Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Live Recording Of An Upcoming Fusion Band

, KASP - Instrumental Fusion

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Live Recording Of An Upcoming Fusion Band, KASP - Instrumental Fusion
gkshyam
post Jul 13 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #31

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
Member No.: 2035

I know...this must be troublesome for you.......But...first of all....I was very keen on learning the Hindustani style........Second....I agree the swaras are same in both systems.......so why not learn from my dad.....the basics.......(since he's completed more than the beginner's level......1.5 yrs into it now....)

But...the problem is.....my dad's tooooooooooooo busy a man...for me to sit and learn ....After lot of coaxing ..one fine day.....I made him teach me a bit......I progressed upto Sa-Re-Ga......(3 notes!! Gr888 na??? tongue.gif) But after that....(that was loooong ago) we never sat together..or discussed flute......he's too busy.....with all his work....infact...he himself hasn't gone for his classes for about a month now......due to excessive work load.....So..I lost all hopes of learning from him..... sad1.gif And....hence......I tried learning it from you ...Infact.....to be honest....I've completely forgotten those 3 notes too...that I had learnt then from him......

I think it would be a much better and easier option for both of us...If I get another flute (6/7 holed)??? Then your already taxed brain won't be taxed as much.....And my lessons can also progress.......What say??? smile1.gif

Love Music....... LOVE GK
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bibhas
post Jul 13 2005, 11:38 PM
Post #32

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1314

QUOTE(gkshyam @ Jul 13 2005, 01:56 PM)
I think it would be a much better and easier option for both of us...If I get another flute (6/7 holed)??? Then your already taxed brain won't be taxed as much.....And my lessons can also progress.......What say??? smile1.gif

That would definitely be easier for me, especially since you eventually have to buy a 6/7 hole flute anyway. Just keep one thing in mind though, make sure you buy a flute that is well tuned and all notes are in key- a lot of the cheap stuff is just that, cheap stuff. Make sure you go to a reputed shop and get someone to play it for you and you can listen and make sure they are in tune. Meanwhile, keep trying to get the Sa right on the current flute. I can take you through the first few notes using an 8-holed flute.
Sa = top two holes closed.
Shuddha Re = topmost hole closed
Shuddha Ga = all holes open

Can you try this for me, if you close all holes and play the note, does it play shuddha madhyam (eqv of shuddha madhyamam of CM) ?

A science that does not deliver us to the portals of metaphysics is a failed science and a religion that does not embrace physics is not grounded in reality.
+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Jul 26 2005, 01:04 AM
Post #33

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Hmm....yes......hoping to buy a 6-7 holed Bansuri pretty soon. By the way, did try out your request, of closing all the holes and playing, and to be honest, it didn't sound like Shuddha Madhyam ....Or rather, no 'proper' sound came out.....it was just plain.....blowing sound..... (like how it comes, when you struggle to get the proper sound in the initial days) tongue.gif wink2.gif Dunno if I played something wrong, OR whether there was really was no note in such a position.....You may guide me better.... smile1.gif Looking forward to hearing from you.......Waise bhi...its been quite some time since this thread and my class made any sort of "progress"...... tongue.gif smile1.gif

+Quote Post
bibhas
post Jul 26 2005, 10:02 PM
Post #34

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(gkshyam @ Jul 25 2005, 03:34 PM)
Hmm....yes......hoping to buy a 6-7 holed Bansuri pretty soon. By the way, did try out your request, of closing all the holes and playing, and to be honest, it didn't sound like Shuddha Madhyam ....Or rather, no 'proper' sound came out.....it was just plain.....blowing sound..... (like how it comes, when you struggle to get the proper sound in the initial days) tongue.gif wink2.gif Dunno if I played something wrong, OR whether there was really was no note in such a position.....You may guide me better.... smile1.gif Looking forward to hearing from you.......Waise bhi...its been quite some time since this thread and my class made any sort of "progress"...... tongue.gif smile1.gif

Sounds more like a technical hassle to me Shyam. It is usually a bit more difficult to get a note in that position, requires all holes to be closed well with no air leaks and also requires the blowing to be sharpened a little bit. Oh well, never mind. If you're gonna get a 6/7 hole flute anyway....
Bibhas
p.s. when you get the seller to play the flute for you, let him play each note with the hole fully open. Use the first three holes closed position as Sa and the flute should play a perfect aarohana/avarohana of Kalyani for you. That's how you know it's in tune. Here's a convenient fingering chart that might be useful for you:
http://www.one-world-trading.com/fluteschart.shtml

A science that does not deliver us to the portals of metaphysics is a failed science and a religion that does not embrace physics is not grounded in reality.
+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Aug 6 2005, 01:02 AM
Post #35

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Oh Wow!!!! That was quite an informative chart Bibhas....thanks so much...... Well.....the bad news is that....with all the rains and related problems.......Still not found the shub-muhurat to go and Check out some good Hindustani flutes........ Hope to get one soon.... Phir shaayd the lessons can make faster progress... sad1.gif

Tab tak shaayad woh 8-holed flute se hi kaam chalaana hoga..... sad1.gif

+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Aug 13 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #36

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Hi Bibhas........Long time since we got in touch.......Wanted to tell you something...... I tried our a friend's flute (He plays Hindustani clasical)...Infact.....not so close a friend.......Had met him for the first time......just day before yesterday.....and got the opportunity to check out his flute......His was a six holed flute......And I had a very very tough time handling it....I couldn't even hold it properly...and was finding it very difficult to grip it......My fingers (guess, they must be small... tongue.gif) were not able to close in properly on the 6 holes.....(Couldn't properly "reach out" the gaps.....between each.... sad1.gif) Need your advice soon...regarding this technical...(or maybe... "physical") hassle that I'm facing..... Will I be able to play it after all???? sad1.gif Please reply soon..... sad1.gif

