Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When Composers Became Singers
Hamara Forums > Music > Singers
Pradeep
http://www.screenindia.com/fullstory.php?content_id=10105 (by Ravi Patil)

You hear it occasionally - a song pleasant to the ears and very soothing to the minds, but rendered by a different rather than a familiar voice, though the song and singing are impressive. Yes, we are referring to songs sung by the creators themselves.

Some of our prominent music directors who have created history with their fabulous tunes (as sung by our renowned playback singers) have themselves tried their hands at singing. This two-fold job of composing and singing proved very effective because the composer’s own voice was instrumental in bringing out the full depth in a particular situation of the film, apart from the nuances of the compositions themselves. At other times, a particular song situation or composition demanded that the song be sung by the music director himself.

Probably the oldest frontline composer-singer was Pankaj Mullick whose majestic voice and pleasant tunes fused in recall-worthy songs like ‘Chale pawan ki chaal jag mein chale pawan ki chaal...’, ‘Aayi bahar aaj aayi bahar...’ and ‘Mehak rahi phulwari...’ (all three from the film Doctor) and ‘Piya milan ko jaana...’ from Kapal Kundla which can be considered his trademark song. Composer Anil Biswas also sang his own ‘Hamein maar chalaa yeh khayaal yeh gham...’ (Arzoo).

Let us now look at all the songs composed by C Ramchandra and sung by Chitalkar - Ahh, does that ring a bell? It should, because both these names are of the same person, as composer and singer respectively! Avid radio listeners can recall this familiar announcement, that obviously continues even today. An ace composer who was ahead of his times, C Ramchandra has given us Western numbers (like ’Ina mina dika...’/ Aasha) way back in the ’50s. But his role as a singer too has been well certified. All the songs sung by him, most of them duets, are cherished even today. A very early song sung by him, ‘Kabhi yaad karke gali paar karke chali aana hamare angana...’ (Safar/1946) with Binapani Mukherjee touches your heart to the core.

1950 boasted of his musical diamond-studded chain called Albela, with its joyous, foot-tapping numbers like ‘Shaam dhale khidki tale...’, ‘Mere dil ki ghadi kare tik tik...’,‘Bholi soorat dil ke khote...’, ’Shola jo bhadke dil mera dhadke...’ and the serene ‘Dheere se aaja ri ankhiyan mein...’all with Lata Mangeshkar. Other Chitalkar hits include the melodious ‘Kehte hain pyaar kis ko panchhi zara bataa de...’(with Lata again) from the film Baarish (with his sad solo version), the philosophical ‘Daane daane pe likha hai khaanewale ka naam’ from the same film, the fast number ‘Naacho ghoom ghoom ghoom ke...’ (Sarhad), the pathos-filled ‘Woh hum se chup hain hum unn se chup hain...’ (Sargam) and ‘Ae aankh ab na rona...’ (Sipahiya) and the joyous ‘Kitna haseen hain mausam kitna haseen safar hain...’ (Azaad) with Lata yet again.

Sachin Dev Burman - the name that spells class as a composer-proved that his voice could enhance a situation in a film very effectively as is evident from his songs in Bimal Roy films like ’Sun mere bandhu re sun mere mitwa...’ (Sujata) and ‘O re maanjhi - mere saajan hain iss paar...’ from Bandini. Burman-da’s ‘specials’ for Dev Anand included ‘Wahaan kaun hai tera musafir jaayega kahaan...’ (Guide) and ‘Prem ki pujari...’ (Prem Pujari). Among the other SD Burman-sung hits were ‘Kaahe ko roye...’ (Aradhana) and ‘Meri duniya hai maa...’ (Talash).

Rahul Dev Burman, who stormed the nation with fabulous music that spelt magic throughout the ’70s, was no less than his father. RD Burman gave a modern color to Hindi film music while retaining the desi mould. The singer in RD Burman played the role of a booster to his compositions. Most of the songs sung by him were smash hits, like Asha Bhosle’s sizzler from the film Caravan - ‘Piya tu ab to aaja...’ had him singing the line ’Monica O my darling...’ which sent the audience into a tizzy, or ‘Mehbooba o mehbooba...’ (Sholay) proved to be a crowd- puller. ‘Sapna mera toot gaya ...’ with Asha from Khel Khel Mein showcased RD Burman’s ability to sing a number of the soft genre.

