Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Rishikesh, Badrinath, Dehradun

, any info

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rishikesh, Badrinath, Dehradun, any info
saidip
post Feb 22 2005, 10:46 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

hi, I am planning to visit Rishikesh, Badrinath, Dehradun this april. It wud be gr8 if someone can help me with some info specially with ref to stay n places to visit
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
unni
post Feb 22 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
From: Vaanar Nivas, Tribandar Marg, Bandarabad, MONKEYSTAN.
Member No.: 356

QUOTE(saidip @ Feb 22 2005, 12:16 PM)
hi, I am planning to visit Rishikesh, Badrinath, Dehradun this april. It wud be gr8 if someone can help me with some info specially with ref to stay n places to visit

As I discovered, Dehra Dun is just another town. It is located on the plains, not on the slopes or mountains. Driving from Delhi, it would serve as a lunch-stop on the way to Mussoorie. The climb starts after Dehra Dun. Unless you have relatives to visit in Dehra Dun, an overnight halt is not worth it (as I was advised and discovered to be true).

Rishikesh, of course, is important for religious reasons. For me personally, it was far more appealing than the Disneyland-like facades (they put me off) of the teeming temples in Hardwar.

Next time I'm there, I would spend at least a night in Rishikesh to flavour the atmosphere of the Ganges flowing through the town, to observe the faithful at prayers on the shores, to see (if possible) the yogis whose ashrams in Rishikesh are famous.

Spending dawn and dusk on the banks of the Ganges in Rishikesh would be a 'divine' experience.

Never been to Badrinath and Kedarnath. But after some more time in HF, I'll need to go there and seek absolution for my sins! tongue.gif

If you stop trying to make sense of it all, you'll be less confused. Reality is an illusion.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
saidip
post Feb 23 2005, 12:02 AM
Post #3

Unregistered

QUOTE(unni @ Feb 22 2005, 11:40 PM)
QUOTE(saidip @ Feb 22 2005, 12:16 PM)

As I discovered, Dehra Dun is just another town. It is located on the plains, not on the slopes or mountains. Driving from Delhi, it would serve as a lunch-stop on the way to Mussoorie. The climb starts after Dehra Dun. Unless you have relatives to visit in Dehra Dun, an overnight halt is not worth it (as I was advised and discovered to be true).

Rishikesh, of course, is important for religious reasons. For me personally, it was far more appealing than the Disneyland-like facades (they put me off) of the teeming temples in Hardwar.

Next time I'm there, I would spend at least a night in Rishikesh to flavour the atmosphere of the Ganges flowing through the town, to observe the faithful at prayers on the shores, to see (if possible) the yogis whose ashrams in Rishikesh are famous.

Spending dawn and dusk on the banks of the Ganges in Rishikesh would be a 'divine' experience.

Never been to Badrinath and Kedarnath. But after some more time in HF, I'll need to go there and seek absolution for my sins! tongue.gif

Have u been to Mussorie. Personally I too wud like to spend more time in Rishikesh provided i am able to make my accomodation arrangements.
Abt absolution for ur sins - dont worry abt it - the help that u provide wud definitely stand in good stead for u. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Talaikya
post Feb 23 2005, 12:03 AM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 402

Ahhhh... the Himalayas!
I agree with Unni ji's observations about Hardwar & Hrishikesh. There were two experiences of Hardwar that I savor though. The evening Ganga aarti and the bathing in the river from the VIP ghats (the other side is too crowded). Maybe April is too early for this? I was there years back and my memory is very faulty... will look at my pics and tell you the time of year soon.

Badrinath and Kedarnath are as like Hardwar and Hrishikesh. You can drive up all the way to Badri, Kedar was approachable only by foot/ horse/ doli.

