Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Malayalam

, a language of God's own country!

24 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Malayalam, a language of God's own country!
unni
post Jul 3 2005, 06:01 PM
Post #61

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
From: Vaanar Nivas, Tribandar Marg, Bandarabad, MONKEYSTAN.
Member No.: 356

QUOTE(priya @ Jul 3 2005, 04:32 AM)
Could not write concede in Malayalam, eh?  tongue.gif
Oh well neither can I.  laugh.gif Vittutarunnu? Vittukodukkunnu? Not official terminology that. sad1.gif What would round be?  unsure.gif Vattom!!!!  rollf.gif
But this round wunly? Pishukan aanu alle?
Enikkittu--literally 'for me'--colloquially enikkittu vechittundu would be 'he has it in store for me'.
Guru ko pranam karo bete.
Oops! Mashene namaskarikyu mone Unni!!!!  tongue.gif

PS: Unni aren't we a pitiful pair of Mallus keeping the flag flying and the torch burning and all that?  laugh.gif

"Vittutarunnu" and "Vittukodukkunnu" would both pass. Think so also "vattom" --- for example a meal course is called "vattom". But I would've used "enikku vendi" --- am not familiar with "enikkittu". Hope Shyam or Lata will clarify.

BTW, isn't "maashu" masculine gender? At least in commonly spoken language, I think the English word "teacher" is usually used to denote a female instructor.

I once said to a Malayalam expert that there is no word in the language for "snow". He pulled out a huge dictionary and came up with some words, not of them very convincing! Words like 'pani' (pronounced the same as the word for 'fever') which means dew/mist.

P.S. In my case the flag-flying will be at half-mast. sad1.gif

If you stop trying to make sense of it all, you'll be less confused. Reality is an illusion.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Priya
post Jul 3 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #62

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 25

QUOTE(unni @ Jul 3 2005, 06:01 PM)
"Vittutarunnu" and "Vittukodukkunnu" would both pass. Think so also "vattom" --- for example a meal course is called "vattom". But I would've used "enikku vendi" --- am not familiar with "enikkittu". Hope Shyam or Lata will clarify.

Dunno about 'vattom' excatly for round like in a boxing match. Might pass. But 'enikkittu' is fine. Colloquial as I said. Easy speaking.

BTW, isn't "maashu" masculine gender? At least in commonly spoken language, I think the English word "teacher" is usually used to denote a female instructor.

Ya masha is usually a man but equality ka zamana hai. tongue.gif
Oh I hate the usage teachereeee. Time the vocabulary was enhanced. laugh.gif

I once said to a Malayalam expert that there is no word in the language for "snow". He pulled out a huge dictionary and came up with some words, not of them very convincing! Words like 'pani' (pronounced the same as the word for 'fever') which means dew/mist.

Dew is mannja right? Can hima be used for snow or is that sanskrit in origin? Me getting deeper into the mire with my guesses. tongue.gif

P.S. In my case the flag-flying will be at half-mast. sad1.gif

Why is that? unsure.gif

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Lata
post Jul 3 2005, 08:04 PM
Post #63

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 69

I think Vattom is round...........saddi vattom wud be a meal course.. [ or people sitting in a circle to eat saddi tongue.gif ].........we use both ennikittu and enikkuvendi.......colloquial as Priya said...........ennikittu is used when I have to say "With Me" and enikkuvendi for " For me "
+Quote Post
Priya
post Jul 3 2005, 08:11 PM
Post #64

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lata @ Jul 3 2005, 08:04 PM)
I think Vattom is round...........saddi vattom wud be a meal course.. [ or people sitting in a circle to eat saddi tongue.gif  ].........we use both ennikittu and enikkuvendi.......colloquial as Priya said...........ennikittu is used when I have to say "With Me" and enikkuvendi for " For me "

I have also heard vattom being used in the context of immediate time, like in 'this time'.
It is often confusing with so many dialectal forms or regional forms of the language even in such a tiny state like Kerala.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Jul 4 2005, 12:38 PM
Post #65

