Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

A Story....

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Story....
preet
post Dec 19 2004, 08:16 PM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 429

A while back we had a discussion about dancing Ganesh, I said it was not good to keep dancing Ganesh at home and was asked the reason I didn’t had any answer then….. got to meet my grand father and now I got the answer….

Well the story goes that Parshuraam (an incarnation of lord Vishnu) was considered as the biggest devotee of lord Shiv.
At the time Ganesh who had been laughed at by the moon and in punishment Ganesh gave him the “Shraap” that moon will appear full only once in a month… to give his son the respect he deserved from everyone Lord Shiv declared that no Pooja could start without taking Ganesh’s name first. (We still do that remember “Vakratund mahakaya surya koti samprabha nirvighne kurme dev sarv karye tu sarvadah”)
Parshuraam did not like this honor bestowed on Ganesh and he challenged Ganesh for a bout of fight. Ganesh was not in the mood and took is as a joke while Parshuraam attacked with all vigor.
in one such attack Ganesh could not save himself and his tooth broke (if you notice right tooth of lord Ganesh is broken). This infuriated Ganesh and he became so mad he attacked Parshuraam with all his might. Parshuraam had to be saved by Shiv. But Ganesh could not be controlled and this is when he is said to have started the destructive dance, which is known as Tandav.
This is the only time Ganesh is supposed to have done tandav and he is believed to be a better dancer then his father. Lord Shiv tried to control his son but he was out of control everyone started fearing that if he continued in the same way the world would come to an end so finally all the god’s went to Paarvati and requested her to do something.
She was the only one who could placate her son and she went and asked her son to stop he stopped and came to sit on her lap.

There is another story about a competition between Parvati ji and Shiv ji about who was the best dancer. Interested in knowing??? smile1.gif

"When beauty talks, nobody notices what grammar it uses"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
spbobby
post Dec 19 2004, 08:18 PM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1026

thanks for sharing

IPB ImageIPB Image

Bhag Tweety Bhag,Teri Izzat Ka Sawal Hai

hi
+Quote Post
unni
post Dec 19 2004, 09:15 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
From: Vaanar Nivas, Tribandar Marg, Bandarabad, MONKEYSTAN.
Member No.: 356

QUOTE(preety @ Dec 19 2004, 09:46 AM)
There is another story about a competition between Parvati ji and Shiv ji about who was the best dancer. Interested in knowing??? smile1.gif

Preety:

Do please tell us. Thanks for sharing.

If you stop trying to make sense of it all, you'll be less confused. Reality is an illusion.
+Quote Post
pranavjh
post Dec 20 2004, 05:49 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 1123

QUOTE(preety @ Dec 19 2004, 07:46 AM)
A while back we had a discussion about dancing Ganesh, I said it was not good to keep dancing Ganesh at home and was asked the reason I didn’t had any answer then….. got to meet my grand father and now I got the answer….

Well the story goes that Parshuraam (an incarnation of lord Vishnu) was considered as the biggest devotee of lord Shiv.
At the time Ganesh who had been laughed at by the moon and in punishment Ganesh gave him the “Shraap” that moon will appear full only once in a month… to give his son the respect he deserved from everyone Lord Shiv declared that no Pooja could start without taking Ganesh’s name first. (We still do that remember “Vakratund mahakaya surya koti samprabha nirvighne kurme dev sarv karye tu sarvadah”)
Parshuraam did not like this honor bestowed on Ganesh and he challenged Ganesh for a bout of fight. Ganesh was not in the mood and took is as a joke while Parshuraam attacked with all vigor.
in one such attack Ganesh could not save himself and his tooth broke (if you notice right tooth of lord Ganesh is broken). This infuriated Ganesh and he became so mad he attacked Parshuraam with all his might. Parshuraam had to be saved by Shiv. But Ganesh could not be controlled and this is when he is said to have started the destructive dance, which is known as Tandav.
This is the only time Ganesh is supposed to have done tandav and he is believed to be a better dancer then his father. Lord Shiv tried to control his son but he was out of control everyone started fearing that if he continued in the same way the world would come to an end so finally all the god’s went to Paarvati and requested her to do something.
She was the only one who could placate her son and she went and asked her son to stop he stopped and came to sit on her lap.

Absolutely fascinating!!! There are so many such stories that if converted into some cartoon series, can be enjoyed by so many kids and they can learn a lot from our mythology. I am certain that it would be better than Yu-Gi-O and all the other such "imports".

I used to relish reading Amar Chitra Katha while growing up. I have so many of them with me, but of late, I have seen the quality of the comics deteriorating. Also, now the television is so ubiquitous, having them on cartoon network etc would make sense. Of course, there is an attempt at that I have seen, but the quality needs to improve a lot.

Pranav
+Quote Post
preet
post Dec 20 2004, 02:27 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(pranavjh @ Dec 20 2004, 05:49 AM)
Absolutely fascinating!!! There are so many such stories that if converted into some cartoon series, can be enjoyed by so many kids and they can learn a lot from our mythology. I am certain that it would be better than Yu-Gi-O and all the other such "imports".

I used to relish reading Amar Chitra Katha while growing up. I have so many of them with me, but of late, I have seen the quality of the comics deteriorating. Also, now the television is so ubiquitous, having them on cartoon network etc would make sense. Of course, there is an attempt at that I have seen, but the quality needs to improve a lot.