In a particular seqence in Hum Kisise Kum Nahin featuring four songs in succession, RD Burman chipped in with ‘Ho tum kya jaano mohabbat kya hai...’. Other hits sung by Pancham-da include ‘Yamma yamma ye khubsoorat samaa...’ (with Rafi) with a lot of Shaan and ’Jaana o meri jaana...’ (Sanam Teri Kasam).

Madan Mohan. almost another name for ghazal, took everyone by surprise when he sang ’Mai re main kaase kahoon...’ in the ghazal -studded Dastak.

Among the juniors, Bappi Lahiri, the name synonymous with disco, was responsible for the turn that music took in the ‘Eighties. Much earlier, Bappi Lahiri had already taken off with a vocal bang in the Vinod Khanna film Aap Ki Khatir with the song ‘Bambai se aaya mera dost...’. It became an uncontrollable craze whose hangover is being experienced even today. Around the same time, in Chalte Chalte, which established Bappi Lahiri as a music director, the smooth ‘Jaana kahaan hai pyaar yahaan hai...’ had him sharing honours with Sulakshana Pandit. In the early ’90s, in marched a film called Thanedaar, which once again proved Bappi Lahiri’s skill at composing a perfect dance number - the Anuradha Paudwal - Bappi Lahiri duet, ‘Tama tama loge...’ which was a big hit.

AR Rahman, the Southern super-sensation with an international touch, made substantial inroads and gave a new definition to hit music. His electronic display in his compositions was a mega-success, as was evident from his tunes in the film Roja and Bombay. AR Rahman proved his singing abilities with ‘Dil se re...’ (Dil Se...), ‘Columbus Columbus...’ in Jeans and the Taal hit ` bina kya jeena yaaron...’ with co-singers Sonu Nigam, Anuradha Sriram and Sujatha.

Anu Malik is a frequent visitor to the recording cabin too, under his own direction. Among his many super-hits, solo or otherwise, are ‘Oonchi hai building...’ (Judwaa), ‘Sexy sexy sexy...’(with Alisha in Khuddar), ‘Gore gore gore gore...’ (Main Hoon Na) and so many others with a few lines by him (like ‘Yeh kaali kaali aankhen...’ in Baazigar). Anu Malik’s hit entry on the charts was of course, ‘Julie Julie...’ (Jeete Hain Shaan Se).

Anand Raaj Anand (a music director and lyricist) is another frequent vocalist, with hits under his belt that include ‘It happens only in India...’ (Pardesi Babu) and ‘Oye Raju...’ (Hadh Kar Di Aapne) to ‘Dil de diya hai’ (Masti).

...And Lyricists Too

Let us focus now on lyricists. One of our seniormost lyricists was Kavi Pradeep, who with his meaningful and thought-provoking verse has made our film and music industry so much richer. The very mention of Kavi Pradeep brings forth that much-needed patriotic instinct. In the 1940s, Ashok Kumar’s Kismet ran for three years in Kolkata. The songs in this film written by Kavi Pradeep and composed by Anil Biswas were a rage. Here we recall some of the gems coming from the great lyricist-cum-singer - ‘Pinjre ke panchhi tera dard na jane koi...’ (Naagmani), ‘Tere dwaar khadaa bhagwan...’ (Waman Avtaar), ‘Kitna badal gaya insaan...’ (Nastik), ’Doosaron ka dukhda door karnewale...’ (Dashera), ‘Mukhda dekh le praani...’ (Do Behne) and the classic from Jaagruti - ’Aao bacchon tumhe dikhaayen jhaanki Hindustan ki...’, which has almost become a sort of a regular lesson.

