Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Talat Rerecorded By Another Singer

, The original film version rerecorded by Rafi & MK

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Talat Rerecorded By Another Singer, The original film version rerecorded by Rafi & MK
Binod
post Dec 2 2005, 02:38 AM
Post #16

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 953

QUOTE(princeali @ Nov 30 2005, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(unni @ Nov 29 2005, 08:47 AM) *

Based on what I have come across, I think for Aradhna SDB had made it clear that Rafi would sing all the songs. In this case you had the most popular male voice of Rafi saab who sang for everyone, on a struggling not yet famous Rajesh Khanna which made sense at the time. When SDB fell ill, the team of Shakti Samantha (producer), RDB and the rest still wanted Rafi for all the songs but he was out of the country at the time so they opted for Kishore to sing the other songs. When SDB recovered, he didn't mind RDB's choice because he was never really against Kishore throughout his career and had used him in his Dev Anand films. It is interesting to note that SDB was still Rafi oriented all the way in later releases like Ishq Par Zor Nahin and Talaash, two big musicals that came after Aradhna. It is only in the seventies after recording "Mera Man Tera Pyaasa.." in Gambler that he made the switch in this film itself by giving all the other songs to Kishore.

Same case with Kati Patang, according to Shakti Samantha, Mukesh came in for "Jis Gali Mein Tera..." because Kishore was out of the country.

I know we are again going off topic. We have forgotten Tapan Kumar. My son who is 25 today quizzed me if I knew the real name of this guy — as he had expected I failed miserably as I knew this bloke's neither real nor reel name.

For lack of a subforum that deals with all great singers simultaneously I am bending the rules here as everyone else seems to doing so anyway and will discuss other singers too.

Prince , can you tell us why Shakti Samanta did not even consider Rafi to be fit to be a subsitute for Kishore and chose Mukesh instead as his second choice? At that time I am sure Shakti Samanta was still a heavy weight and both RD and Kaka Rajesh were not in a position to dictate terms. Or was it that Rafi simply chose not to sing it or was he is still in his never ending tour abroad?

Fot this song, in my opinion, Rafi would have been the best choice. It is soft-sounding like the songs from GUIDE " Tere Mere Sapne" and "Dil Dhal Jayen, " both songs Kishore wanted so badly and SDB refused to oblige him despite the fact he had a soft corner for KK, saying that only Rafi could do full justice to these songs.

I am really puzzled here. Come to think of it and going back on track. Tapan Kumar could have also sung these two Guide 1965 songs very well. After all SDB had used him so well in Taxi Driver 1954. Had 11 intervening years made such a difference? He wound have rendered his magic to "Jis Gale Mein " too. But perhaps he was already out circulation and the Kid RDB would not have known what to do with him.

Awaiting comments.

Binod.

धन्यबाद

विनोद

"If music be the food of love, play on;
Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die."

From Twelfth Night (I, i,1-3)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tracknest
post Dec 2 2005, 07:33 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 3031

Mahesh ji

Talat Mahmood was the hero of the movie and I have seen the film. I would be shocked if I was wrong on this. Who was it piturised on then?

IF WISHES WERE HORSES THEN BEGGARS WOULD RIDE
+Quote Post
desai2rn
post Dec 2 2005, 07:58 AM
Post #18

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 189

QUOTE(Binod @ Dec 2 2005, 02:38 AM) *

QUOTE(princeali @ Nov 30 2005, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(unni @ Nov 29 2005, 08:47 AM) *

Based on what I have come across, I think for Aradhna SDB had made it clear that Rafi would sing all the songs. In this case you had the most popular male voice of Rafi saab who sang for everyone, on a struggling not yet famous Rajesh Khanna which made sense at the time. When SDB fell ill, the team of Shakti Samantha (producer), RDB and the rest still wanted Rafi for all the songs but he was out of the country at the time so they opted for Kishore to sing the other songs. When SDB recovered, he didn't mind RDB's choice because he was never really against Kishore throughout his career and had used him in his Dev Anand films. It is interesting to note that SDB was still Rafi oriented all the way in later releases like Ishq Par Zor Nahin and Talaash, two big musicals that came after Aradhna. It is only in the seventies after recording "Mera Man Tera Pyaasa.." in Gambler that he made the switch in this film itself by giving all the other songs to Kishore.