+Quote Post
bibhas
post Aug 16 2005, 08:16 PM
Post #37

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(gkshyam @ Aug 13 2005, 01:22 PM)
Hi Bibhas........Long time since we got in touch.......Wanted to tell you something...... I tried our a friend's flute (He plays Hindustani clasical)...Infact.....not so close a friend.......Had met him for the first time......just day before yesterday.....and got the opportunity to check out his flute......His was a six holed flute......And I had a very very tough time handling it....I couldn't even hold it properly...and was finding it very difficult to grip it......My fingers (guess, they must be small... tongue.gif) were not able to close in properly on the 6 holes.....(Couldn't properly "reach out" the gaps.....between each.... sad1.gif) Need your advice soon...regarding this technical...(or maybe... "physical") hassle that I'm facing..... Will I be able to play it after all???? sad1.gif Please reply soon..... sad1.gif

Don't worry Shyam, I assure you that you will be able to reach all the holes of that very same flute. Typically, hindustani artists like to use flutes that are about 30 inches long and are in Key of B (Tonic of E). However, those are meant for trained flautists and not for students who are just starting. I would suggest you pick up a flute that has a Tonic of B or C (would be 19-21 inches long) and you should be able to close the holes well with such a flute. Once you get the basics, you can slowly work your way up to a 24 inch, then a 27 inch and finally a 30 inch or even a 34-inch. When I started learning, I had trouble with even a 20-inch flute ( like you, I too had first gotten the blow and finger technique from a carnatic flute) but now I routinely play a 31-inch flute.

+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Aug 18 2005, 08:08 PM
Post #38

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Oh...is it so Bibhas??? :PHEW: tongue.gif I was really tensed up for quite some time.......I thought, maybe my fingers are small.....or deformed....and I will never be able to play the Flute..... sad1.gif cry.gif Aapne humen tasalli dee......iskeliye.....bahut bahut dhanyavaad.... smile1.gif I shall try out your idea.....of starting off with a smaller flute......Kya pata......I maybe able to close the holes properly...and get a proper grip too......(to start with... tongue.gif) Please continue posting here Sir... smile1.gif Thanks again, meri tension door karne ke liye... smile1.gif :sigh of relief: wink2.gif

+Quote Post
bibhas
post Aug 29 2005, 09:13 PM
Post #39

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(gkshyam @ Aug 27 2005, 02:32 PM @ the SMNS thread)
PS: Yes....I too saw Baansuri-wala mandraaoing over here......and leaving off silently.......Dunno why??? hmm.... mellow.gif huh.gif He has not even resumed his Baansuri Classes at the other thread.. sad1.gif sad1.gif[/b]

Arre Shyam,
main to yahaan is liye post nahiin kar raha tha ki jab tak tum apni nayi bansuri nahiin laate, ham shuruaat nahiin kar sakenge na ? aur koi vajah nahiin hai. ab batao, bansuri khareedi bhi ki nahiin ?
Bibhas "Bansuriwaala".

+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Sep 9 2005, 12:35 PM
Post #40

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

GURUJI!!!!! Pranaam!! bow.gif bow.gif smile1.gif One good news for you!!!!! smile1.gif I somehow managed to go to a music shop in the city yesterday, and buy a Hindustani flute!!! (FIINNNNAAAALLLLLYYYY!!!!!!! tongue.gif tongue.gif wink2.gif)

This one's smaller in size....and tuned to the 2D scale........Its a 7-holed flute.....(6 holes at the 'regular' places, and the seventh one a bit away....towards the non-blowing end of the flute) And most important thing is.....I simply tried it out at the shop.....and actually shocked myself....by getting the sound right at the first try... blink.gif ph34r.gif wink2.gif ....just played 3-4 notes........got happy....and bought it...........Now to start off with the lessons on a regular basis...... wink2.gif

PS: {Planning to try out the notes from that CHART you had sent me, today smile1.gif}

+Quote Post
Nimii
post Sep 9 2005, 01:04 PM
Post #41

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

GKS summa trying ellam pattaahdu daa.. you havent still uploaded your music angry2.gif

N abuse.gif
+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Sep 9 2005, 02:30 PM
Post #42

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Nimii......I'd uploaded my music on "THIS" thread....(the first page of this thread)......looong back.........You didn't hear or what???? sad1.gif cry.gif sad1.gif cry.gif

+Quote Post
Nimii
post Sep 9 2005, 02:57 PM
Post #43

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

GKS you know what my net status was till about a week back sad1.gif

How o how could I have d/l and heard it re sad1.gif Reupload kar!!

KASP ka koi recording hai kya ?

N
+Quote Post
visuja
post Sep 9 2005, 07:03 PM
Post #44

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2745

QUOTE(Nimii @ Sep 9 2005, 05:27 PM)
GKS you know what my net status was till about a week back sad1.gif
How o how could I have d/l and heard it re sad1.gif Reupload kar!!
KASP ka koi recording hai kya ?
N
Nimz.. I have more than one recording of his ! chaahiye kya ? wink2.gif rollf.gif

(*bhaagooo..GKS gonna kill me now*) bye-bye.gif

GKS, ab jaldi se SMNS mein apni aawaaz mein koi song u/l kar de... WARNA !!! rollf.gif (me loving this EB tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Nimii
post Sep 9 2005, 07:13 PM
Post #45

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Adai kudu daa.. gks wont kill u wink2.gif naan iruka bhayamenn?

N biggrin.gif
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:23 PM