Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Riddles

28 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Riddles
vivekpm
post Sep 15 2005, 06:18 PM
Post #16

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 120

QUOTE(shivani @ Sep 15 2005, 06:02 PM)
ayoooo Vivekah..
am getting slightly scared of u now..
u r an evil mathematician !!
ye lo ..since you love maths so much
5. A car has a journey of 78 miles to make.
The first half of the journey is uphill, and the second half downhill.
He averages 30 miles an hour to the top of the hill.
How fast must he go down the hill to average 60 miles per hour?

Though I would very much love to be one, but I am not a mathematician sad1.gif. At one point of time, I used to play a lot with numbers. But you seem to have a treasure of puzzles, that keep puzzling me. All good riddles bow.gif

Now this one, is there a finite answer to this one? My calculations tell me that to make 60 miles/hour, he should cover the distance in 78 minutes (obviously) and by the time car reaches on the top of the hill (at 30 miles/hour), it would have taken exactly that much time (to cover 39 miles uphill at 30 miles/.hour).

So I think 60 miles/hour is impossible unless car can travel infinitely fast downhill or have a free fall with infinite acceleration, without being influenced by gravity of course. I better shut up here because I know Physics is not my cup of tea and have seen your inputs on this subject on other thread smile1.gif

Cheers,

V i V e K ...

--------------------------------------------

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
-- Will Durant

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mandrake
post Sep 15 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #17

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2066

VIVEK(PM), YOU ARE NOT TOO GOOD...

YOU ARE BRILLIANTTTTTT!!!!! bow.gif clap1.gif bow.gif clap1.gif bow.gif clap1.gif

Main toh fida ho gaya aapke super-sharp intellect pe thumbs-up.gif

Why don't you start a thread to teach us some more secrets of maths?
(Meri toh life ban jaayegi wink2.gif HF peh seekhoonga aur baahar public ko impression maaroonga wink2.gif)

Vivek, I am serious. Can you pls teach us some maths-fun?

Pls...

Self - belief is the most potent force.
+Quote Post
shivani
post Sep 15 2005, 09:51 PM
Post #18

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2848

mmmm Vivek : ) since you are on roll.. another one...

6. A man is on top of a 20 storied building, when he sees a bear approaching him. To avoid getting killed by bear, he jumps from the building.. (better way of dying maybe tongue.gif). A window cleaner observes that this falling guy took 2 seconds while crossing 18th floor which was 2.2 meters high. So the question is.. What is the color of bear ?
+Quote Post
divz
post Sep 15 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #19

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2049

QUOTE(shivani @ Sep 15 2005, 09:51 PM)

6. A man is on top of a 20 storied building, when he sees a bear approaching him. To avoid getting killed by bear, he jumps from the building.. (better way of dying maybe tongue.gif). A window cleaner observes that this falling guy took 2 seconds while crossing 18th floor which was 2.2 meters high. So the question is.. What is the color of bear ?

Vivek u r damn brilliant in maths....... bow.gif clap1.gif clap1.gif

oye shivani ye kya Q hai... mere ko laga ki koi mathematical hi hoga par yahan to tumne pata nahi kya pooch liya.... blink.gif vaise India me to black bear hi milte hain... tongue.gif laugh.gif

" Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game "
+Quote Post
shivani
post Sep 15 2005, 10:13 PM
Post #20

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

well.. mathematical Question hi hai Divvy smile1.gif and maine kab bola ki ye indi ki baat hai.. think beyond .. think colors
+Quote Post
vivekpm
post Sep 15 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #21

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Mandrake @ Sep 15 2005, 08:41 PM)
VIVEK(PM), YOU ARE NOT TOO GOOD...

YOU ARE BRILLIANTTTTTT!!!!!  bow.gif clap1.gif bow.gif clap1.gif bow.gif clap1.gif

Main toh fida ho gaya aapke super-sharp intellect pe thumbs-up.gif

Why don't you start a thread to teach us some more secrets of maths?
(Meri toh life ban jaayegi wink2.gif HF peh seekhoonga aur baahar public ko impression maaroonga wink2.gif)

Vivek, I am serious. Can you pls teach us some maths-fun?

