Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Enforcement Of Id3 Tags In All Song Files

Closed TopicStart new topic
> Enforcement Of Id3 Tags In All Song Files
rafian
post Jun 1 2009, 03:18 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Angels
Member No.: 328

Hi Rafians,

Over the years, we must've uploaded and downloaded hundreds or thousands of songs, but over a period of time the details of these songs are lost. For example you would've downloaded a rare song say a year ago and today you may not be able to name the composer, lyricist or movie name. It would be great if we could enforce a policy of setting the ID3 tags correctly for all uploaded songs.

Basically we need a mechanism to ensure that all uploaded songs have the ID3 tags correctly set. Once we follow this policy then users could upload songs without any textual information about the songs in their posts. It could actually save members' time.

What do you guys think about this idea? It would be great if you could suggest ways to ensure that all the mp3 files follow a uniform standard which will help us precisely identify the stats of each song forever. I am sure you guys have much better ideas than I do so please chip in.

People who don't have a clue about ID3 tags might want to read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3

Rafi Bhakth,
Rafian
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
manish7
post Jun 2 2009, 05:57 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 50972

of course your intent is very good but i doubt it can be carried out by everyone for various reasons. i myself have given up on PROPERLY tagging my songs. if the file name has the title written in reasonable hinglish then i have no problems. md name is helpful but the rest are nice but not necessary for me. when i listen to songs, i usually create playlists e.g. kishore chitragupta or rafi sad songs. instead of spending valuable hours to sort music, i just listen. having knowledge of the song and its title is all i need. then later i can read a geet kosh or nerurkar data base book and the titles in the book just jump on my eyes (as i know the songs) and i can then find out who the md, movie, year etc are. i put the two together so quickly, casually, and for many songs. you'd be amazed how easily your brain can remember all that (especially if you like the song a lot). this is more effective, efficient, and something a lot of people can carry out. it's not as organized and linear as listening to a library of properly tagged songs but you do reach the same result in terms of knowledge. the next time i need to retrieve a song, i just type its name in hinglish through my windows / media monkey indexing and the song is available to me quickly!

i think your goal will be better accomplished if the electronic hindi film geet kosh is ever made public. then we'd have a universal standard reference to all songs. looking for "insaaf ka mandir hai yeh" ? that's song #234234 in the hindi film geet kosh online library. people can cross reference that number to the song and all the info associated with the number get linked. it would almost wipe out any redundant work from all the fans because now everyone has a universal language & reference. plus, the hard work done by har mandir singh does not need to be repeated by other fans as the info is already compiled and organized. this would a great movement for the preservation of classic, music (= culture) imo.

This post has been edited by manish7: Jun 2 2009, 05:59 AM

M A N I S H
+Quote Post
Harjinder
post Jun 2 2009, 06:36 AM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6686

Hi
I tag the songs I download in this order:
Movie name_ Year_Song (First line or identifying refrain)_Singer name(s)_Music Director name(s)_Lyricist name.
For non movie songs I put singer name first.
For known movie songs this works very well. For other songs I use Earth Music Network database to find a downloaded song on my computer's external hard drive.Harjinder

-
+Quote Post
r&d
post Jun 2 2009, 07:12 AM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1955

I have all my songs id3 tagged.
I have been telling people here since 2005.
most people are playing from the filesystem
so most likely can't use the id3. Unless they
start using iTunes or some other program that organizes
files via id3.

plus these people have more than 10000+ mp3s, they
are not about to spend a lot of time edit these tags.
+Quote Post
Exon
post Jun 2 2009, 07:15 AM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 49544

QUOTE(rafian @ Jun 1 2009, 03:18 PM) *

Hi Rafians,

Over the years, we must've uploaded and downloaded hundreds or thousands of songs, but over a period of time the details of these songs are lost. For example you would've downloaded a rare song say a year ago and today you may not be able to name the composer, lyricist or movie name. It would be great if we could enforce a policy of setting the ID3 tags correctly for all uploaded songs.

Basically we need a mechanism to ensure that all uploaded songs have the ID3 tags correctly set. Once we follow this policy then users could upload songs without any textual information about the songs in their posts. It could actually save members' time.

What do you guys think about this idea? It would be great if you could suggest ways to ensure that all the mp3 files follow a uniform standard which will help us precisely identify the stats of each song forever. I am sure you guys have much better ideas than I do so please chip in.

People who don't have a clue about ID3 tags might want to read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3

Rafi Bhakth,
Rafian

IMO, audio-tag and song description in post serve two different purpose. I agree with you that proper id-tag helps members to organize their collection. On the other hand, a post containing full song description remains visible to forum members and search engines for ever. Therefore, audio-tag can not serve as a substitute for song description in a post.

Exon

This post has been edited by Exon: Jun 2 2009, 07:38 AM
+Quote Post
r&d
post Jun 2 2009, 07:49 AM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1955

QUOTE(Exon @ Jun 1 2009, 06:45 PM) *

IMO, audio-tag and song description in post serve two different purpose. I agree with you that proper id-tag helps members to organize their collection. On the other hand, a post containing full song description remains visible to forum members and search engines for ever. Therefore, audio-tag can not serve as a substitute for song description in a post.

Exon

not when several prominent posters simply put all that information in a jpg image.
That does not help anyone. Let see if you can get them to change.
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:15 PM