Another very popular lyricist who turned singer was Anand Bakshi. His song from Mom Ki Gudiya, ‘Baaghon mein bahaar aayi...’ with Lata Mangeshkar turned out to be a smash hit. There was a solo by him in the same film - ‘Main dhoondta hoon sapnon mein...’. His small vocal portion ’Dil insaan ka...’, a prelude in the main song ‘Aaja teri yaad yaayi...’, (Lata-Rafi/Charas) was significant. Balika Badhu also had Anand Bakshi rendering a soulful number ‘Jagat musafirkhana...’.
gkshyam
Also...names like Sandeep Chowta (Sab Gandha Hai Par Dhandha Hai Yeh-Company...) , RaajKamal (Music director of Chashme Baddoor....the end credits in the film give his name under the playback singers list.....But I'm not sure which song he must have sung....), Jatin (of Jatin-Lalit.....sang Roothke humse Kabhi.....in Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander) , Aadesh Srivastava (who is also a drummer by profession.....has sung in many of his films), Ravindra Jain (again...mainly known as a music director in Hindi films......but has sung many many hits) etc..can be added out here......There could be many more in the list.... smile1.gif
Nimii
ANU MALIK

BAPPI LAHIRI

n wink2.gif
Teetlee
BAPPI LAHIRI

There was one song from him.. which goes like "you are my chicken fry , your are fish fry, kabhi na kahna Kudiyee Bye bye bye"

Did he write lyrics for thosr or some one else did, just Curious
Nimii
Huh!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bappi has sung many other songs!!!!!!

In Prem pratigya.. Pyar kabhi kam nahi karnaa..

Bombay se aaya mere dost... (i think that was Bappida only) and many others are there smile1.gif

You are my chicken fry was sung by him but I have no idea whose brilliant lyrics they are wink2.gif

N biggrin.gif
AzgarKhan
He has sung the starting few lines of the superhit song, "Milke na hongay juda aa, aa kasam khalen" from movie Pyar Jhukta Nahi.

Mohabbat ki tadap aye dil idhar bhi hai udhar bhi hai.
Kahen kaise yehi mushkil idhar bhi hai udhar bhi hai.

Nimii

Lyrics of You are chicken fry wink2.gif hehehehe

b: (## You are my chicken fry
You are my fish fry##) - 2
(kabhii naa kahanaa ku.Diye ##bye bye bye##) -2

s: (## You are my samosa
You are my masala dosa##) - 2
(mai.n naa kahuu.ngii mu.nDiyaa ##bye bye bye## ) - 2

b: haa ... haa ... haa ... haa ...

(s: saraso.n kaa tU saag hai
mai.n makke kii roTii
b: jo bhii tujhako dekhe
ho jaaye ?? goTii ) - 2

s: (## You are my chocolate
You are my cutlet [cut-uh-let]##) - 2
(mai.n naa kahuu.ngii mu.nDiyaa ##bye bye bye##)

(kabhii naa kehenaa ku.Diye ##bye bye bye## ) -2

b: haa ... haa ... haa ... haa ...

(b: garamaa garam tanduurii tU hai
mai.n to aa.Nkhe.n sekuu.n
s: mu.nh me.n paanii aajaataa hai
jab mai.n tujhako dekhU.N ) - 2

b: (## You are my rossogolla
You are my rasmalai##) - 2
kabhii naa kahanaa ku.Diye ##bye bye bye##

s: (## You are my samosa
You are my masala dosa##) - 2
(mai.n naa kahuu.ngii mu.nDiyaa ##bye bye bye## ) - 2

(kabhii naa kahanaa ku.Diye ##bye bye bye##) -2
Teetlee
You are my chicken fry was sung by him but I have no idea whose brilliant lyrics they are

I was wondering if he himself wrote those. I am trying to figure out the "creative" mind behind those lyrics
Teetlee
Wow.. Thanks for the lyrics

Who is "S" along with "B" Bappi
Nimii
More songs from Bappi

Tumhara pyar chahiye mujhe jeen ke liye (Toote khilaune)

Koi yahan nache nache (Disco dancer)

Yaad aaraha hai.. (Disco dancer)

Raat baaki baat baaki.. (Namaklal)

