Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Shamshad Begum Pictures Ndtv Interview

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shamshad Begum Pictures Ndtv Interview
sbfan
post Jun 12 2005, 10:22 AM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1475

Hi

Most of the members must have seen the Shamshad begum interview on NDTV,Star news.I present pictures of her whcih i have taken from net.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
MERI NEENDON MEIN TUM
MERE KHWABON MEIN TUM

LONG LIVE SHAMSHAD BEGUM
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brgarg
post Jul 1 2005, 06:10 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 1997

QUOTE(ashish2345 @ Jun 12 2005, 10:22 AM)
Hi

Most of the members must have seen the Shamshad begum interview on NDTV,Star news.I present pictures of her whcih i have taken from net.

Sorry sir, I missed this oppprtunity of viewing this great singer in her long awaited interview. Thx for the lovely photographs.
+Quote Post
sbfan
post Jul 1 2005, 06:56 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Hi

Can anyone provide the audio version of the interview.Urzung ji please help.
It appeared on google groups, Uploaded by Mr jha there.

Thanks in advance
Ashish

MERI NEENDON MEIN TUM
MERE KHWABON MEIN TUM

LONG LIVE SHAMSHAD BEGUM
IPB Image
+Quote Post
nm007
post Jul 1 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 2636

Thanks for those pictures, If an audio becomes available, that will be great!

+Quote Post
Priya
post Jul 1 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
Member No.: 25

A link to the audio version of the interview along with 4 pics was provided on yahoo sks a long time back. I could not dl it due to a bad connection at the time. But some of the members of the grp must have it. Will enquire and let U know. I too am dying to hear the interview. sad1.gif

IPB Image
+Quote Post
nm007
post Jul 1 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 2636

QUOTE(priya @ Jul 1 2005, 10:15 AM)
A link to the audio version of the interview along with 4 pics was provided on yahoo sks a long time back. I could not dl it due to a bad connection at the time. But some of the members of the grp must have it. Will enquire and let U know. I too am dying to hear the interview. sad1.gif

That will be great, (and just found out that I can not download anyway, it would be better if it were a yahoo link)

+Quote Post
Priya
post Jul 1 2005, 08:15 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

The link has long since expired. sad1.gif If the file is uled on yahoogrps will inform U guys here.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Pulkit
post Jul 2 2005, 01:34 PM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 71

Yeps Priya

You must put on a request on SKS or why not enquire Ummer? I had a chance to watch Shamshad Begum's interview on Doordarshan long back, she was so full of zest and humor. The interview is still afresh in my mind and she sang few lines from some of her songs like- Naina bahaye neer, boojh mera kyaa nam re, sawan ke nazare hain, etc.
+Quote Post
sbfan
post Jul 2 2005, 03:44 PM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pulkit @ Jul 2 2005, 01:34 PM)
Yeps Priya

You must put on a request on SKS or why not enquire Ummer? I had a chance to watch Shamshad Begum's interview on Doordarshan long back, she was so full of zest and humor. The interview is still afresh in my mind and she sang few lines from some of her songs like- Naina bahaye neer, boojh mera kyaa nam re, sawan ke nazare hain, etc.

Hi Pulkit

Yes though I do not have pleasure to view that doordarshan interview, but i had known that it was on DD-Metro hosted by poonam Dhillon. It will be very rare to get that as it was very long time back.The second interview was hosted on ndtv after the release of the remix songs ,and anxiety was created that who is shamshad begum after the rumour that she was dead.

I too missed the audio recordings on google groups that was posted by Mr jha there. But some mebers of hamaraforums are having it as viewd from google groups.

I request them to upload them.

Pulkit can you give the other details of that dd interview

Regards

Ashish
Regards

MERI NEENDON MEIN TUM
MERE KHWABON MEIN TUM

LONG LIVE SHAMSHAD BEGUM
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Pulkit
post Jul 2 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Dear Ashish

I also have an interview of hers in a magazine article, will trace it out and post. As far as Dd interview is concerned, I mentioned that the interview is really fresh in my mind so here we go.................