Pls...

Mandrake, aap khamokha itni taarif kar rahe ho tongue.gif. Aap jaise multi-talented personality ke aage mai kuch bhi nahin bow.gif.

I am simply amazed to see your knowledge on all the various topics that are being discussed on other threads. Then there are many others on HF who have far deeper knowledge of various subjects ranging from Physics to Spirituality. I just wonder, "Jeevan Ki Aapa Dhaapi Main" aap sab kaise itna kuch sheekh lete hai?

On the other hand, I am just a novice, even in Mathematics. I just sometimes think about and play with numbers for fun. I really am not confident that I can teach anyone Mathematics. Someday, I will try though.

Cheers,

V i V e K ...

-- Will Durant

+Quote Post
vivekpm
post Sep 15 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #22

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(shivani @ Sep 15 2005, 09:51 PM)

This reminds me of another problem, a man walks 10 Kms South, then 10 Kms East and then walks 10 Kms North. He finds himself at same position from where he started. But during this time, there is a bear waiting for him there. What is the colour of the bear?

The answer to this one was "White" as if you walk touwards south, then east and then north and reach the same point, you are at North Pole (theoritically). So I guess the answer to your question is also white? Only this time it should be something to do with acceleration due to gravity being more (or less?) at poles. As I said I am not too good with Physics and so it would be great if you/someone can explain?

Cheers,

V i V e K ...

-- Will Durant

+Quote Post
shivani
post Sep 15 2005, 11:56 PM
Post #23

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

well you answered it again Vivekahh blab.gif
It is gravity !!
The approx value of G as per 2.2 mts and 2 secs comes close to 10 .. which is higher than normal.
And since G is more at poles.. it has to be a polar bear.. white : )

too tired to find another one now.. get ready for tomorrow though rollf.gif .. I got a few on probability
+Quote Post
vivekpm
post Sep 16 2005, 12:01 AM
Post #24

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(shivani @ Sep 15 2005, 11:56 PM)
well you answered it again Vivekahh blab.gif
It is gravity !!
The approx value of G as per 2.2 mts and 2 secs comes close to 10 .. which is higher than normal.
And since G is more at poles.. it has to be a polar bear.. white : )

too tired to find another one now.. get ready for tomorrow though rollf.gif .. I got a few on probability

I am running away!!! bye.gif bye.gif

Aaj office mai aadha din puzzles hi solve kiye hai. Ab kal to thoda kaam kar loon. Upar se probability, I better find some place to hide now.

Seems you have a great source for all these puzzles. Keep posting... smile1.gif

Cheers,

V i V e K ...

-- Will Durant

+Quote Post
visuja
post Sep 16 2005, 06:22 AM
Post #25

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2745

Good ones, Shivani .. kahaan se copy-paste kar rahi ho ! wink2.gif blab.gif

Both the polar bear ones and the speed of car one were good. I would never have figured out the polar bear for sure.. car waala shaayad.. but saw the solution before began thinking on it.. too lazy tongue.gif

The doors one... BRILLIANT !! clap1.gif ..still to understand how the perfect squares ka funda ties in to the whole problem... though unsure.gif
Seriously Vivek, I second Mandrake's request ..... u seem to love numbers, and would be great if you could introduce us (resisting to use teach wink2.gif) to some of the interesting 'games' with numbers.