Tarzan my tarzan (Tarzan)

And many more smile1.gif

N smile1.gif
Teetlee
ok there was one more... Typical Bappi style "Lovers.... Dream lovers..." that is all i remember
Nimii
QUOTE(Teetlee @ Jun 17 2005, 08:01 PM)
Wow.. Thanks for the lyrics

Who is "S" along with "B" Bappi

S is Sweta Shetty..

lyricist is unknown wink2.gif

I am sure he must have gone underground after writing this lyric wink2.gif

N tongue.gif
rom
Is Pyar Bina Chein Kahan Re listed anywhere here? No, I think.
Teetlee
To me best he sang was from a Vinod Khanna movie. "aakhon me tum… bholo tumhe kahise chahu"
Nimii
The movie that song is from Rock dancer smile1.gif

N smile1.gif
Nimii
QUOTE(rom @ Jun 17 2005, 08:04 PM)

No ROM we missed that one out! Phew that one is with SJ (Hits favourite singer)..

N smile1.gif
Nimii
Recently he released an album mocking the netas..

IT went like this.. mujhko neta banaa de..

N biggrin.gif
ps: I am searching for this album frantically biggrin.gif
Teetlee
QUOTE(Nimii @ Jun 17 2005, 10:37 AM)
The movie that song is from Rock dancer smile1.gif

N smile1.gif

Is this Govinda movie where Samantha Fox acted along with him unsure.gif unsure.gif
rom
No ROM we missed that one out! Phew that one is with SJ (Hits favourite singer)..

Abbreviations again! wink2.gif SJ usually goes for Shankar-Jaikishen, lekin aapka jawab sahi maankar lock kar dete hein.
Nimii
Wowowie Bappida has composed music for tamil movie too ohmy.gif

Movie Name: Aandavan
Cast: Rajnikanth , Aamir Khan , Juhi Chawla , Om Puri , Pooja Bedi , Vadivukkarasi
Music: Bappi Lahiri
*A remake of Aatank Hi Aatank*

N ohmy.gif
Teetlee
QUOTE(Nimii @ Jun 17 2005, 10:39 AM)

N biggrin.gif

I have heard that he has come up with one album with his son "Bappa", I hope he (his son) does not drape himself with all the jewelry his dad is used to.

Now the song you are talking about is this from this very same album with his son or a different one. For some reason I like Bappi's music
Nimii
QUOTE(rom @ Jun 17 2005, 08:11 PM)

Abbreviations again! wink2.gif SJ usually goes for Shankar-Jaikishen, lekin aapka jawab sahi maankar lock kar dete hein.

grrr ROM brackets teek se padhiye!!!!!!!!!!!! I have written Hits favourite singer! The singer is a co-singer of Bappida! How could that be Shankar Jaikishan sad1.gif N bangs her head on the nearest wall *thump thump*

S JANAKI !!!!!!!!!!!!

n biggrin.gif
Nimii
QUOTE(Teetlee @ Jun 17 2005, 08:15 PM)
QUOTE(Nimii @ Jun 17 2005, 10:39 AM)

N biggrin.gif

I have heard that he has come up with one album with his son "Bappa", I hope he (his son) does not drape himself with all the jewelry his dad is used to.

Now the song you are talking about is this from this very same album with his son or a different one. For some reason I like Bappi's music

me too biggrin.gif Ya Teetlee it could be that it is the same album. O yes he did launch his son recently wink2.gif

N biggrin.gif
Nimii
Rock Dancer indeed has Govinda with Samantha Fox!!