Pranav

exactly, there r so many mythological stories that can beat spiderman or super man any day even our folk stories i have written them down on my PC and some day hope to get them published....
Unni i will post the other story this evening... smile1.gif

+Quote Post
preet
post Dec 20 2004, 10:32 PM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

according to the mythology Parvati ji is a very good dancer. She used to spend her leisure time dancing (sometimes alone sometimes with her sidekicks) so on one such occasion when she was dancing alone shivji happened to come and he challenged Parvati ji that he was a better dancer.
Parvati was offended as everyone knew she was better then Shiv. So they started dancing Shiv countered all her steps and Parvati counter attacked him with an even more difficult step.
Soon they were dancing without any inhibitions, and it was also clear that Shiv ji couldn’t last any longer.
In her spirits Parvati ji didn’t even notice when her cloths became disarrayed and suddenly when she noticed she was so embarrassed that she stopped mid-step. Shiv ji who had almost given up smiled and took this opportunity and completed the dance. Thus winning the competition.
We can see the sculptures on the walls of some temples mainly on the ones constructed by Chola dynasty, in South India. This sculptures show a small Parvati with her head bent down (in embarrassment) and a big Shiv performing some erotic dance step.
The attached image is one such sculpture.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bawra Jay
post Dec 21 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 561

QUOTE(preety @ Dec 20 2004, 04:57 AM)

Pranav

exactly, there r so many mythological stories that can beat spiderman or super man any day even our folk stories i have written them down on my PC and some day hope to get them published....

Start making them into cartoon character stories, you in the field as well to do this task... We can try publishing here on HF till you RICH AND FAMOUS wink2.gif ....

The way is not in the sky, the way is in the heart. --Gautama Buddha
+Quote Post
Bawra Jay
post Dec 21 2004, 12:56 AM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(preety @ Dec 19 2004, 10:46 AM)

I have read this story Preety and not for the argument sake but have never seen the conclusion of this story as dont put a dancing Ganesha structure in your home as its not good or brings bad luck , etc etc..... And all the Dancing form of Ganesha is not of Tandaav.... aka angry dance.... You will be surprised to see some of the Ganesha's Murti those astrologer's and pundit's give to keep on headboard of the bed or anywhere near bedroom for longetivity of marriages , etc... Don't believe me naa ? LOL ... read this....

About Ucchista Ganapati
This is the dancing form of Ganesha and the meditation etc, visualize Ganeha in a rather jovial, compromising mood. Ucchista Ganesha is worshipped to remove domestic disharmony and the relationship with spouse is improved. All sorts of troubles with in-laws etc vanish and the family gets together and lives happily. For the last two decades we have advised the placing of a statue of dancing Ganesha (idol) near the headstand of the bed and the relationship between couples has improved. Marriages which were on the verge of breakdown have smoothened out in a most miraculous manner.

+Quote Post
preet
post Dec 21 2004, 10:56 AM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

yes not all dancing forms are Tandav, Ganesha used to dance with his wives Riddhi and Siddhi too but those are soft rather more on the seductive side i dont remember it has some special name.
but most of the sculptures on the wall of the temples are from this very episode and as the makers these days make a replica out of these sculptures its mostly of this time.

About Ucchista Ganapati
This is the dancing form of Ganesha and the meditation etc, visualize Ganeha in a rather jovial, compromising mood

that is true but how do we recognize which one to keep only a pundit can tell that. and even they advise to keep this form of dancing ganesha not all....
smile1.gif

+Quote Post
Bawra Jay
post Dec 21 2004, 11:06 AM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(preety @ Dec 21 2004, 01:26 AM)

that is true but how do we recognize which one to keep only a pundit can tell that. and even they advise to keep this form of dancing ganesha not all....
smile1.gif

You can send me a scanned image of the IDOL / MURTI , etc... and Rs. 501 ki Dakshina tongue.gif..... I will tell you which one to keep and which one you cant tongue.gif ... LOL tongue.gif

+Quote Post
preet
post Dec 21 2004, 11:14 AM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bawra Jay @ Dec 21 2004, 12:43 AM)

Pranav

Start making them into cartoon character stories, you in the field as well to do this task... We can try publishing here on HF till you RICH AND FAMOUS wink2.gif ....

i have already made some 3-d books for children about some folk stories and fairy tale but chote chote bhai beheno ke bich wo sub kahaa gaye kuch pataa nahi sad1.gif
but this is a good idea i will make cartoon characters for these stories and hf will publish it till i make another Harry poter wink2.gif

+Quote Post
pranavjh
post Dec 21 2004, 11:54 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 1123

QUOTE(preety @ Dec 20 2004, 10:44 PM)
QUOTE(Bawra Jay @ Dec 21 2004, 12:43 AM)

Pranav

i have already made some 3-d books for children about some folk stories and fairy tale but chote chote bhai beheno ke bich wo sub kahaa gaye kuch pataa nahi sad1.gif
but this is a good idea i will make cartoon characters for these stories and hf will publish it till i make another Harry poter wink2.gif

I am really serious. I really feel that something like that needs to be done at a serious level. Unfortunately, I don't have any talent in either drawing or writing stories and that makes me respect that talent and those people even more!! If I can be of help in any way, please feel free to let me know.

Pranav
+Quote Post
preet
post Dec 21 2004, 02:42 PM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

I am really serious. I really feel that something like that needs to be done at a serious level. Unfortunately, I don't have any talent in either drawing or writing stories and that makes me respect that talent and those people even more!! If I can be of help in any way, please feel free to let me know.

Pranav this is really a good idea... why dont we all post in such stories here and i will try to make them all in cartoon strips who knows maybe one day we can get famous for this smile1.gif so i would request everyone to post in any small big stories of any religion and time.... atleast it will entertain us...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 11:05 PM