Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Before Sunrise(1995) / Before Sunset(2004)

8 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Before Sunrise(1995) / Before Sunset(2004)
Nidhi
post Mar 23 2008, 10:14 AM
Post #46

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6496

Thanks to all the contributors of the thread and Nidhi for initiating this, read all the new additions with great interest.

You are welcome, anytime.

Have any of you seen the movie 'The Four Feathers'(2002) directed by Shekhar Kapur? I presume it may be a good one.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.The voice of the majority is no proof of justice."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nidhi
post Mar 23 2008, 05:54 PM
Post #47

Group Icon

Return To Me(2000): That is one beautiful romantic comedy. It has some very touching moments too. I saw it again on cable . It stars David Duchovny (X Files fame) & Minnie Driver. Definitely worth watching. Watch it with your partner, you'll enjoy it.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.The voice of the majority is no proof of justice."
+Quote Post
mmuk2004
post Mar 23 2008, 07:34 PM
Post #48

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 907

QUOTE(Nidhi @ Mar 22 2008, 11:44 PM) *

Have any of you seen the movie 'The Four Feathers'(2002) directed by Shekhar Kapur? I presume it may be a good one.

Alas, yes I have. Against all the bad reviews, I chose to go and watch it in the theatre(don't ask me how it managed to get a commercial release in the US) because there is always a little something in his movies that makes them different. It was terribly boring and I could not figure out a single reason why he would have made it. I have not read Mason's book and I do not know much about the context or the historical background so I may have missed the bus altogether.

"This isn't right, this isn't even wrong."
Wolfgang Pauli (1900-1958)

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

+Quote Post
YaarMere
post Mar 24 2008, 05:35 AM
Post #49

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 5

Madz have you read any of those Golden Compass books?

IPB Image
+Quote Post
YaarMere
post Mar 24 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #50

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

The above is an open Q now... any1 can answer.

Has any1 even seen the film?

IPB Image
+Quote Post
mmuk2004
post Mar 24 2008, 09:10 PM
Post #51

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(YaarMere @ Mar 23 2008, 07:05 PM) *

Madz have you read any of those Golden Compass books?

No I have not. Have you seen the movie?

+Quote Post
YaarMere
post Mar 25 2008, 07:00 PM
Post #52

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

I have. I came home after watching this at pictures and downloaded the audio book.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
mmuk2004
post Mar 25 2008, 09:22 PM
Post #53

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Hmm.... maybe I should try out these audio books too, have never really tried them. I can listen to them on my long drives. Was thinking of putting those books on my reading list for Summer. They sound interesting...Parallel universes and animal spirits... As usual, critics have found the movie flat in comparison to the books. You must have found the movie interesting to have downloaded the audio.

Pullman had decided on Nicole Kidman as the "vamp" ten years before the movie went into production, and Kidman, after initially rejecting the role, decided to take it up when she received a personal letter from Pullman. By the way, Tom Stoppard was originally commissioned to write the script for the film but his script was rejected( ohmy.gif ) and Chris Weitz was hired to write it from scratch. Weitz, a fan of Stoppard did not read Stoppard's script, so that he might not subconsciously take things from his script. Wonder what the movie would have been with Stoppard's script.

One of the controversies surrounding the film is that it promotes atheism amongst kids. Roger Ebert, a fairly well known critic in the US found it more complex and satisfying than the Ring trilogy.

Did you like the film?

This post has been edited by mmuk2004: Mar 26 2008, 08:32 PM

+Quote Post
YaarMere
post Mar 25 2008, 11:44 PM
Post #54

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

There are 3 parts to the book. I cudnt find the 2nd n 3rd parts but through sum blog I did find out the ending of the 3rd book. They kill God. Yes, they kill God and recreate Eden. The 2 children procreate. Thats no work of an atheist.

Spirits are described as demons in the film n book.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Nidhi
post Mar 27 2008, 02:07 PM
Post #55

Group Icon

Stardust(2007): The movie has everything in it that makes it enjoyable & entertaining. Great visuals. Even in a bit role Robert De Niro performs well. Michele Pfeiffer still looks as beautiful as ever, doesn't show her age. Entertainment for the whole family.

The Scent of a Woman(1992). I had seen this a long time back & i saw it again on cable. That's a great movie. Al Pacino all the way through, acting par excellence. He has performed the blind Lt. Colonel's role with great perfection & finesse. It makes one think how much of time he must have spent to observe & practice a blind person's daily routine. Imagine a blind man doing the Tango with a lovely lady, that's a lovely picturization in the movie. Some of the dialogues in the school trial at the end are awesome. The movie may be slow but truly class stuff.

This post has been edited by Nidhi: Mar 27 2008, 02:08 PM

+Quote Post
Nidhi
post Mar 28 2008, 04:23 PM
Post #56

Group Icon

Parzania: Just watched the English version of this dramatic movie. Based on a true story, it shows what communal hatred & discord can do to the peaceful co-existence of religious communities. Of course, it does need an abetting & conniving administration. Though one may find it a little slow & sometimes depressing, the movie unfurls some of the dramatic & violent incidents of Gujarat 2002 quite realistically. Writer/Director Rahul Dholakia has done a good job of maintaining the viewers interest. Naseeruddin Shah & Sarika have performed well. American TV actor Corin Nemec as Allan the research student has performed fairly well. A movie worth watching.

P.S. This being an English version, i had to post the review here.

+Quote Post
YaarMere
post Mar 28 2008, 11:04 PM
Post #57

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

This is England 9/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480025/

"Run with the crowd, stand alone, you decide."

About a troubled boy growing up in Yorkshire in the eighties during the Falklands war. Personally I think its abt children who come from broken families and how it F up their future.

This black kid is there tellin his family story kinda thing, like how his dad works every hour of the week to keep food on the table and how his mum cooks, cleans and you know, bring the rest of the family up... this skinhead guy is there listening to all this and you can tell that he's gettin furious over how good this black kid has it compared to him, him being a bas*ard not a clue where his mother is or knowing any kinship at all he finally breaks n beats the poor black kid to death.

This is funny a little. The kid who plays the lead role in the film goes into a shop and says:

Give me a 100 fags, bottle of whisky, 10 cans of lager and sum cider(the shopkeeper knows him, same neck of the hood so he threatens to tell his mum if he doesnt leave to which the kids goes...) just give me wot I want you Paki bas*ard! Its just the way he said it... so funny.

This post has been edited by YaarMere: Mar 28 2008, 11:20 PM

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Nidhi
post Mar 31 2008, 02:27 PM
Post #58

Group Icon

The Golden Compass: The movie is in the same genre as the Harry Potter series. Too much of the same thing becomes repetitive. The kids will like it. Not my cup of tea though.

Vantage Point: An interesting thriller. Nothing great, but it is ok. Dennis Quaid acts in the movie.

+Quote Post
YaarMere
post Mar 31 2008, 04:06 PM
Post #59

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - 2 brothers decide to rob their parents jewellery store and things dont turn out well. The film is a little slow paced but other than that it is really outstanding! *ring Philip Seymour Hoffman and Ethan Hawke. I rate Hoffman... guy is a quality actor.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
YaarMere
post Mar 31 2008, 04:19 PM
Post #60

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Nidhi @ Mar 31 2008, 09:57 AM) *

The Golden Compass

Wot did you make of the UN, sorry, I mean the Magisterium in the film?

IPB Image
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:29 PM