Same case with Kati Patang, according to Shakti Samantha, Mukesh came in for "Jis Gali Mein Tera..." because Kishore was out of the country.

I know we are again going off topic. We have forgotten Tapan Kumar. My son who is 25 today quizzed me if I knew the real name of this guy — as he had expected I failed miserably as I knew this bloke's neither real nor reel name.

For lack of a subforum that deals with all great singers simultaneously I am bending the rules here as everyone else seems to doing so anyway and will discuss other singers too.

Prince , can you tell us why Shakti Samanta did not even consider Rafi to be fit to be a subsitute for Kishore and chose Mukesh instead as his second choice? At that time I am sure Shakti Samanta was still a heavy weight and both RD and Kaka Rajesh were not in a position to dictate terms. Or was it that Rafi simply chose not to sing it or was he is still in his never ending tour abroad?

Fot this song, in my opinion, Rafi would have been the best choice. It is soft-sounding like the songs from GUIDE " Tere Mere Sapne" and "Dil Dhal Jayen, " both songs Kishore wanted so badly and SDB refused to oblige him despite the fact he had a soft corner for KK, saying that only Rafi could do full justice to these songs.

I am really puzzled here. Come to think of it and going back on track. Tapan Kumar could have also sung these two Guide 1965 songs very well. After all SDB had used him so well in Taxi Driver 1954. Had 11 intervening years made such a difference? He wound have rendered his magic to "Jis Gale Mein " too. But perhaps he was already out circulation and the Kid RDB would not have known what to do with him.

Awaiting comments.

Binod.

I have been reading this thread with interest. I remember reading an article in Filmfare, a long time ago,
after Mukesh's death. they had mentiond two songs of Mukesh picturised on Dilip Kumar.
The first song was " Yeh mera diwanapan hey " from Yeahudi. DK was insisting on Talat, his playback voice at the time. However Shankar Jaikishan were strongley in favour of Mukesh and very happy when
coin flipped in Mukesh's favour. The other song was " Suhana safar aur yeh mausam hase" from Madhumati.
In this lyricist Shilendra insisted that he had writen the song with Mukesh in mind and pleaded for Mukesh.
Incidentley both the movies were Bimal Roy production. The fact that both the songs were super hits of it time and are just as popular today may be says the songs creators knew what they were doing. I believe
Shilendra also convineced SDB, who for whatever reason was not a Mukesh fan, to use him for " O jane wala
ho sake to lautke anaa" in Bandini. Yet another Bimal Roy film. In fact I can't imagine anyone else singing
the three songs mentioned above. IMHO Jis gale mein was tailor made for Mukesh.

Ramesh

R a m e s h
+Quote Post
princeali
post Dec 2 2005, 09:48 AM
Post #19

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 134

QUOTE(Binod @ Dec 1 2005, 04:08 PM) *

Awaiting comments.

Binod.

Binod ji,

There could be various reasons why Rafi saab did not sing "Jis Gali Mein Tera...". As you mentioned he might have been out of the country for a prolonged period of time and they wanted to record the songs a.s.a.p so they didn't have time to wait.

Secondly, RD may have created this composition with only Mukesh in mind and although at the time RD was not in a position to dictate terms, Shakti Samantha might have given RD complete freedom to do what he thought was best and in this case went along with the idea of using Mukesh.

In the past producers had a big say as to which singer would sing in their films. We've heard stories about BR Chopra wanting Mahendra Kapoor for his films so Ravi had to take him over his favourite Rafi and there are some producers who like a variety of singers. Shakti Samantha after using Rafi in his previous movies probably did not mind the use of Kishore in Kati Patang since he had become popular with Rajesh Khanna so he decided along with his team including RD to use him for all the songs of Kati Patang and RD may have suggested the use of Mukesh on the basis of "it was created for him" and therefore Mukesh was brought in. This is ofcourse all speculation but going by the look of things, it could have been possible.