Ques: how and when were you initially drawn towards singing?
Shamshad Begum: Since childhood. Actually, in school when we used to have morning prayer so few teachers felt that my voice stood out. I was called to stand in the front and lead. At home, our family was strict with regard to singing, my brother used to even scold me if I sang a song. But, my uncle really encouraged me and persuaded everyone that I had exceptional talent which must be groomed and so I started singing. I gave in to my family's wish that I would never act or face camera and was not even fond of getting my snaps clicked. Initially, I sang non-film songs which became very popular. My first film song was for Yamla Jat, composed my Master Ghulam Haider.

Ques: How did you find the switch over to playback?
SB: In those days, studios in Lahore were poorly equipped, dusty and dirty, one mike used to be placed which was shared by singers, musicians and chorus......amidst these dusty surroundings we used to stand and sing...'ahaa ahaa sawan ke nazare hain....' (Laughs). When I was called at Bombay for Mehboob Khan's Taqdeer, recordist Billimoria had arranged three mikes. I was initially surprised but was extremely happy when he told me that one mike was specially reserved for me. Thereafter, I became spoilt and felt extremely uncomfortable by the thought of sharing the mike (laughs).

sings the song:boojh mera kyaa naam re.....................

Ques: According to you, which is your most popular song?
SB: 'chhod babul ka ghar mohe pee ke nagar'....without fail this song is played at all marriages. In fact when my daughter got married the band played this song and though initially I was sobbing, as soon as I heard this tune I started laughing that they were playing my song on my daughter's wedding (laughs).

Ques: Why did you quit singing?
SB: I always did so much to encourage yound people but none of them once they became famous reciprocated. When they didn't book me for their assignments I became disenchanted with film industry and thought what was the use and so I left the industry. Now, I live a quiet and peaceful life, far away from film industry. But I'm still very fond of singing, often in the day I lock myself in a room of my house and sing for hours.......I can't feel alive without singing............
sings: naina bahaaye neer......................sawan ke nazare hain....................
+Quote Post
Priya
post Jul 3 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Pulkit is that all? Or are U gonna post in installments?
I was planning to catch Ummer next time he arrived here but missed him. sad1.gif
Ya will post a mssg on sks but no one is around these days. sad1.gif

IPB Image
+Quote Post
urzung khan
post Jul 3 2005, 06:01 AM
Post #12

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1470

QUOTE(Pulkit @ Jul 2 2005, 10:53 PM)
Dear Ashish

I also have an interview of hers in a magazine article, will trace it out and post. As far as Dd interview is concerned, I mentioned that the interview is really fresh in my mind so here we go.................

Ques: how and when were you initially drawn towards singing?
Shamshad Begum: Since childhood. Actually, in school when we used to have morning prayer so few teachers felt that my voice stood out. I was called to stand in the front and lead. At home, our family was strict with regard to singing, my brother used to even scold me if I sang a song. But, my uncle really encouraged me and persuaded everyone that I had exceptional talent which must be groomed and so I started singing. I gave in to my family's wish that I would never act or face camera and was not even fond of getting my snaps clicked. Initially, I sang non-film songs which became very popular. My first film song was for Yamla Jat, composed my Master Ghulam Haider.

Ques: How did you find the switch over to playback?
SB: In those days, studios in Lahore were poorly equipped, dusty and dirty, one mike used to be placed which was shared by singers, musicians and chorus......amidst these dusty surroundings we used to stand and sing...'ahaa ahaa sawan ke nazare hain....' (Laughs). When I was called at Bombay for Mehboob Khan's Taqdeer, recordist Billimoria had arranged three mikes. I was initially surprised but was extremely happy when he told me that one mike was specially reserved for me. Thereafter, I became spoilt and felt extremely uncomfortable by the thought of sharing the mike (laughs).

sings the song:boojh mera kyaa naam re.....................

Ques: According to you, which is your most popular song?
SB: 'chhod babul ka ghar mohe pee ke nagar'....without fail this song is played at all marriages. In fact when my daughter got married the band played this song and though initially I was sobbing, as soon as I heard this tune I started laughing that they were playing my song on my daughter's wedding (laughs).

Ques: Why did you quit singing?
SB: I always did so much to encourage yound people but none of them once they became famous reciprocated. When they didn't book me for their assignments I became disenchanted with film industry and thought what was the use and so I left the industry. Now, I live a quiet and peaceful life, far away from film industry. But I'm still very fond of singing, often in the day I lock myself in a room of my house and sing for hours.......I can't feel alive without singing............
sings: naina bahaaye neer......................sawan ke nazare hain....................

