Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Lata Mangeshkar On Asha Bhosle

, MUST READ (if U have not already :P )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lata Mangeshkar On Asha Bhosle, MUST READ (if U have not already :P )
Priya
post Sep 13 2005, 12:03 AM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
Member No.: 25

This one is a must read. I am sure most of the members have read it but it is a very nice piece. Very informative and gives a different insight into the relations between the sisters.

Bin sune rahaa nahin jaaye re

Author: Lata Mangeshkar
Translated by Dr. Veena Nayak.

The following is a translation of a chapter from Phule Vechita. The book is not an autobiography in the strictest sense of the term; it is a collection of articles penned by Lata since 1952. The editorial effort is by Madhuvanti Sapre and Dinkar Gangal. My only peeve regarding this book is the complete lack of bibliographical information (other than authorship) on these writings. Details such as dates, sources, etc. would have been useful in placing these compositions in a critical context. Instead, we have to make do with the sycophantic dribble of the editors going gaga over Didi.

The 125-page book comprises of eighteen chapters. I have chosen the one titled, "Relations in Melody; Melody in Relations" (believe me, it does not sound trite in Marathi). There is indeed a faint odour of the (in)famous sibling rivalry. However, the lasting impression that one comes away with is that of cherished bond between a fond elder sister, and an extremely endearing, generous younger sister. Therein lies the charm of this piece for me. I hope it is not lost in the translation.

I was very young when Baba admitted me in school. The school was nice. Situated near the Murlidhar temple. I went on my first day. The teacher was really typical. Donning the brahman-style pagdi and a shawl, he made us write "ShrigaNeshAya namah" on our slates. I wrote it; he was happy and congratulated me. "Ten marks to you", he said.

I came home joyous and the next day, I took Asha to school with me. The teacher was furious and said, "She is too young. She cannot sit in the class". I got very angry and, returning home, said to Mai, "I am not going to school again". "Why? What happened?", Mai enquired. "The master won't let Asha sit in class and that I simply cannot tolerate."

I had to leave school for good. I remember some events from childhood. Some have been forgotten. But I do remember that Asha was nicely plump and extremely naughty. Once Meena and I were standing on a stool, trying to get at some spicy edibles stored away by Mai. Asha came on the scene and said, "I haven't eaten any of it, ok?"

Due to the drama company, we used to stock plenty of milk at home. Asha would eat all the cream. So what if she wiped her mouth clean? She would have some spilt on her feet. Then Mai would punch her on the back.

Right from the beginning, Asha took great pleasure in household tasks. She would massage Baba and Mai's feet every night. Any chore, whether she was assigned to it or not: washing, cleaning dishes, sweeping...Asha would cheerfully perform it. Later, when we moved to Kolhapur, our house was on the second floor. Everyday she would draw bucket after bucket of water from the well and fill it at home.
Around 1946-47, we moved to Bombay's Nana Chowk. At that time, Asha's avtaar was that of a tomboy. Donning a khaki shirt, khaki pant and topi, she would gather all the children of Nana Chowk and parade with them. There used to be a dharamshala adjacent to the Shankarshet temple. After our company closed down, we used to stay there. In the temple yard, Asha would teach the children to parade. She used two words: Attention and Shoe Mart. She used to think that she had issued very important orders and if the kids made mistakes, the fisticuffs would begin.

Asha's schooling too came to an abrupt end. Her teacher once got angry with her. She was so furious that she slapped his face. She never went to school after that.
Asha married at the age of fourteen. We were all opposed to it. I even beat her up and she left home in anger. Mai and everyone else at home were very upset. Asha began living in Borivili. Hence our relations were almost severed for quite a few years. Subsequently, I heard that she had started playback singing. Earlier on, Asha had sung with me for the film, "Mazhe Baal" in 1943. But none of us had ever imagined that she would become a singer. (** Following her marriage **), I had seen her in the studios a couple of times. But she didn't speak to us. Because her husband did not approve of it. In that same period, we sang five to seven duets. But she would be very fearful of speaking due to Bhosle's presence outside. One day he was absent, so I said, "Let's go to drink coffee". We went and I realized that Asha did not have a single penny in her purse. I was shocked. It meant that she did not enjoy any sort of economic independence.

We used to hear from outside sources that Asha was being made to record as many as three, four songs from morning to evening. He would take her by train from Borivili to various studios for sittings with music directors, and after returning home at night, it was "cook thhis, cook that".... He really ill-treated Asha. I even heard from a chorus girl that she was recording even a few hours before Hemant was born. We were unable to protest and since she had left in a huff after fighting with us, she felt that she could not return home without losing face. Eventually, this period ended and we bought houses adjacent to each other.

Regarding Asha's singing talents, I must say that there is no other artist as versatile as she is. In the earlier stages, she would sing without properly opening her mouth. Hence her voice and enunciation were totally different. Today if you listen to the first three or four records of hers, you will not recognize them as Asha Bhosle's voice. Perhaps she did not receive appropriate guidance. Asha told me that she observed the singing styles of Shamshad and Geeta and thereby found defects in her own singing. She then decided that she must change her own style.