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2035

QUOTE(priya @ Jul 3 2005, 01:04 PM)
Ayyo Shyam panditan alla--Malayala vidhooshi ennu parayu.
Unni endu parayan aa? Ivide enne tholpikyan pattathathu karanam, veire forumil enikkittu vechittundavum. Pakshe nyanum vittukodikkilla!!! poseur.gif

Ayyo......Nyaano??? Endu Parayunnu??? ohmy.gif blink.gif Nyaan valya saadhaarna Oru Paavapatta Jantu aane...... baby.gif Enniki Attrayokka Malayalam arinyooda.....Ippo tanne Padikyunnu.... smile.gif Koracha Koracha.....Ingene angene...... Oppichu varunnadaa........ smile1.gif

btw....I too am of the opinion that 'Enikkitu' is more of a 'local' usage for a similar meaning to 'Enikki Vendi' or 'For me'....

And Priya......yes.....you are right......so many 'regional' varieties of the same language......Really interesting......Well......its not only the case in Kerala....but also.....other states like Maharashtra......(Many forms of Marathi)........And a typical case to quote would be.....the Innumerable forms of Hindi you can find in Mumbai!!!!!!! smile1.gif clap1.gif

Love Music....... LOVE GK
+Quote Post
unni
post Jul 4 2005, 12:47 PM
Post #66

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(gkshyam @ Jul 4 2005, 03:08 AM)
And a typical case to quote would be.....the Innumerable forms of Hindi you can find in Mumbai!!!!!!! smile1.gif clap1.gif [/b][/color]

Appan ko na tere ko na maarna maangtha hai. rollf.gif Idu Malayalam allalo! doh.gif

If you stop trying to make sense of it all, you'll be less confused. Reality is an illusion.
+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Jul 4 2005, 01:12 PM
Post #67

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Hehehe......Idu Malayaalam allaa.... Hehhee:)

Btw....Unni Ji.....that was one of the more 'decent' versions of Hindi that I've heard!!! tongue.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Priya
post Jul 4 2005, 01:18 PM
Post #68

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Actually when I visited Mumbai I could hardly understand the Hindi that was spoken. Same with Hyderabad. Haridwar was different thankfully.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Jul 4 2005, 03:19 PM
Post #69

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Yes Priya.....quite different colloquial usage..tones...accents...words.... everything.....the regional differences affecting the language in a big way.... wink2.gif

Btw......the whole of HYD follows the same Hindi....(the kind of Mehmood hindi used by him in some of the movies.....) but within one single city of Mumbai......you can find many different types of Hindi spoken at diff places/ppl etc.

+Quote Post
Priya
post Jul 4 2005, 06:00 PM
Post #70

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Ayyo pakshe nammal endina Hindi-ine kurachu samsarikyunne? Nammale ividenu odikyandathaanu pakshe poochene aaru mani kettum? tongue.gif

IPB Image
+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Jul 4 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #71

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Mani kettaan Poocha evideya??? wink2.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Priya
post Jul 5 2005, 12:56 AM
Post #72

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Nyaan undallo. Enne ellarum poocha ennanu villikyunathu. Enniku 30 poocha undayirunu pazheya veettil. Ippol 3 undu.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
unni
post Jul 5 2005, 01:09 AM
Post #73

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Adey! abuse.gif Ningaldey poochagaley patti arriyan aanu nengalku thidikkam. angry2.gif

+Quote Post
Lata
post Jul 5 2005, 01:20 AM
Post #74

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 69

ende amme ohmy.gif muppadu poochas cool.gif ende Ritukutti wudnt mind staying with Priya forever smile1.gif
+Quote Post
unni
post Jul 5 2005, 01:22 AM
Post #75

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Priya:

Lata ningale vilikkunnu. laugh.gif

+Quote Post

24 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 19th June 2024 - 08:44 AM