" My first film song was for Yamla Jat, composed my Master Ghulam Haider."
She goofed.
Her first filmi song was in a Punjabi movie 'sassi punnu' produced in
Calcutta in 1937-38:
' punnuun diye muurte nii, muh.nvon kyon naiin boldi'
+Quote Post
sbfan
post Jul 3 2005, 11:12 AM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pulkit @ Jul 2 2005, 11:23 PM)
Dear Ashish

Thanks a lot pulkit for this excerpt .Hope you locate the magazine .

From ndtv interview I remember one question

"Q- Did you receive any awards ?

Shamshad Begum--I never long for any award.In those days when people watched my movies, the
appaluse they give in cinema was the award because it came from the masses. "

As mentioned in your interview she kept her promise never had her photographed and we have only one snap of hers

She helped almost each music director from naushad,O.P.Nayyar,Madan Mohan,chitragupt.C ramachandran ,S,d Burman even R.d. Burman's first movie
I think it was Gulam mohammed who used her even when others left her.
Thanks Pulkit once again
regards

ashish

MERI NEENDON MEIN TUM
MERE KHWABON MEIN TUM

LONG LIVE SHAMSHAD BEGUM
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Inaam
post Jul 3 2005, 11:46 AM
Post #14

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 187

QUOTE(Pulkit @ Jul 2 2005, 11:23 PM)
Dear Ashish

Thank you very much Pulkit bow.gif maza aagya tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Pulkit
post Jul 3 2005, 07:08 PM
Post #15

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

This was an article written by Lata who contrbutes reguarly on film personalities. Some of her other articles include those on Geeta Dutt, Mubarak Begum and Manorama.

'I had no training or encouragement at home'

Shamshad Begum, the undisputed melody queen of yesteryear, lives the life of a recluse today. This reclusiveness gives her an aura of mystery befitting her personality. She was, and remains, a reserved person. If she is known and loved today -- six decades after
she began singing -- it is for her immortal voice and unforgettable songs like Piya ke ghar aaj pyari dulhaniya chali (Aan), Kahin pe nigahen kahin pe nishaana (CID), Kahe koyal shor machaye re (Aag), O leke pehla pehla pyar (CID) and Ye duniya roop ki chor (Shabnam).

Born on April 19, 1919, Shamshad belonged to a large family of 12
children. She discovered her love for music early in life, but her
conservative father didn't encourage her to train in music. Fortunately, her uncle loved music and persuaded her father to send her for a music test which was being held by the popular music company Jenaphone. She was selected as the company's artiste when she was just 13. Her first songs were non-film numbers which became so popular that she was invited to sing on the radio. For five years, Shamshad ruled the radio. When films did happen to her finally, she was already a known name.

"Most of what I sang in those days was non-film stuff because the
talkies had just started in 1931 and not too many songs were
incorporated in films in the first few years. I remember one song which
became almost an anthem in those days -- Ik baar phir kaho zara --
but it didn't belong to any film," she smiles.

Lahore was then the hub of the film industry and Dalsukh Pancholi of
Dalsukh Arts the biggest film-maker of the time. Playback singing had
started in Bombay, but hadn't yet reached Lahore. When it did,
Shamshad Begum had the honour of becoming the very first playback
artiste for Pancholi Arts. It opened the gates for a stream of successful films -- Khazanchi, Khandaan, Pagli, Shukriya, Yamaljat. At times, even indifferent films did great business, partly because films were such a novelty and partly because of the music. And Shamshad was right at the top of the bracket. Even Lata Mangeshkar once told her, "No one has seen the kind of stardom and respect that you did!"

Her voice was unmistakable. Saawan ke nazare hain (Khazanchi)
drove audiences crazy across the country. It was at this time that
Shamshad was invited to Bombay. She refused to leave her beloved
Lahore till Mehboob Khan personally requested her to. This was in
1942 for the film Taqdeer, which marked the Nargis's debut. Shamshad
came to Bombay, she sang and she conquered. Mehboob Khan signed her on to sing for all his films.

But the times were difficult. The second World War was on and
bureaucratic control overshadowed everything else. Shamshad had to
return to Lahore, but not before Navyug Chitrapat, a Pune-based
company booked her to sing. The film was Panna, another big hit.

