Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Naushadji & Dilip Kumar

, Simple & Sweet

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Naushadji & Dilip Kumar, Simple & Sweet
swarapriya
post Jul 6 2008, 11:24 AM
Post #61

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Angels
Member No.: 36307

Ram Aur Shyam (1967)

"Gunga Jumna" was the last major hit Dilip enjoyed until the release of "Ram Aur Shyam". With all the money spent, "Leader" could barely garner its investment back. "Dil Diya Dard Liya" met similar fate. Ironically the music by Naushadji was outstanding for both of these movies. Probably the commercial failure must have been irking in his mind when he was asked to compose the music for "Ram Aur Shyam". Here was a movie, first made in Telugu called "Ramudu Bheemudu" that was a runaway hit. It was remade in Tamil with equal success. When Dilipji was approached to play not one but two roles of twin brothers of the movie, he jumped at the opportunity to play a dual role for the first time in his career. When the movie was released and became a huge hit, the muisc didn't contribute much to its success. It was Naushadji's inferior effort. Yes. There are a couple of hummable tunes. But by and large it was not to the standard Naushadji set everybody's expections to.

Incidentally, Vyjayantimala was originally cast to play one of the heroines in the movie. Two weeks of the movie also was in the can. This was the time when Vyjayantimala was drifting away from Dilipji and moving towards Raj Kapoor's camp. This irritated Dilipji to no end. It was difficult to work for all those involved in the production given these circumstances. After sensing what is going on, Vyjayantimala quietly asked the producer to excuse her from the movie and have someone else cast in her role. The producer could see the problem and agreed. She was replaced by Waheeda Rehman and the production went without a hitch afterwards.

This is another movie which fetched Dilip Saab a best actor award from Filmfare. It was almost a routine to expect his winning if he was in a movie that year. This movie also inspired later "Seeta Aur Geeta" with male roles switched from twin brothers to twin sisters, played by Hema Malini. Salim and Javed took the credit for that story eventhough it was not their original idea.

Now for details of songs and songs themselves ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jul 9 2008, 03:16 AM
Post #62

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Aadmi (1968)

Here is another movie based on a Tamil hit. It never ceases to amaze me that why we honor, including myself, this kind of crappy movies. It is baseless. Utter sham. No social value. Of course we all have our weaknesses. For example, in my case, the only reason to go and see this was Dilipji and Naushadji. Also, I am sucker for Waheed Rehman's performances. I guess they all are good reasons why these movies are made and people like me go to watch them.

The only redeeming feature of this movie is that music is not like their previous outing "Ram Aur Shyam". Still I won't consider this among Naushadji's finer achievements.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jul 11 2008, 08:37 PM
Post #63

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Sunghursh (1968)

Here we are. At the end of this thread. This is the 15th and the last movie Naushadji was asociated with a Dilip Kumar film. It started in 1948 with "Mela" and continued for the next 20 years that ended in 1968. 20 years. Some wonderful music during this time. For the last several weeks, we lived through some of these moments through this platform provided by the Forum.

For Dilip Saab, during the phase that began with "Aadmi (1968)", some of his movies were commercially "unsuccessful." He followed "Sunghursh" and "Aadmi" both released in 1968, with "Gopi (1970)", "Dastan (1972)", "Sagina (1974)", and "Bairaag (1976)". All commercially failed products. He took a sabbatical from acting for next five years after this, and revived his career once again with Manoj Kumar's "Kranti (1981)".

Naushadji, after 1968, never collaborated with Dilip Saab in another movie in the next 37 years he lived. But even during this time, he took only limited assignments. He provided music for 10 movies only during that time. For "Pakeezah (1971)", that can be considered as a eleventh movie, his contributions were limited but very significant. He took over for his longterm friend and associate Ghulam Mohammed, when he passed away, to complete that project. He scored its background music, and composed a couple of songs for it I believe. His last film "Taj Mahal" was released in 2005.

Here are details of the songs of "Sunghursh (1968)" and the songs themselves ...