I agree, Talat could have been an interesting choice for the Guide songs but there are some factors to consider. Rafi and Dev made a sparkling combination and it would have been hard for SDB to let that go. Furthermore, only Rafi could have done justice to the compositions and not any other singer. Also, Rafi was one a SDB favourite and at that time they were on a high level in terms of their collaboration so there is another reason. Guide was the pinnacle of SDB's career and Rafi played a big part in making the album a classic.

As for Talat with RD, I find that an unusual combination simply because I think Talat would not have suited his style. Even L-P only used Talat once in their whole career in Woh Din Yaad Karo's duet with Lata.

Prince Ali
+Quote Post
tracknest
post Dec 2 2005, 10:53 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

QUOTE(princeali @ Dec 2 2005, 09:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Binod @ Dec 1 2005, 04:08 PM) *

Awaiting comments.

Binod.

Binod ji,

There could be various reasons why Rafi saab did not sing "Jis Gali Mein Tera...". As you mentioned he might have been out of the country for a prolonged period of time and they wanted to record the songs a.s.a.p so they didn't have time to wait.

Secondly, RD may have created this composition with only Mukesh in mind and although at the time RD was not in a position to dictate terms, Shakti Samantha might have given RD complete freedom to do what he thought was best and in this case went along with the idea of using Mukesh.

In the past producers had a big say as to which singer would sing in their films. We've heard stories about BR Chopra wanting Mahendra Kapoor for his films so Ravi had to take him over his favourite Rafi and there are some producers who like a variety of singers. Shakti Samantha after using Rafi in his previous movies probably did not mind the use of Kishore in Kati Patang since he had become popular with Rajesh Khanna so he decided along with his team including RD to use him for all the songs of Kati Patang and RD may have suggested the use of Mukesh on the basis of "it was created for him" and therefore Mukesh was brought in. This is ofcourse all speculation but going by the look of things, it could have been possible.

I agree, Talat could have been an interesting choice for the Guide songs but there are some factors to consider. Rafi and Dev made a sparkling combination and it would have been hard for SDB to let that go. Furthermore, only Rafi could have done justice to the compositions and not any other singer. Also, Rafi was one a SDB favourite and at that time they were on a high level in terms of their collaboration so there is another reason. Guide was the pinnacle of SDB's career and Rafi played a big part in making the album a classic.

As for Talat with RD, I find that an unusual combination simply because I think Talat would not have suited his style. Even L-P only used Talat once in their whole career in Woh Din Yaad Karo's duet with Lata.

Please do forgive me but I am repeating a part of my earlier post.

For listeners like us, it is difficult to analyase a song in terms of its impact, only professional musicians and singers can gauge that aspect. Hence the world of singing is very different for the common listener than most professional MD's and other knownedgeable people who understand the dynamics of music & singing. Our comments and views are motivated by our prefernces not theirs (in most cases).

There are many theories about the above matter but most of them are either erroneous or simply personal opinions.

Eithet RD or SDB could give the correct detail. Thanks to a close Bengali friend, I have the views of RD that he said in one of his last interviews in a local Bangla publication (i dont know which one).

He was asked about Aradhna/kishore/Rafi.

RD: Kishore was a very close friend even before he became popular by his singing. He came to the industry to be a singer. However after struggling to find a career as a singer he opted for acting but singing was always on his mind. Those were the days of Rafi and Mukesh and it was impossible for any singer to get the attention of the MD's or the audience. Although Kishore acted in many films in the 50's, the era of romantic heores in the 60's saw that Kishore was getting few film offers. He tried hard to get back into the singing mode and my father gave him songs frequently specially for Navketan Films. Kishore was dismayed that all his efforts were not getting him any singing assignments and he decided to go back to his home town.

Daddy was composing a very special tune for Aradhna and I said to Kishore not to go back and hold on as he would ask Dada to offer him that song. The song was Roop Tera Mastana. All other songs were to be sung by Rafi Sahab but due to his busy schedule we also offered Kishore Kora Kagaz Tha & Mere Sapon ki.

________________________________________________________________________________
_________

The above was more or less what RD said about Aradhana.

As far Rafi, RD said waht can I say about rafi Sahab, Rafi had nothing to prove he was an icon for all. He was a busy singer and was hard to get him with his busy national and international schedule (Rafi apparently had done more shows than any other singer ). I worked with Rafisaab till the end.