While she was with Pancholi Arts in Lahore, its composer was Master
Ghulam Haider. If anyone could claim to have taught Shamshad
anything, it was Haider. He is the one who gave a professional touch to
her singing. Haider had come to Bombay by this time. Shamshad too,
finally decided to settle down here because most of the work was then
concentrated in Bombay.

In 1943, K Asif made Phool and Shamshad was the lead playback
singer in the film. Yet again, this film went on to become a big hit and reaffirmed Shamshad's status as the reigning superstar.

Subsequently, she was considered to be the lucky mascot for every
budding composer. Her spontaneous, open-throated style of singing
brought alive each and every word of a song. All the composers
approached her to lend her voice to their songs. She obliged, and often, for less than her usual fee because newcomers could not afford her.

Looking back, Shamshad says, "I really don't know how I got into films.
I had no training or encouragement at home. But I had been singing as
far back as I can remember. When I joined school in Lahore, we used
to sing a prayer before our classes started. All of us sang in chorus. One day the principal announced that there was one voice that stood out
among the rest. It was me. I was made to stand on a school bench and
lead the school prayer after that. It was my first public exposure."

There was not a single big name she didn't work for in Bombay. Leading music composers like Naushad Ali, Anil Biswas Sajjad Khan, C ramchandra, Chitragupt, Shankar-Jaikishen snapped her up. She sang
for practically all of Mehboob Khan's films.
Naushad got her to sing for as many as 19 super hit films. Who can
forget the beautiful songs from Aan, Leader, Mela, Shahjehan and so
on? Chhod babul ka ghar (from Aan) remains the favourite bidaai
song till today.

Shamshad sang for S D Burman's first Filmistan movie Shehnai. The
song, Yeh duniya roop ki chor catapulated him to the top rung of
composers. He made Shamshad sing this song in 12 different ways
symbolising the 12 months.

She had already sung in over 50 films before she came to Bombay, so
she was always treated with awe. Says her daughter Usha, "Mummy
was always very mature in dealing with people. There was nothing
flighty or silly about her. She was also very principled. She never
compromised on her work, never cancelled dates, never acted starry
even at the peak of her career. She spoke formally to people, discussed
her work and returned home. Throughout her career she remained an
artiste, never did she become a businesswoman cultivating people in
order to get work."

The legendary singer talks about how music was made in those days.
"Our songs were played and our producers earned money. Today, you
have to pay to get your songs played. I'll narrate an incident. When my
songs became popular, Ghulam Haider got a hike in his payment. I
hesitantly asked him to give me a hike as well. He told me to approach
Pancholi. So I went to Pancholi. He greeted me politely and asked me
to sit. When I told him what I had come for he immediately asked how
much I wanted. I used to get Rs 100 for a song, so I asked for Rs 700.
He agreed. I was thrilled. Then he said, 'Even if you'd asked me for Rs
2000 even, I'd have agreed!' I told him to give it to me, but he replied, 'I'm a businessman first. I'll pay you what you asked for.' So that was that," she recalls.

Shamshad became a legend very early in life and her generosity was
even more legendary. Her magnanimity, non-assertive nature and
professional approach earned her the fond nickname 'appa' in the film
industry.

But unfortunately, Shamshad's life became a series of generous gestures, to the extent that sometimes composers used her to get a platform before moving on to other singers. Madan Mohan, who had beseeched her to sing for his debut film Aankhen, turned to Lata Mangeshkar, O P Nayyar, who just couldn't compose without her at one time (Aasman, CID, Aar Paar) focussed his attention on Asha Bhosle.

During this time, Shamshad's faith in God stood her in good stead. It
never occurred to her to cultivate composers or appoint agents to do
her work. She maintained her dignity and her professionalism throughout
her career, preferring to go into oblivion if destiny willed it for her. Today, she speaks with the dignity of one who has emerged stronger.

Encouragement was something she never had. Shamshad, herself a
Muslim, married G L Batto, a Punjabi lawyer. "When I got married, my
husband was just not the sort of man who would want his wife to sing
but I made it a condition that I wouldn't quit. Thereafter, he didn't stop me, but when our daughter was born he was very strict with her.
Though she too had a good voice, she was not allowed to train," rues
the mother.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:12 AM