After that she started getting assignments with excellent music directors. Music is such that the more one sings and the more varied the music directors that one learns from, the more one's voice develops. It also builds experience and
self-confidence.

Asha's voice soon gained firmness and weight. The credit goes to her nature. She is never willing to accept that she may not be able to perform a particular feat. All of us Mangeshkars possess this trait, but in Asha's case it is more pronounced. Muslim students learning classical music from the ustads are persistent in their pursuit of a particular skill. This is true in Asha's case as well.

She is extremely stubborn. Whenever she had cold, cough or fever, I would tell her not to go (** for recordings **). She would agree. But half an hour later, when I asked, "Where's Asha?", I would find out that she had gone for recording. This happened several times. I am not like that. It is all right if one is unable to sing properly in front of fifty people. But tomorrow, fifty thousand people are going to hear it and what if they call you names? This thought makes me cautious. But Asha goes, because she gives an excellent recording even though it may take more time. For many people, I would consider such stubbornness to be a fault. But in Asha's case, it is indeed a virtue.

As I said, Asha can sing all types of songs very well. However, western style songs or semi-classical qawwalis fit her voice perfectly.

Many of Asha's Marathi songs have become famous. Even though I do not like lavani, Asha's "Bugadi majhi" from Sangtye Aika is a very nice song, which she has rendered in an incomparable manner.

She has sung all of Baal's songs very well. Firstly, all of those songs have beautiful poetry. Secondly, Baal's semi-classical tunes and thirdly, Baal's expertise in extracting whatever he wants from a singer. Moreover, he never felt that Lata-Asha are his elder sisters and that there is no need to make them redo small things over and over again.

Besides Baal, Asha has sung a lot of songs for Sudhir Phadke. Those songs were very successful and are very sweet. However, I feel that she has imitated Babuji (** Sudhir Phadke **) in those songs. She had no choice as he made her sing the way he wanted to. When Babuji himself sings, the songs sound sweet because his voice is suited to that style. Asha would sing in her own style for Vasant Prabhu, Vasant Pawar, Baa Palsule, Srinivas Khale or Datta Dawjekar. If she had done the same with Sudhir Phadke, those songs would have been more beautiful. Anyway, this is my opinion and observation, because I listen with minute attention.

In the field of Hindi music, two composers suited her very well. OP and RD. Her voice was utilized very well in "Jaiye aap kahaan", "yeh hai reshmi zulfon ka andhera" and the songs that she has sung for Pancham are all excellent. All songs from Teesri Manzil are among my favourites. She has also sung well for Roshan and Salil Chowdhury (whose tunes are difficult, with many highs and lows) and again, for Baal in "Prarthana" and "Lekin". Although she has sung for all music directors, her songs with Jaidev and Khaiyyam are in a class of their own. She has poured her soul in them.

Now I feel that she should be a little choosy. There is no need to sing everything just because she can sing and the offers come in. I have decided to sing only for about 4-5 music directors with whom I get along and who have been producing good music.

Nowadays, she performs in Marathi programmes with Baal and those are highly successful. Of course, receiving live appreciation from an audience is very pleasing to any artist. But I keep telling both of them not to overdo it. Otherwise, people will say, "No problem even if we miss this program. We can catch another one in five days". People should be left wanting for more. Only then will it be valued.

Asha's tolerance is endless. She deeply loves all of us and the children and comes running to help in times of need. She is complete as a mother. And as I mentioned before, she takes immense joy in serving family members. Even after recording for the entire day, she is eager to cook various dishes for the children in the evening.

If I have to find fault with her, then it is that she is over-imaginative. She unnecessarily gets affected by trivial things and broods over them and thus upsets herself. She is moody too. Her mercurial temper rises as quickly as it falls.
Since we are sisters, all this praise may be viewed as hollow. But I have only sincerely said what I perceive to be Asha's strengths and weaknesses. Truly!

IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Sep 13 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2035

Wow Priya!!!! clap1.gif Thanks so much for this article.....got it saved to my PC...... thumbs-up.gif Very good reading.....Thanks again!!! bow.gif smile1.gif

Love Music....... LOVE GK
+Quote Post
sri
post Sep 13 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2760

QUOTE(priya @ Sep 13 2005, 12:03 AM)
This one is a must read. I am sure most of the members have read it but it is a very nice piece. Very informative and gives a different insight into the relations between the sisters.

Excellent one - Priya. Enjoyed reading it !
Thanks

Sri

"Jis din is duniya se nafrat aur khudgarzi mit jaayegi, us roz yeh insaan naachega, us roz yeh dharti gaayegi" - Rajinder Krishan (Maa baap 1959)
+Quote Post
visuja
post Sep 13 2005, 06:57 AM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2745

Nice one Priya clap1.gif Thanks. and bow.gif bow.gif to the two sisters smile1.gif

Any more articles from the same book? Should make for interesting reading, I believe. : )
+Quote Post
Priya
post Sep 13 2005, 10:32 AM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 25

I have a folder with Lata articles. Lemme check. But I do not think so.
I do not even know the site where I got this from. sad1.gif

IPB Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:54 AM