________________________________________________________________________________
_________

IMO with the number of songs he was recording, it was not humanly possible for Rafi to sing just about every song. For a singer that in his own words had sung 25,000 songs till 1969, it would take its toll on anyones health. Singing the way they he did for so many years consistently, meant a lot of exertion on the heart. Many belive that it was a blessing in disguise that Rafi sang less songs in the 70's than in the 60's. He ultimately succumbed to an heart attack and so did Kishore who was diagnosed with the disease as early as 81.This was one of the primary reason for Lata to reduce her singing assigments in late 80's.

Also to add, Rafi did not sing a single song for almost 10 months from 72-73 due to the Haj that he had performed and those were the lean years for him in terms of not singing many songs. That however all changed from 74 onwards and he and Kishore were more or less the core of playback singing in that era.

It was Mukesh and Rafi for most of 50's and 60's and Rafi and Kishore for the 70's. Nothing much had changed for Rafi except that Kishore was now accepted as a singer by both the masses and the MD's.

Just because Kishore did not sing J'is Gali mein', it does not mean it had to be sung by Rafi. RD had Manadey singing for Dharmendra in Seeta aur Geeta, not Rafi or Kishore. He had Mukesh singing Kahin Karti hogi not Kishore or Rafi. He had Rafi singing for Rajesh Khanna in Kahe Ko Bulaya and O tere Athuru and not Kishore.

As I said we can only speculate as common listeners, we dont undersatand the thought process of experts, the MD's and professional singers.

And with all due respects, Talat an interesting choice for Guide songs - no way. Please no more of this.
Talat's voice was good for the slow, low pitch songs of the 40's and most of 50's. He did not have the range or the variety to go beyond that era. Infact no one did except Rafi and to some extent Mukesh who in my view is an unsung hero. 'Kabhi Kabhi mere dil mein' proved that Mukesh too was a singer for all seasons.

Thanks
T

+Quote Post
Binod
post Dec 2 2005, 12:35 PM
Post #21

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Thanks to all who responded so far with their long comments. Thinking and committing those analyses to paper is a time consuming exercise and for a lengthy write-up it is even more so.

I do agree that “Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.” It is not for us to analyze music, which should be left to the musicians/singers and that I feel that I am ludicrously stretching the discussion to speculation. But that is my way of piquing interest and generating discussion. Otherwise we would be either only praising singers or only downloading/uploading since this forum is one for music lovers and not music producers. Since RDB, SDB, Rafi, Talat, Mukesh, Kishore are all long dead there is no way to access them and know the truth. Hence, the speculation based on some clues they left behind. It is like finding out what God did to this earth a million years ago.

With the above preface, let us resume our discussions.

Two of the posts have mentioned about tunes being made with a singer in mind. I am really perplexed. Aren't tunes made with the actors in mind? For example, if the hero was Shammi Kapoor, the MD made tunes going with his persona and all the songs done in his voice, be they sad, happy, funny, and/or classic would be by the voice that best represented him, which was Rafi’s. If the hero was his own brother Raj Kapoor, they made the songs that epitomized his persona and the songs went for his ghost voice, Mukesh, irrespective of the type of song. So in films each singer sings the song with the film star in mind and sings any type of song that goes with the image of the star. Thus, the MD makes the songs with the star in mind and not with the singer in mind.

That is why the Kati Patang songs were made with Rajesh Khanna in mind, not Kishore Kumar or Mukesh or even Rafi in mind. If any singer was chosen the singer had to modulate his voice to dovetail that of Rajesh (high fidelity) as far as possible. This is what differentiates playback singing from singing non-film songs where the singers had the freedom to be themselves.

Rafi was better than all the other singers including female singers in changing his voice to suit the actor's style. This was not only God's gift to him. He would spent hours studying the voice, accent, and pronunciation styles of the actor he was singing for. So the song "Jis Gali Mein" was not made with Mukesh in mind but with Rajesh in mind and I think that Rafi would have reproduced his voice better than Mukesh.

