Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

King Khan

, All about the one and only Shahrukh

> King Khan, All about the one and only Shahrukh
Dimple
post Aug 7 2007, 10:32 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 16381

The Shah Rukh Khan Phenomenon
“Shah Rukh Khan is Shah Rukh Khan.” “There’s no one like Shah Rukh Khan.” “Nobody can match Shah Rukh Khan’s Popularity.” These and similar statements are commonly heard. And not just in the film trade but also among the general public. What is it that makes Shah Rukh Khan so different from the others of his ilk? Why in the last 15 years have we never had any actor who has had the same fan following and who could clearly step into his shoes?

What is it that really has made Shah Rukh Khan stand above all the other stars who’ve come after the superstar first made an appearance on the screen in 1992 in Deewana?

Quite simply, Shah Rukh Khan’s string of box-office hits! One after the other, the actor’s films hit the jackpot with such alarming regularity that in the nineties and 2000’s, Shah Rukh Khan became the safest bet for producers, distributors and exhibitors alike. I use the world alike to differentiate the scene that existed when Shah Rukh Khan is the numero uno and the one that exists now.

For instance, a Salman Khan today may guarantee mega-bucks for the producers of his films but there’s no like guarantee that distributors and exhibitors of his starrers will also make money. As in the case of most of his releases before his latest, Tere Naam. While producers of Salman-starrers made table profits, distributors of his films burnt their fingers rather badly when those films flopped. It was after almost two-three years that everybody associated with a Salman-starrer made money in Tere Naam.

Ditto in the case of films of other topline stars like Aamir Khan or others like Ajay Devgan, Akshay Kumar, Sunny Deol or, for that matter, anybody else. Why, even current heartthrob Hrithik Roshan’s films such as Aap Mujhe Achche Lagne Lage and Na Tum Jaano Na Hum entailed heavy losses to its distributors. That is not the case with Shah Rukh Khan Flicks.

Secondly, merely the superstar’s name is enough to draw in the crowds into cinemas in any given day. Today, no hero can boast of such charisma as to lure the audiences to theatres on the sheer strength of their names. Salman Khan’s home production, Auzaar and Hello Brother, could not even manage decent houses on the opening day, leave alone full houses. Aamir Khan has never really drawn initial crowds; his starrers usually pick up by word of mouth publicity if they are good. Even action heroes like Ajay Devgan and Akshay Kumar had had to remain content with dismal opening of their flicks on more occasions then one. But the Shah Rukh Khan magic is one of a kind. Whether it was Aziz Mirza’s Raju Ban Gaya Gentlemen in 1992 or Yash Chopra’s evergreen Darr in 1993, Rakesh Roshan’s multi-star cast Karan Arjun in 1995 or Aditya Chopra’s All Time Blockbuster Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge in 1995, Shah Rukh Khan’s first film with Aishwarya Rai - Josh - in 2000 or Farah Khan’s biggest entertainer, Main Hoon Naa in 2004, the two common features in all these hits were Shah Rukh Khan’s towering presence in them and a bumper box-office initial draw. Yes Boss, Pardes and Dil To Pagal Hai made 1997 a memorable year for the King Khan. The following year may not have been as good but Shah Rukh Khan, nevertheless, did deliver massive hit Kuch Kuch Hota Hai in 1998. The next decade was equally exciting for the superstar. Josh, Mohabbatein, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam, Devdas, Chalte Chalte, Kal Ho Naa Ho, Main Hoon Naa, Veer – Zaara, Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna and Don - The Chase Begins Again is some of the actor’s great hits of the first and second half of the 2000’s.

Of course, when Shah Rukh Khan has reigned supreme, films did have to face the opposition of video and cable piracy. Cinema going was the expensive form of entertainment for the masses that identified with the Lover Boy image of Shah Rukh Khan. Still Shah Rukh Khan delivered Hit after Hit.

Yet another factor that went in Shah Rukh Khan’s favour in making him the darling of all sections of society was his unbelievable versatility. It is not for nothing that the King Khan became a superstar. Although he was adored in Lover Boy roles, Shah Rukh Khan never let down his fans in Action films like Karan Arjun, Ram Jaane, Josh and Main Hoon Naa. Yes Boss and Baadshah come to mind instantly when one thinks of Shah Rukh Khan’s flair for comedy. With equal ease, Shah Rukh Khan also played the intense lover as in Darr and Anjaam. For Art Lovers there was Asoka, Swades and Paheli.