N biggrin.gif
Teetlee
QUOTE(Nimii @ Jun 17 2005, 10:44 AM)

Movie Name:  Aandavan
Cast:  Rajnikanth , Aamir Khan , Juhi Chawla , Om Puri , Pooja Bedi , Vadivukkarasi
Music:  Bappi Lahiri

N ohmy.gif

Kinda hard to believe, Aamir Khan , Juhi Chawla , Om Puri , Pooja Bedi all in Tamil movie. Amazing
rom
I know, I know it's S Janaki... that's why I advanced you to the enxt round.
Nimii
QUOTE(Teetlee @ Jun 17 2005, 08:18 PM)
QUOTE(Nimii @ Jun 17 2005, 10:44 AM)

Movie Name:  Aandavan
Cast:  Rajnikanth , Aamir Khan , Juhi Chawla , Om Puri , Pooja Bedi , Vadivukkarasi
Music:  Bappi Lahiri

N ohmy.gif

Kinda hard to believe, Aamir Khan , Juhi Chawla , Om Puri , Pooja Bedi all in Tamil movie. Amazing

Could be one of those dubbed version! Yikes cant image tamil coming out of AK and JC's mouths hehehehe (*ayyo ROM gonna attack me again for the abbre.*

N biggrin.gif
Nimii
QUOTE(rom @ Jun 17 2005, 08:19 PM)
I know, I know it's S Janaki... that's why I advanced you to the enxt round.

OH yes oh yes.. you indeed did! tongue.gif

N tongue.gif
gkshyam
Well...NimmiJi......I can very well imagine Tamil coming out of Juhi Chawla's mouth....if not from AK & OP's mouths.......I think she did a wonderful job with the tamil dialogues in Hum Hai Rahi Pyar Ke.......no other Non-Tamil Hindi actress could have done a better job..... wink2.gif
oye_sonu
QUOTE(rom @ Jun 17 2005, 09:04 PM)

This song is from the movie Sahiib starring Amrita singh and Anil kapoor!!

its sung by asha .bhosle and bhappi da

Very nice song

thnx

Sonu
oye_sonu
My favourite of song sung by Bhappi lahari is

"Tumhara pyar chaiye mujhe jeene ke leye
mujhko har ghadii tumahra didaar chaieye"

from the movie Manokamnaa

i can upload this song who want it!!

Brillant songgggggggggggggg!! bow.gif

Yaad a raha hai from disco dancer is also veryyyyyyyyyy gooood thumbs-up.gif

Then third one is the " Pyar kabhi kam nehi karna koi sitam kar lena"

What ever may be the voice quality i like those compostions of bhapi da!

Sonu
gkshyam
Oye Sonu!!!!! Just a small correction......In "Pyaar Bina Chain Kahaan Re", Bappi Da's co-singer was S.Janaki, and not Asha Bhosle.... tongue.gif wink2.gif
iqbal
QUOTE(AzgarKhan @ Jun 17 2005, 02:22 PM)
He has sung the starting few lines of the superhit song, "Milke na hongay juda aa, aa kasam khalen" from movie Pyar Jhukta Nahi.

Thanks Azgar, I have always wondered whose voice it was was before Shabbir Kumar takes over.

Bhappi also sings in Amitabh's Giraftaar ‘Sukh aye gaa dukh jaayega’
Saj1974
QUOTE(iqbal @ Jul 13 2005, 07:30 PM)
QUOTE(AzgarKhan @ Jun 17 2005, 02:22 PM)

Thanks Azgar, I have always wondered whose voice it was was before Shabbir Kumar takes over.

Bhappi also sings in Amitabh's Giraftaar ‘Sukh aye gaa dukh jaayega’

That voice does not belong too Bappi da! Those two lines have been rendered by Laxmikant of LP. He has also sang in the following films

Jalte badan 1973
Desh Premee 1980 - Gorey nahin hum kaale sahi....
Do Qaidi 1988 - Yeh chali woh chali & a Parody
Pyar Mohabbat 1988 - Goli andhar dam bahar with Kishore & Mehmood
Narsimha 1991

there are few other titles too which don't come to mind now

Regs
Saj
iqbal
Didn’t he also sing the starting bit in Rafisaab’s ‘ Ke aaja teri yaad aayee’ ?
oye_sonu
QUOTE(iqbal @ Jul 13 2005, 09:40 PM)
Didn’t he also sing the starting bit in Rafisaab’s ‘ Ke aaja teri yaad aayee’ ?