Besides copying the voice of the actors for whom he sang and carving out a distinct style for each actor, Rafi used to try to replicate the voice signature of the MD if the MD sang. For example, he used to sing in a more manly tone for Ravi and in a more effeminate or delicate way for Madan Mohan. His OPN, Naushad, SJ, LP, Roshan songs could easily be recognized as belonging to different MDs, whereas Mukesh would not carry the stamp of the MD and all one could identify was Mukesh himself but not the MD in his songs, because Mukesh would not try to copy any actor’s or MD’s style but would continue to be himself. The only person that he did copy was Saigal in the initial stages of his career. Mukesh was a very good singer but in my opinion a poor playback singer.

Although Rafi’s voice is distinctly his own unique type, I have noticed Rafi sing in other male singers’ styles with voice adjustments. Off the bat some examples that come to mind are: his Kishore style (e.g. film: Pyaasa 1957 = Hum Aap Ki Aankhon Mein) and his Mahendra Kapoor style (e.g. film: Mere Sanam 1965 = Tukde Hai Mere Dil Ke & Bahu Begum 1967 = Ham Intezar Karenge, especially the antara part of this song).

I have heard him sing a number of velvety songs and ghazals in a subdued, soft, and slightly vibratory voice that goes toward the Talat style but I can’t recall which ones right now. Even others analysts before me in other discussion fora have remarked on Rafi’s ability to sing Talat style minus the extreme tremolo that goes with Talat’s voice.

If you recall that the second time Talat sang before Anil Biswas, he did it without the tremolo as some of his well wishers had advised him that his voice was better that way. Anil was very disappointed and asked him what happened to the magic in his voice. I am sure Talat minus the tremolo would have sounded like a Rafi singing in a soft voice over a limited tonal range. Perhaps that is why Anil detested Rafi’s voice. It reminded him of the disappointing experience he had with Talat in his second encounter.

Perhaps the Talat nexus was what made C Ramchandra use Rafi sparingly. Most male songs he would rather sing himself than give them to Rafi. Only the really tough songs were given to Rafi. The simple ones he sang himself. In my opinion his voice was half way between Rafi’s and Talat but not so sweet and rich as that of the Pakistani singer Saleem Raza whose fantastic voice has both some of the good sides of Rafi and Talat. Perhaps, I conjecture that Ramchandra thought himself as a Talat without the tremolo or a Rafi with a limited voice range. That is why he could make do without using Rafi in most male songs.

Last year I heard Rafi sing a song in which he has used more nasal resonance than usual, a bit the way Mukesh did, and I was thinking that I should note the song down for future discussions like this one but forgot to do so. I am sure if I search for several months I should find it. It is not a well known song but Rafi’s voice in Mukesh style is very resonating without being too loud.

Awaiting your remarks.

Binod.

धन्यबाद

विनोद

+Quote Post
tracknest
post Dec 2 2005, 03:04 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

QUOTE(Binod @ Dec 2 2005, 12:35 PM) *

I conjecture that Ramchandra thought himself as a Talat without the tremolo or a Rafi with a limited voice range. That is why he could make do without using Rafi in most male songs.

Binod.

Rafi and limited voice range??? No way my friend.

Rafi raised the benchmark that reamains to date and one of the unique qualities of his voice was his amazing vocal range and variety. That was the most crucial differentiating factor he possesed compared to other singers.

IMO as far as Anil Biswas was concerned it was a matter of prefernce and not the skills of Rafi and that's where the master composer faltered in gauging Rafi. To say he detested Rafi's voice is getting over the top. Anil Biswas in an inteview in 86 clearly said Rafi was a great singer who achieved feats that no one would probably achieve, its just that he thought Rafi's voice did not go well his kind of music.

How wrong he was, listen to the songs Rafi has sung for him and then you will appreciate my comments.

The fact that C Ramchandra approached Rafi for tougher songs shows that he knew what Rafi was capable of. It is understandable that he song the easier songs himself rather than trying to get Rafi in the recording room specially with a busy schedule Rafi had for more than 3 decades.

In late 60's when CR was going through a lean phase, he had to go to Rafi to sing songs of Rootha Na Karo which were not only hugh hit then but heard even today.