Oh me got the rope one right !! yipppppeeeee ! jump.gif
+Quote Post
divz
post Sep 16 2005, 03:02 PM
Post #26

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

shiv.. kahan ho .. more riddles please......... i too got tht rope one correct.. while the door riddle was far beyond my comprehension..sad1.gif

well still the square no is a night mare for me.. could get it thoroughly... Vivek yaar fir se samjhao jara....smile1.gif

+Quote Post
vivekpm
post Sep 16 2005, 03:24 PM
Post #27

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(divyanjali @ Sep 16 2005, 03:02 PM)
shiv.. kahan ho .. more riddles please......... i too got tht rope one correct.. while the  door riddle was far beyond my comprehension..sad1.gif

well still the square no is a night mare for me.. could get it thoroughly... Vivek yaar fir se samjhao jara....smile1.gif

Ok Divyanjali... let me try. Maine kaha tha naa, I am not good at teaching people tongue.gif

1. If you take any number, it will have at least two divisors, 1 and the number itself.
2. Assume that the number is not a perfect square, for simplicity take an example of 12.
3. Such a number, which is not a perfect square, will always have divisors in pairs.
4. For example, 12 = 3*4. 12 = 2*6. So this makes 3,4 and 2,6 as divisors of 12 along with 1 and 12 (as explained in step 1).
5. Note how all the divisors of a number which is not a perfect square can only occur in pairs.
6. Now take example of a perfect square, say 64.
7. Divisors for 64 will be 1 and 64 (as explained in step 1 above).
8. Apart from this, 64 = 2*32, 64=4*16, 64=8*8.
9. Notice that 2,32 is one pair and 4, 16 is one pair but 8 which is the root of 64 cannot occur in pair.
10. So this way, a perfect square will always have odd number of divisors.

Hope this makes it clear. Let me know if it needs to be more simpler smile1.gif.

Cheers,

V i V e K ...

-- Will Durant

+Quote Post
Mandrake
post Sep 16 2005, 03:34 PM
Post #28

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2066

Monsieur Vivekulus, vous etes tres amazant!!! bow.gif bow.gif

I think this name will do till we come up with a better one wink2.gif

Self - belief is the most potent force.
+Quote Post
vivekpm
post Sep 16 2005, 03:53 PM
Post #29

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Mandrake @ Sep 16 2005, 03:34 PM)
Monsieur Vivekulus, vous avez tres amazant!!! bow.gif bow.gif

JaadugarJi... What does this mean blab.gif ??? Monsieur is Mr. in French? My linguistic capabilities are limited to Eng,Hin,Mar and Guj sad1.gif

Cheers,

V i V e K ...

-- Will Durant

+Quote Post
divz
post Sep 16 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #30

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(vivekpm @ Sep 16 2005, 03:24 PM)
QUOTE(divyanjali @ Sep 16 2005, 03:02 PM)
shiv.. kahan ho .. more riddles please......... i too got tht rope one correct.. while the  door riddle was far beyond my comprehension..sad1.gif

Ok Divyanjali... let me try. Maine kaha tha naa, I am not good at teaching people tongue.gif

1. If you take any number, it will have at least two divisors, 1 and the number itself.
2. Assume that the number is not a perfect square, for simplicity take an example of 12.
3. Such a number, which is not a perfect square, will always have divisors in pairs.
4. For example, 12 = 3*4. 12 = 2*6. So this makes 3,4 and 2,6 as divisors of 12 along with 1 and 12 (as explained in step 1).
5. Note how all the divisors of a number which is not a perfect square can only occur in pairs.
6. Now take example of a perfect square, say 64.
7. Divisors for 64 will be 1 and 64 (as explained in step 1 above).
8. Apart from this, 64 = 2*32, 64=4*16, 64=8*8.
9. Notice that 2,32 is one pair and 4, 16 is one pair but 8 which is the root of 64 cannot occur in pair.
10. So this way, a perfect square will always have odd number of divisors.

Hope this makes it clear. Let me know if it needs to be more simpler smile1.gif.

Cheers,

ya got it.. actually i wanted to ask how u applied this square no concept to the door problem.. but now its clear....smile1.gif completely clear...... rolleyes.gif

Mandrake.. french nahi aati..hindi ya angrezi me likho
smile1.gif

+Quote Post

28 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 21st September 2024 - 12:45 PM