The range which Shah Rukh Khan portrayed in his performances remains unmatched. Today, films do businesses of Rs 10 and 15 crores it is considered good, but Shah Rukh Khan Movie’s continuously do business of 30 Corer’s+.

Shah Rukh Khan is also the last star to have had a universal appeal that cut across geographical boundaries. Whether it was the man on the street in Ludhiana in the North or Latur down South, whether it was a company executive in Porbandar in Western India or a college student studying in Patna in East India, the fondness for Shah Rukh Khan is the same. Today, a Sunny Deol runs more in Northern Indian because of his action image; a Akshay Kumar is a hot favourite of U.P. and Bihar whereas an Aamir Khan flick generally records dull collections in Bihar. That is to say, Shah Rukh Khan’s charm affected the audiences in the North, South, East and West with equal intensity. Not just in India, but across the seven seas too, Shah Rukh Khan reigned supreme. His super-hit stage shows bore testimony to his immense popularity the world over.

Today when jubilees are difficult to get, Shah Rukh Khan’s films celebrated genuine silver, golden, diamond and platinum jubilees. Mohabbatein in 2000 celebrated silver jubilee in as many as 9 cinemas of Mumbai, a record unparalleled! From 2000 onwards Shah Rukh Khan has 19 releases out of which 5 of his Movies completed Silver Jubilees, 2 Golden Jubilees, 1 Diamond Jubilee, 1 Platinum Jubilee and 3 100 Days. Whereas Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge turned out to be the highest running movie of Indian cinema 600 weeks+ (12 Years).

It is not that only Shah Rukh Khan good movies were successful. Even the actor managed to make successes out of ordinary films like Anjaam, Ram Jaane, Army and Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam. Shah Rukh Khan star power can be seen from Super Hit Don – The Chase Begins Again. It was the most worst reviewed movie of 2006, still it collected 51 corers in India and 110 corers Worldwide. Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani, Swades and Paheli which are termed failures by media for producers, distributors and exhibitors it was successful ventures.

Did you know?
1. Shah Rukh Khan is the only actor who gave at least one successful every year since his debut in 1992 Deewana till 2006 Don - The Chase Begins Again.

2. Shah Rukh Khan has acted in 4 films directed by Aziz Mirza (Raju Ban Gaya Gentlemen, Yes Boss, Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani & Chalte Chalte). Rakesh Roshan (King Uncle, Karan Arjun & Koyla), Yash Chopra (Darr, Dil To Pagal Hai and Veer – Zaara) and Karan Johar (Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham & Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna) directed Shah Rukh Khan in 3 films each respectively. Abbas – Mustan (Baazigar & Baadshah), Aditya Chopra (Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge & Mohabbatein), Ketan Mehta (Maya Memsaab & Oh Darling Yeh Hai India) and Rajiv Mehra (Chamtkar & Ram Jaane) directed Super Star Shah Rukh Khan in 2 films each respectively.

3. Shah Rukh Khan has won 13 Filmfare Awards, Out of which 6 has been Best Actor Baazigar, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, Dil To Pagal Hai, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Devdas and Swades, 2 Critic’s Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa (Performance) and Mohabbatein (Best Actor), 2 Power Awards, 1 Villain Anjaam, 1 Debut Deewana and 1 Special Award Swiss Consulate Trophy.

4. Shah Rukh Khan was the 1st actor to win all popular awards for Devdas (Filmfare, Screen, Zee, Sansui, Bollywood Awards & IFFA), which was next year matched by Hrithik Roshan for Koi Mil Gayaa.

5. Shah Rukh Khan is the only actor who has given maximum hits with debut directors. Raj Kanwar (Deewana), Aziz Mirza (Raju Ban Gaya Gentlemen), Aditya Chopra (Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge), Karan Johar (Kuch Kuch Hota Hai), K.S.Adhiyaman (Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam), Nikhil Advani (Kal Ho Naa Ho) & Farah Khan (Main Hoon Naa).

===================================

Shah Rukh Khan is shooting a dreamy number for his home production Om Shanti Om at Yashraj Studios and you wonder whether he can switch into Chak De India mode. He does, telling you all about how he played hockey with his father and how his son can beat him at soccer.

Does your role in Chak De India mirror your real feelings on hockey?

This film is my take on sports in general, hockey, cricket or football, plus the role that women should play in society. See, every year I do a film like that. I love women and make no bones about it. I have an immense amount of respect for them. I think I'm brought up like that because being with my mom early, then my sister, then my wife. Even my best friends are girls, whether it's Farah or Juhi. I like girls more than guys.

Did your father teach you hockey?