Iqbal bhai that is the voice of the lyricist ANAND BAKSHI saaab
The song is a duet from the movie CHARAS with lata and rafi as singers

thnx thumbs-up.gif
Sonu
iqbal

Thanks for the info Sonu bhai
oye_sonu
QUOTE(gkshyam @ Jul 13 2005, 08:22 PM)
Oye Sonu!!!!! Just a small correction......In "Pyaar Bina Chain Kahaan Re", Bappi Da's co-singer was S.Janaki, and not Asha Bhosle.... tongue.gif wink2.gif

Shyam ji thnx for correction
i think it was a south movie- Sahib
mostly south producers insist on south singers being used

thnx

Sonu
gkshyam
Quite possible Sonu.....Could be a South based production....But.....just for the info......Bappi Lahiri has used S.Janaki in many films.....(can't really say whether all were necessarily south-based productions....) Also I'm not sure whether S.Janaki has sung in Hindi for ANY OTHER music director other than Bappi Da......Would be great if someone could provide more insight into this..... smile1.gif thumbs-up.gif
iqbal
QUOTE(gkshyam @ Jul 13 2005, 04:53 PM)
Quite possible Sonu.....Could be a South based production....But.....just for the info......Bappi Lahiri has used S.Janaki in many films.....(can't really say whether all were necessarily south-based productions....) Also I'm not sure whether S.Janaki has sung in Hindi for ANY OTHER music director other than Bappi Da......Would be great if someone could provide more insight into this..... smile1.gif thumbs-up.gif

Hi gkshyam,

S.Janaki has also sang for LP in Amitabh’s Aakhri Raasta, ‘Gori ka saajan’, a beautiful fast duet with Mohd.Aziz.

Another popular one is from the movie Ghayal, ‘Don’t say no’ with Amit Kumar (Bhappi)

oye_sonu
QUOTE(iqbal @ Jul 14 2005, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE(gkshyam @ Jul 13 2005, 04:53 PM)

Hi gkshyam,

S.Janaki has also sang for LP in Amitabh’s Aakhri Raasta, ‘Gori ka saajan’, a beautiful fast duet with Mohd.Aziz.

Another popular one is from the movie Ghayal, ‘Don’t say no’ with Amit Kumar (Bhappi)

Iqbal bhai Akhri raasta is again a south production.
in fact many bhappi- govinda- mithun movies are south productions

thnx
Sonu
rizwan
damn, I'm running late. Just stumbled onto this thread, will try to post my list of Bappi Lehri songs sung by himself tomorrow. He has sung much more than what's been listed so far.

Have a good night, all.
Rizwan
Hero76
QUOTE(rizwan @ Jul 26 2005, 05:09 PM)
damn, I'm running late.  Just stumbled onto this thread, will try to post my list of Bappi Lehri songs sung by himself tomorrow.  He has sung much more than what's been listed so far.

Have a good night, all.
Rizwan

bow.gif Being a HUGE Bappi Lahiri fan I have to contribute and revive this thread. He has sung tons of great solos but I will post those at a later time. Right now I am looking for YAARI HAI PHOOLON SE MERI YAARI and TUMHARA PYAR CHAHIYE. If someone has those two gems please upload them. Thanks in advance.
imjagdish
QUOTE(Nimii @ Jun 17 2005, 08:01 PM) *

More songs from Bappi

And many more smile1.gif

N smile1.gif

spank.gif yaad aa raha hai is not Bappi Lahiri...it's B. Hiremath...(only Bappi clone witch.gif )
Hero76
QUOTE(imjagdish @ Nov 21 2005, 01:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Nimii @ Jun 17 2005, 08:01 PM) *

More songs from Bappi

And many more smile1.gif

N smile1.gif

spank.gif yaad aa raha hai is not Bappi Lahiri...it's B. Hiremath...(only Bappi clone witch.gif )

that may be BAPPI's given name, there is no way that number is not sung by BAPPI.
bawlachintu
Wonderful Introductory post Pradeep. Good thread indeed.

regards

bc

PS: Anand Raj Anand from new generation of MDs has got
impressive voice. Dil de diya hai...... fame
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.