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
Exon
post Jul 11 2008, 09:02 PM
Post #64

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 49544

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jul 9 2008, 03:16 AM) *

Aadmi (1968)

Here is another movie based on a Tamil hit. It never ceases to amaze me that why we honor, including myself, this kind of crappy movies. It is baseless. Utter sham. No social value. Of course we all have our weaknesses. For example, in my case, the only reason to go and see this was Dilipji and Naushadji. Also, I am sucker for Waheed Rehman's performances. I guess they all are good reasons why these movies are made and people like me go to watch them.

The only redeeming feature of this movie is that music is not like their previous outing "Ram Aur Shyam". Still I won't consider this among Naushadji's finer achievements.

The song 'Kaisi Haseen Aaj Bahaaron Ki Raat Hai' has two versions. In the movie version, it's a Rafi - Mahendra Kapoor duet and for the album, Rafi - Talat duet.
Here is the film version of the song; audio courtesy of HF member.

Kaisi Haseen Aaj Bahaaron Ki Raat Hai - Mohammad Rafi, Mahendra Kapoor (192 \ 4:40)

Thanks to Swarapriya for bring to us this wonderful thread on Naushad.

Exon

+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Jul 12 2008, 03:52 AM
Post #65

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6005

Swarapriya, a great thread indeed. Naushad sahab's music had everything in it, so complete, especially in the forties and the fifties (strictly IMHO).

Thanks for this wonderful gift to HF

Cheers
Parag

Please visit www.geetadutt.com
+Quote Post
desai2rn
post Jul 12 2008, 10:25 PM
Post #66

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 189

Incidentally, Vyjayantimala was originally cast to play one of the heroines in the movie. Two weeks of the movie also was in the can. This was the time when Vyjayantimala was drifting away from Dilipji and moving towards Raj Kapoor's camp. This irritated Dilipji to no end. It was difficult to work for all those involved in the production given these circumstances. After sensing what is going on, Vyjayantimala quietly asked the producer to excuse her from the movie and have someone else cast in her role. The producer could see the problem and agreed. She was replaced by Waheeda Rehman and the production went without a hitch afterwards.

Very Interesting. In her biography Vijantimala had a different version.
According to her she was recplaced abruptley after two weeks of shooting and DK had something to do with that.

By the way great job of presenting this thread.

This post has been edited by desai2rn: Jul 12 2008, 10:27 PM

R a m e s h
+Quote Post
anand
post Jul 13 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #67

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 7780

SWARPRIYA yadi chhoti ho to aashirwad aur gar badi ho neh na na sorry badi kaisey ho sakti ho mujhse
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jul 14 2008, 02:34 AM
Post #68

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(desai2rn @ Jul 12 2008, 09:55 AM) *

Very Interesting. In her biography Vijantimala had a different version.
According to her she was recplaced abruptley after two weeks of shooting and DK had something to do with that.

By the way great job of presenting this thread.

Desaiji,

I wrote what I heard from a very good friend of mine who is related to Nagi Reddi, producer of the film. Irrespective of which account is correct, we both agree that Dilipji was eventually responsible in seeing Vyjayantimala removed from the roster.

Swarapriya
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jul 14 2008, 02:35 AM
Post #69

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Jul 11 2008, 03:22 PM) *

Swarapriya, a great thread indeed. Naushad sahab's music had everything in it, so complete, especially in the forties and the fifties (strictly IMHO).

Thanks for this wonderful gift to HF

Cheers
Parag

Thanks Parag. It was such a pleasure doing this series. Cheers. -S
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jul 14 2008, 02:38 AM
Post #70

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(anand @ Jul 13 2008, 03:20 AM) *

SWARPRIYA yadi chhoti ho to aashirwad aur gar badi ho neh na na sorry badi kaisey ho sakti ho mujhse

Anandji,

Yeh chhote badon ki baat nahin hai. Sangeet ek jo itna vishaal samundar hai, hum sab ek usee samundar ki saahil ki ret ki kan lagte hain.