It is a bit harsh to single out Mukesh only for not adjusting or varying his voice to suit the stars or the MD's, besides Rafi no one did that anyway.

Thanks
T

+Quote Post
unni
post Dec 2 2005, 07:35 PM
Post #23

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
From: Vaanar Nivas, Tribandar Marg, Bandarabad, MONKEYSTAN.
Member No.: 356

QUOTE(tracknest @ Dec 2 2005, 04:34 AM) *

I conjecture that Ramchandra thought himself as a Talat without the tremolo or a Rafi with a limited voice range. That is why he could make do without using Rafi in most male songs.

Binod.

What Binod-ji meant was that CR imagined himself as a Talat without the tremor in the voice (as Talat-sahab had) and that CR imagined himself as a Rafi but without Rafi-sahab's immense voice range.

The references were to CR and not to the singers.

To the best of my knowledge, in the case of CR it was not that he had a preference for other male singers. Reportedly, they had a falling out, after which Rafi-sahab rarely worked with CR. The story goes that CR entered the industry with the ambition of becoming a singer, but met with little success and then became a music director. Supposedly, during a rehearsal he addressed a rude remark to Rafi-sahab that after acquiring fame and wealth the singer was not inclined to work hard. This was interpreted as jealousy on the part of the MD-cum-singer-wannabe, and led to their distancing from each other.

If you stop trying to make sense of it all, you'll be less confused. Reality is an illusion.
+Quote Post
Binod
post Dec 3 2005, 11:20 PM
Post #24

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(unni @ Dec 2 2005, 10:05 AM) *

Binod.

What Binod-ji meant was that CR imagined himself as a Talat without the tremor in the voice (as Talat-sahab had) and that CR imagined himself as a Rafi but without Rafi-sahab's immense voice range.

Unni:

Just call me Binod without the Ji. Thank you for your clarification on my behlaf. Although I strive to be articulate I do not always succeed. At least you seem to understand me — perhaps some resonance of ideas here.

Thanks for the extra information on CR. It seems to me that CR was a highly complex man with strong ambitions but not succeeding in both his singing career front ( I do not recall another MD than himslef who used him as a singer) and love affairs (with the current 76 year old grand lady, who not only jilted him but made sure that no public credit was given to him when she sang "Aye Mere Watan" in a live performance).

My intention in singling out Mukesh here was purely contextual since we were talking about "Jis Gale Mein" and he happened to be the singer there. Yes, only Rafi had pefected the skills to alter his voice according to the demands made on it. But later on in his career, also Kishore started to inject more variety in his voice as he was getting better by the day. Perhaps success was a great motivating factor here.

Thanks.

Binod.

धन्यबाद

विनोद

+Quote Post
maheshks
post Dec 4 2005, 01:24 AM
Post #25

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1790

QUOTE(tracknest @ Dec 2 2005, 07:33 AM) *

Mahesh ji

Talat Mahmood was the hero of the movie and I have seen the film. I would be shocked if I was wrong on this. Who was it piturised on then?

It was BIKRAM KAPOOR.

Here is a video clip :

When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others
+Quote Post
tracknest
post Dec 4 2005, 02:45 AM
Post #26

Group Icon

QUOTE(unni @ Dec 2 2005, 07:35 PM) *

Binod.

To the best of my knowledge, in the case of CR it was not that he had a preference for other male singers. Reportedly, they had a falling out, after which Rafi-sahab rarely worked with CR. The story goes that CR entered the industry with the ambition of becoming a singer, but met with little success and then became a music director. Supposedly, during a rehearsal he addressed a rude remark to Rafi-sahab that after acquiring fame and wealth the singer was not inclined to work hard. This was interpreted as jealousy on the part of the MD-cum-singer-wannabe, and led to their distancing from each other.

Unni ji, thanks for the clarification, Binodji, I got you. Mahesh Bhai thanks for the clip, I do appologise for this accidental error. Maheshji are you able to upload the full video or the full song in a C quality.

Regards
T

+Quote Post
shrikant21120
post Dec 4 2005, 05:00 AM
Post #27

Group Icon

Member No.: 237

QUOTE(AzgarKhan @ Nov 30 2005, 04:59 PM) *

This is the Part - 2 of the song - A slightly different version sung by Talat Mehmood again.