Kedarnath is just too beautiful. They didn't have electricity then, I wonder how it is now. I'll give you whetever details I have - tomorrow. Aaj thoda kaam hain smile1.gif

You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
+Quote Post
saidip
post Feb 23 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #5

Unregistered

QUOTE(Talaikya @ Feb 23 2005, 12:03 AM)
Ahhhh... the Himalayas!
I agree with Unni ji's observations about Hardwar & Hrishikesh. There were two experiences of Hardwar that I savor though. The evening Ganga aarti and the bathing in the river from the VIP ghats (the other side is too crowded). Maybe April is too early for this? I was there years back and my memory is very faulty... will look at my pics and tell you the time of year soon.

Badrinath and Kedarnath are as like Hardwar and Hrishikesh. You can drive up all the way to Badri, Kedar was approachable only by foot/ horse/ doli.

Kedarnath is just too beautiful. They didn't have electricity then, I wonder how it is now. I'll give you whetever details I have - tomorrow. Aaj thoda kaam hain smile1.gif

I shall wait patiently for all the info u can give me!!!!
+Quote Post
Talaikya
post Feb 23 2005, 09:47 PM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Hi there... well, on second thoughts... I was there in 89! How much info can I give you that is still relevant today? smile1.gif

So... I can either ramble on about my trip or shut up! smile1.gif

One clarification - when I said Badri & Kedar are as like Hardwar & Hrishikesh - I meant the differences between them are as like Hardwar & Hrishikesh. But then are you even contemplating Kedarnath?

We'd done a lovely trip all the way up to Gaumukh.

+Quote Post
unni
post Feb 23 2005, 10:02 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(saidip @ Feb 22 2005, 01:32 PM)
Have u been to Mussorie. Personally I too wud like to spend more time in Rishikesh provided i am able to make my accomodation arrangements.
Abt absolution for ur sins - dont worry abt it  - the help that u provide wud definitely stand in good stead for u.  tongue.gif

In fact it was while going to Mussoorie that I passed through Hardwar and Dehra Dun, and through Rishikesh on the return trip.

Mussoorie's popularity stems from being the hill-station closest to Delhi. The town has the atmosphere of other hill-stations, but there are really no worthwhile sights in and around the town. It is enjoyable to stroll through the streets, in particular the bazaar area. The weather is the best part of the stay!

Since I didn't spend any time in Hardwar and just drove through the town, I'm really not competent to comment. Had I stopped and gone to the ghats, I might have come away with a different perspective, more on the lines of T-ji's experience. Dawn and dusk would be the best time at any of the holy places, and I wasn't at Hardwar or Rishikesh during those hours.

If you stop trying to make sense of it all, you'll be less confused. Reality is an illusion.
+Quote Post
saidip
post Feb 23 2005, 10:07 PM
Post #8

Unregistered

QUOTE(Talaikya @ Feb 23 2005, 09:47 PM)
Hi there... well, on second thoughts... I was there in 89! How much info can I give you that is still relevant today? smile1.gif

So... I can either ramble on about my trip or shut up! smile1.gif

One clarification - when I said Badri & Kedar are as like Hardwar & Hrishikesh - I meant the differences between them are as like Hardwar & Hrishikesh. But then are you even contemplating Kedarnath?

We'd done a lovely trip all the way up to Gaumukh.

No i wont be going to kedarnath - i believe its a trek all the way & after doing vaishnodevi yatra - it wud get a bit too hectic for the oldies in the group.

Another thing i heard is that the Badrinath temple may be closed in the begining of april - i wonder if anyone on this forum may have any idea abt it
+Quote Post
unni
post Feb 23 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(saidip @ Feb 23 2005, 11:37 AM)
No i wont be going to kedarnath - i believe its a trek all the way & after doing vaishnodevi yatra - it wud get a bit too hectic for the oldies in the group.

Another thing i heard is that the Badrinath temple may be closed in the begining of april - i wonder if anyone on this forum may have any idea abt it

You're right, Badrinath dhaam is closed from November till the end of April.

+Quote Post
saidip
post Feb 23 2005, 10:19 PM
Post #10

Unregistered

QUOTE(unni @ Feb 23 2005, 10:16 PM)
QUOTE(saidip @ Feb 23 2005, 11:37 AM)

You're right, Badrinath dhaam is closed from Novemeber till the end of April.