Yeah, we used to play together. Like I play hockey with my son. Whatever sport I'm at, my rule is that I teach him for a year and then he should overtake me. In soccer, he's much better than what I was at his age. Of course, he's smaller so I can push him around. Even my daughter — I want her to be a runner and swimmer. Because she's good at that, not because I'm pushing her. I think she runs like a gazelle (laughs). I run with her every evening or whenever we get time. I would like to encourage them and hope they start beating me. My dad did the same. Even in chess.

In your school magazine, you were the star sportsman in hockey, cricket and soccer.

Yeah, I was (grins) but now I don't play as well.

Which was your favourite?

I think I played hockey the best. Then I was a very good wicketkeeper and soccer came next. I wasn't very good at soccer, but I had stamina. You know midfield, running around, giving my life for the game.

Apparently you hated the beard in Chak De...

Yeah yeah, I don't like it. I've never grown a beard. You take a bath, but it doesn't make you look clean in the morning. My daughter wouldn't kiss me.

Yes, during Paheli they hated the moustache…

Yeah, I think my kids hate me with moustaches and beards. Next movie, I'm just going to wear an underwear over tights and be a superhero. They don't like me with all this stuff. I think they have an image of a father in the house who's easygoing and soft, clean-shaven. My daughter gets very disturbed. My son is very conscious of how I dress up. He doesn't like me wearing churidars and achkans. My daughter is very opinionated with my hair, beard, moustache. She'd say, 'I don't like it papa, I won't kiss you.' Even I don't like it. I like my cotton clothes and hair all ruffled.

What do they think of your long hair now?

My daughter is ok with it because she looks a lot more like me now. They don't mind my long hair. See once I bathe, it just flops in front. They like it.

How do youngsters treat sport today as opposed to when you were playing?

I would like my children to be sportspeople above actors, actresses or producers — if they chose to. I would be really proud. I feel proud when I see kids wearing studs on a soccer field. I go every Sunday now to play soccer. I take my son. I have this group that's very good — Dino and all — they allow me to play. I think I must be the oldest there so they are kind to me. I play with my kids — I'm now clearing up a place in my house and asking my wife if we can make a soccer field there. I play any game. I play pittoo with my children, breaking those stones.
You have to sweat in a day. I remember when I initially started doing movies, when I did Dilwale, I didn't think that I had done a good film because I hadn't sweated. It was a love story and I had never done one before that. You have to sweat everyday.

I make it a point to play an hour every day, even if it's Playstation in the night. In my house, we play dog and the bone, langdi, chor sipahi, soccer, badminton, everything. Except swimming, I'm not good at that. My kids are always sweating, always dirty — I love it. I believe kids till the age of 15 should be disheveled, dirty, sweaty, rolling in the mud and have marks all over them. And their shoes should always stink.

"Shikwa nahin kisise, kisise gila nahin,
Naseeb mein nahin tha jo - humko mila nahin
.."

IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Dimple   King Khan   Aug 7 2007, 10:32 AM
Dimple   Brand SRK in his new lean mean avataar talks about...   Aug 8 2007, 10:20 AM
IDOL   ur his fan......................i see...........u ...   Aug 9 2007, 11:13 PM
NATURE   hey bhagwaan, ladkiyon ko khubsoorti ke saath thod...   Aug 10 2007, 11:50 AM
Dimple   Chak de India scores with UK fans Published on Fr...   Aug 10 2007, 01:34 PM
Dimple   He made India swoon. Women couldn't resist SR...   Aug 10 2007, 01:36 PM
Dimple   Chak De London premier video http://www.ibnlive.c...   Aug 10 2007, 02:22 PM
Dimple   From conventional patriotism By: Shradha Sukumaran...   Aug 13 2007, 11:27 AM
Dimple   http://www.zshare.net/download/311905889a2a7a/ Ch...   Aug 14 2007, 11:19 AM
Dimple   Indian Hockey fraternity praises 'Chak De Indi...   Aug 14 2007, 01:30 PM
Dimple   He’s the son of a freedom fighter, a self-made man...   Aug 17 2007, 10:14 AM
Dimple   Shah Rukh Khan on Lead India What makes a leader...   Aug 17 2007, 04:00 PM
Dimple   Tracking the trajectory of a superstar is always a...   Aug 22 2007, 10:39 AM
Dimple   SRK as Gautam Buddha? 21 Aug, 2007 07:38 pm IST ...   Aug 22 2007, 02:23 PM
Dimple   Will Shah Rukh Khan play KBC host in Trainspotting...   Aug 23 2007, 12:21 PM
Dimple   For the first time in his career, Shah Rukh Khan w...   Aug 24 2007, 09:56 AM
Dimple   Hero No, One Rachit Gupta With the success of Cha...   Aug 27 2007, 10:07 AM
Dimple   It’s all about loving SRK 24 Aug 2007, 0000 hrs IS...   Aug 30 2007, 09:58 AM
Dimple   Interview with SRK done by a Dutch Reporter ----...   Sep 4 2007, 10:42 AM
Dimple   Enough trouble is brewing on the home front to kee...   Sep 7 2007, 11:15 AM
Dimple   SRK and A. R. Rahman among Indian American Achieve...   Sep 7 2007, 02:21 PM
Dimple   Six-pack samasya! Suresh Nair Shah Rukh Khan...   Sep 11 2007, 10:12 AM
Dimple   Blog: An open letter to Shahrukh Khan By Indi...   Sep 13 2007, 11:18 AM
Dimple   "Today, every superstar is removing his shirt...   Sep 13 2007, 11:23 AM
HumTum   Here's are some pictures of SRK. :wink:   Sep 13 2007, 11:53 AM
Dimple   Yes thank you :) they are from the latest mostaw...   Sep 13 2007, 01:00 PM
HumTum   That's right. In case you have not checked the...   Sep 13 2007, 01:11 PM
Dimple   Thanks once again... I have seen the promos - they...   Sep 13 2007, 01:34 PM
HumTum   It's my pleasure. :D   Sep 13 2007, 02:03 PM
Dimple   Two hours late, but SRK is forgiven -------------...   Sep 14 2007, 09:43 AM
Dimple   Shah Rukh Khan feels he is capable of acting witho...   Sep 14 2007, 10:31 AM
Dimple   Blog: An open letter to Shahrukh Khan By Indi...   Sep 14 2007, 10:49 AM
Dimple   Shah Rukh Khan in Danny Boyle’s 'Slumdog Milli...   Sep 18 2007, 12:37 PM
Dimple   Shah Rukh Khan denies 'Om Shanti Om' being...   Sep 19 2007, 10:15 AM
IDOL   Shah Rukh Khan denies 'Om Shanti Om' bei...   Sep 19 2007, 11:05 PM
Dimple   Idol you also seem to be SRK fan, right ? ;) more...   Sep 20 2007, 10:44 AM
Dimple   Heil Shah Rukh! By: Upala KBR September...   Sep 24 2007, 10:44 AM
Dimple   SRK on cover of L'Officiel -----------------...   Sep 24 2007, 04:23 PM
Dimple   ShahRukh Khan to attend Twenty20 World Cup final ...   Sep 24 2007, 04:50 PM
Dimple   Howzzzat! By: Upala KBR September 25, 2...   Sep 25 2007, 09:39 AM
Dimple   Shah Rukh Khan cheers team India to victory 24th S...   Sep 25 2007, 09:50 AM
Dimple   Mushtaq Sheikh pens 'The Making of Om Shanti O...   Oct 1 2007, 10:33 AM
Dimple   Weak in Hindi, child SRK wanted to become a sports...   Oct 1 2007, 11:29 AM
Dimple   When Shah Rukh Khan was left overwhelmed 03rd Oct ...   Oct 3 2007, 09:31 AM
Dimple   SRKis Dish TV's brand ambassador ------------...   Oct 4 2007, 10:05 AM
Dimple   Shah Rukh Khan rules the hearts and minds of the J...   Oct 8 2007, 03:58 PM
Dimple   'Chak De India' about women's empowerm...   Oct 17 2007, 09:26 AM
Dimple   'Chak De India' wins Best Film award in Sy...   Oct 19 2007, 09:23 AM
Dimple   By IndiaFM News Bureau, October 19, 2007 - 12:08 I...   Oct 19 2007, 12:36 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   Kinng & King cornered By: Upala KBRDate: 2008-...   Oct 20 2008, 10:15 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   This piece of news will not sound good to Shahrukh...   Oct 20 2008, 10:24 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   Just three days remaining for the ‘Temptationsâ€...   Oct 20 2008, 10:54 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   SRK's apology IndiaGlitz [Monday, October 20,...   Oct 21 2008, 09:55 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   Your appearance at the Drona premiere was termed a...   Oct 27 2008, 01:59 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi – Movie Preview and Slidesho...   Nov 12 2008, 09:52 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   I'm a schizo on the loose: Shah Rukh 11 Nov 20...   Nov 12 2008, 09:58 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   Mumbai: Though Shah Rukh Khan has yet to start doi...   Nov 14 2008, 05:48 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   Finally, Shahrukh Khan mil gaya By ApunKaChoice ...   