Coutesy: HF

That was a rare treat and must say talat has sung it quite well. after all he was a class act as well!
+Quote Post
princeali
post Dec 4 2005, 09:00 AM
Post #28

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 134

QUOTE(tracknest @ Dec 2 2005, 12:23 AM) *

Please do forgive me but I am repeating a part of my earlier post.

For listeners like us, it is difficult to analyase a song in terms of its impact, only professional musicians and singers can gauge that aspect. Hence the world of singing is very different for the common listener than most professional MD's and other knownedgeable people who understand the dynamics of music & singing. Our comments and views are motivated by our prefernces not theirs (in most cases).

There are many theories about the above matter but most of them are either erroneous or simply personal opinions.

Eithet RD or SDB could give the correct detail. Thanks to a close Bengali friend, I have the views of RD that he said in one of his last interviews in a local Bangla publication (i dont know which one).

He was asked about Aradhna/kishore/Rafi.

RD: Kishore was a very close friend even before he became popular by his singing. He came to the industry to be a singer. However after struggling to find a career as a singer he opted for acting but singing was always on his mind. Those were the days of Rafi and Mukesh and it was impossible for any singer to get the attention of the MD's or the audience. Although Kishore acted in many films in the 50's, the era of romantic heores in the 60's saw that Kishore was getting few film offers. He tried hard to get back into the singing mode and my father gave him songs frequently specially for Navketan Films. Kishore was dismayed that all his efforts were not getting him any singing assignments and he decided to go back to his home town.

Daddy was composing a very special tune for Aradhna and I said to Kishore not to go back and hold on as he would ask Dada to offer him that song. The song was Roop Tera Mastana. All other songs were to be sung by Rafi Sahab but due to his busy schedule we also offered Kishore Kora Kagaz Tha & Mere Sapon ki.

_________

The above was more or less what RD said about Aradhana.

As far Rafi, RD said waht can I say about rafi Sahab, Rafi had nothing to prove he was an icon for all. He was a busy singer and was hard to get him with his busy national and international schedule (Rafi apparently had done more shows than any other singer ). I worked with Rafisaab till the end.

_________

IMO with the number of songs he was recording, it was not humanly possible for Rafi to sing just about every song. For a singer that in his own words had sung 25,000 songs till 1969, it would take its toll on anyones health. Singing the way they he did for so many years consistently, meant a lot of exertion on the heart. Many belive that it was a blessing in disguise that Rafi sang less songs in the 70's than in the 60's. He ultimately succumbed to an heart attack and so did Kishore who was diagnosed with the disease as early as 81.This was one of the primary reason for Lata to reduce her singing assigments in late 80's.

Also to add, Rafi did not sing a single song for almost 10 months from 72-73 due to the Haj that he had performed and those were the lean years for him in terms of not singing many songs. That however all changed from 74 onwards and he and Kishore were more or less the core of playback singing in that era.

It was Mukesh and Rafi for most of 50's and 60's and Rafi and Kishore for the 70's. Nothing much had changed for Rafi except that Kishore was now accepted as a singer by both the masses and the MD's.

Just because Kishore did not sing J'is Gali mein', it does not mean it had to be sung by Rafi. RD had Manadey singing for Dharmendra in Seeta aur Geeta, not Rafi or Kishore. He had Mukesh singing Kahin Karti hogi not Kishore or Rafi. He had Rafi singing for Rajesh Khanna in Kahe Ko Bulaya and O tere Athuru and not Kishore.

As I said we can only speculate as common listeners, we dont undersatand the thought process of experts, the MD's and professional singers.

And with all due respects, Talat an interesting choice for Guide songs - no way. Please no more of this.
Talat's voice was good for the slow, low pitch songs of the 40's and most of 50's. He did not have the range or the variety to go beyond that era. Infact no one did except Rafi and to some extent Mukesh who in my view is an unsung hero. 'Kabhi Kabhi mere dil mein' proved that Mukesh too was a singer for all seasons.