Oh no! Thats sad - am going so far & will not be able to visit the temple cry.gif
+Quote Post
Talaikya
post Feb 23 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

sad1.gif
Yes, the mountains are probably less accessible in Winter. We were there end - May. I believe the Gods winter at Uttarkashi? Are you driving?

+Quote Post
saidip
post Feb 23 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #12

Unregistered

QUOTE(Talaikya @ Feb 23 2005, 10:33 PM)
sad1.gif
Yes, the mountains are probably less accessible in Winter. We were there end - May. I believe the Gods winter at Uttarkashi? Are you driving?

yes will be using state transport (maybe) or cab, v will first go to haridwar -rishikesh - badrinath - dehradun
+Quote Post
man123
post Feb 24 2005, 06:15 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 916

QUOTE(saidip @ Feb 23 2005, 10:51 PM)
QUOTE(Talaikya @ Feb 23 2005, 10:33 PM)
sad1.gif

yes will be using state transport (maybe) or cab, v will first go to haridwar -rishikesh - badrinath - dehradun

Hi saidip ,

Its true, trek to kedarnath is tiresome but at the same time, its very adventurous too. Natural beauty is all around, and the fresh air of himalayas. ahhaa ... smile1.gif its very peaceful there , one just forget about the tiredness after reaching the shrine.

I'd been there some 5 yrs ago and loved the trek too much.It's one of the unforgettable journey of mine. Its 14 Kms trek from Gaurikund (Base) to Kedarnath temple.

Whereas, for badrinath temple, you dont have to trek. There's motorable road till Badrinath temple. Only caution one has to take the timings for opening of the roads for vehicles. Actually its a narrow road , so they allow one way traffic only. There are barriers at both sides, i.e. Joshimath (base) and Badrinath. Local authorities has fixed timings for one direction traffic.

We hired a cab (4 ppl) from haridwar. It was around 5 days journey which covered both Kedar-Badri temples.

Day 1. Day journey from Haridwar to Gaurikund, night stay at Gaurikund. Try to reach Gaurikund a little early in the eve, cos in the peak season it is hard to get proper accomodation. Its a very small village. People dont live there for whole year. They come there during season only. You might end up paying big amt for just a single room with 4 beds.

Forget to tell you one more beautiful place, If reach early in the eve, try to visit Triyugi Narayan which apprx. 25 kms off the main road to Gaurikund. It is the mythological venue of the marriage of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. An eternal flame, which is said to have been a witness to the marriage, burns in front of the temple even today. Drive is very much dangerous till Triyugi Narayan.

Day 2. Start trek early morning after taking bath in hot water geyser at Gaurikund. Palki, pitthu , horse all available there. Negotiate well before hiring any of these. Come back same day to Gaurikund after havin darshan at temple. Night Stay at Gaurikund.

Day 3. Day journey. Reach to Joshimath, 42 kms from Badrinath. If you can cover this 42 kms before closing of the barriers that will be very good. Otherwise, night stay at Joshimath. Joshimath too have famous Narsimha temple. More info about Joshimath : http://chamoli.nic.in/joshimath.htm

Day 4. Start early from Joshimath (depends on opening time for upgoing traffic). Have bath in hot water geyser at Badrinath Temple and have Darshan there. Come back to Joshimath same day. If you have enough time, you can visit Auli, famous skiing spot in India. More info about Auli :http://www.india4u.com/tourism/auli.asp

Day 5. Day journey. Leave the cab at Rishikesh or Haridwar. Afterwards you can decide your tour to Doon-Mussorie.

Cab drivers are very helpful and they do have knowledge of whole area. Driving in night is very dangerous in this area , so all travelling you have to do in day light only. Dont make a plan with tight schedule to visit these hilly areas. One must have some 2-3 days in reserve, if in case of some delays due to unavoidable reasons.

Enjoy your journey and do give the summary after coming back.

- Man

Music is the only Universal Language on Earth.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 02:31 PM