simply a riot. Here is this and other songs in this post...
swarapriya
Concluding Ghazals from "Come Alive - Vol. 2"...

Here are the rest of the ghazals from this boisterous album...
swarapriya
Arth (1982)

Mahesh Bhatt made several good movies before he decided to quit directing films. This movie, "Arth", came during his early career and it is one of the great ones. Bhatt wrote the story, co-wrote the screenplay, produced the film and directed it as well. Apparently it was based partly on his own life when he was involved with the late actress Parveen Babi. Smita Patil played Babi’s role in the film. But the movie belonged to Shabana Azmi all the way. She portrayed the wife of the director husband played by Kharbanda. One day she finds herself facing the truth that her husband loves someone else and she has no one else to look after her wellbeing except dig deep into herself to establish her own identity. Shabana was simply brilliant as the suffering wife who was willing to face her new life on her own terms.

The movie won several awards and rightfully so. Shabana won the Filmfare Award as the Best Actress. She also won the National Award as the Best Actress for her brilliant portrayal. Rohini Hattangadi, a BAFTA Award winner for her role in Sir Richard Attenborough’s “Gandhi (1982)”, won the Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award. Mahesh Bhatt won the Filmfare Award for the Best Screenplay.

The songs of this movie, composed by Chitra Singh and the late Jagjit Singh, are simply superb. The original soundtrack album has five songs but in the actual film, they used only three songs, all written by Kaifi Azmi Saab and all sung by Jagjitji. I am uploading these songs in two back-to-back posts. The first post contains songs from the original soundtrack album plus the title music from a DVD. The second post contains some specials.

Here are the songs in the first post...
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Arth (1982)"...

I am including in this post two separate fuller versions of "Tere Khushboo" from this film and an instrumental of "Tum Itna". Here are these...
swarapriya
Maa

This fine devotional album by Jagjitji has eight bhajans in it. I will upload them in two back-to-back posts. Here is the first set...
swarapriya
Concluding Bhajans from "Maa"...

Here are the rest of the bhajans from this beautiful devotional album...
swarapriya
Live in Concert - Dar es Salaam - Vol. 1

1969 was a concert year for Jagjitji. He and Chitraji were in a live concert somewhere in India (Mumbai?) that resulted in the two albums I have uploaded earlier (“Come Alive in a Live Concert”). He also made a trip with Chitraji to Pakistan. That concert realized five albums. I have these albums and will upload them one at a time in a few weeks. Then, he toured (without Chitraji) to the city of Dar es Salaam in Nigeria. He made this trip with the Rainbow group out of Mumbai. The troupe also included the singers Taj Ahmed and Shankar Ganguly. The result of the trip was another two albums. These were released both as LPs and cassettes. I am not certain whether they were ever released in CDs. These two albums are almost rare and very difficult to find. I was fortunate to get hold of the cassettes. I am uploading ghazals from these two cassettes in two consecutive weeks, one this week and the other next week. Please be warned that the quality of these recordings is not to the mark even though the songs come out loud and clear.

I am uploading ghazals from the first volume in two back-to-back posts. The music for these ghazals is by their respective singers. Here are the ghazals in the first post…
swarapriya
Concluding Ghazals from "Live in Concert - Dar es Salaam - Vol. 1"...

Here are the rest of the ghazals from this volume of the concert album...
swarapriya
Main Aur Meri Tanhai (1981)

Music for this 1981 film was composed by Jagjitji. He and Chitraji sang all the songs in the film. This is another outstanding album by Jagjitji where some of the songs became staple and were time and again sang at various concerts because of their popularity and appeal.

I am uploading songs from this album in two back-to-back posts. Here are the songs in the first post...
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Main Aur Meri Tanhai (1981)"...

Here are the rest of the songs from this outstanding album...
swarapriya
Jai Jai Shrinathji - A Gujarati Devotional Album

Various artistes, including Jagjitiji (albeit only one), contributed songs to this beautifiul Gujarati devotional album. I am uploading these in two back-to-back posts. Here is the first set...
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Jai Jai Shrinathji" - A Gujarati Devotional Album...

Here are the rest of the devotionals from this beautiful album...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.