Thanks
T

Track, I mentioned that Rafi saab could only have sung the songs of Guide and no one could have done justice to them. When I mentioned Talat being interesting, I only mentioned it strictly from a Dev Anand point of view in the sense he had sung for the hero previously. SDB was the master in creating songs to suit a singer. Hence we have Hemant in the sixties with Baat Ek Raat Ki's "Na Tum Hamein Jano" and we know Hemant was no patch on Rafi in that era, but the song was excellent even though his voice didn't suit everyone, and Madan Mohan using Talat as late as 64 in Jahan Ara. So if we had Talat coming in for Dev in the sixties, it would have been suited to his style. Ofcourse the Guide songs as we know them today could not have been sung by Talat or for that matter anyone else, but if they were composed for him keeping in mind Dev's image and strictly to suit his voice, it would have been different. My apoligies for not mentioning it before.

As for Aradhna, Amit Kumar gave a different version from RD's story and Raju Bharatan who had personal associations with the Burmans also had different views so all we have are their comments and not one solid version of the situation. As Binod ji mentioned, it is hard for us to find out the exact truth and we have to go by their clues. As much as Rafi was busy, RD only had one singer in mind to take center stage in his music room after he could dictate terms, and that was Kishore. Rafi and others came second when it came to his preferred male voice, but its ironic that Rafi was the very person who helped RD rise to fame and glory with his late sixties to early seventies releases.

Binod ji, I still think "Jis Gali Mein..." was meant with Mukesh in mind keeping the sombre type of his voice in mind and not Rajesh Khanna. Most MD's of that time kept a singer in mind when creating a song and that is how they would compose the tune and the melody of the song, so IMO I think RD tuned to this song to his voice. RD in his career showed a preference for a particular singer which would suit the style of the song. As Track mentioned, we have Rafi coming in for the Kishore-bhakt Rajesh Khanna in Humshakal's "Kahe Ko Bulaya..." and Bhupinder coming in for Jeetendra in Kinara's "Naam Gum Jaayega.." or his duet with Lata "Bite Na Bitaai Raina...", and for these songs RD had Bhupinder in mind.

There is also a rumour that RD wanted to give "Mere Naina Sawan Bhadon..." to Rafi but Rajesh Khanna persuaded him to give it to Kishore. All this is once again just rumours and no one really knows the truth unless you talk to someone who was associated with those great artists.

As for C. Ramachandra, he was of the view that no singer, not even Rafi or Lata could give 100% to his compositions. But he was a marvelous composer and many rated him amongst the vert best. In fact Shankar even rated him better than SD Burman and Shankar had a very high regard and respect for SD.

Prince Ali
+Quote Post
sri
post Dec 8 2005, 10:06 AM
Post #29

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2760

Many thanks to Shahrukh3K and Azghar for the uploads of Talat's version of Chal udja re panchhi - from the archives of HF !!

Sri

"Jis din is duniya se nafrat aur khudgarzi mit jaayegi, us roz yeh insaan naachega, us roz yeh dharti gaayegi" - Rajinder Krishan (Maa baap 1959)
+Quote Post
pradeepasrani
post Dec 9 2005, 12:13 AM
Post #30

Group Icon

Member No.: 634

QUOTE(shrikant21120 @ Dec 4 2005, 06:00 AM) *

QUOTE(AzgarKhan @ Nov 30 2005, 04:59 PM) *

This is the Part - 2 of the song - A slightly different version sung by Talat Mehmood again.

Coutesy: HF

That was a rare treat and must say talat has sung it quite well. after all he was a class act as well!

The story that I am aware of about Rafi being preferred to Talat in Chal Ud Ja Re Panchhi relates to the "Aalap" at the conclusion of the song. In the scene in which Nanda is seen leaving Jagdeep and boarding the train, the director felt the need of an Alaap in the backgrpound to enhance the effect of separation of brother and sister. both Rajinder Krishan and Chitragupt felt that Talat will not be able to do justice to this requirement. That's where the choice of the singer inevitably fell upon Rafi. So when you listen to Talat's version, there is no Alaap, while Rafi's version ends gloriously with one of the best concluding Aalaps that you would ever here in a Hindi film song.

Pradeep
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 22nd June 2024 - 10:33 PM