Nov 18 2008, 09:27 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   It’s a title bout for Shah Rukh Agencies Sunday...   Nov 24 2008, 11:59 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   Mumbai mayhem left Shah Rukh 'speechless' ...   Dec 3 2008, 12:21 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   By Taran Adarsh, December 12, 2008 - 16:56 IST ...   Dec 15 2008, 02:19 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   SRK makes heads turn at the 66th Annual Golden Glo...   Jan 14 2009, 09:59 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   Coming back to KKR, what is your take on cheerlead...   Mar 11 2009, 01:53 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   A BMW DATE WITH SRK He is in a lot of pain but ta...   Mar 14 2009, 05:55 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   THE PAGE 3 POWERLISTERS ... Mukesh Ambani and ...   Mar 27 2009, 05:48 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   Shah Rukh Khan to walk the ramp for Manish Malhotr...   Mar 28 2009, 04:28 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   Shah Rukhs speech: (starboxoffice.com) SRK: We...   Apr 11 2009, 04:10 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   Shah Rukh To Fly Down With His Team From South Afr...   Apr 28 2009, 03:33 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   Shah Rukh Khan signs 3 year deal to host IIPM quiz...   Jun 9 2009, 12:50 PM
ragam-tanam-pallavi   Shah Rukh Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan me an ...   Jul 10 2009, 03:23 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   Shah Rukh Khan gets ridiculed on US television? 26...   Aug 26 2009, 12:27 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   The music grows to a crescendo. The girls dance wi...   Sep 9 2009, 03:04 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   The music grows to a crescendo. The girls dance wi...   Sep 9 2009, 03:13 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   On the patch-up trail Subhash Ghai ended the 16...   Oct 27 2009, 03:15 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   Top honchos get ready for the other marathon of th...   Oct 30 2009, 05:29 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   Private B'day bash for SRK Meena Iyer , TNN 2 ...   Nov 2 2009, 10:03 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   BMC rushes to better road outside Mannat Better m...   Nov 10 2009, 10:29 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   Now, a Katrina-Shah Rukh Khan love story? Prithwis...   Nov 17 2009, 03:03 PM
IDOL   Now, a Katrina-Shah Rukh Khan love story? Prithwi...   Dec 1 2010, 01:22 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   MY NAME IS KHAN: Silence creates huge hyp November...   Dec 2 2009, 11:05 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   My Name is Khan selected for Berlin Film Festival ...   Dec 16 2009, 11:25 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   Sharukh Khan spreads his magic on Amul Music Ka Ma...   Jan 20 2010, 10:12 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   MUMBAI: Bollywood has finally made it to the moon....   Jan 25 2010, 11:14 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   Shah Rukh's $300,000 wax double to be unv...   Jan 28 2010, 02:32 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   'MNIK' becomes highest Bollywood grosser i...   Mar 4 2010, 10:53 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   Karan Johar's inputs were implemented in Ra1 ...   Jun 1 2010, 02:08 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   Visitors at SRK's Ra.One sets face some of the...   Jun 17 2010, 11:56 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   SRK with photographer Daboo Ratnani's daughter...   Sep 8 2010, 05:11 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   Wired straight from Berlin SC Posted On ...   Oct 13 2010, 10:23 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   The Baadshah of Bollywood, Shah Rukh Khan aka SRK ...   Nov 4 2010, 12:11 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   SRK shoots for Zor Ka Jhatka, briefly Rachana Dube...   Jan 3 2011, 03:15 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   Shah Rukh Khan-Vishal Bhardwaj film on Chetan Bhag...   Jan 4 2011, 02:39 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   Shah Rukh Khan to do Dhoom 5? TNN | Mar 25, 2011, ...   Mar 25 2011, 12:46 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   A Star As A Businessman What value does Shah Rukh ...   May 11 2011, 02:24 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   Schumacher to promote SRK's RA.One at Formula ...   Sep 8 2011, 02:46 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   I am tired of comparisons: Shah Rukh Khan SOUMITRA...   Oct 4 2011, 12:21 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   Shah Rukh Khan and Priyanka Chopra- What's coo...   Oct 5 2011, 02:48 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   November 4, 2011 | You might not expect an India...   Nov 8 2011, 11:14 AM
Sharmila-Sweet   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiS4io142c...mp;no...   Apr 25 2012, 12:47 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 08:13 AM