Anand ho,
Swarapriya

This post has been edited by swarapriya: Jul 14 2008, 02:39 AM
+Quote Post
akbaralibhai
post Oct 18 2008, 03:03 AM
Post #71

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3033

Thank you very much Swarapriya Ji for this wonderful thread so eloquently presented. I just found this thread and was lucky to find all films except Gunga Jamna. When you have time, could you please reupload this film?

Many thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by akbaralibhai: Oct 18 2008, 03:05 AM
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Oct 20 2008, 01:36 AM
Post #72

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Gunga Jumna (1961)

I am re-uploading these songs on request (especially for Akbaralibhai):

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Oct 20 2008, 01:40 AM
Post #73

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Songs Of "Gunga Jumna (1961)" Continued ...

Here are the extended versions of couple of songs from "Gunga Jumna". Both are DVD rips.

+Quote Post
akbaralibhai
post Oct 20 2008, 02:21 AM
Post #74

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3033

Thank you very much Swarapriya Ji, greatly appreciated for this evergreen album.
+Quote Post
taiyab53
post Jan 23 2011, 02:24 AM
Post #75

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 8060

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jun 16 2008, 09:54 AM) *
Uran Khatola (1955)

This movie was loosely based on Frank Capra’s 1937 classic film “Lost Horizon.” The story of which was based on James Hilton’s best selling 1933 novel of the same name that was inspired by the real-life mountaineer George Leigh-Malloory who lost his life during a fatal climb of Mount Everest in 1924. The film also had some similarities with another English movie made in 1935 called “She” an adventure tale about a lost land.

The Hindi version of the movie had all the ingredients to make it a huge success. It was embellished by Naushadji’s great score and some spirited singing by Lataji and Rafi Saab. But what made this movie apart from others was the casting of T. Surya Kumari in the role of the queen. Surya Kumari, who bore the famous name of Tanguturi was a Telugu-speaking lady, who came from a rich and politically active and influential background.

Surya Kumari was a lady of elegance and style and stood tall with a very slender figure. She was bestowed with a beautiful voice and bcame popular singing patriotic songs even before she was 10 years old. Prakasam Pantulu, her uncle, was a a freedom fighter who defied British troops during the Indian independence struggle. She accompanied him to many political rallies where singing of songs by her were a major draw than the speeches given by politicians. She acted in her first movie when she was only 12 years, in a special part especially written for her to accommodate her singing talent.

All in all she acted in about 25 movies. In 1947, Shantaram who heard voice on a gramophone record, offered her to sing for the heroine of his film “Apna Desh.” Later she acted in the Hindi movie “Watan (1954).” By this time, she was crowned as Miss Madras and grown up to be a beautiful woman. Soon she was offered the role of the queen in “Uran Khatola.” The movie was a huge hit. It even fetched her a nomination for best supporting actress from Filmfare. However, she lost to Nirupa Roy for her performance in”Munimji.”

Surya Kumari spoke several languages including Telugu, Tamil, Hindi, English, Gujarati, and Sanskrit. She acted in only another Hindi movie (also made in English) called “Bombay Might 417” after “Uran Khatola.” That was the last of her movies. She did remain active participating and promoting Indian culture abroad. When in US as a member of a cultural organization, she met Alfred Hitchcock. Fairly impressed, Hitchcock offered her to work with him. She spent several years in US, working in background and assisting Hitchcock in production, and collaborated in producing several episodes of “Alfred Hitchcock presents …”. She also taught in New York city at Columbia University.

Later she moved to UK and met and married Harold Elvin, poet, painter, and potter. She lived rest of her life in UK until she passed away in 2005. A truly remarkable lady in very respect of the word.

All songs in this were derived from a CD except as described here. All extended versions were from a DVD. Also the song “Duba Taara.” I tried to clean up their noise. Most of these songs came out pretty good. I am also missing one more song from this album. This is shown in the table below in red italics. Apparently there are some versions of this song floating around. If anyone of you have it, please kindly share with us.

Now for a description of these songs and the songs themselves …

can sombody upload this album VINYL RIP only

thanks in advance

taiyab

+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 10:20 PM